Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs 90125 the most underrated Yes album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 14:06
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Don't know what is wrong with 80's Rush. Besides producing Moving Pictures, it also has Hold Your Fire and Signals.

All of which are great albums. 

I just don't like it, can't tell you why really. The production certainly degrades the quality a bit, with those cheesy eighties synths. Also I think that Geddy's voice used to be raw and passionate, and towards the eighties he's just singing with that horrible high pitched voice of his, like he gave up trying to have any emotion behind it. 
scottkahn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 20:06
To me, it's one of the best Yes albums. I was a teen in the '80s, and it was 90125 that got me hooked on Yes. I didn't go back to their classic material until a few years later. Trevor was  huge influence on me as a guitar player in a way that Steve Howe never was. 

I just finished an interview with Jon Anderson for MusicPlayers.com, and we talked a lot about the Rabin years, among lots of other cool stuff. That interview will be published next month, btw... 

but to get to part of our conversation, the reason Talk sounds so good is that Jon and Trevor collaborated heavily on the songwriting, so it has a more classic Yes vibe to it. Big Generator was trying to chase the success of 90125, and the band had been working on the songs for six months before they brought Jon in. But for Talk, he worked with Trevor from much earlier in the songwriting process.

I still love BG, too, though :-).

scott

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 13:06
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

The debut is obviously the most underrated Yes album.

^ this Clap
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 14:56
I like all the Trevor Rabin albums expect Union.   I know it's a sin, but I feel The Big Generator is one of my top 10 Yes albums.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 15:06
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I like all the Trevor Rabin albums expect Union.   I know it's a sin, but I feel The Big Generator is one of my top 10 Yes albums.

Not a sin, I like Big Generator a lot, too.
Union is Onion indeed.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 03:50
I liked 90125 when it came out; I thought Yes did an excellent job to reinvent themselves but it has not worn well with time...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 05:12
Heaven And Earth is the most underrated Yes album........
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 17:08
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I liked 90125 when it came out; I thought Yes did an excellent job to reinvent themselves but it has not worn well with time...

yeah... I wouldn't call it the most underrated... I'd call it the most unappreciated Yes album. Drama is the one I'd tag more with being the most underrated

Like or hate the direction they took, if one was to look at the album simply for what it was, rather than what it WAS NOT, it was a great album.

Old fans loved it, and those oblvious or simply too young to know or appreciate their 70's output got into the group.. and a great many later gravitated to the 70's albums.  Genesis made great albums in the 80's as well, but at the cost of alienating many past fans. Yes reinvented themselves.. yet kept many old fans. It was still... Yes.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 20:23
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Heaven And Earth is the most underrated Yes album........

I actually listened to it once, and my head didn't explode!  

Considering most of the reviews, you may have a point - however, I don't hear much of enduring quality on H & E.  
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 18:26
It depends on what you value in music. 90125 has nothing that I value, so I don't really care how it's rated
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 22:49
^Yeah, I tried a few days ago to listen to 90125 in the car in the hope that I had misjudged it, but it was agonizing to sit through even in that setting.  I'm not a fan of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" but I still feel that it was actually the best thing on the album, and that's not saying much... too bad "Cinema" was so short, it could have had the makings of a good intro.

As far as the most underrated Yes album, though, I don't think it is 90125 because I run into so many people who LOVE this one.  From what I've seen I'd think the most underrated one is Talk.  It's this very satisfying blend of classic rock and prog, but it never, ever, seems to be even mentioned... whereas 90125 gets talked about all the time.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 21:11
Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

^Yeah, I tried a few days ago to listen to 90125 in the car in the hope that I had misjudged it, but it was agonizing to sit through even in that setting.  I'm not a fan of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" but I still feel that it was actually the best thing on the album, and that's not saying much... too bad "Cinema" was so short, it could have had the makings of a good intro.

As far as the most underrated Yes album, though, I don't think it is 90125 because I run into so many people who LOVE this one.  From what I've seen I'd think the most underrated one is Talk.  It's this very satisfying blend of classic rock and prog, but it never, ever, seems to be even mentioned... whereas 90125 gets talked about all the time.

For me, most of Talk is very similar to what Yes did with the other 2 Trevor albums. But "Endless Dream" alone is enough to mark this album as my favourite from this line-up, and the most proggy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 21:36
^Generally agreed, but I think Talk breaks completely away from that '80s feel and winds up in a more mature (and less hokey) area of classic rock... and agreed, "Endless Dream" is fantastic.  I love those wild bow bow bew BOW bew bow bow bow BOW sounds in it.  So different.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 04:38

When it came out, I was just glad Yes hadn't died, especially since I was interested to see what this unknown Rabin and a re-introduced Kaye would provide. I got more than I expected. And it was EVERYWHERE, even in DANCE CLUBS(!) A monster of a seller.

But that's 30 years ago. Today, I appreciate that it gave them a shot in the arm, but listen only to a few tracks with any real pleasure: Cinema, and Hearts.

What I find though, on this site, is that this tends to show the real divide between some of the fans of Steve Howe and those of the band as a whole. Trevor Rabin is, IMHO, mostly underrated.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 12:53
I think "The Big Generator" or " Talk" is Yes's most under rated albums.  And, I feel ABWH is a masterpiece.  Besides the "too many cooks  in the kitchen disaster of  the Union album",  I have to say,  I love  80's thru early 90's Yes.   Trevor Rabin's Yes and ABWH are so much better than ASIA. 
Yet, I have difficult time with every Yes album after Magnification. 

I understand Yes fans going for the #1 band of all time,  and expecting  the sister of "Fragile", Close to the Edge, or Relayer.   But if prog music is a progression, then I would have to say that Yes progressed thru the 80's,  and the Yes regression started somewhere in the late 90's.  Since the late 90's I've been listening to an excruciating slow motion train wreck, with hope inspiring sweet notes such as '\Magnification interspersed in between the album wreckage. 

As an epicurean,  if the music makes me happy I like it,  whether it's close to edge or not.  I try not to spoil my listening experience with comparisons to The Yes Album...  How do I listen?  I pretend it's a new band and I listen.  And,  that's why I love the Trevor Rabin Yes.   If the Rabin era "Yes" had stuck with the name "Cinema" they wouldn't have sold as many albums, but "Cimema" wouldn't have incurred the wrath of so many Yes fans in the long distance run around. Wink  Squire and Anderson used Trevor to chart new territory.  And yet, I feel Steve Howe may be the best guitarist of all time.   It's not Trevor Rabin's fault that he replaced Steve Howe for a dozen years of Yes songs!Smile 

Would you have preferred Steve Howe's Asia songs and guitar licks to Trevor Rabin's?  Yes?Thumbs Up  No? Thumbs Down

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 21 2015 at 13:02
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 18:19
I rented 90125 in my local library last year. I tried more than a couple to deal with this record. Come on, guys, let's admit it: it's not that everything is awful on this album, but it can't compete with the 70's Yes material in strict terms of writing!
90125 sounds like a ton of other 80's rock music made to conquer the FM waves: "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is rather poor from a musical point of view, "Changes" offers no surprise... And I can't even remember the music of the other songs, all of them being as forgettable as a Foreigner anthology!
To re-estimate Drama is something to be done (even if I don't enjoy a lot, but it's not bad), but 90125 is so generic that it can't even be seen as an alternative to, let's say, Boston or Journey!

And for something completely different, Heaven and Earth sounds a Mike Oldfield album.

Er, I meant: a modern Mike Oldfield album (those having listened to Man on the Rocks know what I mean).
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 00:19

Would you have preferred Steve Howe's Asia songs and guitar licks to Trevor Rabin's?  Yes?Thumbs Up  No? Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up  Actually, I do. I find Rabin's work with Yes to be kind of heavy handed and obvious, whereas the Asia songs are at least kind of fun and a bit lighthearted.  I was listening to the 2006 Asia concert from Tokyo the other day, and the solos on Heat of the Moment are a pleasure. Not profound (okay, it's Asia after all and profound was not the point) but certainly enjoyable.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 03:03
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me, most of Talk is very similar to what Yes did with the other 2 Trevor albums. But "Endless Dream" alone is enough to mark this album as my favourite from this line-up, and the most proggy.

All the Rabin era albums sound different to me. The appeal of Talk is a much Alan White as anything, Unleash the beast! Endless Dream especially.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 13:51
^ Hear, hear! :)

Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

What I find though, on this site, is that this tends to show the real divide between some of the fans of Steve Howe and those of the band as a whole. Trevor Rabin is, IMHO, mostly underrated.

Strongly agreed.  I love Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin.  They're totally different guitarists, but both are wonderful in different ways.

I think "The Big Generator" or " Talk" is Yes's most under rated albums.  And, I feel ABWH is a masterpiece.  Besides the "too many cooks  in the kitchen disaster of  the Union album",  I have to say,  I love  80's thru early 90's Yes.   Trevor Rabin's Yes and ABWH are so much better than ASIA. 
Yet, I have difficult time with every Yes album after Magnification. 

I understand Yes fans going for the #1 band of all time,  and expecting  the sister of "Fragile", Close to the Edge, or Relayer.   But if prog music is a progression, then I would have to say that Yes progressed thru the 80's,  and the Yes regression started somewhere in the late 90's.  Since the late 90's I've been listening to an excruciating slow motion train wreck, with hope inspiring sweet notes such as '\Magnification interspersed in between the album wreckage. 

As an epicurean,  if the music makes me happy I like it,  whether it's close to edge or not.  I try not to spoil my listening experience with comparisons to The Yes Album...  How do I listen?  I pretend it's a new band and I listen.  And,  that's why I love the Trevor Rabin Yes.   If the Rabin era "Yes" had stuck with the name "Cinema" they wouldn't have sold as many albums, but "Cimema" wouldn't have incurred the wrath of so many Yes fans in the long distance run around. Wink  Squire and Anderson used Trevor to chart new territory.  And yet, I feel Steve Howe may be the best guitarist of all time.   It's not Trevor Rabin's fault that he replaced Steve Howe for a dozen years of Yes songs!Smile 

Thumbs Down   Definitely not, Steve Howe played it weirdly safe in Asia.  I never could figure out how a group full of such talented musicians managed to produce such unbelievably tame music.  Rabin all the way in that comparison.

I agree with that post so much - I don't care if the band changes, just if I like what I hear.  I listen to many genres of music so I also don't mind if they move away from prog.  A lot of my favorite music is definitely prog-related but not proggy at all (i.e. Kate Bush).  Rabin doesn't sound "proggy" but that doesn't make it worse.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:02

^Generally agreed, but I think Talk breaks completely away from that '80s feel and winds up in a more mature (and less hokey) area of classic rock... and agreed, "Endless Dream" is fantastic.  I love those wild bow bow bew BOW bew bow bow bow BOW sounds in it.  So different.

I believe that song is the perfect blending of modern (for the time) music and prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>