Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg: best documented genre on the web?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog: best documented genre on the web?
    Posted: November 10 2011 at 04:23
I've never come across a website about a musical genre (and it's subgenres) that has as much information as progarchives. Next to PA there are some other websites as well and on the broad www.allmusic.com all genres are equally documented.

What do you think:

Is progressive rock the best documented musical genre on the internet?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 04:33
um

no
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 06:29
Not sure, since it's the only genre I pay much attention to on the web. You can certainly say it is one of the most ardently followed genres, because, face it we are the most intense fans when it comes to our music,  and as a function of that prog has a very prominent, detailed and large following on the internet. 
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 07:40
No, I think heavy metal is a bit more documented than prog.
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Redug View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 08:12
http://www.metal-archives.com/

Yeah, this is more extensive than progarchives.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 08:12
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I've never come across a website about a musical genre (and it's subgenres) that has as much information as progarchives. Next to PA there are some other websites as well and on the broad www.allmusic.com all genres are equally documented.

What do you think:

Not yet.  I am not aware of any university programs focused upon prog music, while there are a multitude of programs in classical and jazz.  

I'd guess that trad jazz, with its historical documentation by publications such as "Downbeat," would have better documentation than prog.  Jazz is, after all, about 100 years old (at least) and incorporates highly studied musical forms including call & response African traditional music.  
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 09:01
I don't know anything about Metal's online following, but is it actually bigger than prog rock or is it just that metal has 4000 sub genres each featuring like two bands?

I don't really mean that very seriously or care for an answer, but really, on these metal sites I'll look and see something like "tech extreme death core" , *click" , oh this band also has their own genre.

Edited by himtroy - November 10 2011 at 09:02
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Redug View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 09:05
As somebody involved in both metal and prog's online followings I assure you metal has a larger one. By quite a bit.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 09:43
Hahaha no. Metal, Electronic, and Jazz all have tons more words spilled over defining and categorizing them than prog does.
Revan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 10:13
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Hahaha no. Metal, Electronic, and Jazz all have tons more words spilled over defining and categorizing them than prog does.

I failed to find a jazz webpage which is as comprehensive, structured and categorized as the archives are for prog. I wouldn't know for electronic music.

Edited by Revan - November 10 2011 at 10:15

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by Revan Revan wrote:

I failed to find a jazz webpage which is as comprehensive, structured and categorized as the archives are for prog. I wouldn't know for electronic music.

Well if we're talking single websites, then maybe not for jazz, but it is much more well-documented in literature. Ishkur's electronic thing and basically RYM has more info on everything than we do.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 10:24

Possibly, I haven't really looked into it.  This one shows nearly 35,000 songs available as MP3 downloads:

I WILL say that PA seems to have one of the most involved user bases I've encountered online!  I believe that its breadth and inclusive of a huge number of sub-genres (Canterbury, Symphonic, proto-prog, prog related etc.) opens up the site for much discussion and analysis. 

The discussions are usually very high-level and posters very knowledgeable.  It's a real pleasure to visit & learn!  

Excuse me, I have to check in on the Justin Bieber archives.....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 10:26
Cry  So, what's the WORST documented genre on the web?  Zeuhl?  Prog punk?  

Edited by cstack3 - November 10 2011 at 12:25
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 10:53

I do agree this site is amazing for prog info. The best, not sure.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 12:17
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

What do you think:

Not yet.  I am not aware of any university programs focused upon prog music, while there are a multitude of programs in classical and jazz.  

I'd guess that trad jazz, with its historical documentation by publications such as "Downbeat," would have better documentation than prog.  Jazz is, after all, about 100 years old (at least) and incorporates highly studied musical forms including call & response African traditional music.  

I think the idea was to discuss "on internet", not in libraries or universitiesStern Smile

Well, Jazz documentation is surprisingly fragmentred on the web (ditto for classical, even if I never checked)... even sites that specializes in jazz have very incomplete discogs and are not very structured IMHO .... until JMA appeared.... but the site is still in its first year

I do believe that Metal music is generally better documented (both in books and on web), because the fans are even more fanboys and anal (in Freudian sense of the word).....

so yes, Prog is well developped on the web

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 12:35
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I think the idea was to discuss "on internet", not in libraries or universitiesStern Smile

Understood.  However, all the databases are rapidly becoming posted to the Internet.  I teach at University of Illinois & most of our classes, assignments, readings etc. are web-based through sites like Blackboard.  

The question is "Prog: best documented genre on the web?" and really, outside of PA, most sites I've seen were dedicated to particular bands - Yesworld, Elephant Talk etc. 

If the domain we are discussing is the entire WWW, then I'd posit Jazz is likely the best documented & most extensive. 

Here's another site:  http://www.neajazzintheschools.org/home.php

Regarding Prog, the only "textbook" on prog I'm aware of is the voluminous "Music of Yes: Structure and Vision in Progressive Rock" by DePaul Philosophy Professor (and Prog bassist) Bill Martin.  

Prof. Fareed Haque, guitarist extraordinaire, is Chair of guitar studies at Norther Illinois University.  I'm sure he uses more online jazz resources than prog rock, although he's thoroughly fluent in all idioms (jazz, classical, prog, fusion, Indo-Pak etc.).  

Prog is still very young as an art form compared to other branches of music, but it is catching up quickly. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 16:49

What do you think:

PA is one of the best. But sadly, almost none of the websites that dedicate themselves to the "genre" are about the genre at all ... most of them are strictly fan sites, as this one is.

PA, in many ways, is not even a fan site ... it's a database site and that's about the best thing one can say for it. For one thing they are not interested in the peripherals that come with the music ... sort of like the child is made from science, not two people. It does have its value in entertainment, but not sure anywhere else, specially as an art form!

I have requested to help formulate some information into something that is more valuable and important as a compendium and diary of progressive music, but I think that PA's leadership is not interested in doing much ... just adding more headstones to the cemetary of names no one knows or will ever see, or check.

Seems like a waste to me ... but it's not my call.

The bad part? Music exists by itself and there is no connection between the people, the time, the place, other artists and anything else ... and when you take the "soul" out of the artist, the only thing you have left is some ideological concepts about scales, notes and other fancies that are more imaginary than they are real.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 16:52

The sister web site to this one is about jazz!

Should check it out soemtimes! But even there, they are so ... here they make the first page flowery and psychedelic and such .. there they make it conventional ... how's that for boring and not representative of what the music is really all about?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 18:14
I say that hip hop and metal are probably much more well documented.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 18:46
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

What do you think:

I have requested to help formulate some information into something that is more valuable and important as a compendium and diary of progressive music, but I think that PA's leadership is not interested in doing much ... just adding more headstones to the cemetary of names no one knows or will ever see, or check.

Seems like a waste to me ... but it's not my call.

I disagree with the bolded.  I love those obscure bands.  I do check them, listen, and enjoy having such depth of artists to explore.  Some of my favorite albums are ones which few have heard of.  And I'm not alone.  Admittedly our work is there for a small niche of fans, but that does make it unimportant or "a waste."  Listeners here connect with both well known and completely obscure artists every day.  That makes the work here very worthwhile to me. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>