FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Bonham is not overrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:06
John Bonham was one of the few rock drummers to actually have a recognizable style -- that is even more difficult to attain than a guitarist becoming so individualized as to be recognizable immediately (Hendrix, Gilmour, Brian May, etc.). The enormous sound he attained from a single bass drum is unequaled in power. One of the greatest ever.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:31
If anything I usually hear him overhyped! LOL I don't think I've personally heard him called overrated and usually gets huge kudos.

He was a good drummer IMO. Tough to compare styles, and as a drummer I prefer more technical/complex playing...but you need the essentials, which Bonham had and then some!
Maybe not a beast, but I think he was a pretty good drummer.

Edited by JJLehto - June 01 2011 at 22:34
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:34
Not a beast?  He was the very definition of beast in every way.

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:34
You can tell Bonham is behind the kit after three seconds of playing.  I can't say that for many drummers.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Well that's personal opinion. I could see that.
Just saying from a technical/virtuoso standpoint one could say he was not too beastly.
It's also difficult to compare, I mean different time periods, different styles of music.
Point was he is a pretty damn good drummer, and I'm not even a huge LZ fan!
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:38
Atavachron: Maybe that's why I never liked Led Zeppelin much. Or it could be that I don't like blues or country much. And just because a style's become a normal style doesn't mean I have to like it. You could make good arguments against Eddie Van Halen or John Coltrane the same way. I still think he's a good drummer, but I never think "Wow, that drumming's awesome!" when I hear him. You're right that Zeppelin had a lot of quiet songs. But John Bonham didn't play on a lot of them, or he played too loud for the surrounding music. Flaws are flaws regardless of what style they're supposed to be. Nobody is perfect. 

I can think of a lot of recognizable drummers besides Bonham - many more so because so much later rock drumming rips off John Bonham. Besides the drummers I named before, I can recognize Charlie Watts and Ringo Starr pretty fast.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:41
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

You can tell Bonham is behind the kit after three seconds of playing.  I can't say that for many drummers.

Indeed.
Suppose its partially the nature of the instrument but not many stand out or are recognizable as themselves.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:43
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Just saying from a technical/virtuoso standpoint one could say he was not too beastly.
It's also difficult to compare, I mean different time periods, different styles of music.

I know you meant 'beast' to mean high technical skills, but to be quite honest I think Bonham technically outdoes and provides far more variation than many drummers considered highly skilled, such as Neil Peart, Keith Moon, and Carl Palmer.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 22:47

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I know you meant 'beast' to mean high technical skills, but to be quite honest I think Bonham technically outdoes and provides far more variation than many drummers considered highly skilled, such as Neil Peart, Keith Moon, and Carl Palmer.

I'm not familiar enough with Palmer to make an accurate comparison but I'll agree with Moon and Peart.
The latter is also good but....well I was never very wowed by him. Never quite saw the immense accolade
*runs from the stones*
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 23:04

Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

Henry, Henry, Henry. So hip you are. Why don't you show us a Youtube video of some bum randomly hitting trash cans and tell us how genius it all is.

I'm sorry you are unable to comprehend avant-garde music. 
Quote Bonham is undoubtably the most influential rock drummer for good reasons. Wether you can relate to the music or not is completely irrelevant. Bonham has either directly or indirectly influenced any rock drummer you can think of. He's done a lot for drumming and rock in general. You should learn some respect and get over yourself for a change.  

I really don't care about rock drummers, but I think you are taking my reply too seriously. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 23:52
He was good. I just don't like his style. But a recognizable one he has, for sure. Though there are less-than-great drummers (from a technical point of view) that also have 100% unique styles (like Lars Ulrich). Maybe it's because I dont really love more than a few Zeppelin songs, I'm not really a Bonham fan but I agree he was among the greats. 
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 00:34
I reckon he was a great rock drummer, I was lucky enough to see Zep at Knebworth Festival in 1979, i'm glad I went, he is not my fave drummer though but his influence was immense.
Tony C.

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 00:42
I personally don't give much a damn about Led Zeppelin. I like several of their songs, and don't discount them (blah blah, technically competent, yammer blammer highly influential, google boogle here's a penis in your alphabet soup). I don't rightly give a wart-c**t about his style. It doesn't emotionally affect me in a positive or negative direction. I suppose I 'like' it, but I don't pay attention to it outside of the respective music it is built within. Oh! f**k Moby Dick. Only drum solo I ever once cared about was the one in Comus' Diana, and that was just two pitter pattering congo skins - goes to show how much stock I put in 'drummer style'. 
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 01:43

tarkus1980's criticisms are fair, but the problem with his position is the same problem with saying Eddie Van Halen's influence "did unthinkable damage to three generations of guitarists" or that John Coltrane "ruined the saxophone"--  it doesn't really matter whether it's true or not; the impact is undeniable, here to stay, and has been integrated into modern playing as all important techniques are. 

Simply put, it's a didactic position to take.  The fact that Levee was the 'exact opposite' of what tarkus1980 wants - as if what he wanted was important - is the whole point of that drumbeat.   As for notesworth's "way too loud" comment, yeah I've heard that before, so has John Paul Jones who would point out that there is as much little stuff going on as 'loud' in many Zep songs. 

Both of you are over-intellectualizing his playing and seeing flaws where there was intentional tribute to the American blues and country-blues Bonham grew up hearing, instead of appreciating what he contributed to rock drumming in the same way Stewart Copeland brought a subtle jazz approach into the picture or Mitch Mitchell with his frantic style.  Skilled drummers are a dime-a-dozen;  t's not about skill, it's about something else. 

Oh and another thing: without Bonham's tree trunk-like foundation, the high registers of Page and Plant would not have worked in the way it did.  He brought a much needed anchor and masterful timekeeping to an otherwise overindulgent band.   Without Bonzo, there is no Led Zeppelin.

Nice
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 07:07
For what it's worth, I love Love LOVE "When the Levee Breaks" and consider that the band's finest moment, and Bonzo's playing is a major part of why that works.  In some cases, Bonzo's wake-the-dead approach to drumming is absolutely what's needed for a song; the problem is that there are a lot of lesser cases where the drums getting reduced would have made things more palatable for me.  Give me Ian Paice (except for the drum solos, meh) or Bill Ward.

"tarkus1980's criticisms are fair, but the problem with his position is the same problem with saying Eddie Van Halen's influence "did unthinkable damage to three generations of guitarists" or that John Coltrane "ruined the saxophone"-- it doesn't really matter whether it's true or not; the impact is undeniable, here to stay, and has been integrated into modern playing as all important techniques are."

"John Bonham may have ruined rock drumming, but at least it's permanent."  Yeah, thanks Bonzo!

"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 07:19
Did someone here claim he was overrated?

There's a lot of Zep fans, and Bonham appreciators around here as far as I know.

He's always been among my most admired drummers, and I would agree he does live up to the praise that's often heeped on him. Not all musicians can claim that in my opinion..

His style and sound is unique and unmistakable, and he plays the best triplets I've ever heard.

Edited by Blacksword - June 02 2011 at 07:19
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 08:03
I would argue that for a drummer, priority #1 is timekeeping (you'd think that would be obvious but even at live pro gigs sometimes I wonder) #2 is groove / feel. #501231 is technical ability - with that caveat that technical ability can enhance your groove. Gene Hoglan's ferocious technique enhances his timekeeping which is so precise it allows total chaos to work over the top, and has developed into its own groove / feel which fits the music he plays. The fusion drummers of the 70's were able to combine those things and even when they were over the top, they grooved.

Bonham always grooved and I applaud Atavachron assessment of "No Bonzo, No Zep" which obviously Robert Plant has believed for 30 years.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 08:56
Well every drummer that has been branded 'The Greatest' ,of which there are hundreds, is overrated.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 09:03
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

He was good. I just don't like his style. But a recognizable one he has, for sure. Though there are less-than-great drummers (from a technical point of view) that also have 100% unique styles (like Lars Ulrich). Maybe it's because I dont really love more than a few Zeppelin songs, I'm not really a Bonham fan but I agree he was among the greats. 

I didn't know being terrible and unable to keep time was a style.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 09:03
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I didn't know being terrible and unable to keep time was a style.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>