Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeith Emerson and music theory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 12:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Keith Emerson and music is thin at one end, much much thicker in the middle, and thin again at the far end.
...in theory Wink
What?
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 01:14
I can't listen to stuff like "Fanfare" that's too polished and well played, but bought the Deluxe Edition of "Pictures" after watching "Prog Rock Britannia" and realising how wild they could be live. There are three different concerts on it and Emerson makes some amazing racket. I love the bit when Greg Lake is singing some dirge only for it to be suddenly oblterated by a mad blast of noise which sounds to me like Emerson fell asleep and toppled across the controls of the Moog. Top marks to Greg for the Hendrix intro to "The Barbarian" though.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 05:27
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

In fact, I heard some of his songs and there's a lot of unwanted dissonances in his parts like if he didn't know in what scale or chord to play in and play anything. in opposite the parts Greg Lake composed are all greatly done with respects of the scale they are in and with logical chords. It is an opinion but I guess that Keith Emerson don't know all the subtilities of musical theory and the link between the theory and composition. I know he made solo albums but they are just as his parts in Tarkus or Toccata: random scales in random chords.

I am sure you are aware that Toccata is just an adaptation and not his composition, strictly speaking.  At any rate, I don't hear anything random whatsoever in Tarkus or Toccata.  It is all satisfactorily resolved.  Dissonance is tasty, too bad some people prefer it bland. Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 07:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Keith Emerson and music is thin at one end, much much thicker in the middle, and thin again at the far end.
...in theory Wink

It also is my theory about the Keith Emerson and what it is too. Tongue

(I really did watch a bit too much Monty Python when I was young.) Embarrassed

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 22 2012 at 08:02
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 09:15
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

I can't listen to stuff like "Fanfare" that's too polished and well played, but bought the Deluxe Edition of "Pictures" after watching "Prog Rock Britannia" and realising how wild they could be live. There are three different concerts on it and Emerson makes some amazing racket. I love the bit when Greg Lake is singing some dirge only for it to be suddenly oblterated by a mad blast of noise which sounds to me like Emerson fell asleep and toppled across the controls of the Moog. Top marks to Greg for the Hendrix intro to "The Barbarian" though.

That Deluxe edition is brilliant ,much the best I've acquired by any artist

The bit you refer to is on The Sage (or might be just before it and its not a ''Dirge'' btw). Keith did have some problems with the Moog in the early days and programming it to make certain sounds. Wasn't always as slick as he would have liked but at least you get a proper representation of the live shows at the Lyceum and Isle Of Wight ( both1970). The official album release from 1971 is just too polished and a tad boring for my liking.
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 19:17
And the first part of Tarkus with him playing in a simple scale while it's obvious there's two and that the riff is made on 4ths. He sure knows a bit of his musical rules but not enough and still want to apply the rules he learned but it's not always working. When composers use dissonance it's always clearly wanted. Even real good improvisers make dissonance but it is wanted and it is clear. Keith Emerson's dissonances sound only like errors. There's a huge difference between wanted and unwanted dissonance.

Edited by The_Jester - January 28 2012 at 17:00
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 20:17
The point is "wanted" or not wanted may be a matter of taste here and not reflect his education.  
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 01:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keith did have some problems with the Moog in the early days
Ah, I see now that what I am impressed by here is the feeling that Emerson is battling against the foces of chaos and randomness. It could all come apart at any moment, but his skill and inspiration are producing far more exciting music than could ever be achieved by sitting quietly and writing a lot of notes down, no matter how cleverly.Star
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 01:46
 ^ exactly; they flirted with utter disaster and usually pulled it off

daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 07:59
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

For Toccata I was aware it was an arrangement but listen to the first chord. There's a tritone and two minor seconds (half tones). It is used in some contemporary work but never in such a way. It's not scary it's only a quickly made intro. And the first part of Tarkus with him playing in a simple scale while it's obvious there's two and that the riff is made on 4ths. He sure knows a bit of his musical rules but not enough and still want to apply the rules he learned but it's not always working. When composers use dissonance it's always clearly wanted. Even real good improvisers make dissonance but it is wanted and it is clear. Keith Emerson's dissonances sound only like errors. There's a huge difference between wanted and unwanted dissonance.

It may sound like errors to your ears. I'm not a big ELP fan to be honest, but I'm completely sure that Emerson knew what he was doing, I have the feeling though that he tried too hard once in a while and the music feels a little mechanic to my ears, but that's a matter of personal taste.
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 15:26
Having said that years of music theory aren't necessary to play good music, I think that to dissonate in the way Keith does is necessary a strong musical theory, because dissonation is not random noise (o 'rlly?). In his piano/hammond improvisations, I hear a lot of musical skills, and not only speed.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keith did have some problems with the Moog in the early days
Ah, I see now that what I am impressed by here is the feeling that Emerson is battling against the foces of chaos and randomness. It could all come apart at any moment, but his skill and inspiration are producing far more exciting music than could ever be achieved by sitting quietly and writing a lot of notes down, no matter how cleverly.Star
I've always felt that for Keith the journey was more important than the destination. He used to pull apart his own peices and try to find different ways of playing them. Tarkus had so many different incarnations over the years. Other bands/artists just went on stage and played things exactly like they were written (yawn).
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 17:20
I'm sorry my friend,
But I think Keith Emerson is original.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 17:55
Well, I said it was an opinion, you all have yours and it's perfectly okay but it doesn't change. I don't say he doesn't know all of his musical theory. I simply say that he doesn't seem to know it enough. I sure saw an evolution through time (he's not the same composer from Tarkus to Brain Salad Surgery) but I keep my point. And I admit that in Toccata the first chord was completely wanted. 

- Napoléon Bonaparte
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 19:00
I warn you.

I am the guy who talks to you every morning on the bus.

And Toccata was an arrangement of the 4th Movement of Alberto Ginastera's Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28.

Edited by geneyesontle - January 25 2012 at 19:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 17:49

Like I said before, I sure know it is an arrangement.

- Napoléon Bonaparte
frogbs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 10:44
It's ridiculous to say that Keith didn't know what he was doing though I believe he spent a lot of time trying to do things his own way, for better or worse
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 13:56
I studied music for 1.5 years and have played music as a low-level amateur for 20 years but I can not claim knowing music theory myself, so I can not debate on technical grounds.

The only thing I can say is, a lot of his music sounds like heaven to my ears.

If you can do Fugue (in between the 2 parts of The Endless Enigma) or the wonderful piano parts in Trilogy, or the Piano Improvisations in Welcome Back My Friends, or Piano Concerto... without knowing music theory, then at the very least you deserve big congratulations!

Edited by Gerinski - January 28 2012 at 05:27
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 02:45
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I studied music for 1.5 years and have played music as a low-level amateur for 20 years but I can not claim knowing musical theory myself, so I can not debate on technical grounds.

The only thing I can say is, a lot of his music sounds like heaven to my ears.

If you can do Fugue (in between the 2 parts of The Endless Enigma) or the wonderful piano parts in Trilogy, or the Piano Improvisations in Welcome Back My Friends... without knowing musical theory, then at the very least you deserve big congratulations!

Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 11:24

I never heard the album Trilogy but I'll try it and see if he evolved. But I sure know that in Tarkus and the albums before that he does things that have a little connection with the scales they are in but that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play, etc. In Brain Salad Surgery I couldn't believe he doesn't know his musical theory. He evolved but it wasn't always like that.

- Napoléon Bonaparte
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>