Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:33
^^^  The hallmark of ITCOTCK is it demonstrated a template for a certain kind of prog.   Prog would have come into being anyway via the great psychedelic rock bands like Floyd, Doors, Jefferson Airplane and, of course, Beatles.  But ITCOTCK's model was built on developing and exploring themes in an organized manner rather than relying on chaos and improvisation.   It was certainly found to be influential as Yes and Genesis, in particular, lapped it up.   But it is more important and influential than it is interesting.  Each to his own, but I cannot fathom where those who say it's the only or one of very few KC albums worth listening to are coming from.   To me, it feels somewhat bland and plodding compared to the Wetton lineup and sorely lacks the infectious energy of Discipline.  I agree with diehard ITCOTCK advocates that it is all very composed and structured but composition and structure is not everything; improvisation has an important place in rock music as the Wetton lineup itself would demonstrate.

Edited by rogerthat - July 21 2012 at 23:38
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 06:52
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^  The hallmark of ITCOTCK is it demonstrated a template for a certain kind of prog.   Prog would have come into being anyway via the great psychedelic rock bands like Floyd, Doors, Jefferson Airplane and, of course, Beatles. ------------------  To me, it feels somewhat bland and plodding compared to the Wetton lineup and sorely lacks the infectious energy of Discipline.  I agree with diehard ITCOTCK advocates that it is all very composed and structured but composition and structure is not everything; improvisation has an important place in rock music as the Wetton lineup itself would demonstrate.

Bingo, bingo and bingo -100% agreed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678