1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 08:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Tell me more about   It appears to be out of print, but I used to have a live tape of one of his shows where there was there was a heavy synth presence and I have no idea what album was out in conjunction with that tour. I've picked up a couple of albums of his so far, but they're just basic modern jazz.

I didn't quite understand this post. Are we talking about Dave Pike? If so, Dave Pike Set is his fusion band, and differs quite a lot from most of his solo stuff.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 16:31
^
yes, Dave Pike set is rather fusion. I adore 'gentle noise, noisy silence', a true delight if you like vibraphone, and a cover of a Zappa song.
German label MPS released a lot of forgotten jazz-fusion forgotten gems, among which Peter Herbolzheimer's Rhythm combination & brasss's 'scenes' and New Dave Pike Set's 'Salomao' which has a latine vibe. Dave Pike set's 'gentle noise...' was also reissued on this german label, specializing in groove jazz.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 17:20
I'm not familiar with any of these albums, except the Donald Byrd album; though I do know a lot of these artists.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 17:37
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Tell me more about   It appears to be out of print, but I used to have a live tape of one of his shows where there was there was a heavy synth presence and I have no idea what album was out in conjunction with that tour. I've picked up a couple of albums of his so far, but they're just basic modern jazz.

I didn't quite understand this post. Are we talking about Dave Pike? If so, Dave Pike Set is his fusion band, and differs quite a lot from most of his solo stuff.
That doesn't ring a bell, but sounds like something I should check out.  We're talking early '80's or thereabouts.  The concert was taped to cassette off the radio.  I don't remember the particular program.  Alas the tape was lost in the flood and had separated from one of the "wheels".  I was going to splice it and attempt to recover the music but never got around to it. 

OK went back to the last page, I'm talking Japer van't Hoff.  That Dave Pike sounds pretty good.

I also don't have that Joachim Kuhn, but Sunshower and Springfever are great.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 27 2011 at 17:43
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 17:55

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not on the list, I would say Bob James' One (and Buster Williams' Pinnacle should at least be in Related, I think). though more jazz).

Bob James opening track is a masterpiece. I'll see if I can squeeze him in as well. "Other" is an essential part of the poll.:

I remember Pinnacle as a nice album, but not nearly as engaging as the rest of the Mwandishi-related treasures. Filed and forgotten along with Eddie Henderson Sunburst and Julian Priester Polarization if you know what I mean. I know you're not saying anything about quality, but do you consider it to be much better than I remember it? I've got it digitally, should I give it another go?

No, it is nice, but pretty forgettable -- if I'm in the mood, I may play it now and then..  I just mentioned it I think it cause I was thinking about Bob James and Bobby Hutcherson which led me to think about another first B name, Buster Keaton, which made me think of Buster Williams (sounds silly, but my mind tends to associate that way).  I prefer Polarization and Sunburst to Pinnacle.  Incidentally, my first Priester and Henderson albums respectively were Polarization and Sunburst.  Of the two, I return to Polarization more which I don't love, love like Love, Love or Realization, and I put Inside Out over Sunburst.

Oh, one album that i think good that could add to the list (not suggesting you add it to the list) is Freddie Hubbard's First Light, but it's also not an album I tend to return to.

By the way, the Solar Plexus album was a terrific addition to your list, which I have voted for to go along with the others I voted for.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 03:43

That doesn't ring a bell, but sounds like something I should check out.  We're talking early '80's or thereabouts.  The concert was taped to cassette off the radio.  I don't remember the particular program.  Alas the tape was lost in the flood and had separated from one of the "wheels".  I was going to splice it and attempt to recover the music but never got around to it. 

OK went back to the last page, I'm talking Japer van't Hoff.  That Dave Pike sounds pretty good.

I also don't have that Joachim Kuhn, but Sunshower and Springfever are great.

I'll comment on Jasper, but first Joachim Kuhn. Brutal fusion with funky fuzzorgan, hyperactive drumming, frenetic guitar and cinematic strings. Should appeal to Mahavishnu-fans (I prefer Kuhn).

Now Mr Van't Hof. The wiki article doesn't even mention my two favorite albums: Association - Earwax, (1970 with: Toto Blanke, Pierre Courbois, Siggi Busch and Peter Krijnen) and Selfkicker from 1976, another one featuring Toto Blanke. He might be my  favorite fusion guitarist. Lots of feel. Earwax is hardrocking fusion, while Jasper's soloalbum is more melodic, not as busy and even features a couple of beautiful, impressionistic solo piano pieces.

There's nothing by either of these albums on youtube, but if you like this, I think you'll love both:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 04:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Oh, one album that i think good that could add to the list (not suggesting you add it to the list) is Freddie Hubbard's First Light, but it's also not an album I tend to return to.

By the way, the Solar Plexus album was a terrific addition to your list, which I have voted for to go along with the others I voted for.

I thought of Freddie Hubbard, but relistened only  to Red Clay and Straight Life. And as I remembered, both of them are just very good jazz containing some el piano. I should have tried your suggestion, which really is fusion. It was just a very long time since I've listened to any of his albums. The titletrack is stunning. Freddie's got a lovely sound:

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 10:54
i simply love Jasper's album with Philip Catherine and Charlie Mariano from '78 called Sleep My Love, and also van't Hof's live album from around '78 Live at Montreux
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 08:22
there is excellent jazz-fusion band Matalex, I asked it for candidates to PA, but they was refused as "not progressive enough"  (strange, when Bjork considered a prog lol:  )

Edited by awaken77 - November 01 2011 at 08:22
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 11:35
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

van't Hof's live album from around '78 Live at Montreux
That's the concert I've been looking for. Big smile  Now where the hell can I get a copy? $100.00 used on Amazon. Cry  Eh, found one on ebay for $40, cut out, very tempting.
A1
U.F.O. 8:48
A2
Pineau 7:04
A3
Easy Draw 6:00
A4
Kalimba 1:12
B1
Scarbble 7:35
B2
Hotel De Botel 4:04
B3
Schwester Johanna, Variation 2 13:02

Credits

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 01 2011 at 11:50
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 09:15

What a lineup! Love Mouzon's playing on everything I've heard. His percussion is all over the place in a good way on  Jeremy Steigs Temple of Birth. Flute 'n' drums a underrated combo outside of marches:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12