Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on the double album
    Posted: June 21 2017 at 16:19
Originally posted by Meta Meta wrote:

In my opinion, most double albums would be better off as singles. Too often bands resort to filler to extend the length.

You are accusing many bands of not having the talent or ability to do music ... so, if I may ask, why are you buying it?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 11:04

Double albums are like +600-page novels, they are hard to please. I prefer novellas and short story collections since if the story is painful, ordeal will be short.  

"But Yes, double albums can be a chore at times!....."

Such as Tales of Topographic Boredom

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 10:49
Certain bands like TFK are quite an extreme band and bash their music out every year.  But seem now to have  got quiet.  Flower Kings were too much to handle for me, good music much of the same.  IQ's Subterranea's album is pure brilliance.  Every track quite unique and different, but keeping that Subterranean feel to that album..

But Yes, double albums can be a chore at times!.....

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 10:36
Double albums are fine, in the traditional sense like Tommy, Quad, The Wall, Out Of the Blue, Physical Graffiti.......I can easily sit and listen to 4 sides of vinyl.
But if they are double just because an artist had filler or did not know when to stop, nahh.

And a Dbl CD makes no sense at all......
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 10:14
In olden days, double albums made record companies and artists more money. That's all.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 08:55
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

These days new vinyl releases are relatively rare, so I'll comment on CD releases.  Although I love progressive music, I usually don't have the patience for more than 40 minutes of music by ANY band.  But I'm offended that record companies put out double CD sets totaling less than 90 minutes, and expect consumers to pay extra.  Am I the only one?

Outside your first comment on the rarity of vinyl releasesConfusedClownParty, I tend to agree that albums can be too long, especially in the 90's, where a lot of filler stuff was used to cram up the CDs time-potential. I'm kind of glad to see bands now coming back with album between 45 and 55 minutes, instead of the >70 mins+ some 20 years ago. One of the worst 90's offenders was TFKThumbs Down

While there are a few real classic 60/70's double vinyl (Electric Ladyland, Quadrophenia and a few others) that I can still listen to in their entirety in one shot, I've always had a difficult time sitting through the whole of The Lamb and The Wall  (and even one side of TFTO). Other classic like Yellow Brick Road, Phys Graf, White Album, Wheels Of Fire, Tommy, I've played the sides a totally uneven amount of time (for ex, GYBR, I've played to death side 1, but very few times side3 or 4)

As for your final comment; I think pre-recorded CD can only publish 80 mins of music (not 90, those were cassettesTongue), but the cost of a second disc is really not a major reasons for a price hike, IMHO. It could be an actual anti-saturation strategy to propose two 40-mins discs - meaning that you choose to go further in listening the second half.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 08:04
I thought we were talking about progressive rock, not classical?
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 07:53
These days new vinyl releases are relatively rare, so I'll comment on CD releases.  Although I love progressive music, I usually don't have the patience for more than 40 minutes of music by ANY band.  But I'm offended that record companies put out double CD sets totaling less than 90 minutes, and expect consumers to pay extra.  Am I the only one?

I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 16:47
I think going "Right, I need a double album ! Let's write 1h and a half of music !" is doing it a bit wrong (*cough*Ayreon*cough*cough*) except when you're Yes and you can write TfTO. But it is sometimes welcome (Happiness is the Road) and even needed (Grace for Drowning, The Wall ...)

Overall I'm more inclined to give them a negative review - it's a risk to be taken, but I don't dislike double albums as a sub-category.
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 10:49
Far too few good ones
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
mtdar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 12:35
I'm going to have to agree with Meta on this one.  I like the idea of a double album, but I think most bands just don't have that much good material for a double.  The only double albums I can think of that I like are:
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
IQ - Subterranea
Meta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 02:45
In my opinion, most double albums would be better off as singles. Too often bands resort to filler to extend the length.
Codera the Great View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:31
For me it all depends on the music. If it was Metallica and Lou Reed's laughable and heinous attempt at avant-garde rock with their little crapsterpiece, Lulu, then no Thumbs Down. If it was an album such as The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis, then more of that please Thumbs Up!!
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Just had to add this ... I guess that we're going to take all the symphonies, operas and such and we're going to condense and compress them, so they will all last 5 minutes. They can never again be over the equivalent of 20 minutes per side, or 40 minutes long anymore. So Wagner ... you stink! ... and need to unload more than half that crud! Verdi ... your stories are pathetic. And Puccini .... your arias are too long, and that over singing is not necessary!

I am not sure I like the fact that we're limiting things ... th elimits started because of the LP had severe limits ... but today, none of that is an issue anymore!

It's just bizarre seeing this even discussed ... why can't someone write something that is longer, than many things you have heard, unless you have never heard anything other than ... "songs" ... which to you do not add up to anything at all!

It's a bizarre concept born out of the relative lack of knowledge of music out there ... TFTO is not a double disk ... it's just like a Symphony in 4 movements ... but since most have never heard a Symphony, they have no idea what that statement means ... you might as well call it trash because it is 4 sides (originally) ... instead of an hour and a half long ... gosh ... I don't see anyone complaining about X-Men or Avengers being too long!

Both excellent movies by the way.Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 10:44
Hi,

Just had to add this ... I guess that we're going to take all the symphonies, operas and such and we're going to condense and compress them, so they will all last 5 minutes. They can never again be over the equivalent of 20 minutes per side, or 40 minutes long anymore. So Wagner ... you stink! ... and need to unload more than half that crud! Verdi ... your stories are pathetic. And Puccini .... your arias are too long, and that over singing is not necessary!

I am not sure I like the fact that we're limiting things ... th elimits started because of the LP had severe limits ... but today, none of that is an issue anymore!

It's just bizarre seeing this even discussed ... why can't someone write something that is longer, than many things you have heard, unless you have never heard anything other than ... "songs" ... which to you do not add up to anything at all!

It's a bizarre concept born out of the relative lack of knowledge of music out there ... TFTO is not a double disk ... it's just like a Symphony in 4 movements ... but since most have never heard a Symphony, they have no idea what that statement means ... you might as well call it trash because it is 4 sides (originally) ... instead of an hour and a half long ... gosh ... I don't see anyone complaining about X-Men or Avengers being too long!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 07:07
Double or triple album in any format is fine by me! ...the biggest issue I find is people interrupting me when I'm in the 'listening zone' ...and that goes for a single album, too!
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 00:38
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

the first three Chicago albums where Double albums,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/CTA_album.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/ChicagoAlbum.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/ChicagoIII.jpg

And they were kickass albums as well
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
The Dude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 22:03
I love doubles! They were always amongst my favorites when I was buying vinyl way back when ... Uncle Meat being a prime example. Of course it was rare for me to listen all in one go. In CD format I'm more likely to listen to the whole thing through. So it has to be really good! Recently I've been getting into Toyah's Warrior Rock live album. I have no trouble listening all the way through that.

Edited by The Dude - June 16 2012 at 22:06
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 12:47
Generally, I don't have a problem with double album, full length CD album, or even double full length CD albums.  If a bands style does not appeal to me, then I'm not going to want to listen to ANY length album they care to release.  Sure, on long albums I often find a song or two that I find "weaker" than the rest, but that is just my opinion and doesn't reflect on the quality of it for anyone else.

Since the Flower Kings get mentioned here a good bit, I should probably point out that according to their main composer, Roine Stolt, he usually has another CD worth of material that didn't make the cut for the album.......even the double albums this was true, apparently.  Some might not believe such prolificness is possibly, but there it is (he plans to possibly add some of this material as bonus tracks when the whole catalog is re-released in the near future).  I often find that I love stuff that many people refer to as "filler".  My opinion is, if the artist put it there, then it's there for a reason, even if I don't understand what that could be.  I don't, after all have to listen to it if it doesn't appeal to me (which, of course, applies to any and all music).  I do sympathize with people who find it a struggle to get through a double FK's album.....it can be difficult to focus on the music of one band for 2 hours (or more).  I don't always want to hear the entire Unfold the Future album, for instance, but will play selected tracks or one of the two disks instead.  I don't see this as any sort of problem or drawback of the album and am glad to have all those songs to choose from and listen to as I see fit.

The most interesting "filler" is Lucky Man, which was added to the first ELP album because they didn't have enough material to fill up side 2, so Lake broke out a song he wrote at age 12.  Emerson didn't like it, so didn't participate in the recording of it (his moog solo was "noodling" according to him, and he hadn't intended to have it on the album).  It went on to be their most famous song and biggest hit.  Go figure.  So a song that was truly "filler" (according to the band members, anyway) went on to be their most iconic song.......not to proggers, of course, but that's beside the point.

Edited by infandous - June 15 2012 at 12:50
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 06:56
I think the only big problem with doubles is getting your ears tired while you listen them in one session. Otherwise, the format can be even better than single, especially for telling a story, as mentioned before. I think if a musician wants to make an album over 2 hours long, go ahead. It's his decision to choose which songs he cuts out from the album, if any, and not the listener's.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>