Topic ClosedThoughts on the double album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:38
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ Why don't we have the 'economically clad reclining nubile' cover for Electric Ladyland?
A couple of reasons - our policy is to use the first cover from the first release and technically, the American red and yellow head cover was released before the UK 19 naked womens cover - The Hendrix family has expressed the view that the nude cover will not be used in later releases since it wasn't the cover Hendrix wanted - ironically, neither are what Hendrix wanted, he wanted this:

Edited by Dean - January 25 2012 at 07:38
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:40
^ Thanks Dean, I had no idea the first cover was the erm... rather boring one and think that Jimi's choice would have trumped both the alternatives
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:52
I guess I can say that I'm glad that Roxy Music didn't release Country Life here first.  It still leaves me scratching my head as to how Santana got away with Abraxas.  I guess the censors were distracted by all the stuff around the nekkid lady. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 17:22
I really appreciate Hendrix. The last stretch of Electric? It's monumental. I've never in my life heard a Dylan cover pack such a staggering punch. The raw, visceral power of I'M STANDING NEXT TO A MOUNTAIN! I CHOP IT DOWN WITH THE EDGE OF MY HAND! simply cannot be beaten. That still doesn't mean I can psychologically tolerate Electric Ladyland for its entire duration. Same reason I can't handle, well, ANY Physical Graffiti. 
Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 07:35
Some interesting double albums are the ones with no reocurring themes and every song changes in some way. That way there's no boredom. But at the same time the artist has to make every song relevant in relation to the other songs. I think this is done successfully by Ayreon on The Human Equation.
Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 21:15
I usually treat double albums as an extended single. But sometimes it just doesn't work (i.e. "Flower Power" by TFK could have worked better without a lot of material.)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 00:43

Usually i don't like double albums, it tends to include weaker tracks just to fill the empty spaces or to extend certain tracks when there is no need. When a double album is persistent in quality then it's a real winner, like The Wall or The White Album and some others, but most of what i've heard tires me, especially The Flower Kings, and i love that band, but sitting throughout any of their double albums is extremely hard.

giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 07:11
Many albums have way too many fillers, and a double album more than doubles that probability.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 07:21
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

Many albums have way too many fillers, and a double album more than doubles that probability.
Noooooooo... this is a prog site, not a classic rock site - prog album are more than a couple of hit singles seperated by sub-par filler.
What?
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 07:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Noooooooo... this is a prog site, not a classic rock site - prog album are more than a couple of hit singles seperated by sub-par filler.

That's preposterous. Just because prog doesn't have hit singles, that doesn't mean the albums are somehow more consistent. Every good record is more than a couple of hit singles separated by sub-par filler, whether it's prog or not.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 08:23
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

That's preposterous. Just because prog doesn't have hit singles, that doesn't mean the albums are somehow more consistent. Every good record is more than a couple of hit singles separated by sub-par filler, whether it's prog or not.
Preposterous? That depends on what you call "filler" and what you call "sub-par", for example I do not consider "Moonchild" to be filler. Actually, I do not buy into the notion that bands (especially Prog bands) deliberately chose to fill-up whatever space remained on 45 minute album once they'd recorded their "strongest" material with material they knew to be sub-par at all, that to me is both preposterous and disingenuous. Would "Time Table" be classed as filler just because it's a track on a well known album that people overlook?
What?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 15:33
Most I feel are too long and could loose some songs.
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 16:07

Sometimes double albums feel long for me, and sometimes I forget the songs being played. I think it just depends on how the songs go about their business/sound. If the songs are enjoyable, then the album is enjoyable in my eyes.  

Preposterous? That depends on what you call "filler" and what you call "sub-par", for example I do not consider "Moonchild" to be filler. Actually, I do not buy into the notion that bands (especially Prog bands) deliberately chose to fill-up whatever space remained on 45 minute album once they'd recorded their "strongest" material with material they knew to be sub-par at all, that to me is both preposterous and disingenuous. Would "Time Table" be classed as filler just because it's a track on a well known album that people overlook?

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:10

Preposterous? That depends on what you call "filler" and what you call "sub-par", for example I do not consider "Moonchild" to be filler. Actually, I do not buy into the notion that bands (especially Prog bands) deliberately chose to fill-up whatever space remained on 45 minute album once they'd recorded their "strongest" material with material they knew to be sub-par at all, that to me is both preposterous and disingenuous. Would "Time Table" be classed as filler just because it's a track on a well known album that people overlook?

Saying that prog albums are more than a couple of hit singles separated by sub-par filler isn't what was preposterous about your statement. What was preposterous was your implication that classic rock album aren't or are less often more than a couple of hit singles separated by sub-par filler.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:16

Saying that prog albums are more than a couple of hit singles separated by sub-par filler isn't what was preposterous about your statement. What was preposterous was your implication that classic rock album aren't or are less often more than a couple of hit singles separated by sub-par filler.
I see we've got off on the wrong foot here - I mentioned Classic Rock albums because they are the ones most often accused of being "a couple of hits spearated by sub-par filler" while I harbour no such misconceptions. I do not believe that any artist would pad out an album with filler or tracks they knew to be sub-par. I merely point out that this is a Prog site and it is even less likely that a Prog artist would do such a thing - and that I believe is true too.

Edited by Dean - June 11 2012 at 17:16
What?
ProgSeeker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:34
There's no shame in skipping tracks.  The good thing about a double is that we can sometimes make a great single by picking the best tracks - with plenty of variation between different listeners as to what makes the cut.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 17:46
Originally posted by ProgSeeker ProgSeeker wrote:

There's no shame in skipping tracks.  The good thing about a double is that we can sometimes make a great single by picking the best tracks - with plenty of variation between different listeners as to what makes the cut.

What he said dagnabit!  Those tracks you may now look so disparagingly on today you might like later.  Skipping may even help that along.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 11 2012 at 17:47
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 02:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

What he said dagnabit!  Those tracks you may now look so disparagingly on today you might like later.  Skipping may even help that along.

That's right, it happened to me with The Wall, i liked about half of it, and later i wanted to give the rest another shot and it all clicked.
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 08:46
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I didn't notice that with listening to double albums, but that kind of sounds like what I did with The Lamb, slightly with Tales from Topographic Oceans. 

It works wonders, I guess. Big smile

Edited by FromAbove - June 12 2012 at 08:46
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 08:54
Apart from "Third" by Soft Machine, and "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by Yes, which double LPs just have four long tracks, one on each of the four sides?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>