Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeith Emerson and music theory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 11:29
Will you ever stop presenting your opinions as fact?
What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 12:13
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

I never heard the album Trilogy but I'll try it and see if he evolved. But I sure know that in Tarkus and the albums before that he does things that have a little connection with the scales they are in but that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play, etc. In Brain Salad Surgery I couldn't believe he doesn't know his musical theory. He evolved but it wasn't always like that.

I think you should also consider that Emerson had to adapt his music to the requirements of the band. Tarkus was composed on the piano and famously Lake didn't want anything to do with it at first. It then evolved into something different.Thats not to say I agree with your general comments but just to make the point that ELP was not 'The Keith Emerson Band'.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 15:18
I can't say I'm looking forward to hearing Jester's corrected versions, but maybe they'll create some interest in academic circlesGeek
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:09
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I am not presenting my opinions as facts I present it as opinions. I did not made this thread with intentions of starting up everyone I only wanted to offer my view on this situation and trying to get my opnion evolving. I wanted to hear about others to know what you find and why. I also want to make you think of the situation and get your opinions evolving. I offer arguments wich are my convivtions but if you prove my arguments aren't good I'll change my mind (like for Toccata) and admit things. I only wanted a serious debate.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:15

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I am not presenting my opinions as facts I present it as opinions. I did not made this thread with intentions of starting up everyone I only wanted to offer my view on this situation and trying to get my opnion evolving. I wanted to hear about others to know what you find and why. I also want to make you think of the situation and get your opinions evolving. I offer arguments wich are my convivtions but if you prove my arguments aren't good I'll change my mind (like for Toccata) and admit things. I only wanted a serious debate.
No sunshine, you present them as fact, for example: "but that still does a dissonance because he doesn't consider chord change or the note he should play" - that is indeed your opinion, but you are stating it as a fact, which is certainly is not - you cannot possibly know what he does or does not consider nor can you even speculate.
What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:33
Did you notice your 'comma' key is broken? Wink

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:36

For this one, I totally agree with you but everyone does errors. In fact, I was saying this because it is a fact: he doesn't consider the chord changes in the beginning of Tarkus, and the notes he should play (if it was by the book), he does not play them. He makes dissonance in all Tarkus. I've seen the scores, I analysed it and this is my conclusion. There's a key change in the riff and he does not consider it. He continues to play like if he was in the first chord. I sure omitted some things in the statement like ''in the beginning of Tarkus''. I'm still sorry, I can't say I'm right but please, let me have my opinion too.

Edited by The_Jester - January 28 2012 at 16:59

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:42
Interesting... what makes you so sure he didn't do this on purpose?
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:48
It maybe was but even if it was he still didn't consider it. You can unconsider something on purpose.

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:50

For this one, I totally agree with you but everyone does errors. In fact, I was saying this because it is a fact: he doesn't consider the chord changes in the beginning of Tarkus, and the notes he should play (if it was by the book), he does not play them. He makes dissonance in all Tarkus. I've seen the scores, I analysed it and this is the conclusion. There's a key change in the riff and he does not consider it. He continues to play like if he was in the first chord. I sure omitted some things in the statement like ''in the beginning of Tarkus''. I'm still sorry, I can't say I'm right but please, let me have my opinion too.

I repeat - 'you cannot possibly know what he does or does not consider nor can you even speculate' - if he does not play the "right" note "by the book" it does not mean he did not consider it - you don't know whether he considered it or not, I don't know that, my pet cat does not know that and the man in the moon does not know that, only Keith Emerson knows that.

Also playing "by the book" is not the golden rule that's never to be broken - Music Theory, as I have said before, is a means to describe what has been used, not a means of restricting what can be used.

By all means have your opinion, but phrase it as opinion not fact:

"I analysed it and this is the conclusion" is opinion presented as fact

"I analysed it and this is my conclusion" is opinion presented as opinion

and consider the possibility that what Emerson composed was what he wanted to compose and the dissonance are deliberate and planned..
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:52
Also playing "by the book" is not the golden rule that's never to be broken - Music Theory, as I have said before, is a means to describe what has been used, not a means of restricting what can be used. And that's not an opinion?

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:58

It maybe was but even if it was he still didn't consider it. You can unconsider something on purpose.

You're writing nonsense - have you been drinking? Unless he told you personally, you will never know whether he considered it. The difference is that when he 'did something', it will show in the scores you looked at, whether he 'considered doing something' is unknown to you, unless he told you he did or he wrote that down somewhere and you read it.
ISKC Rock Radio
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 16:58

I'm done.
What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:04
con·sid·er 
v. con·sid·eredcon·sid·er·ingcon·sid·ers
v.tr.
1. To think carefully about.
2. To think or deem to be; regard as. See Usage Note at as1.
3. To form an opinion about; judge: considers waste to be criminal.
4. To take into account; bear in mind: Her success is not surprising if you consider her excellent training.
5. To show consideration for: failed to consider the feelings of others.
6. To esteem; regard.
7. To look at thoughtfully.

All 7 of these are things for which you cannot judge whether they have been done just by looking at a music scores - unless they are annotated to indicate this..

Edited by Angelo - January 28 2012 at 17:06
ISKC Rock Radio
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:06
Maybe I'm wrong with defining ''consideration'' because I tought that not considering something was like not taking care of an element (in this case not taking care of the chord change) and could be wanted or not.

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:14
Well, this time I clearly lost. You win, I did make a big argumentative error and I'm sorry to have done it. What I wanted to say is that he continued playing on the same chord while the chord changed that's all.

Edited by The_Jester - January 28 2012 at 17:15

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:15
"consider" has the latin root considerare meaning "to look at closely or to observe". Often in English to say that you considered something is used in context for not doing something - for example, "I considered going to the cinema, but it was raining so I stayed at home."
What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:18

Mr. Emerson only does what he thinks ''sounds good''.
What do you think?

I think everybody does what they think sounds good. Unless they are payed to do diffrent.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:23

Well, this time I clearly lost. You win, I did make a big argumentative error and I'm sorry to have done it. What I wanted to say is that he continued playing on the same chord while the chord changed that's all.

That's fine, no worries. What triggered me initially was not the word 'consider', but rather the fact that you wrote ' I couldn't believe he doesn't know his musical theory'. It's related: you don't know whether he did not know is musical theory when he decided to continue playing on the same chord. In my opinion he did know his theory, otherwise there's a big chance he would never have reached the heights he did. For one thing, some of his pieces have been, and still are, performed by classical orchestras. The musicians that play in these are not the most open minded when it comes to violating the 'laws' laid down in music theory, so he must have done something right.... Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 17:26

Maybe I'm wrong with defining ''consideration'' because I tought that not considering something was like not taking care of an element (in this case not taking care of the chord change) and could be wanted or not.
I don't see how playing the same chord while the underlying melody changes key is an error - it's called polytonality, or in this case bitonality, it can be harmonised or it can be dissonant - that's covered in music theory too.

/edit - many 20th Century composers used bitonality, for example Aaron Copland... and we all know that ELP covered his music. Wink

Edited by Dean - January 28 2012 at 17:37
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>