FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:10
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I just think it's way cool to have some computer discourse with folks from around the world who like some of the same music I do.  Big smile

Yes indeed! Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:10
What are we all doing here??
Well I can only speak for myself, after piddling in other music forums this site is simply the best. I have been on band specific, genre specific sites and while those are fine for a short time, there is not much to discuss once you get passed the "Why do you think xxx band is so great!"... "Why do you think xxx genre is the best?", simply no substance beyond the obvious answer.
For at least a year I came to PA just looking around, reading and "listening" to everyone........I laughed, I cried, I got pissed, I cheered and I booed!
Then I decided to join the PA, it just felt right after visiting so many other music sites on the world wide web. I don't really think it had much to do with my lifelong love of progressive music, what I saw and still see is a lot of respect for the members, which is important to me. I mean most of us don't have a lot of extra time on our hands so I don't fancy wasting it on a site that does not respect another members views, or worse has "forum clicks"......now "forum chicks" would be good!

Anyhow, I am here because I feel welcomed and comfortable enough to express my opinions without any disrepectful backlash.

Its just a good place to be.......Ohh and BTW, the music is pretty good too.

Thumbs Up
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 16:42
I discovered prog by accident, when I uploaded The Wall to my itunes player it was labeled as "progressive" I was intrigued by the label and did a google search, from then on this site has brought me more listening enjoyment than any other... I am here to discover and aid others in discovering great music!

oh and also arguing endlesslyBig smile
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 18:01
^ serendipity or what Approve
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 19:26
For me, the biggest reason is that I can talk about one of my passions in life (prog) when I would normally never be able to do so.  I have 1 friend that I know in real life that's actually into prog (not just PF or DT), and I feel like I can't express what I really love about music around most people.  For example, there have been times when I really want to listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or something but feel like I can't because my brother is in the car.  Other times I'll even play something that I consider "normal" like Porcupine Tree and get reactions like "What the heck is that!".  Really, it just comes down to being able to openly express myself and talk to some people that are actually weirder than me  Wink
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 20:12
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

For me, the biggest reason is that I can talk about one of my passions in life (prog) when I would normally never be able to do so.  I have 1 friend that I know in real life that's actually into prog (not just PF or DT), and I feel like I can't express what I really love about music around most people.  For example, there have been times when I really want to listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or something but feel like I can't because my brother is in the car.  Other times I'll even play something that I consider "normal" like Porcupine Tree and get reactions like "What the heck is that!".  Really, it just comes down to being able to openly express myself and talk to some people that are actually weirder than me  Wink
you need to get over that oneWink
I just play whatever comes to mind whenever I want, if that means that i get a funny look or even an angry response I dont care... actually people are way more accepting of music if you act like theres nothing wrong with a band singing in a made up language in opera style with jazz backing...Cool
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 21:57
Awesome thread. 

I think the answer is simple: it's because we meet so few people in real life who share the kind of love for music in general that nearly all proggers have. Wink
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

I discovered prog by accident, when I uploaded The Wall to my itunes player it was labeled as "progressive" I was intrigued by the label and did a google search, from then on this site has brought me more listening enjoyment than any other...
Very neat

cyclysm748 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2011 at 23:32
I really don't post on here a lot, but usually just read what others have to say. I always keep coming back to the site mainly just to find new stuff to listen to, but this forum seems to be filled with open minded funny people that always have interesting things to say so I can't stay away from checking out the new posts in the forum. Keep posting people, it is very entertaining.
I'm sorry but the card says moops.
42ndAGE View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2011 at 15:52
IT IS REAL; IT IS RAEL Tongue
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 11:16
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Did you ever experience the sensation of having discovered something incredibly good, able to change your life and your mind, trying to share this experience with somebody else to hear things like "it's already three minutes that it started when does it finish?" Put on Camel and see them replaced by The Wham? 

+1

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 11:23
"Mom, Dad, don't touch it, it's pure evil."
photo

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 19 2011 at 11:28
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Theriver View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:04
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

What are we doing here? Simple - we are growing, and preparing the way for the day when progheads take over responsibility for the running of all societiesNuke

Or, it could be that we are a tiny, little bit, obsesssive!Embarrassed

Can't agree more....

A bit sad too no?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 13:23
I love surfing through P.A. to read what members have written about "Chamber Rock". That sound's a bit selfish I know. I haven't touched base with anyone in particular for many years who has an interest in Chamber music or Chamber Rock....and so when I read their posts....I am in heaven! I love Chamber music from the middle ages and through the 20th century and still have endless possibilities of new discoveries. Many members of this site have vital information to offer regarding the style and I thrive, breath, and live for that. I cherish those moments of conversing with them because I haven't crossed paths with anyone to share that common interest with since the early 80's. I thank my lucky stars there are people on this site willing to discuss it. 
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 14:01
@Toddler.
What, what!? I searched the site for Chamber Rock but didn't find this as a sub-genre. Can you, please, give me some examples to check out. It sounds like something I'd appreciate.  
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 14:31
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

@Toddler.
What, what!? I searched the site for Chamber Rock but didn't find this as a sub-genre. Can you, please, give me some examples to check out. It sounds like something I'd appreciate.  
Probably not  technically correct for me to label it as "Chamber Rock". Look under RIO for these bands. Rio/Avant.....On a personal level...I consider a piece of music like "UN JOUR AU CHATEAU" by Art Zoyd to be a form of "Chamber Rock' when I consider the choice of instruments. Many bands like Art Zoyd who select specific instruments that were used in "Chamber Music" some 200 years ago I consider a form of what could be defined as "Chamber Rock". Although the approach in their styles regarding notation and modes seems to derive from 20th century composers like Cage, Crumb, Peter Maxwell Davies etc. The instrumental sections of music on Zappa's 200 Motels that are influenced possibly by Stravinsky seem to repeat themselves in a subtle fashion through the early releases of Art Zoyd and maybe even 1313 by Univers Zero. The mentality of approach musicially derives from the old concept of Chamber music.

The small grouping of musicians to play specific instruments together producing bizzare sounding tri-tone harmonies that one would hear in the Bartok string quartets...
Look up Chamber Music and read a little history on it...just to get the idea or concept of how the gathering of small groups of musicians playing specific instruments created a special sound. Then expose yourself to a few 20th century compositions for string quartet. John Cage's pieces for string quartet would be ideal. Then listen to Far Corner's first release or Univers Zero's and you will be able to hear that distinctive sound with a progressive rock edge within. That is why I call it "Chamber Rock". However it is listed under the catagorical term of RIO. Sorry for any confusion.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 15:09
The last release from Univers Zero is closer to being defined as a form of classy Chamber music than Chamber rock. A good healthy method of preparing your ears for Rio or what I call Chamber Rock is to check out a cd titled "Winter is Hard" by Kronos Quartet. Here a piece like Fratres ....Arvo Part...realized by Thomas Hofer is an introduction to the style present in Rio. Or Quartet NO. 3 By Alfred Schnittke and even Terry Riley's "Half-Wolf Dances Mad In Moonlight" performed ONLY by Kronos Quartet is a wonderful introduction to the style in RIO. Although I am not a fan of Terry Riley's works.....the piece is representive stylistically of what makes itself present in Chamber Rock or Rio. One Kronos Quartet release is basically a variety of pieces from various composers being a great introduction to what is out there.

The jazz side to RIO can be enjoyable and it can be found on many of the early Zappa releases....however I much prefer to hear the Patrick Zimmerli Ensemble instead. To make the distinction between the common sounding "Chamber Rock" and Jazz you must be able to pick up on the particular choice of notes utilized for improvisiation in both. This is how Jazz improv makes itself available in Rio. For example.....notes that were written out for a piece of music by George Crumb are improvised on sax creating a Jazz feel. Notes played on bassoon, oboe, violin, and English horn in a Univers Zero piece can be improvised in a Jazz style by Patrick Zimmerli Ensemble giving a composition the feel of a Chamber Rock piece. Rio is composition and improvisation based around the notes written in the music of 20th century composers. Some people think it is all loosely connected until they learn to play an instrument and realize one day that the notes they learned in a Rio piece....they previously played and connected the same way in Bernard Hermann's The Day the Earth Stood Still. Regarding the educational aspect of this music all the examples I have given are directly connected ...not loosely. The loosely connected aspect to it all is in some of Fripp's playing on the early Crimson releases or Gentle Giant where for example they harmonize on the piece "Knots". Band's like Art Zoyd and Univers Zero took the music further than that attempting to arrive closer to the 20th century Avant-Garde mentality.

Edited by TODDLER - October 28 2011 at 15:12
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 17:25
@Toddler.
Thank you for your extensive answer. I love the Kronos Quartet, I never thought they'd be on PA however. As always, it's hard to figure out what prog really is. Wink
I'll check out Art Zoyd and the others you mentioned.
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 18:53
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I just think it's way cool to have some computer discourse with folks from around the world who like some of the same music I do.  Big smile

Yes indeed! Big smile

Clap
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 21:12
Oops! Meant to click Allrecipes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>