Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy isn't Phil Collins in Prog-Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why isn't Phil Collins in Prog-Related
    Posted: August 06 2011 at 22:10
Yes his solo work wasn't exactly Prog but if other members of Prog bands whose solo career wasn't exactly Prog then why can't Phil? Just an observation

MY IDOLS
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 22:13
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

Yes his solo work wasn't exactly Prog but if other members of Prog bands whose solo career wasn't exactly Prog then why can't Phil? Just an observation

Which members are you referring to? 

Also, even if they aren't prog, why would you want to include another artist that isn't prog-related? You said it yourself, his work isn't progressive.
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 22:18
I don't give a crap about prog-related and neither should any member here. 
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 22:28
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Also, even if they aren't prog, why would you want to include another artist that isn't prog-related? You said it yourself, his work isn't progressive.
Well there is David Gilmour and Nick Mason of Pink Floyd. There also is Page and Plant and even Led Zeppelin wasn't really progressive 

MY IDOLS
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 22:32
As I said before.......all of PA for Prog Related
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 23:20
Because Ivan will literally murder the person who adds him to prog related.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 23:22

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Well there is David Gilmour and Nick Mason of Pink Floyd. There also is Page and Plant and even Led Zeppelin wasn't really progressive 

Gilmour and Mason both released somewhat progressive solo works as well as Page and Plant.

Some of Led Zeppelin was progressive but obviously not most of it.

Phil Collins released nothing progressive in any sense.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 23:28
Phil Collins made pop records. Pop records don't belong on PA in any way. If pop records are on the archives, the solution isn't to add more pop records.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BrianFromOkc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 23:31
I've been a fan of ProgArchives for years, but I just registered one minute ago. I had to chime in on this thread, because I've wondered the same thing many times. I'm a huge Phil fan and I own all of his solo albums. I think he poured his heart into every Genesis album -- particularly his last one ("We Can't Dance") and the tour that followed. Just watch his performances on that DVD!

But in Genesis he could devote himself to drums and vocals. On his solo albums, he's spread thinner -- he has to cover all the bases himself. His albums are as far away from prog as a rocker can get. Therefore IMHO he does NOT belong on this site. HOWEVER, when I noticed that Kate Bush and John Wetton have pages here, I had to wonder why Phil is missing. I'd only seen Kate's name once before (a Peter Gabriel duet), and I recognized John's name from Asia, Crimson, UK, etc etc. I must admit I've never heard a note of their solo music; I've only perused their albums and reviews on this site. For all I know, they might be a prog goldmine, but I don't get that impression. So I'm still left wondering why Phil isn't here.

Obviously the PA administrators have to draw the line somewhere. Whenever man tries to put labels (like "Prog") on something that can't be labeled (like music), blurriness and inconsistency are unavoidable. But such labels are useful tools for discussion and have helped me discover many great bands here. Now I'm starting to go off the philosophical deep end, so I'll shut up :)

Another reason NOT to add Phil is because then they'd also have to add Mike & the Mechanics, and M&M are even less prog than Phil!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 00:25
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

I don't give a crap about prog-related and neither should any member here. 
LOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 01:03
There was this attitude amongst the 3 of them Banks, Rutherford, and Collins and it said "C'mon boys, we always wanted to be songwriters...let's give it a shot" So in interviews all 3 of them had expressed having a love for songwriting before and during Genesis, but it wasn't possible because the band was heading in the new Progressive direction of Trespass. There was a scene created for bands like that in London and that was the direction Genesis were going in and so they put off the songwriting desire. From Genesis to revelation is actually corny singer/songwriter pop. Much of it is driven by the sound of the Bee Gees and that is telling.

Phil Collins was lucky to be on the music scene just in time for Prog in the 70's where he would tour with Genesis and during time off  record and perform live with Brand X. Once those bands were being dropped from record labels and the prog scene was fading away....Genesis went for the fame and money. He also indulged in acting and as a child there is a small shot of him in "A Hard Days Night". He just seemed different than the others because he had diverse ideas about entertainment. He wasn't just a prog musician. He had other plans. He became a media figure and he had to deal with prog fans from the past who felt he had betrayed their music. He talks about it all the time. I can't imagine him not feeling terrible on the inside about it. Being so diverse as a drummer and doing studio sessions with underground prog bands in the 70's. He's got a lot on his plate with that.  He said once when people often make fun of the way he looks that he finds it frustrating he cannot get back at them. Maybe he feels in some way that he did make a mistake. All these years later when he thinks back about it. He seems to carry a lot of frustrations with him.....which I've noticed in many interviews where he is expressing his feelings and hoping to reach out to fans. I think he is hurt by his track record and I wouldn't want to be in that position.  
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 01:08
Phil Collins solo stuff?
Because it's not prog.

Just a guess.
The "not exactly prog" is generous as well LOL

You may be right about members being on because they were in some prog group and their actual work isn't...but that doesn't mean there's a need to add more of that!

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 01:13
When Phil finally came clean and told us he was from Croatia and he was extremely fond of granite, we knew he could never be part of such a special place here on PA. Prog-related? No such thing!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 02:10
Because the only thing that relates Phil with prog is his history, not his solo music.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 02:17
Originally posted by BrianFromOkc BrianFromOkc wrote:

I've been a fan of ProgArchives for years, but I just registered one minute ago. I had to chime in on this thread, because I've wondered the same thing many times. I'm a huge Phil fan and I own all of his solo albums. I think he poured his heart into every Genesis album -- particularly his last one ("We Can't Dance") and the tour that followed. Just watch his performances on that DVD!

But in Genesis he could devote himself to drums and vocals. On his solo albums, he's spread thinner -- he has to cover all the bases himself. His albums are as far away from prog as a rocker can get. Therefore IMHO he does NOT belong on this site. HOWEVER, when I noticed that Kate Bush and John Wetton have pages here, I had to wonder why Phil is missing. I'd only seen Kate's name once before (a Peter Gabriel duet), and I recognized John's name from Asia, Crimson, UK, etc etc. I must admit I've never heard a note of their solo music; I've only perused their albums and reviews on this site. For all I know, they might be a prog goldmine, but I don't get that impression. So I'm still left wondering why Phil isn't here.

Obviously the PA administrators have to draw the line somewhere. Whenever man tries to put labels (like "Prog") on something that can't be labeled (like music), blurriness and inconsistency are unavoidable. But such labels are useful tools for discussion and have helped me discover many great bands here. Now I'm starting to go off the philosophical deep end, so I'll shut up :)

Another reason NOT to add Phil is because then they'd also have to add Mike & the Mechanics, and M&M are even less prog than Phil!

Welcome to the site!

Just to address the comments on Kate Bush and John Wetton . Kate Bush has made some experimental stuff like The Dreaming and side two of Hounds Of Love (The Ninth Gate) that puts her in a similar bracket to Peter Gabriel and his solo stuff. I'm not that familiar with Wettons solo music other than a few live albums , but he does play King Crimson and UK songs live while Collins does not play much (if any ) Genesis stuff. His solo albums are very distinct and seperate to prog music because thats how he prefers it. So the question is would he want his solo albums to be included on this site? I doubt it tbh.

Edited by richardh - August 07 2011 at 02:18
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 03:34
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Phil Collins solo stuff?
Because it's not prog.

Just a guess.
The "not exactly prog" is generous as well LOL

You may be right about members being on because they were in some prog group and their actual work isn't...but that doesn't mean there's a need to add more of that!

jep
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 04:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

When Phil finally came clean and told us he was from Croatia and he was extremely fond of granite, we knew he could never be part of such a special place here on PA. Prog-related? No such thing!

He only became fond of granite after he lost his marble(s). I guess it means he’s a fan of hard rock.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 05:07
If Phil Collins is on PA someday, i am afraid what would became PA in ten years...Shocked
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 05:27
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

He only became fond of granite after he lost his marble(s). I guess it means he’s a fan of hard rock.
I think Marillion took them. Wink
I could see it for Face Value, but we really don't want to see his face on front page when people start reviewing his albums.
Also, Ivan would sue the pants off anyone who attempted to do it.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 07 2011 at 05:32
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 05:30
^ not such a big deal.....Face Value yesThumbs Up
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>