Topic ClosedWhat is it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What are we all doing here?   Day after day, year after year, this continues to be one of the chattiest and most active music forums on the net.   Is it something about Prog Rock that tends to attract some of the most dedicated and obsessive fans in the world?   Could it be that Prog in its entirety was never properly preserved, and much of the lesser prog was on the verge of extinction before digital technology and worldwide access pulled it from oblivion?   Or maybe the time was ripe for a nostalgic second age of rock for the brain?

What do you think..?

I come here for the women.  LOL
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I might get attacked for this, but I think there is a bit of a correlation between people who enjoy discussing, analysing, over-analysing, tearing apart, making polls about, disagreeing about, arguing over, attaching hugely inflated importance to, citing philosophical, political, or social genius within, boycotting, corruptly rating and reviewing by creating multiple accounts, and least of all, listening to their music....... and people who happen to like prog.

Big smile

Did you mean that everyone that like prog doesn't listen to their music?... Or that showing your love for prog music is a sign of sickness?...

No, I was just joking around, implying that, in light of the amount of time a lot of people spend here, they must do all those other things more than they actually listen to prog. Myself included, of course.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 15:37
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

What are we all doing here?   Day after day, year after year, this continues to be one of the chattiest and most active music forums on the net.   Is it something about Prog Rock that tends to attract some of the most dedicated and obsessive fans in the world?   Could it be that Prog in its entirety was never properly preserved, and much of the lesser prog was on the verge of extinction before digital technology and worldwide access pulled it from oblivion?   Or maybe the time was ripe for a nostalgic second age of rock for the brain?

What do you think..?

I´m glad I´m not the only one thenLOL
Those bearded chicks from the Zeuhl quarters are some saucy mamas...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 17:29
I don't have a lot of friends or family, and PA is a way of communicating and connecting with people that has become very important to me.
          Progressive music is very important to me in itself, and being able to talk about it with like minded people is a real thrill!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 17:41
I just think it's way cool to have some computer discourse with folks from around the world who like some of the same music I do.  Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:05
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

One of the striking features for me on this forum is it is so easy to agree to disagree. I have seen, and participated in, long discussions with the participants not in agreement but still seeing fit to discuss. On most internet forums that I have been on, disagreements threaten to balloon and swing out of control but progheads are like economists in that regard.
I know what you mean, it feels good to be appreciated for having an independent mind or point of view, and to state it without fear of much more than a serious and/or silly debate

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Interesting question my little pear shaped playmate to be sure. I've always thought that distinct from other 'standalone' music phenomena (like say Reggae, Metal, Funk, Dance, Blues, Punk, Pop etc) the very eclectic nature of the beast we call Prog requires a more diverse exposure to the historical and contemporary elements it assimilates to be appreciated to the full.
I've considered that first part about diversity too, but yes Prog may indeed require - and may also promote - a larger historic and art vocabulary

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Though watch out for that Atavachron guy (he will eat your young, open your mail and squeezes the toothpaste from the bottom of the tube - allegedly)
Untrue; I only this year started squeezing from the bottom

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Maybe some of those albums released in the prime of this weird and wonderful genre - are just now finally unraveling themselves to people. Remember those threads about growers?
Could be, 'specially with Prog

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Right now I´m feasting on a succulent pear for lunch.
That's not funny

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:15
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I like progressive music. I don't have any friends close to my actual physical body, so I use this site as a way to talk to people who I have something in common with, whether the topic be the music we like, our status in school, news with families, or whatever.

I'd be so lonely without this place :(
Honest, and probably true for a lot of us

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 18:16
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Or, it could be that we are a tiny, little bit, obsesssive!Embarrassed
You think?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 19:24
Originally posted by progistoomainstream progistoomainstream wrote:

Prog is one of the few genres that I can fully and completely relate to. I feel that most good prog songs are simple in their complexity, short in their length, consise in their exaduration and funny in their seriousness. Prog is just a world of Art, Language and Noise but it holds these values true. That is what "it" is.
That's why you like Prog, but why are you here-- would you say Prog is important?  Important enough to discuss with the kind of protracted, verbose seriousness we do here?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 19:26
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Music has long  been my obsession Geek;  it is one of the ways I inividualized myself from my family and the less-than-glorious friends of younger days.  This site is a way for me to remain engaged in Prog, which is the core of my listening pleasure.  My tastes in music are eclectic, and much of it is brought together on this site: what we call symphonic prog here, folk, jazz fusion, what we call heavy prog here.  This site also allows me to explore and better appreciate some of my old favorites as well as introduce me to new artists.  By new, I do not mean those that have recently formed, but those new to my experience.  For example, Gryphon folded decades ago, but I just discovered them via the archives a few years prior.

I appreciate the way the question is raised.  Clap  It is not a matter of what defines Prog, for that issue has been raised many times and always devolves into unreconcilable expressions of viewpoints.  This question allows us to present our own views in an atmosphere that allows many to be brought together and perhaps synthesized.  As I frequently say, the questions are just as important as the answers, because the questions frame the way they can be answered.  Each of us has a unique experience and I really enjoy reading them.  There is no one answer to this question, nor should there be.  What is it?  It is many things.  That is what makes this community interesting to me, and why I am still involved.  Handshake
Lovely post

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 19:39
Combo breaker.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 23:39
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Combo breaker.

That's terribly mean.

I think I've been lucky enough to have many friends who at least like some form of progressive music, and one friend who likes more or less exactly the same types of music I like. With that I think it's still fun to talk about these things with people from all around the world and plus get info about bands I've never had the chance to check out.
There be dragons
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 00:35
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Combo breaker.
That's terribly mean.
Isnt it?  You'd think he'd love reading 53 straight posts by me.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 03:31
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I don't have a lot of friends or family, and PA is a way of communicating and connecting with people that has become very important to me.
          Progressive music is very important to me in itself, and being able to talk about it with like minded people is a real thrill!
Cool--  I have far fewer friends than I used to as well

... I blame Prog  LOL

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 06:28
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

What do you think..?

Both of them?
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 11:45
The reason why i'm here (don't laugh) is to show to all here my great musical knowlegde and how big a musical collection i have. A friend of mine once told me that and the guy was serious !!

And if an old friend thinks it, that must be true.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 13:53
Prog is the only genre in rock music that is appreciated by people who take time to listen,  think, analyse, argue, etc.
In all other genres, you get a immediate feeling, a impression that make people conclude, that they like it or not. In prog, it's not "Black and White", it's in the nuances, and it takes time to developp our taste for it. Prog music is written in a complexity that requires a interpretation that is also complex, and for this reason, need a more  elaborate explanation.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 15:26
I don't have as much time as I would like to dedicate to PA, let alone to check any other forums on the net, but I guess it's not that special, I guess there are also very active forums for many other hobbies or passions, be them prog rock, stamp or coin collecting, scale models, motorbike freaks, Star Treck freaks, gaming, sex, politics, fishing, hacking... anything. We just happen to like prog and enjoy sharing it, the same as other people like to share their different passions.

Here I always learn something I didn't know about this odd prog passion, and the folks around are for the most part nice, so I have a good time when I can spend some time here. And as others have said, it's not that easy to find other proggers in real life, so the net is useful.

And I guess most proggers are either old or ugly or both, so it's also a good thing we don't see each other's faces LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>