Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 07:59

Big smile
Prog966 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 21:10
There are some songs that would be categorized as prog, or at least what they call post-prog or third-wave, as Paranoid Android
But songs like Let Down are what Scaruffi said to be pseudo-avant-garde: its just a pop song with some background noise to hide this fact
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by Prog966 Prog966 wrote:

There are some songs that would be categorized as prog, or at least what they call post-prog or third-wave, as Paranoid Android
But songs like Let Down are what Scaruffi said to be pseudo-avant-garde: its just a pop song with some background noise to hide this fact

Well, the chords also seem to be played in a different time sig to the melody which, as it should, resolves in time.  It is disguised quite beautifully, well enough it seems for some people to take it to be AOR.   Wink

To the person who asked if it could be electronica, it is actually quite guitar based and also uses glockenspiel.  Anyway, the point is not whether AOR is some uniformly bad genre of music - and I don't think it is - but that OK Computer simply has nothing to do with AOR.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 13:33

Just had to dig OK computer out - firstly - longest track just over 6 mins....& I listened to Paranoid Android - not as bad as I thought all those years ago - but then I was expecting grandiose and bombast that a "prog Epic" should deliver. But it's a sort of indy sound with sort of indy guitar -possibly slightly crossing over into Porcupine tree territory... The pop song length of the tracks detracts - lack of real depth to the first two tracks... certainly those two didn't get me wanting to play any more....Listenable as background music but probably behind at least 95% of my CD collection.....

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 14:13
^Fine. Now try Kid A/Amnesiac. Not that I think you'd actually like it, but its more progressive music than at least 95% of your CD collection.....

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2012 at 19:56
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Just had to dig OK computer out - firstly - longest track just over 6 mins....& I listened to Paranoid Android - not as bad as I thought all those years ago - but then I was expecting grandiose and bombast that a "prog Epic" should deliver. But it's a sort of indy sound with sort of indy guitar -possibly slightly crossing over into Porcupine tree territory... The pop song length of the tracks detracts - lack of real depth to the first two tracks... certainly those two didn't get me wanting to play any more....Listenable as background music but probably behind at least 95% of my CD collection.....

Yeah, because Gentle Giant tracks are so long and so bombastic.   
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 06:07
^ Strange - I haven't got any GG in my collection - I will add some one day - but I have other avenues to pursue...
but nearly all of the CD's I have bought in the last 15 years have all been more to my liking than Radiohead...
If your really a fan of RH - i would think that literally thousands of indy CD's may also be your cup of tea...get buying them...TTFN...

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 09:57
Thanks but OK Computer actually has more to do with 60s and 70s rock than indie.
kole View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 12:14
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

All these elements and characteristics of music are what is cliché in progressive rock. And therefore not being progressive at all, as progressive rock should never have any clichés. Apparently all you want is good old 70s prog rock, with 20-minute long epic symphonic outblown songs. A song doesn't have to be more than 5 minutes long to be considered as progressive. It doesn't have to sound "classically" epic to be progressive (even though Jonny Greenwood is a great classical composer as well, working with Penderecki on his last album for example). I could go on and on, but I think we all get the gist. Radiohead are progressive in their own right. It's not within the prog rock genre, but progressive rock should never be a genre, but always an attitude towards music. But to not make this another WHAT IS PROGRESSIVE ROCK thread, I rest my case.

Edited by kole - October 03 2012 at 12:14
Symphonicrockfran View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 18:46
I think that Muse are much more "progressive" and talented than Radiohead...

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.
nescafe726 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 00:25
^ I dont think Radiohead is closer to boring pop rock stuff. Their music is progressive but probably not prog enough in here. 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:19
I've probably quoted this before, but here it is again:

"Sorry Radiohead, you're as Prog as they come" ~ Rick Wakeman.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:34
Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

I think that Muse are much more "progressive" and talented than Radiohead...

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.

Incorrect all round IMHO. The Muse are deadly dull IMHO and derivative. Radiohead are refreshingly different and excellent and prog........IMHO.

Coldplay aren't *that* bad IMHO........we all have different views.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:39
If someone say Radiohead are like Coldplay then that person has not heard Radiohead. Or at least the correct Radiohead.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If someone say Radiohead are like Coldplay then that person has not heard Radiohead. Or at least the correct Radiohead.

and that person doesn't think Coldplay copied Kraftwerk at all ever. LOL
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 05:39
Lets agree to call it prog - Radiohead, Coldplay, REM, Muse, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, the lot.
Lets call it all prog, because it sounds sooooo much better if you call it prog. Dead

What im saying lets spend more time talking about what we like about music, band, artist.
And stop all this about how prog or not prog it is.

If you want to include a new band on PA, :

Otherwise I just dont get how it becomes this important if Radiohead is Prog or not, or how prog on a scale from 1-5 is wilson (yesterdays topic). Its music !  its not important to design a perfect box to fit it into.  
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 05:43
Maybe there should be a cull - let's delete bands from the database who are only tenuously progesque, in a bad light, from a distance, sorta kinda
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 06:56
Radiohead incorporate more experimentation and carefully consider their song-structures and textures of sound moreso than most of their contemporaries. Having said, I dislike (intensely) that 'Creep' song of theirs, listened to O.K. Computer when it came out and thought they were trying hard to rip off Floyd and Porcupine Tree (at least in atmosphere) but still remaining firmly an 'indie' band.................................Fast forward.......................I bought the dbl 10" vinyl edition of Kid A to see what all the fuss was about, and, lo and behold, what a fantastic album it turned out to be.  It is definately a progressive work, although not in the 'traditional' sense.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:38
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Lets agree to call it prog - Radiohead, Coldplay, REM, Muse, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, the lot.
Lets call it all prog, because it sounds sooooo much better if you call it prog. Dead

What im saying lets spend more time talking about what we like about music, band, artist.
Well that's kind of tough when this is a prog discussion site.

I like Muse a lot but there is no way they are as experimental as Radiohead, comparing Radiohead to Coldplay is just bizarre (and I like Coldplay too!)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Well that's kind of tough when this is a prog discussion site.

I like Muse a lot but there is no way they are as experimental as Radiohead, comparing Radiohead to Coldplay is just bizarre (and I like Coldplay too!)

Just because its a prog site, dosent mean, its important to allways focus on putting everything into genre boxing.

I dont like Radiohead much, been trying because some of my friends do, they just dont click with me. 
but im not saying they are not prog, dosent change anything if they are prog or not, i just know i dont like them much.
Im bored after 2nd track. 

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>