Topic ClosedBenoit David has left Yes...says Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 08:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I actually thought of the amount of original members needed to keep the band the same band--the answer in a 5 piece group is 3. Smile    In Yes' case where there is a Steve Howe there is the possibility of Yes.

Steve Howe isn't an "original" member.

In my mind he is---ha ha---(or put Banks in if it want I always wanted to hear him play CTTE. )
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 09:58
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

squire is hilarious in his outfits. part of the fun i guess.  i'd also add Future Times to the setlist.  great tune.  

my hunch is that we might see a classic line up pull together an album that is, hopefully, better than mediocre.  then maybe a run of shows in london and new york.  then they will fade away with yes and all the other projects that no one cares about...except maybe steve howe solo albums...i like many of those

Dude, if we keep meeting up up like this people will start to talk...Wink
Serioulsy, I could not let your "Future Times" remark stand alone...

Future Times Rocks!!!!  Alan White playing a millitary snare???  That takes stones, man!  What coolness!  God I miss those old "North Tom Toms" of Alan's.Approve

Tormato was recorded so thin & harsh, but the actual songs, Future Times/Rejoice & Release Release & Silent Wings
are as good as any music I have heard.ClapClapClap

I do think you are right and that Jon will play with Alan, Steve & Chris once more.  It would be nice for Wake-E-Mon to join as well. Though I would defend YES to the death in a musical discussion, they have not done anything close to even the Tormato stuff you and I have been mentioning.  All JA  - YES has been some good stuff some bad, since the SLO reunion in 1996, so the odds of JA -YES delivering what we all want are slim.  Though I always keep the faith!Smile

Edited by dennismoore - February 09 2012 at 09:59
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 10:06
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Benoit David probably strained his voice trying to sing higher than his natural voice goes! Hope he recovers soon and we get another great Mystery album. IMO the last two Mystery albums were better than the last couple of Yes albums. Unless they decide to try and create something fresh they should quit.
Hi Wanorak,

Allow me to step in here and demand all of your Lupins(they are brightly coloured flowers in case you didn't know)
Oops.. sorry, old habits die hard...

My point of interjecting is:

I think Mystery - One Among The Living is fantastic!!!   A little too much reverb on the overall mix but it cranks up
on the stereo quite nicely, thank you.  Benoit's voice is very expressive on that record. I hope Mystery can follow that up . Plus, who doesn't like Canadians who can write and play the guitar???Thumbs Up

Cheers!

DM
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
raeloneq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 10:40
This is perfect chance for Chris Squire to recruit a awesome guitar player and make a side project called Cinema or something. Oh wait......
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 13:45
Jon Davison... omg, he's actually very similar to David, but even more cheesy. First I heard GH I thought David sings there... Nobody from them comes close to charismatic voice and typical contoure of Anderson voice, let alone his personality. Trevor Horn is different from Anderson, but he has these attributes - personality and charisma. These guys don't have. Glass Hammer is type of horrible Yes wannabe, at least their two last albums. They IMO totally lack sense for a melody, structure, compositional or lyrical talent. Random ideas, nothing memorable. Yes are alredy caricatures of themselves, but still pushing it further. Hoping Anderson-Rabin-Wakeman project will come out one day, to save the grace of Yes family.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Jon Davison... omg, he's actually very similar to David, but even more cheesy. First I heard GH I thought David sings there... Nobody from them comes close to charismatic voice and typical contoure of Anderson voice, let alone his personality. Trevor Horn is different from Anderson, but he has these attributes - personality and charisma. These guys don't have. Glass Hammer is type of horrible Yes wannabe, at least their two last albums. They IMO totally lack sense for a melody, structure, compositional or lyrical talent. Random ideas, nothing memorable. Yes are alredy caricatures of themselves, but still pushing it further. Hoping Anderson-Rabin-Wakeman project will come out one day, to save the grace of Yes family.
Hi stewe, Big smile

Are you really from the Czech Republic?  My grandparents came from there...
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 14:51
glass hammer is great for those who like retro.  as for a new yes album, it'll be hard to top FFH.  i really liked it and think it'll probably be their swan song...i hate to say it.
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 14:53
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Hi stewe, Big smile

Yes, beautiful country!) Do you know any Czech (Czech-slovakian) prog then?) 

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 09:25
Frankly, Glass Hammer makes a far better Yes than current Yes does.  They are not my favorite band, but they make decent music.

If Yes wanted to retire with dignity, they would have had to do it 10 years ago.  Now, it's far far too late for that.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 10:01
yeah, that tour in 02 when Wakeman came back was great.  got to see Revealing Science of God before they dropped it.  that could've been the end.  however, the tried to do the 35 year anniversary thing and ended up having to play arenas that were half full and part of them drapped off.  too bad.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 15:44

Do you know any Czech (Czech-slovakian) prog then?) 

I have a big Prague guide book.  If I ever win the lottery I will MOVE there!  I do want to go
see it one day, at least.  Perhaps Europe's most beautiful city, I say.

No, I have not heard any Czech Prog bands (I enjoyed Poland's Quidam, so I don't need music
sung in English...)

Can you suggest any? (no screamers please, I am not a big metal guy.)

Cheers!

DM

Edited by dennismoore - February 10 2012 at 15:45
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

I have a big Prague guide book.  If I ever win the lottery I will MOVE there!  I do want to go
see it one day, at least.  Perhaps Europe's most beautiful city, I say.

No, I have not heard any Czech Prog bands (I enjoyed Poland's Quidam, so I don't need music
sung in English...)

Can you suggest any? (no screamers please, I am not a big metal guy.)

Cheers!

DM

Sure! I would definitely suggest or rather strongly recommend two bands, both 70s classic prog albums,

Flamengo - Kure v hodinkach
Fermata - Huascaran

First band is quite in style of first KC (saxes, flute), Yes, Jethro Tull or early Uriah Heep (wonderful vocal stylings). Musicianship and compositions are that good. But they are not copycat by any means, album has  its unique atmosphere, contains some weird instruments, and beautiful Czech poetry.:)
Second band is Slovakian one, it represents top notch prog/fusion, sort of Mahavisnu Orchestra class, but with somehow distinguishing, slavic flavor. Very emotional, concept, instrumental album.

Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2012 at 23:42
Im in Australia and have been looking forward to the arrival of Yes in April. After hearing the news about the new singer I listened to Glass Hammer, and now I'm even more excited. Jon's better that Benoit.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 13:09
Originally posted by Quirky Turkey Quirky Turkey wrote:

Im in Australia and have been looking forward to the arrival of Yes in April. After hearing the news about the new singer I listened to Glass Hammer, and now I'm even more excited. Jon's better that Benoit.

I'm in complete agreement, M8!  

I'm a street-team member for Glass Hammer, this was just posted to their Facebook page:

(here's an extract)

Jon Davison, Glass Hammer & Yes

There was much debate last year among the cognoscenti of prog about Benoit David's role as the singer with Yes, particularly after the release of the much-awaited album, 'Fly From Here'.  David had been a touring member of the band for a few years, but this was his first recording with them, and most people thought that he had done a creditable job, though Jon Anderson will always be regarded by the purists as the only 'true' singer with Yes.

On tour with the rest of the new line-up of the band last year he handled the 'classic' material well, and showed that his years as a 'Yes tribute' vocalist had not been wasted. But then news came that the rigours of touring, and of singing consistently in the ranges that Yes's music calls for, had taken their toll. The last few dates of the European leg of the tour were called off, and subsequently it was announced that Benoit had left the band.

Edited by cstack3 - February 14 2012 at 13:10
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 13:30
Nice little blog, although I personally think he is being a little bit polite when he describes the live performance of David as "creditable".

I need to revisit Glass Hammer's work, but I have to say that I am becoming extremely tired of all of these comings & goings in Yes. It's more like Dallas & Dynasty than a classic prog band, if truth be told.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 13:40
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Nice little blog, although I personally think he is being a little bit polite when he describes the live performance of David as "creditable".

I need to revisit Glass Hammer's work, but I have to say that I am becoming extremely tired of all of these comings & goings in Yes. It's more like Dallas & Dynasty than a classic prog band, if truth be told.

Exactly!!  At this point, the founders should plan for the future and cultivate understudies, as great artists in opera and classical music used to do.  

They should treat Yes as an orchestra perhaps, I don't think any of the founders of the London Philharmonic are still in their original chairs!  

Squire, Howe, Anderson, White and Wakeman (assuming they could agree on anything) could select vocalists and instrumentalists, compose music, and not have to go through the drudgery of touring.  If they did it correctly, it would be spectacular!  Look how well Bob Fripp did with the King Crimson franchise, although he did also tour with the band.  

I'd LOVE to hear Yes with female vocals!  Annie Haslam's version of "Turn of the Century" with Steve Howe was sublime, I'd like more!  An Alto would not suffer the vocal strain that a counter-tenor would during all the touring & recording.  

If Yes don't watch it, they will rapidly slip into complete irrelevance and ridicule (close to that now, actually).   Cheers, my friend!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 19:10
Indeed, Yes should start looking for some more permanent "new blood", if any of them has ever taken seriously that thing about the "Yes Franchise". If every new member that enters the band leaves after one or two members, none of them will be consolidated within the band by the time the "classic" members are gone. Besides, they need to get people capable of creating new music up to the standards of the 70's classics. I guess Trevor Rabin has been the closest to fulfill this "requirements" I've just made up (he really became a driving force in the writing of the music, and even though it was not "prog masterpiece", it may be said that he at least created some "pop masterpieces with prog elements").
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 10:59
From Benoit David :-

Dear YES fans,
As you all know, the final three shows of last year's European tour
were cancelled due to my ill health. On my return to Canada, I was advised
to cease touring, for the foreseeable future, in order to avoid further
damage to my voice. Following this extremely disappointing diagnosis, I had no
alternative but to inform my fellow band members that I was unable to
confirm my availability for, at least, the forthcoming concerts in New
Zealand, Australia and Japan.
Although there was no alternative, I did so with a heavy heart as I
felt that I was letting everyone down especially those who have supported me since
I had the privilege of becoming the band's vocalist in 2008. The band
members were all very understanding and asked if I would mind being
replaced for the April shows - I immediately agreed that this would be
the best way forward and gave them my blessing. I was then pleased to
learn that Jon Davison would be my replacement as he is an accomplished
musician with a fine voice.
I subsequently learnt, from a band member's interview, that I had
officially left Yes and that my departure was permanent.
As this is the
situation, everyone should know that I will be eternally grateful for the
opportunity I was given and very proud to have contributed to more than 200 concerts
and to the 'Fly From Here' and 'In The Present Live From Lyon' albums. I
would also like to express my appreciation for the support I was given by
each member of the band, the fantastic crew, the management and everyone
else involved during my time as vocalist in the band. Finally, to the fans
who have applauded my efforts and to those I have had the pleasure of
meeting -
many thanks, my best wishes and please continue with your support of
one of the world's greatest bands - YES.
Although I need to take it easy for a while, I fully intend to
continue with my music career. In late summer of 2011, I added vocals to Mystery's
forthcoming album 'The World Is A Game' - which is at the final stages
of mixing and will be available in the near future. This is my third
collaboration with Michel St-Pere, and Mystery, following 2007's 'Beneath the Veil
of Winter's Face' and 2010's 'One Among The Living'.
So I guess I will, hopefully, see you somewhere down the road…

Blessings,
Benoit David
17th February 2012

Classy real classy

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 18 2012 at 11:01
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 11:08
Benoit has always been a class act, it's a shame that his time with Yes ended in such a way. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 12:54
Does Yes have a communication problem?  Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>