Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 61>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in unexpected public places.
    Posted: March 30 2024 at 08:41
When I walked into the gym yesterday, they were playing No Reply at All by Genesis.  When I got out of the shower at the gym this morning, they were playing Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush.  I know both are on the pop side of prog, but they were both surprising since the gym is usually playing modern pop/hip-hop.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 17:10
I love the constant prog references in Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I just saw an episode where a military officer was walking down the hall of a research building, and Crow quipped “Hey, he just walked past Robert Fripp’s room!” In another episode, Crow and Tom Servo were lamenting that Gypsy doesn’t like ELP. They just couldn’t figure out why. In another they were rambling on about Jethro Tull and started mimicking the opening riff from Aqualung.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 18:22
Not sure if it's a prog band, and it definitely is not from their proggiest days, but I was at McDonald's the other day and "I Know You Are Out There Somewhere" by the Moody Blues was playing. I know it was a bit of a hit so maybe it wouldn't be unusual to hear it in the States or Europe, but here in Argentina it is, I had never heard the Moodies on the radio, maybe Nights in White Satin at best but that's it (and I'm not even sure I ever did). 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 17:09
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I was watching Mystery Science Theater the other day and the bots were discussing ELP and Tull. Lots of prog references on that show!

I used to hang out with Trace (Crow / Dr. Clayton Forester). In fact he was my boss for a while, back when he had an ordinary job. He was a blast.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 17:00
^agreed! I searched for Loudermilk and nothing came up, so if I’m being redundant I did try (shrug). There was also an ELP joke somewhere in there, about how they were great except live “and you bought the triple live album!”
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 16:17
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

There have been a few prog references in the Netflix series Loudermilk - about an ex-music critic, now an addiction support group leader. Quite a few scenes take place in a record shop so it's kinda fun to look around to see what's on display. There's been a couple of Jethro Tull jokes. One was directed at Ben, who wrote a kids' song about a lion in the forest but Loudermilk, being a pedantic jerk, points out that lions don't live in the forest, they live in the savannah. "What about the Wizard of Oz?" "They just used forest because nothing rhymes with jungle". "What about "Bungle". Loudermilk: "Jethro Tull tried that and it didn't work out very well". "Hey I love that song". Loudermilk: (eye-roll).

I've mentioned this a few times in other posts. It's a great show although not strictly 'A Netflix show' as they had nothing with the production of it whatsoever. However it would be nice if they took it on. I might even forgive them for the massive amount of drivel they've put out in recent years Smile
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 15:34
I was watching Mystery Science Theater the other day and the bots were discussing ELP and Tull. Lots of prog references on that show!
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 12:31
There have been a few prog references in the Netflix series Loudermilk - about an ex-music critic, now an addiction support group leader. Quite a few scenes take place in a record shop so it's kinda fun to look around to see what's on display. There's been a couple of Jethro Tull jokes. One was directed at Ben, who wrote a kids' song about a lion in the forest but Loudermilk, being a pedantic jerk, points out that lions don't live in the forest, they live in the savannah. "What about the Wizard of Oz?" "They just used forest because nothing rhymes with jungle". "What about "Bungle". Loudermilk: "Jethro Tull tried that and it didn't work out very well". "Hey I love that song". Loudermilk: (eye-roll).

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:27
Yesterday I heard four songs by King Crimson on the regular radio (a public station though). This station rarely plays prog. Those four songs were:

Cadence and Cascade
I Talk to the Wind
21st century schizoid man
In the Court of the Crimson King

A bit predictable but hey it's something.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 08 2024 at 16:31
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 11:19
A very unexpected appearance of Heart of the Sunrise in a shіtpost video
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/909853
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2023 at 06:53
This would be unexpected if I was watching it on tv and didn't go looking for something like this on youtube. ;)

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 20:09
I get to bring in 'Thick as a Brick' to a creative Writing class, and Happy the Man's Crafty Hands to a Pre-Calc class
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 13:06
Sitting in an American McDonald's.....so far, I've heard "Karn Evil 9," "Teacher" by Jethro Tull is playing now....they played "Reelin' In The Years" by Steely Dan also.  

Never had that happen before!  Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2023 at 09:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe this doesn't count but in my case the unexpected place was in my dream. I had a dream last night where I heard "leap of faith" by IQ in a chinese restaurant (or maybe it was more like a chinese take out place). In the dream the world was more open to prog in public. 

Cool!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2023 at 15:35
^ oh and I forgot to mention they played out that episode with Procol's A Whiter Shade Of Pale
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2023 at 15:31
Prog cropped up again in Billions, this time a character quoting lyrics from Thick As Brick in response to another character who was quoting Jerusalem. (in a much earlier episode they had a argument about Rush's best album)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2023 at 07:24
Maybe this doesn't count but in my case the unexpected place was in my dream. I had a dream last night where I heard "leap of faith" by IQ in a chinese restaurant (or maybe it was more like a chinese take out place). In the dream the world was more open to prog in public. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 20 2023 at 07:25
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2023 at 12:37
Not sure if this counts, but I had the ability to use King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man and a Plague of Lighthouse Keepers In a school project
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2023 at 01:38
^Classic
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2023 at 01:31
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I am a fan of this let's-play channel called Game Grumps, and one of their members, Dan, is a prog fan. I have heard him reference Tarkus, Gentle Giant (multiple times, he even sang Aspirations live with KERRY MINNEAR), The Architect by Haken, and his favorite band is Rush. He talks about the latter a lot. I'm too lazy to find some of these clips, but here's one I JUST saw and HAD to post because it's more obscure than the aforementioned.

Play the video from 22:17 - 24:17, and you'll hear him talk about Gilgamesh! He even tries to hum some of it.

I stopped watching Game Grumps after Jontron left.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 61>