Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Sinfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2005 at 20:34

I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority, but I purchased this album and was seriously disappointed with it. I expected something more visionary and instead got a lot of mediocre, overproduced pop-rock crap. Pete Sinfield cannot sing and therefore should not sing.

Pete Sinfield is a good lyricist, a good imaginative poet in the romantic vein, and he should stick to that (and actually try to more seriously develop his talent instead of writing schlock lyrics), but hey everyone's got to make a living, and far be it from me to put down the way a person makes a livelihood.

But the album...don't go there, or go there with a safety net.

"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 00:56
Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

General Question: When did Peter Sinfield stop writing words for King Crimson? (as in which album)

What other projects has he done aside from KC?

His last major release writing with King Crimson was Islands.

His other projects as far as writing are:

1971 McDonald & Giles - McDonald & Giles
1973 Photos of Ghosts - PFM
1973 Still - Peter Sinfield
1993 All the Best - Leo Sayer (composer)
1993 Robert Sheckley's In a Land of Clear Colours - Brian Eno & Pete Sinfield (narrator)

He's also produced a hell of a lot of things, and is credited on a lot of compilations.
rcdupre View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 14:36
I've never heard Still, have to search it out. I did see on E-Bay a bootleg from around the same time that was listed as "Pete Sinfield and PFM" and was a live show, I'd love to hear that!
Grimm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 01:11
Islands was his swan-song with King Crimson. He went straight to Greg Lake and ELP.
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be or seem to be self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
time.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 04:16
Originally posted by Scrambled_Eggs Scrambled_Eggs wrote:

He wrote lyrics for Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, PFM, and Garry Brooker from Procol Harum?!?!, and Sinfield also released his own album titled "Still" in 1973.  I know he produced a few albums too, but I can't seem to recall which ones.

Not that I know of , in Procol Harum!!! Keith Reid was the official lyricist. Also a lyrics only contributor!!!  Maybe on a solo album of Gary Brooker.

Although Pete Sinfield did handle the light show for KC too and toured with them as a member. By the time of Island (and already Lizard) , he was the only original member left except for BOB, himself!

Apparently , Robert hated people calling him Bob, and was really pissed off at the persons persisting into it.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 08:08
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Pete Sinfield is a good lyricist,

Only if you set your standards really low.

He's not a good story teller (Benny the Bouncer), he will gladly go for the most obvious and trite of clichés (How quick the tree of love/Bears fruit of hate", or for awkward pseudopoetic nonsense instead (Man alone, born of stone/Will stamp the dust of time/His hands strike the flame of his soul/Ties a rope to a tree and hangs the Universe/Until the wind of laughter blows cold).

Admittedly, some of the tracks of his early Crimson work (ItCotCK, Epitaph) are pretty good for what they are, but they're certainly not tours de force of lyrical prowess. At least not if you listen to lyrics outside Prog and/or have read some poetry in your time.

Edited by Teaflax
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 09:14
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Pete Sinfield is a good lyricist,

Only if you set your standards really low.

He's not a good story teller (Benny the Bouncer), he will gladly go for the most obvious and trite of clichés (How quick the tree of love/Bears fruit of hate", or for awkward pseudopoetic nonsense instead (Man alone, born of stone/Will stamp the dust of time/His hands strike the flame of his soul/Ties a rope to a tree and hangs the Universe/Until the wind of laughter blows cold).

Admittedly, his early Crimson work (ItCotCK, Epitaph) are pretty good for what they are, but they're certainly not tours de force of lyrical prowess. At least not if you listen to lyrics outside Prog and/or have read some poetry in your time.

Very very true. I maintain that Ian Anderson is by far the best lyricist in prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12