FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstar trek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: star trek
    Posted: July 07 2011 at 13:37
we got any proggie trekkies if so what is your favorite star trek series?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 13:39
It is now closed but you might find this poll of interest.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62143&KW=star+trek&PID=3419415#3419415
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 13:42
Originally posted by kingcrimsonfan kingcrimsonfan wrote:

we got any proggie trekkies if so what is your favorite star trek series?

Yep love it. Well, the original series anyway. Cool Fave episodes was the pilot episode with the different captain (which was in two parts) and the time machine episode.
Tony C.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 14:20
Yes sir.

I'm a fan of The Next Generation and TOS mostly. Voyager had it's moments, but plenty of terrible episodes as well. DS9 never did it for me, though I haven't seen alot of the episodes. Enterprise was fairly terrible all around.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 14:25
I grew up with the original series, so that will always have a special place. Next generation had a terrible first season, and then improved to become an utter classic. DS9 was very dark, but contained some very intelligent sci-fi. Voyager was mostly awful, even allowing for Jeri Ryan's knockers, and Enterprise was just shockingly awful.

I liked the latest film a great deal BTW. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 14:29
I watched Star Trek: The Original Movie on Wednesday night, and I am pretty certain that it was the first time that I have seen it.  I don't know how I had never seen it before.  It wasn't very good.  I actually really liked Enterprise, but it was the first Star Trek series where I watched every episode from the first to last in order while it was being shown.

I have seen many episodes of The Original Series and The Next Generation and prefer The Next Generation.  I bought the entire TNG series on DVD and I am currently working my way through the episodes in order.  Currently I am in the beginning of the 4th season.  So far I have seen most of these episodes in rerun form over time, but there have been a couple that I don't remember at all.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 14:44
I enjoy the original series, and really look forward to checking out DS9 on DVD. 

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 14:45
I'm an original series man, myself.
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 15:19
TNG was the first Trek series I ever watched, and it remains my favorite for a number of reasons: wonderful acting, wonderful characters, intelligent and interesting plots, good visual effects, complex themes and ideas, generally consistent writing (Seasons 1 was rather awful, and Seasons 2 and 7 had some lousy episodes, but the rest of the show was phenomenal).  Then I moved on to the original series and loved it (even if it does get cheesy from time to time, it's still wonderful television).  I never really got into DS9 or Enterprise, although I saw a few episodes of the latter and was mildly impressed.  Still far from the quality of TNG or TOS, though.
On the subject of Voyager: the series may have had inconsistent writing and many unbelievably bad episodes (I'm looking at you, "Threshold" Head on wall), but it had its moments ("Year of Hell," "Scorpion," and "Someone to Watch Over Me" are some of my favorite episodes of ANY Trek series). 
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 15:20
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I watched Star Trek: The Original Movie on Wednesday night, and I am pretty certain that it was the first time that I have seen it.  I don't know how I had never seen it before.  It wasn't very good.  I actually really liked Enterprise, but it was the first Star Trek series where I watched every episode from the first to last in order while it was being shown.

I have seen many episodes of The Original Series and The Next Generation and prefer The Next Generation.  I bought the entire TNG series on DVD and I am currently working my way through the episodes in order.  Currently I am in the beginning of the 4th season.  So far I have seen most of these episodes in rerun form over time, but there have been a couple that I don't remember at all.

Not surprised to see that we differ so much as we also have dissimilar tastes in music.  I much prefer the orignal series -- I prefer the stories (fave episodes are the pilot and Assignment Earth with Gary 7).  That movie is my favourite Star Trek film, and I believe it's very good (at least it's very good for me).  I saw it in the movie theatre as a kid and liked it then, and I still like it.  I used to belong to SF forums and argue with people about the merits of the film while recognising that if one likes is really a  matter of taste.  Some find it too slow, but I love films such as Stalker, Solaris and 2001 that some call too slow.  I find it evoked a sense of wonder in me.  I prefer it to the generally better regarded Wrath of Khan, but then that's more of an action movie, whereas I see Star Trek: The Motion Picture as more of a romantic film, and I don't just mean the Ilai/ Decker story arc which I did like, but meaning, to paraphrase a bit the OED, "imaginative, visionary, suggestive of an idealised, sentimental, or fantastic view of reality; preferring picturesqueness to finish; concerned more with feeling than form".  Movies such as Star Wars have not stood the test of time for me well, and I seem to remember you liking those.

Anyway shows such as the orignal Star trek, The Twilight Zone, The Prisoner (personal fave), Doctor Who, Land of the Lost, Outer Limits, and the Tomorrow People were very important to me as a young child and will always have nostalgia value.  I like TNG when it came out, but now it bores me.

Incidentally, I do think it a shame that the Asignment Earth series never happened.  Gary 7 rocks.

Edited by Logan - July 07 2011 at 15:36
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 15:45
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not surprised to see that we differ so much as we also have dissimilar tastes in music.  I much prefer the orignal series -- I prefer the stories (fave episodes are the pilot and Assignment Earth with Gary 7).  That movie is my favourite Star Trek film, and I believe it's very good (at least it's very good for me).  I saw it in the movie theatre as a kid and liked it then, and I still like it.  I used to belong to SF forums and argue with people about the merits of the film while recognising that if one likes is really a  matter of taste.  Some find it too slow, but I love films such as Stalker, Solaris and 2001 that some call too slow.  I find it evoked a sense of wonder in me.  I prefer it to the generally better regarded Wrath of Khan, but then that's more of an action movie, wehereas I see Star Trek: The Motion Picture as more of a romantic film, and I don't just mean the Ilai/ Decker story arc which I did like, but meaning, to paraphrase a bit the OED, "imaginative, visionary, suggestive of an idealised, sentimental, or fantastic view of reality; preferring picturesqueness to finish; concerned more with feeling than form".  Movies such as Star Wars have not stood the test of time for me well, and I seem to remember you liking those.

Anyway shows such as the orignal Star trek, Doctor Who, Land of the Lost, and the Tomorrow People were very important to me as a young child and will always have nostalgia value.  I like TNG when it came out, but now it bores me.

Incidentally, I do think it a shame that the Asignment Earth series never happened.  Gary 7 rocks.

Ah, what could have been:

I am not surprised our tastes differ here either.  Probably the lack of action was what cost it for me.  I fell asleep during it twice, and had to rewind back to watch what I missed. LOL  I probably lost something there.  I've not watched The Original Series in many, many years, but I just remember not really liking it very much.  I don't know if it was the characters that I didn't like, or the dated feel of it all.  Not a fault of the show as much as a fault of when I watched it I guess, but the whole set in the future but with a 60's psychedelic feel thing never really worked for me.

I'm not familiar with Gary 7, of The Tomorrow People, and have never watched Doctor Who or Land of the Lost.  I think that I would have really liked Doctor Who, but it wasn't a US show and I had never even heard of it until I got BBC America on my cable network.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 16:10
 I am a big fan of the original series, and grew up with it-it made an incredible impression upon me initially as a young child, and for that matter, still makes an incredible impression
       I consider the original Star Trek to be the greatest tv series ever.
        The only other tv series that approach it's quality are The High Chaparral, the original Hawaii 5-0, and One Step Beyond (all very different from Star Trek, but that's besides the point)
        My fave episodes are Patterns Of Force, Bread and Circuses, City On The Edge Of Forever, Space Seed, The Way To Eden, and All Our Yesterdays
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 16:16
Love the Trek!! I started on TNG when I was little and they were still making episodes.  I can remember the hype surrounding the series finale.  They had an event at the Skydome for it.  I think I've got that on tape somewhere.  

I'd also watch the original series, but it wasn't as interesting as TNG when I was younger.  Now I have a hard time choosing a favorite.  I also watched DS9, but never have seen much Voyager or Enterprise.
A fun place to review and discuss metal: MetalMusicArchives
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 16:29

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not surprised to see that we differ so much as we also have dissimilar tastes in music.  I much prefer the orignal series -- I prefer the stories (fave episodes are the pilot and Assignment Earth with Gary 7).  That movie is my favourite Star Trek film, and I believe it's very good (at least it's very good for me).  I saw it in the movie theatre as a kid and liked it then, and I still like it.  I used to belong to SF forums and argue with people about the merits of the film while recognising that if one likes is really a  matter of taste.  Some find it too slow, but I love films such as Stalker, Solaris and 2001 that some call too slow.  I find it evoked a sense of wonder in me.  I prefer it to the generally better regarded Wrath of Khan, but then that's more of an action movie, wehereas I see Star Trek: The Motion Picture as more of a romantic film, and I don't just mean the Ilai/ Decker story arc which I did like, but meaning, to paraphrase a bit the OED, "imaginative, visionary, suggestive of an idealised, sentimental, or fantastic view of reality; preferring picturesqueness to finish; concerned more with feeling than form".  Movies such as Star Wars have not stood the test of time for me well, and I seem to remember you liking those.

Anyway shows such as the orignal Star trek, Doctor Who, Land of the Lost, and the Tomorrow People were very important to me as a young child and will always have nostalgia value.  I like TNG when it came out, but now it bores me.

Ah, what could have been:

I am not surprised our tastes differ here either.  Probably the lack of action was what cost it for me.  I fell asleep during it twice, and had to rewind back to watch what I missed. LOL  I probably lost something there.  I've not watched The Original Series in many, many years, but I just remember not really liking it very much.  I don't know if it was the characters that I didn't like, or the dated feel of it all.  Not a fault of the show as much as a fault of when I watched it I guess, but the whole set in the future but with a 60's psychedelic feel thing never really worked for me.

I'm not familiar with Gary 7, of The Tomorrow People, and have never watched Doctor Who or Land of the Lost.  I think that I would have really liked Doctor Who, but it wasn't a US show and I had never even heard of it until I got BBC America on my cable network.

Assignment: Earth was an episode of Star Trek (TOS) with the main character being Gary 7.  It's an oddity.  It was a  way of introducing a new show/ characters through Star trek (a sort of spin off), but the series never happened.  That vid is fanmade featuring scenes from the Star Trek episode. Doctor Who is great fun.  I do like the -- early 70's -- Pertwee era best (nostalgia since I started with those, albeit in re-runs when i was a kid), followed by Tom Baker, but I enjoy the new Doctors too. 

Edited by Logan - July 07 2011 at 16:36
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 18:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I grew up with the original series, so that will always have a special place. Next generation had a terrible first season, and then improved to become an utter classic. DS9 was very dark, but contained some very intelligent sci-fi. Voyager was mostly awful, even allowing for Jeri Ryan's knockers, and Enterprise was just shockingly awful.

I liked the latest film a great deal BTW. 

I wouldn't say the first season of TNG was terrible though it most certainly had a lot of cheesy episodes like the planet of the blonde white people and the planet where men's and women's traditional gender roles were reversed.  The first episode was particularly annoying, I pretty much never liked the Q character.  The best thing he ever did was bring on the Borg.  I did finally quit making it a point to catch the new episodes when they came out towards the end.  DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise lost my attention after a while, too.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 07 2011 at 18:09
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 18:25
Next Generation is my favorite.
Though the crew of the original is timeless. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 20:00
original series of course, though I must say it was fairly awful at least a quarter of the time and was not as consistent as Twilight Zone or even the first season of Lost in Space, but the good ones were great television and sci-fi has never been quite as intelligent on TV since.  I do think Roddenberry was his own worst enemy and tended to push for content that was so cerebral it lost the action and fun - like 'The Omega Glory' and his other yawn-inducing scripts - which is very important in something like Trek (this is probably why he was cut out of Wrath of Khan).

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 20:11
The original series followed closely by TNG and I like all the movies.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 20:13
"Steppin into Eden, yeah, brother!"LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 20:29
I am not Herbert.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>