FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on the double album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 06:53
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

There is no double album I know of where I wouldn't have cut at least something, but then again, I don't know if there is any single LP album where I wouldn't have cut anything.

Interesting !!
What would you cut from Selling England, Lark's Tounges, not to mention Thick as a B (LOL)
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 13:56
From SEBTP, I'd cut "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "More Fool Me" (cliché choices, I know).I'd also shorten "The Battle of Epping Forest". From Thick as a Brick, I'd cut the whole second track or at least most of it and probably leave the first track as it is. I've just recently been getting into Lark's Tongues, so I can't yet tell you if I would cut anything. Who knows, maybe it's the perfect record.

I can't think of anything I would cut from Close to the Edge though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:23
Originally posted by catfood03 catfood03 wrote:

I agree that a tight 40 minute album is preferable to an uneven 80 minute one, but progressive rock isn't exactly known for its brevity. Big smile

Yeah ... that's why it's called "progressive" ... instead of anything else, and it is remembered so fondly!

Just remember that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:31
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I have never understood all this talk about "filler", especially when it comes from people that I deem serious and worthy of respect. Transposing and applying this filler talk on the arts, it would be like when I visit a painter's retrospective, I should skip the walls with watercolours and drawings because they're "filler" and the exhibition would have been better with only the major paintings. Also, the smaller paintings and most of the paintings making up series would also be filler. Ermm

Thank you

I have the feeling, that simply because folks can not identify, or understand what the moment in music is all about, in the complete piece ... then it becomes "filler", instead of a "transition" piece that it might be.

As for the length, the CD has helped take away the problem with the length of something having to be cut down, with one problem ... most everyone here is stilll top of the pops oriented and they can only listen to small amounts of music at a time ... so 80 minutes is too much for most of us ... Confused !!!!

But, the filler thing is bothersome ... it's like telling Wagner that he is all filler and no music and his operas can be cut down to 75 minutes, and that Carmen is the tops ... because it is also the smallest of them all ... and Puccini and Verdi never had any filler in them ... which are all "transitions" and not a filler ... ohhh and btw ... the pieces of music that have the most filler? ... it's rock'n'roll and ... yeah ... a lot of "prog" ... has the most FILLER of any music I have ever heard, to the point of it being very boring! ... check out all those repeat sections to reset the theme up again in ...

Filler ... wow ... hard to believe that the word is still used!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 03:50
Don't like the term "filler" much either, because it assumes that you know about the artist's intentions. For me, there's music I like and music I don't like. It just so happens that almost every album has something I don't like. Otherwise, they'd all be the best album ever.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 04:16
Filler is definitely a problematic term as it's subjective, often overused and needlessly pejorative. However, I still think it can be a valid description in certain circumstances. If you look at artists like Frank Zappa or the Flower Kings, (to take two examples off the top of my head), artists that have large discographies and seem to release material in a somewhat undiscriminating fashion it's hard not to encounter the occasional dud - a track which is not merely a smaller or humble offering than the album's more bombastic centrepiece(s) but a track which just sounds like they weren't quite giving it 100% and feels like it only made the cut to bulk out the album.

The Jethro Tull remasters, stuffed as they are with unreleased songs, have revealed that Ian Anderson could be quite brutal in sacrificing songs in order to ensure a leaner, more focused album at the end of it.  One gets the feeling that with a band like The Flower Kings, for comparison's sake, very little of the recording session fails to make it onto the final cut.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 05:53
Filler isn´t that something you put a "poly" in front of?

I have quite the number of double albums, and some work - others don´t, just like many others here have pointed out. I think the word filler is a very negative one, and furthermore I think it colors our perception of music in a way, that the next time we´re presented with a long album, the thought of the awful filler returns like a squirrel in the bedroom during your daily adult gymnastics.
Either something works or it doesn´t, but it is much easier to consider these pieces as small breaths of air, instead of something we stuff in cracks.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 19 2011 at 05:53
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:11
My opinion on the double album, as well as on the current trend of bands to stuff a CD as full as they possibly can, is that most bands are incapable of sustaining my interest or writing enough good material for more than about 60 minutes (live albums not included here).  A great example is that I just listened to Destined Solitaire by Beardfish.  Not a double album, but it would have been in the old days.  Found the first 40 minutes quite entertaining, but around the 50 minute mark I was ready for the album to end and by a little past 60 minutes it started to become excruciating.  I began to wonder if the album ever would in fact end or if barring me hitting the stop button, it was going to go on until the sun was a cold dead husk in the sky. 

My point is, most bands should stick to under 60 minutes, period.  Double albums should be exceedingly rare, and single albums should be limited in time.  That's the one thing I miss about LPs.  Bands were limited in what they could put on an album, so they had to pick the best stuff for inclusion on an album.  Now they can throw everything including the kitchen sink on an album.  With todays 80 minutes available for CDs, I don't see the need for double albums at all.  Although, I did order Steve's Grace for Drowning.  But at least he kept each CD around the 40 minute mark.  Often, what I do now is listen to only one CD at a time for double albums, not both in a row, which probably is not what the author intended. 

Bottom line after this long winded post is I wish bands would stick to putting out 40-60 minutes of good music, rather than trying to throw everything at us.  So I generally prefer single albums to doubles.  That includes stuff like The Lamb, The Wall, and so on. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 15:23
I love the chapter-ed effect of a double album. It gives me a little breathing room, and it's great for driving. One half for the way to and the other half for the ride home.

But what's frustrating is when a band fills up space just because they can. Take Tales From Topographic Oceans...a great work from a band at their peak, but try burning it onto a single disc. Just a tad too much. I'd actually be willing to hear a band-edited version if they bothered to do it.

Same goes for newer bands. Mars Volta's Frances the Mute has a really good title track (better than some of the material on the album) but it was cut because they thought 30 minutes of noise was a better choice. Same with Flaming Lips' Embryonic. It was advertised as a genre-exploring double album, but most of it is just boring, poorly produced garbage.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 16:41
^ I think the problem is with your tastes, all those are albums that I find great especially because of their extensive exploratory nature; I'd regret any second cut off from them. 
fuyuakiworld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 17:03
Never really liked double LPs, as I find them too long. Now, if it's a concept or of an entire concert, that's cool, but Works, TFTGO, The Beatles (white album),  all too long, and I would love them if they condenced them onto one LP.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2011 at 17:13
Originally posted by fuyuakiworld fuyuakiworld wrote:

Never really liked double LPs, as I find them too long. Now, if it's a concept or of an entire concert, that's cool, but Works, TFTGO, The Beatles (white album),  all too long, and I would love them if they condenced them onto one LP.
I've heard this before and don't really get it.

How can your enjoyment be determined by how long a disc lasts? - surely your listening time is dictated by other things, like how much spare time you have or how long it is between teatime and bedtime, so assuming say you had two hours to listen to some music then that time will be filled with two hours of music - that could be a triple album or a double and a single or three single albums - they could all be by the same artist or they could be by two or three different artists, or dozens if you are listening to "Now That's What I Call Prog" (12 golden greats of the Prog Era on 3 CDs for just $9.99!! Buy it now!) . If you are implying that you are suffereing some form of listener fatigue while listening to a double album then that fatigue will ensue from listening to two single albums in the same timeframe, won't it?
What?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 02:02
"Now That's What I Call Prog" should be a thread.

Edited by darkshade - December 21 2011 at 02:03
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 03:56
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by fuyuakiworld fuyuakiworld wrote:

I've heard this before and don't really get it.

How can your enjoyment be determined by how long a disc lasts? - surely your listening time is dictated by other things, like how much spare time you have or how long it is between teatime and bedtime, so assuming say you had two hours to listen to some music then that time will be filled with two hours of music - that could be a triple album or a double and a single or three single albums - they could all be by the same artist or they could be by two or three different artists, or dozens if you are listening to "Now That's What I Call Prog" (12 golden greats of the Prog Era on 3 CDs for just $9.99!! Buy it now!) . If you are implying that you are suffereing some form of listener fatigue while listening to a double album then that fatigue will ensue from listening to two single albums in the same timeframe, won't it?

Any CD which lasts longer than 60 minutes can be considered a double album too. I wonder if they are too long for the poster and any poster that doesn't like doubles?
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 05:14
Well, I don't really think it's up to you to respect the artist's vision. If a song seems weak or unnecessary to you, it's filler, even if I love it and the composer considered it crucial to the album. If you don't think the work communicates the intended theme, then it doesn't have that theme, it has the theme you hear, or no theme. If you take a Flower Kings album and compile it on to one half of a c90, then that is that Flower Kings album. (furthermore I don't think the musicians will mind if you hum over the best parts, or listen to their work on speakers which don't fully pick up the bass, or if you listen to it at the wrong speed or in the wrong direction, or listen to two albums at once...)

You have the audience's privilege. Don't waste time revering something's blueprint. You aren't hurting anyone's feelings either by being brutally honest or by meddling.

Magma "Kobaia" is the only double-album that has avoided my editing so far, and perhaps it'll always be that way.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 05:27
If it's too long and/or there are bits you don't like, no one is stopping you from doing your own edit.  Personally I find the albums that typically get singled out just fine.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 21 2011 at 05:46
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 07:05
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ I think the problem is with your tastes, all those are albums that I find great especially because of their extensive exploratory nature; I'd regret any second cut off from them. 

Frances the Mute is one my my favorite albums of the past 10 years. I'm just saying an alternate version would be cool too.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 07:49

dbl post sorry

Edited by tamijo - January 14 2012 at 07:51
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 07:51
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

From SEBTP, I'd cut "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "More Fool Me" (cliché choices, I know).I'd also shorten "The Battle of Epping Forest". From Thick as a Brick, I'd cut the whole second track or at least most of it and probably leave the first track as it is. I've just recently been getting into Lark's Tongues, so I can't yet tell you if I would cut anything. Who knows, maybe it's the perfect record.

I can't think of anything I would cut from Close to the Edge though.
Im glad you are not a producer Dead
All those songs i would miss a lot ! Im totaly in love with "more fool me", and side two of TAAB.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2012 at 08:27

From SEBTP, I'd cut "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "More Fool Me" (cliché choices, I know).I'd also shorten "The Battle of Epping Forest". 

Why stop there?   Just throw those songs under the bus in their entirety.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 14 2012 at 08:27
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>