Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtop ten overrated prog songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 14:40

Anything popular that one person doesn't like is overrated (to them).

How is anything objectively overrated?          Answer: it isn't.

If all people agreed that a particular song wasn't good enough to live up to its hype, then there couldn't have been any hype in the first place, because nobody liked the tune.

QED. 'Overrated' and 'Underrated' are purely subjective terms.

Ergo, there cannot be a top ten unless they are ranked by how many people find them overrated. In this case, the song with the highest number of people that dislike it would become the most overrated song....... but hang on, if the highest number of people dislike that song, how on earth is it overrated??

Thus, this list is a logical impossibility.

/ Thread.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 17:19
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

If all people agreed that a particular song wasn't good enough to live up to its hype, then there couldn't have been any hype in the first place, because nobody liked the tune.

Ergo, there cannot be a top ten unless they are ranked by how many people find them overrated. In this case, the song with the highest number of people that dislike it would become the most overrated song....... but hang on, if the highest number of people dislike that song, how on earth is it overrated??

/ Thread.

I believe that one can use the term overrated in a resoanably objective manner when providing certain frameworks of anlaysis.  It is possible to argue for something being overrated in an objective manner (commonly held in too high esteem) from a particular perspective when working within a specific evaluatory framework.  For instance, let's imagine that a band releases a song that is widely hailed as brilliantly original, then let's say that it becomes known that the band lifted the music from another composer. One could say that it was overrated from the perspective of it being original.  The assessment was inaccurate, and those people gave it too much praise.  Commonly the word overrated is used in a purely subjective manner, but it doesn't have to be.  Or, to use a work example that hits me close to home: Say a certain someone does all (or almost all) of the work and preperation in preparing for an audit, and it goes really well, if not perfectly.  Now let's say that someone who did nothing gets the credit from the CEO and CFO for it while the one who did all (or almost all) the work gets no credit, but instead is blamed for anything that went wrong.  One person is overrated, while another is underrated (and not just for that particular job, either, but this happens again and again).  And I'm not talking about myself....
Just a fanboy passin' through.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 17:31

/ Thread.

Or you can just participate in the thread instead of overanalyzing it. Ermm

1. Firth of Fifth - Genesis (a great intro, a decent guitar solo, and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't matter)
2. The Sheltering Sky - King Crimson (zzzzzz)
3. Sailor's Tale - King Crimson (see above)
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (one of the most annoying songs ever written)
5. 2112 - Rush (meh)
6. Echoes - Pink Floyd (shoulda been cut down many minutes)
7. Per Un Amico - Premiata Forneria Marconi (listened to the album many times and that's the only song I can never remember anything from at all to this day)
8. The Perfect Element - Pain of Salvation (what a dull and underwhelming end to an otherwise superb album)
9. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield (after a decent Part One, Part Two falls flat on it's face)
10. Providence - Godspeed You! Black Emperor (love GY!BE, but this is one of the most boring songs ever written by any band)  
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 18:38
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

genesis-musical box
jethro tull-my god
pink floyd-any colour you like
camel-lady fantasy
gentle giant-a cry for everyone
magma-mdk
yes-awaken
van der graaf-lighthouse keepers
king crimson-easy money
king crimson-fracture
I agree with all of these except Plague of Lighthouse Keepers and The Musical Box. I hate Awaken, never got into Magma, and Cry For Everyone is average (for Gentle Giant)

Musical box is a nothing song for me. It's like silence then noise. Sounds very amateur. I love the start and end of Lighthouse, but the middle 10 minutes are just ok melodies. It's a bit like the song 2112. Cool start but bland for a while Cool

Edited by dr prog - June 30 2011 at 18:42
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 09:56
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

/ Thread.

Or you can just participate in the thread instead of overanalyzing it. Ermm

Doesn't anybody here have a sense of humour?

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:19
I think overrated is usually the most popular song(s) of a popular band.  Since not everyone drills down to the back catalogue or to other less popular artists, these songs get disproportionate attention.  And the problem starts when people take these few songs to represent the best of the band or the genre they are playing in.  Anyway:

1. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb/ABITW...maybe not technically prog songs but anyway the most popular and overrated songs of this band.  A lot of people have heard only these two songs of Pink Floyd and tend to pronounce them as the best Floyd songs. Confused

2. Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak.  Okay, what's so special about this song? I am not a huge fan of PT, admittedly, but off the same album, I think Trains is a much better song. This is so generic and so typical of alt.

3. Rush - 2112. Not their best and pretty patchy, but hey, it's their longest track, you know.

4. King Crimson - Epitaph:  I would not underestimate the influence of the track or the album being that it was released in 1969. But standalone, as a composition, it is not all that amazing but for some reason, it's frequently called one of the best KC songs. 

5. ELP - Karn Evil 9:  Great performance by the musicians, as always, and very interesting in many parts but I am afraid its reputation precedes it.

6. Genesis - Watcher of the skies: It IS a great song but also not quite the equal of Supper's Ready, Musical Box, Salmacis, Dancing, Firth or Cinema Show.  Ultimately, it's a bit too repetitive even if the main refrain is very infectious.

7.  Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick:  Great track and album, one of the prog essentials for sure but I feel too much weightage is accorded to the fact that it's 40-odd minutes in toto.  That is a commendable achievement indeed but it loses steam halfway through before picking up and there's too much reinforcement overall and these aspects are glossed over. 

8.   Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (1-6):  Oh, how could I forget this one!  More than half the song is a pedestrian buildup moving at a snail's pace leading to weak Waters vocal delivery (which Gilmour improved upon in PULSE) and a saxophone section which, while good, is nowhere near as amazing as it's frequently made out to be.  This is actually one of the very typical examples of overrating as per what I said in the first para and should really be at no.1 or 2.  I do respect Barrett's contribution to the band but don't find it reason enough to endure such an overkill of sappiness. 

9. Dream Theater - Change of Seasons:  Has impressive ideas and, as usual, very impressive playing but overall lacks cohesion and direction.   Sometimes, it sounds almost if as they are trying to accommodate both Petrucci and Derek's strengths somehow (I fail to see what that fusion-like keyboard section really achieves, for instance).

10. Camel - Lady Fantasy: Another great song but feels a tad pale up against the best prog long pieces and epics, a pedestal on which it is frequently put.  Its influences are also a bit too easy to pick up and the overall feeling is of an excellent composition in a somewhat generic style.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

2. Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak.  Okay, what's so special about this song? I am not a huge fan of PT, admittedly, but off the same album, I think Trains is a much better song. This is so generic and so typical of alt.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that makes that song really stand out, atleast to me, is the drumming.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:37
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only thing that makes that song really stand out, atleast to me, is the drumming.

I do like the drumming very much, as with most of the stuff Harrison does.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:38

I do like the drumming very much, as with most of the stuff Harrison does.

Likewise.
That is why the song gets alot of plays by me. Wink
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:40

Confused That's one of my favorite tracks off that album for me. I love In Absentia. Just shows how a song can be overrated to one and loved by another! Big smile
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by MoodyRush MoodyRush wrote:

Confused That's one of my favorite tracks off that album for me. I love In Absentia. Just shows how a song can be overrated to one and loved by another! Big smile

I love Absentia too.
I wouldnt really even call the song overrated, i always thought it got alot of hate.

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 22:36

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Here's a list of songs/pieces that I believe are very highly regarded by many prog fans but leave me completely cold
(I guess it's my loss c/f nacrissistic w***kery)

1 - Close to the Edge Yes - the string of pearls that dreamed of being a diamond tiara
2 - Thick As a Brick Tull - the parody that came to represent what is being parodied
3 - Arrow VDGG - the tortured artist bites the hand that feeds him
4 - Moonchild  Crimson - stoned hippy amateurish noodling
5 - Echoes Floyd - stoned hippy professional noodling
6 - Lizard Crimson - how to stretch going from straight to swung time in 20 minutes
7 - In My Time of Dying Zep - gives 'interminable dirges' a bad name
8 - Interstellar Overdrive Floyd - good loving home required for affectionate little orphan riff
9 - Formentera Lady Crimson - stoned hippy semi pro noodling
10 - Elektrolurch Mutation Guru Guru - smug hippy garbage

If anyone feels sufficiently narcissistic today, head over to the Rogues Gallery thread and indulge yourselves.

Get the hand lotion ready fellas....
Nobody likes Moonchild
Actaully my fave off the album, so there!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 00:16

Nah.  If 80% of people think a song is fantastic then it can be said to be very popular.  If the other 20% think it is rubbish and all vote accordingly then it would probably get most votes in an over-rated poll.

This sort of thing is often seen in opinion polls.  For instance in England in the 1980s Margaret Thatcher would win the poll for Most Popular and Least Popular person in the country at the same time.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 02:05
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

That album hasn't even been officially released in the US yet. How can it possibly qualify for this list? Nobody's heralding it as a masterpiece.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 08:59

Nobody likes Moonchild

LOL

It's like Odysseus and the cyclops. 

There are more Nobody's on this site that you might think Wink

silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 10:30
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Nobody likes Moonchild

LOL

LOL  
Pietro Otello Romano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 11:38
Overall I consider Rush and Supertramp quiete overrated.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 14:02
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Nobody likes Moonchild

LOL

I love Moonchild. It's my least favourite off of the album, but I think it's great.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 15:16
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

Fly From Here

This, plus Drama.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 15:55
with painful honesty, i must say i don't think any of the songs on King Crimson's Red album are all that special at all
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>