FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest of Scott Walker playlist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best of Scott Walker playlist
    Posted: March 11 2012 at 03:40
I'm not a big fan of Scott Walker, nor do I think I'm a small fan of his. However, I do really like quite a few of his songs or just, at least, songs that he sung.

This is his playlist of my favorites (not listed in any particular order 'cause it doesn't need any LOLBig smile):

EDIT - Latest update:

Alone
Jackie
The World's Strongest Man
Make It Easy On Yourself
Too Young
Big Louise
Such A Small Love
My Death
Tilt
Farmer in the City
Cossacks Are
Psoriatic

If you happen to be one of those loonies who likes Scott, please share your opinion.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 20 2013 at 04:36
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 18:03
Hm... I like him but not love him, he can be emotionally straining if not listened to at the right time,
but he's got  a great voice. Right now I only have the "No Regrets"-Compilation left in my collection,
so apart from one track that never left my memory the songs all come from that one:

No regrets
If you go away
Track ( ? used to own "Climate of Hunter" but can't remember the number, it starts with the line "Delayed in the headlong" ! )
Montague Terrace in Blue
&
Make it easy on yourself

...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 02:46
Originally posted by rupert rupert wrote:

Hm... I like him but not love him, he can be emotionally straining if not listened to at the right time,
but he's got  a great voice. Right now I only have the "No Regrets"-Compilation left in my collection,
so apart from one track that never left my memory the songs all come from that one:

No regrets
If you go away
Track ( ? used to own "Climate of Hunter" but can't remember the number, it starts with the line "Delayed in the headlong" ! )
Montague Terrace in Blue
&
Make it easy on yourself

Never heard any of these. That's weird. Thanks, I'll check them out.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2012 at 05:39
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I'm not a big fan of Scott Walker, nor do I think I'm a small fan of his. However, I do really like quite a few of his songs or just, at least, songs that he sung.

This is his playlist of my favorites (not listed in any particular order 'cause it doesn't need any LOLBig smile):

Alone
Jackie
The World's Strongest Man
Make It Easy On Yourself
Too Young

If you happen to be one of those loonies who likes Scott, please share your opinion.

At last a discussion on Scott Walker, I always admired THAT voice. Have only recently got into him .i.e. in 2010. I have now collected almost everything he has released including all his Walker Brothers releases apart from two 70s LPs that have no been put on CD.

He is just about the only successful commercial artist that sold in (!).....yes he went the other way and made recordings that are so on the edge of music that they are beyond classification.

Of his albums, 1969's Scott 4 is a masterpiece. Of his Avante garde albums, Tilt from 1996 is the one to get. Often been stated as the first album of the 21st century...not OK Computer.

His best pre-art period song?....The Old Man's back again from Scott 4.......listen to the bass lines.....Walker is also a fine bass player.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 05:35
This says it all........absolute genius

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 05:11
Oh and this "Such A Small Love" from the 1967 album Scott.

Goosebumps all round. Check the orchestration and obviously the voice.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 05:27
Then there is this; "Farmer in The City" from his1995 album "Tilt".

Now we are starting to get alternative.

But it gets even more alternative (read "weirder") on his 2006 album "The Drift".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 05:44
To prove how weird it gets here is "Cossacks Are" from "The Drift".

So there you go. From commercial pop to indescribable music in 4 decades.

Frightening stuff. But exciting in the same breath.

I hope a number of you out there in PA land will get hooked.

BTW he should be on PA for his last 3 albums, which incidentally are spread over the last 28 years!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 13:03
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

So there you go. From commercial pop to indescribable music in 4 decades.

Frightening stuff. But exciting in the same breath.

I hope a number of you out there in PA land will get hooked.

BTW he should be on PA for his last 3 albums, which incidentally are spread over the last 28 years!

I do not think any of the teams will consider that kind of request seriously. I mean, he sounds a lot like art-rock, but not prog.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 13:31

Of his albums, 1969's Scott 4 is a masterpiece.

Although I agree, I might prefer Scott 3. Copenhagen, Sons of and the one posted underneath are my favorites:

I do not think any of the teams will consider that kind of request seriously. I mean, he sounds a lot like art-rock, but not prog.

Because of Climate of the Hunter, Tilt and Drift (all worth checking out) he'd fit nicely in Avant Prog
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 13:36
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Of his albums, 1969's Scott 4 is a masterpiece.

Although I agree, I might prefer Scott 3. Copenhagen, Sons of and the one posted underneath are my favorites:

Because of Climate of the Hunter, Tilt and Drift (all worth checking out) he'd fit nicely in Avant Prog

YouTube is doing such a poor job finding some tracks off of Climate of Hunter. Could you please send some links for the proggy tracks on those three albums so that the teams could take a look at them?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 17 2012 at 13:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 04:25
He's been suggested and rejected before, I think. I disagree with the decision though. I only have Climate of the Hunter on vinyl.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 08:49
I'm 'interested' in learnign more about Scott Walker. There are Walker Bros tunes I really like, but I understand Scott Walkers stuff can be quite 'challenging' Being a prog fan this naturally gets my attention.

Where do I start? Can someone recommend a Scott Walker album for me. Soemthing that blends beauty with insanity might be good.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 09:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'm 'interested' in learnign more about Scott Walker. There are Walker Bros tunes I really like, but I understand Scott Walkers stuff can be quite 'challenging' Being a prog fan this naturally gets my attention.

Where do I start? Can someone recommend a Scott Walker album for me. Soemthing that blends beauty with insanity might be good.

I presume you've read the recommendations above, so I will remain silent.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 09:47

Yes, and I've read reviews on Amazon, but I can't watch clips, or play audio until I get home from work.

Albums like Tilt and The drift really seem to polarise opinion.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 21:18

Yes, and I've read reviews on Amazon, but I can't watch clips, or play audio until I get home from work.

Albums like Tilt and The drift really seem to polarise opinion.

I think at this point we can really forget about inducting Scott 'cause one end of his career is pop and, mostly, ripping off Jacques Brel, the other end is triggered with ripping off the dark side of Peter Gabriel on Melt.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 06:19

I think at this point we can really forget about inducting Scott 'cause one end of his career is pop and, mostly, ripping off Jacques Brel, the other end is triggered with ripping off the dark side of Peter Gabriel on Melt.

If you don't have a clue your opinion is worthless, and you end up looking stupid. So the wisest thing would be to wait to form an opinion until after you know what you're talking about.

^That is really good advice for you. Its useful even outside the PA.
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:47

I think that's more than just a bit unfair, sorry, and I am not that a big Walker-Fan.
Ripping of Jaqcues Brel just by doing very good & emotional cover-versions of his songs ?
No. Scott has a unique and very different voice - and is capable of writing extraordinary songs.
He also doesn't ripp off Peter Gabriel imo. His output ( since "Climate" ), like it or not, has been a distinctive artistic attempt at creating something new. Luckily he doesn't care about accusations like that -
as he doesn't care about sales-figures. He's an artist - a genuine one.
The least thing he deserves is respect.

Greets

Roop
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:14
Originally posted by rupert rupert wrote:

I think that's more than just a bit unfair, sorry, and I am not that a big Walker-Fan.
Ripping of Jaqcues Brel just by doing very good & emotional cover-versions of his songs ?
No. Scott has a unique and very different voice - and is capable of writing extraordinary songs.
He also doesn't ripp off Peter Gabriel imo. His output ( since "Climate" ), like it or not, has been a distinctive artistic attempt at creating something new. Luckily he doesn't care about accusations like that -
as he doesn't care about sales-figures. He's an artist - a genuine one.
The least thing he deserves is respect.

Greets

Roop

I have respect for him. He just reminds me of PG a lot on tracks like "Cossacks Are." And just because I stated that he was copying Jacques Brel doesn't mean I think he did bad. I really like "Alone", for instance.

Also, I sincerely apologize for not being very specific when I was using the word "end". I just meant the spooky stuff on his later records. I do think Scott has an edge of his own on those records, where he uses those weird instruments for percussion.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 20 2012 at 16:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:21
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

If you don't have a clue your opinion is worthless, and you end up looking stupid. So the wisest thing would be to wait to form an opinion until after you know what you're talking about.

^That is really good advice for you. Its useful even outside the PA.

It was not originally my idea to put Scott up for PA. I just wanted to help another fellow member, namely you, with the suggestion.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 20 2012 at 16:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>