Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on the double album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 09:52
It's true we've seen a very significant increase of album length since the late eighties. I happen to think of that as not necessarily a good thing, most of time the tension-bow of long albums is non-exciting or even non-existing.

For instance. A long track can give you that conclusive feeling that a piece of art is finished, but with many long tracks in a row this effect wears off and the long track doesn't have the impact it could have had.

If modern bands were to decide to get me interested in modern progressive rock, I'd say making shorter albums - 35-43 minutes or so - with only material that is as relevant as can be, would be a good start. Even many older progressive rock albums would have been better if they had been shorter.

Somehow it seems like people decide on how much lemonade they want by looking how big the glass is, in stead of thinking of their own thirst. This is the same with album length.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 10:40
Honestly, I listen to triple albums, double albums and single albums and each one suits me just fine. It really does have to do with the quality in all that time and what the artist does with it. Some can pull out triple albums flawlessly like Joanna Newsom and Frank Zappa and others can make short but sweet little records that are just as good.

But, like pretty much all aspects of music, length is also a taste-oriented thing and changes from listener to listener. Can't really be argued one way or the other.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 11:20
Filler is when the only goal of that song is to add to the album's running time. Not liking a song doesn't make it filler.

And double albums were great, but they are no longer necessary (in fact, albums themselves are no longer necessary as a practical format, only as an art form).

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 11:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Didn't reckon the term 'filler' would meet with such strong objections.Confused

I would be the first to admit that its incredibly presumptuous of us to infer the motives of an artist for including a track we might think as 'poor quality' on an album, but I also think we're getting confused with our own appraisal of the work and that of the artist's (at which we can only guess, hence the speculation)

Based on what has been posted to date, no-one appears to allow for even the remotest possibility that artists can sometimes be lazy, shoddy, have 'bad days at the office' or produce work they know full well is way below the standards they have previously set themselves. I don't believe that.
Yeah, well, I did warn you Tongue I find "filler" as offensive as most people find casual figures of speech like "overrated" and "underrated" Wink

I know what you mean, but I prefer to give the artist the benefit of the doubt - and certainly with albums like The Wall, Tommy, Lamb and TFTO I don't believe that the artists slipped in a poor or weak track on purpose - if they exist then that is par for the course, not every track is going to be a gem - if a track is sub-standard then I find it hard to accept that the artist thought: "Oh, that'll do" and just stuck it on the album anyway, however that still would not class the track as filler. I know this is arguing semantics, but hey, this is prog - poor tracks are not necessarily filler and filler tracks are not necessarily poor - similarily seques and interludes between tracks (such that Tool often use) are not filler.

If there is a poor track on an album then that's fine - I'll be one of the first to point it out, (More Fool Me) - but I would not regard it as a filler track just because it is poor, it's a poor track or a weak track or a track I just don't like, but filler it is not.

What?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 12:09
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I have never understood all this talk about "filler", especially when it comes from people that I deem serious and worthy of respect. Transposing and applying this filler talk on the arts, it would be like when I visit a painter's retrospective, I should skip the walls with watercolours and drawings because they're "filler" and the exhibition would have been better with only the major paintings. Also, the smaller paintings and most of the paintings making up series would also be filler. Ermm

My definition of filler is something like Jean Louis uses - a 30 second untitled track of honking noises and percussion, or whatever - that serves as a transition.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 12:15
^ If it serves as transition that why is it filler? See Dean's posts above.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 12:21
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ If it serves as transition that why is it filler? See Dean's posts above.

I don't know, I just call it that.  Bad habit Embarrassed
sturoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 22:17
Double Lps especially Live ones were always attractive to me because:

1. A large amount of music from a particularly favorite group.

2  A story is usually being told aka: concept.

3. Live recording of a whole concert- close your eyes and your there -with enough volume of course!

Many fine examples have mentioned in the prev posts. But I have to throw in a wrench when it comes to filler or trimming time or even the notion of Dbl Lps
  The one driving force behind Bands with recording contracts: The Record Comp itself and the Producer. How many times has the idea of concept or double lp been brought forth by a band only to be shot down by those two entities ?

How many Bands released Double lps only to fulfill contractual means to an end ( of the contract) ?

That a group goes forth booking time in the studio at Rec Company expense with what they thought was enough material for the 2 Lp release only to find out the label opinion differs about certain tracks. The band now needs to write in studio perhaps for new material-Ugh!
The producer needs to shorten a song because he doesn't feel said track length works for the song.
 I even seen Producers even re-arrange the sequence of tracks as well.
  Band argues about track selections then Ooops Studio time is up !
 "Ohh man, we haven't finished recording the whole thing"
" Well Let's just throw those short tracks we did on."

Remember in the 60s,70s, a bit of the 80s, bands were not that savvy when dealing with those folks and only the real top of tops Super groups could command their destiny in the Studio.
So one must keep that in mind when discussing the earlier days of recording Double, Concept Lps

BTW My Favs : Ulysses -The Greek Suite, Humble Pie- Rockin the Fillmore, ELP - Works Vol 1,
Clapton- History of Eric Clapton. Tangerine Dream -any of them !, Allmans -Eat a Peach,
Sorry I am blacking out on alot of Prog  but my record collection is not close right now.

Edited by sturoc - July 10 2011 at 22:17
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 10:08
Double albums can be done right (The White Album, Physical Graffiti) but others don't work at all and seem to have the biggest problem double albums do, TOO MUCH FILLER. I can't tell you how many double albums I've listened to and only like a select few tracks (Lamb Lies, and The Wall). I'm not saying they are all bad they can be done but it's difficult. 
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 10:16
I can listen to Moon Safari's Blomljud in one go no problem. As much as I love The White Album, it's just a giant collection of songs, and doesn't really fit as an album. For that reason, I can find it hard to get through without breaks. Most double albums seem a little excessive to me.
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 10:30
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

Double albums can be done right (The White Album, Physical Graffiti) but others don't work at all and seem to have the biggest problem double albums do, TOO MUCH FILLER. I can't tell you how many double albums I've listened to and only like a select few tracks (Lamb Lies, and The Wall). I'm not saying they are all bad they can be done but it's difficult. 

On PA that's now the F word Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 11:54
I would have thought a drummer would have been quite at home with fill(er)s Confused
What?
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 16:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I would have thought a drummer would have been quite at home with fill(er)s Confused

Ba-dum tish?
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 16:59

haha I get that but I just hate when artists make songs just to fill up time
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2011 at 20:03
Being a fan of Dream Theater, I don't have much problems with double albums; the ones I fear are the triple live albums they have put out since the early 2000's. 
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 05:14
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The only double album I sometimes find too long is Cardiac's Sing To God, although every track on it is incredible.

That's probably my absolute favorite album and of course favourite double album. Every time I'm not listening to it I'm all like "this can't be as good as I remembered it to be" and then it's like "omgomgomgomg yes it is!!!!!!" and then I start shrieking like a 12 year old.
There be dragons
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 08:50
Sorry, forgot to check back on a possible answer on this thread.

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I wouldn't want every album to be a double, but I'm more than happy with those few that are - I honestly can't imagine Tales from Topographic Oceans, The Wall, Tommy, Electric Ladyland, The Beatles (White) Album, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Marbles, Incantations, Yeti, Zeit, To Venus And Back, 666, Aerial, Tago Mago, London Calling, Made In Japan, Focus III, Space Ritual, Physical Graffiti, Soundtracks For The Blind, English Settlement or Sheik Yebouti being anything less than double albums. Sure, some of them are an endurance challenge, but rewardingly so.

you mention some almost perfect examples of double albums, but 95% are vinyl-released

But still I'd say that quite a few of those albums would've gained by being more selective and concise, by dropping a few fillers..... because the danger of building a second disc to an album is that you may resort to second-rate material.... I mean there are very few three-sides albums , the only one I can think of right now being Johnny Winter's Second Winter album witha blank D-side
I'm not of that school. If an artist released an album of a set length then that is what he wanted to release, nothing on that album would I consider to be filler. For example Tales From Topographic Oceans is 81:15 - two minutes were trimmed from The Revealing Science of God to make it fit the double vinyl format - that was a limitation imposed by the format, not by Yes themselves - even converting that from vinyl to CD would result in a double CD - trimming that further to make it fit on a single CD would be further still from what Anderson and Howe envisioned for that album so nothing was added to those recording sessions that would constitute "filler". The Wall is 81:09 minutes long - again too long for a single CD - tracks were cut from those recording sessions to make it fit onto a double vinyl, so like Yes, Pink Floyd (Waters) made compromises on their original vision of that album, so again, from their perspective nothing on the album is "filler" so nothing on it is "filler" for me either.

did you know that the first CD version of JHE's Electric Ladyland was edited of some 90 seconds to fit a single CD??Dead >> That's atrocious behaviour...

OK, regarding fillers and second-rate material there is a fine line I see as such:

filler: Genesis's Lamb track that surround the piece where The Gabe slips in and out of his bulbous costume, they created two special pieces that had no other purpose (imho) than to allow a costume change live... I feel very strongly about this for Silent Sorrow, mainly because of its length (if it was 30 seconds-long, I would've not thought the same)

Second rate material: most of side 4... again my reading, but there is nothing strong with the compositions and the inspiration is either forced or spent...

For TFTO, I don't think there are fillers.... just second-rate material Tongue (JKWink)

As for ELP's RU Ready Eddie.... sure it was a (insider's) joke,  But it came in handy to "beef-up" (read unintentional watering-down) the flipside with a completely anecdotic out-of-context track >> filler by excellence, in my book.

Edited by Sean Trane - July 12 2011 at 08:52
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 09:10
It's difficult for me listening to a double although there are exceptions in my world like L'Heptade by Harmonium or Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. The trick to obtaining or mastering the perfect or even suitable double release is to give listeners the realization that if the album were single it would not in fact be the same in any sense. If the listener can look back and feel they wouldn't desire to hear that particular double as a single then the goal of the writer is accomplished. Frank Zappa's Roxy and Elsewhere just wouldn't do condensed and edited into a single disc unless technology would allow that. The idea is to hear the recording in it's entirety.

The art of it all is basically how far a writer or small group of writers can go as they get inspiration to continue beyond 80 minutes. Some Progressive concept releases contain a repeating theme throughout . If the repeated theme is utilizing various instruments to play the melody then it becomes interesting and the double album becomes a worthwhile event. Some double albums drag on endlessly without any color added to the music. If side 2 or disc 2 opens with a song or piece that differs in sound and approach from disc 1.....then it becomes more interesting.....for example on side 3 or disc 2 of the "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"....I am sorry but I forget the name of the song.....but the point is this.....As a listener,....you might not expect to hear a driving melodic song like that after hearing the first half of the disc.

I still wonder just how "In the Wake of Poseidon" by King Crimson would have sounded  if it had been a double and combined with the writing talents on McDonald and Giles. A fellow from P.A. wrote about this analogy and even had a track listing. This is more of a realization due to the fact that McDonald and Giles had written most of the material for their solo debut while touring with K.C. Think about it. A huge percentage of Prog fans I have met over the years complain that the McDonald and Giles is too sugar coated and causes them to cringe in places WHILE many of them seem to feel that "In the Wake of Poseidon" is a repeat of "In the Court of the Crimson King". Everyone on P.A. knows this. Just about everyone here has read post replies where an abundance of people complain about both aspects of the 2 releases. Maybe based on that reality....if the 2 records had become a double album project....prog fans would have considered K.C.'s second release to be just as grand or even more grand than their first. The songs which hail from McDonald and Giles would have possibly been crafted better with just the right amount of sugar that Ian Mcdonald wanted along with Lake and Fripp adding in gymnastic playing and melodic atmospheric ideas of their own. To me....this is the long lost double album of the early prog days.

Edited by TODDLER - July 12 2011 at 09:15
Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 07:32

Hey ExittheLemming...

How about that list? - that'd be fun to see :)

Approve
I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 07:47
This is a good point to raise....I think the CD format oddly makes it less likely to stick with a double whereas if you're going to sit through Topographic or Yessongs on vinyl you may as well get the blankets and coffee on and go for the marathon...

but, that's just it they kind of are by default marathons. To be honest with a few mysetrious exceptions I think you have to be in the 'mood' for anything of such long duration even some of the single disc LPs one side filling tracks can take their toll...but then if you're in the mood they can be so enjoyable to delve into....

The whole double/triple thing can be off putting at times i.e the new Amplifier album, good songs but especially not being very 'instant' sounding it's something I'm clearly sbconsciously delaying listening to in its entirety!

Luckily with say things like Porcupine Tree's The Incident you can almost listen to 'CD2' like a separate EP....

I guess it's a symptom in some respects of prog that you want to endure a track and all its developments but you're so eager to hear more that if the tune itself is slow to develop you end up moving onto to hear more....

Now for jazz-fusion or space rock, even some krautrock it kind of lends itself better...

I think stuff liek Ozrics, Magma, Soft Machine, Live Zappa...just by the nature of the sound works whether in short bursts of drawn out epics....look at Umphrey's Mcgee for example, especially live, brilliant improvised stuff.....then there's Chad Wackerman, Allan Holdsworth etc, also 'epic' metal like Tool or Meshuggah can work well in 'long format'....if talking into those kind of genres I care less about the length....in most cases anyway!

I think in general single disc albums are more attractive, something admirable and thrilling that an album could be near perfect in under or around an hour or less!

Best double album that springs to mind anyway for me though not prog would be Kazumi Watanabe's Mobo - now that is an album where I can't wait for the last track on disc 2 but would be happy to go through any number to reach it! - pure class!

Be interesting to see if my (general) approach to this changes

Clap

I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>