Topic ClosedThoughts on the double album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 18:03
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The only double album I sometimes find too long is Cardiac's Sing To God, although every track on it is incredible.

That's probably my absolute favorite album and of course favourite double album. Every time I'm not listening to it I'm all like "this can't be as good as I remembered it to be" and then it's like "omgomgomgomg yes it is!!!!!!" and then I start shrieking like a 12 year old.

My favorite double album too, pure genious!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 18:38
I am a fan of the double album, they do not bother me, they do not bore me and I have the patience to sit thru 4 sides with no issues. Because I love music......I don't compare the 80 min CD to a dbl LP, good or bad. Both are just ways to listen to music...simple as that.
A dbl LP with gatefold gives me a lot of info and reading material usually, its just part of the dbl lp experience that makes it fun.

And to have to get up every 23min or so to flip my vinyl, geezz, that's the least of my worries plus it keeps me athletically fit Big smile.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 20:24

Damn straight take non planned exercise opportunities whenever and wherever you can get it..  I appreciate the attitude even though I have a lot more fun with the music not having to get up to flip the medium over.  But CD packaging and art has come a long way since the "jewel" case.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 23 2011 at 20:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

kingcrimsonfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 00:09
what I did was i listened to half of the lamb in one month and in the next i finished it it was a heck of an experience.
logwed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 13:55
Originally posted by kingcrimsonfan kingcrimsonfan wrote:

what I did was i listened to half of the lamb in one month and in the next i finished it it was a heck of an experience.

Dead

Personally, I greatly prefer the single album format, compared to double albums, or CD-length albums. I don't quite have the patience to critically listen to more than 50 minutes of music unless I'm in a very rare mood. Beyond that, I can get bored with an album's sound, find it a little sprawling. 

Also, I do my critical listening in my bed (my headphone rig is in my bedroom), so it can be dangerous to go for too long, for fear of getting sleepy.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 14:17
There was a time in my misspent youth that I bought albums for no other reason than they were doubles.  Let me enter the Bee Gees Odessa into evidence, plus it had that fuzzy cover.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 14:20
And not prog, but Johnny Winter put out a double which only had three sides (side four was physically grooveless).  I think it was Second Winter and those three sides which did contain music were good enough.  At least he had the sense to realize there was no point in putting filler on side 4.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
AutumnWanderer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 17:27
I'm liking a one disc original album and bonus disc at the moment. The Yoso concert (tacked onto Elements) was nice to have.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 17:50
White Album? Sure! All things must Pass? Sure! Jesus Christ Superstar, the Wall, Quadrophenia? Sure! But Tommy? Naw! Lamb? Wish it were cut in half. Most of those early Chicago albums? Miles Davis? I wish they were shorter.
PinkFloydrulez View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 21:19
I feel that the 80 minutes on a single disc that CDs allow is one of the problems with modern prog. Before, artists had to get everything down to 40-50 minutes of their best material to release. if they were really ambitious and really wanted to, they may be allowed to do a double album, but there still had to be some degree of restraint to make an effective statement. the restrictions helped make their works better, more concise.  Nowadays it's just too easy, people will fill up those 80/160 minutes just because they can. I mean, yeah, it's good to let the artist explore and all but sometimes I feel like there's no discretion involved whatsoever. i mean come on, look what happened to Star Wars! =[

multi-record live LPs are okay in my book, though. :)
(sup europe '72/yessongs ilu)

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

from their perspective nothing on the album is "filler" so nothing on it is "filler" for me either.

this is also my ideal although I don't always maintain it. this is the artist's vision/expression, this is what they wanted to present to the world and how they wanted it to be presented. but sometimes it feels like they didn't try their hardest to make it the best it could truly be.

Edited by PinkFloydrulez - October 03 2011 at 21:26
http://www.last.fm/user/PinkFloydrulez
http://rateyourmusic.com/~pfr_77
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 07:30
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

a double which only had three sides (side four was physically grooveless).
Usually the best side. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 07:33
I like double albums if they're really good, but they usually aren't.
Guls View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 12:09
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I agree and would guess this has merely been exacerbated by the CD format making the normal running time of new releases close to that of 80 minutes?. There are very few artists (from any era) that can maintain sufficient high quality or variety for 1 hour and 20 minutes of brand new material.

By way of contrast I could name many 40 minute(ish) albums that I consider as near as dammit flawless for their entire duration.

What he said.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 12:23
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

There was a time in my misspent youth that I bought albums for no other reason than they were doubles.  Let me enter the Bee Gees Odessa into evidence, plus it had that fuzzy cover.

Love the album, and the fuzzy cover. Odessa may not be flawless but its certainly more even than White Album and Tommy.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 13:10
I like Steven Wilson's new one, as it's a double album, but each CD is about 40 minutes, and the whole album is only a few minutes over 80 minutes. So it doesn't feel as long as it is.

Moon Safari's Blomljud album is almost 2 hours long, yet only feels like an hour, mainly due to the strong melodies and harmonies throughout.
staunchally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 15:42
"Tom Sawyer" and "Paranoid" were filler (literally).
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2011 at 10:20

Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

White Album? Sure! All things must Pass? Sure! Jesus Christ Superstar, the Wall, Quadrophenia? Sure! But Tommy? Naw! Lamb? Wish it were cut in half. Most of those early Chicago albums? Miles Davis? I wish they were shorter.

Tommy doesn't feel very long at all when I listen to it.

Miles Davis.... if we're talking the mainly-improvised fusion period then those pieces of music need to have some length to convey their changes of mood effectively.

The ones you said "sure" to though, I agree with.

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 08:35
There is no double album I know of where I wouldn't have cut at least something, but then again, I don't know if there is any single LP album where I wouldn't have cut anything.
sideburndude... View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 21:26
I Feel that most Double albums are necessarily long, I don't think that The Lamb or The Wall wall would have as much impact as a single LP.  But yes many times Doubles albums are riddled with Filler Like The Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness or certain sections of The White Album.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 06:49
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Whenever I rip a double album that's more than one CD, I renumber the tracks on the second CD and combine them into one album so I can do an uninterrupted listen if I feel like it.  But so what if you take it all in in one setting or take a break? 
I do excatly the same
Call them track

And bonus tracks i split from the main "record" as a seperat album.

Anyways if i listen to the hole thing at once or not depends partly on my mood, partly on the album itself.
Right now with Grace For Drowning, i tend to listen to the entire album. Its like a full circle that works best if it sticks together, but older albums, that i know better, (like the white album, or the wall), i will often just listen to some tracks, maby about the time of a vinyl album side.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>