Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg used in the classroom!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog used in the classroom!
    Posted: February 20 2012 at 00:33
Yes friends if you had have been in my High school class today 
that I taught today for Music you may have enjoyed it more than usual. I introduced them to prog! Well, it was kind of a brutal expose of awesome rock spectacles. 

The lesson went like this:

The class were given worksheets with this info:

Rate the performance
rate the light show
rate the special effects
did you like the clip? why?
did you dislike the clip? why?
what did you learn about live performance with the clip?

etc etc etc

anyway these are the clips I used

DVD clips used: in music lesson 20th Feb 2012

A - Genesis - Live In Rome

2 songs - In the Cage and Cinema Show (on one clip)(played only 10 minutes)

Amazing light show and music!

B - Pink Floyd – Pulse

Played 2 songs - One of these days, (all) Incredible lights!

and Comfortably Numb (played from 3:40 – onto end - just the last 6 minutes of this) Brilliant!

C – Rush - Live in Rio (40,000 screaming fans!)

Working Man (all) amazing lead guitar form Lifeson!

Limelight – (all)

Live Snakes and Arrows (amazing song telling fans the stage is not all its cracked up to be)

during their Snakes & Arrows Tour. Recorded live at the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam, Netherlands
(Holland) on October 16/17, 2007... with the use of 21 high definition cameras. Complete with
dinosaurs, barbie dolls, and roast rotisserie chicken

at end of lesson:

Pink

Bohemian Rhapsody – Australia tour – amazing cover! PROG!

and

Get the Party started – pandemonium on stage!

Cool lesson - and my grade 10 students seemed to enjoy it - i think they were mesmirised by Pink Floyd and most girls liked Pink.

anyway has anyone else experienced prog in the classroom that a teacher was teaching?

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 20 2012 at 00:38
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 00:52
I once played The Enid before class started.  Most of the students thought it a bit much, and were not quite sure how to take it, but a few got into it.  Usually I play classical and sometimes jazz.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 01:20
^^^ yeah the students can think its a bit over the top. I was playing some Jon Hassell today to listen to at the beginning of the lesson and they werent impressed  altho they really liked Green Day 'Wake me when september ends'.. typical.

Anyway at least they saw some excellent live prog today. There papers did not have much info on them though so I may have to followup. 
arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 01:47
my old music teachers favourite band was Yes. anytime he brought them up i loved those classes
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 02:40
Yeah i was thinking of showing them Yes but those other bands seemed to be the better option given the task. Maybe Next time I might show them VDGG. Shocked
progprogprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 07:35
You play some GG and will see the class empty probably Disapprove
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 08:13
Next time go with something from Pain of Salvations BE DVD, should be interesting results. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 08:53
In 1977 I remember a documentary at school about Greece with Shine On You Crazy Diamond as soundtrack.
My English teacher in 1974 said that she was a Led Zeppelin groupie and a former girlfriend of Robert Plant. She used music to teach English and I remember mainly Queen, Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, so not properly prog.

On the other hand, I remember a course of Cultural Anthropology at the university with subject "Death in music" It was 1983 and you can imagine which kind of things the teacher played.... 

Now it's some years that I don't go to any school....
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 10:45
Well when I was in 10th grade I did a whole lesson about King Crimson (it was one of those "make a presentation about what the hell you want" lessons)- some liked them, most just didn't care :). 
There be dragons
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 12:19
In a communications class I took in college, we were assigned to play a piece of music for the class and lead a discussion on how the students responded to it.  I played a segment of The Gates of Delirium, the end of the battle section where Howe comes in on his pedal steel guitar.  I was not quite sure where the section began in terms of the physical lp, and I dropped the needle in the middle of White's preceding drum crescendo.  It would have been less jarring if I had not increased the volume.  That sure woke the class up!  The responses were varied of course.  Some dug it, some thought it weird, one student said it reminded her of renaissance music but I think that is because I was wearing a renaissance style cap.  The section did intrigue them though, and they all listened attentively.  At the time, early 80s, such sounds were not so exotic that most students were not completely familiar with it.  I got a good grade.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 14:52
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Yeah i was thinking of showing them Yes but those other bands seemed to be the better option given the task. Maybe Next time I might show them VDGG. Shocked

I had a chance to do this once, but only had a few examples on cassette, and this was a private affair to a group of "new age" folks, mostly because I had told them that "New Age" music had started way before then ... more like 25 years earlier with the advent of the synthesizer.

Both folks (that owned a New Age store) were not impressed, mostly because they needed to protect their investment and were concerned that things I said would take away from all the bruhaha's or the newland's or whatever other cheapie new age music they could make a buck out of.

My presentation consisted of Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Stomu Yamash'ta, Popol Vuh (specially!) and several others that had already shown a particular predilection to putting together very strong spiritual work.

It didn't work. They were too afflicted with their nose powders ... in the end, their crystals and anything  they sold was very cool new age stuff ... and anything else they did not know was not important or valid ... so seeing a video with Stomu Yamash'ta in a temple, or Kitaro, was not for them ... because they could not make money out of it.

It was at that time that I first heard the "progressive" thing being used in various this and that ... and while I thought it had more weight than the "new age" stuff, I really felt, and still do, that we have to be smarter, more academic, and specially better defined in order to have the "definition" stick. As it is right now, the definition "closes" the ability of anyone creating something new ... and the last thing we want to do is CLOSE the ability from spreading. Unffortunately, as you know, the history of music as stated in many books is about "periods" and "eras" and that would mean that "progressive" is over, and it's time is come and gone and today it will be called something else ... thus, I would like to spread the wings of the definition to make sure we can make a mark ... that is the way I see the music ... as it is right now, all I see is people fighting to sell one more CD and remember the hit ... not seeing people appreciate anything else is bad for the form. William Shakespeare is not the only playwright representative of his time and place, though he might be the best known of htem all!

Edited by moshkito - February 20 2012 at 14:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 14:59
Hi,

Btw .. I appplaud immensely you having done this ... a true treat and dimention that is missing in music schooling all over. I do recommend showing/alerting them to other music's with different concepts ... the newage/spiritual being one, jazz another since it is so different in style in America to Europe to Japan and then Brazil ... and so on, because in the end, there is no greater teacher of music and its appreciation.

Hardest than anything, is the mix of east and west ... and where influences come and go. For example, Brazil had a massive influence of Japanese folks in the 60's and they brought music and what not ... and conversely, guess what ... it was kinda funny when I was listening to Sadistic Mika Band doing Brazilian rhythms all over the place, up to and including several solo albums by their members. That kind of influence was massive in Africa ... and think about CAN using Rebop and then he being with Traffic ... and you can get an even bigger idea of how influences come and go.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 15:18
Teachers in Britain are too frightful not to stick to the curriculum, which, it goes without saying, contains no prog. It barely contains any music. Until you get to A Levels (16-18).

Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 15:28
I had a history teacher that used Iron Maiden to teach us about Alexander the Great. He was an awesome teacher, played a lot of Rush as well which was my favorite band at the time.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 16:04
I can remember an English lesson in which Cygnus X-1 was played and the lyrics were discussed. I cannot remember what was said then (it was some 30 years ago), but I remember that this teacher had the habit to spend a small hour on the lyrics of a rock song every now and then.
(Actually, I was the one who proposed Cygnus X-1 and/or Hemispheres)

Edited by someone_else - February 20 2012 at 16:05
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 16:39
I've had a few experiences with this, and most of them were my doing.
In humanities class we were studying the Book of Kells and Celtic Christianity and I got my teacher, who's an Iona fan, to play "Kells" during class.  The response was generally accepting, but there were a couple people who hated it.
When we studied reggae in my World Music class, I convinced my teacher to play the reggae intro to Working Man on the Time Machine Tour, and everybody groaned because they were all tired of my Rush obsession Big smile
Then when we were talking about the Inferno in Literature class, my teacher let me play part of the Ferryman by maudlin of the Well (which was based off the Inferno) and everyone hated it Cry
My music teacher actually told me she might let me teach a class on prog next year, which would be awesome.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2012 at 17:03
I have used prog as background music during practical work both at university and in schools.

I find it helps concentration as they listen to the music rather than talk aimlessly.

Opeth, Camel, Rush and Steve Hackett are generally very popular.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
progtapper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 04:30
I'm a schoolteacher in Belgium and I work with physically handicapped pupils with the age between 9 and 13 years old. I teach a lot of different classes but I also teach them music.
The last few years I used prog twice.

One day they we were learning about our solar system and the planets.
In my music lessons I used the classical music of Gustav Holst 'The Planets'.
I'm a big Manfred Mann's Earth Band fan so it was easy for me to make the connection.
MMEB used the music of 'The Planets' on two of his (1973  'Solar Fire' and 1987 'Masque') abums.
They loved to recognise the prog in the classical music and vice versa.
I also aked them them wich version of 'Joybringer' (From Jupiter) they liked the most.
Don't worry! They all chose for the old single version of 1973. LOL
I was surprised by that because the newer verion sounds more modern to me.    
(I like the 'Masque' album a lot and I prefer the newer version. Shocked LOL But hey, it was not the first time they disagreed with me!)

The second time they were learning about volcanos.
So I translated 'Dance On A Volcano' of the album 'A Trick Of The Tail' of Genesis.
Surprise, surprise! They liked the lyrics and they thought the song was really fun.

We had a lot af fun with these lessons and this post reminds me to do it again.
Thanx!
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 09:32
In an English class my sophomore year of high school, we read and discussed Ayn Rand's Anthem. I brought to my teacher's attention the two Rush songs that are deliberately about Rand's philosophy and works, Anthem and 2112. With her permission, I got to play Anthem in class. That was fun! :)
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 15:07
I had an English teacher play "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden and print out the lyrics for the class, as we were studying Coolridge's epic poem that inspired it. Later, when we studied his "Kubla Khan", I brought in "Xanadu" ... she didn't play it! Later, I did a presentation on Prog Rock 1971 for my music tech class. I used colorful images and it was well received I got a good grade.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>