Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRick Wakeman appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 14:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Criminal Record remains to this day one of my favourite albums.

When he is good, he is excellent, although, by his own admission, some of his stuff was to pay off the bank and ex-wives and total dross.

1984? LOL

Indeed!Tongue
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Criminal Record remains to this day one of my favourite albums.

When he is good, he is excellent, although, by his own admission, some of his stuff was to pay off the bank and ex-wives and total dross.

Hola Chico de Miko, Tongue       Wink

Criminal Record to me, is priceless.  Big smile

On a serious note:  Laz is an example as why I as an American genuinley am happy that we have Brits here in this forum,
that is to teach me words I have never heard before, such as:

"dross"   I had to google that...

dross - British - coal of little value.

Exactly, some of Wakeman's records, like "I'm so straight I'm a weirdo" from Rock N' Roll Prophet are pure dross.  I actually bought that garbage LP record when it came out and 30 years later I still can not believe he would publish such mierda.(Spanish, kiddies...)  Angry   Ouch    Unhappy

And to think, we gave the world a language to be forgotten and abusedLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 15:12

I prefer to think that we Yanks have "fine-tuned" the King's English a bit.Wink
And no, nothing we American's have done has come close to the complete trashing of English
that your own "Cockney" subculture has done!

At least we Americans got rid of all those "Ye and Thou" silly words. Big smile

Oh, about Rick:

I don't think 1984 is that bad. If you drop the songs with vocals, and you splice together all the instrumentals from 1984,
you have around 18 minutes of pure Wakeman classical & Orchestral magic!  Tongue   Smile
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 15:59
I put in an order for a used copy of that at half.com.  Many days passed before it arrived and I was about to report it.  It came from somewhere in Russia.  Had some pretty cool stamps on it and was wrapped in old typing paper with Cryllic typing on it.  I think it was a pirate copy.  Anyway, for all of that it was really disappointing musically. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 16:04

I put in an order for a used copy of that at half.com.  Many days passed before it arrived and I was about to report it.  It came from somewhere in Russia.  Had some pretty cool stamps on it and was wrapped in old typing paper with Cryllic typing on it.  I think it was a pirate copy.  Anyway, for all of that it was really disappointing musically. LOL

Aw, we are sorry Big smile .
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 17:17
By the way Shock A Con also puts in an appearance on the recent Return To Forever, sorry Chaka, you are no Flora or fauna...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 21:43
My very favourite albums from him are 6 Wives and Arthur, and for me they are some of the very best prog albums. Arthur may just as well be the album guilty of getting me into prog. I first heard it because a friend from High School lent me a cassette copy of it, she said it was just their at her house (from her parents, I guess). I copied it, and was rather intrigued by it... of course I had now idea what it was, nor who Rick Wakeman was, nor what prog was, and it was all rather weird and old fashioned, and had all this ridiculous "humorous" bits or whatever, but still I was intrigued, and came back to it some times. Of course, later I discovered Wakeman wasn't the singer, but the keyboard player, and he was considered among the best keyboard player in rock (and prog), and he was famous for being in the band "Yes"... well then I thought Yes was a mediocre little known band, perhaps just a one hit wonder with "Owner of a Lonely Heart"... but whatever. Still, now Arthur is among my favourite albums, and I no longer can hearr that "old fashioned" thing that bother me, though I still can't get into the "Chaplin-like" part on the middle of Merlin... but the rest of the album is sublime, and the title song is among my favourite prog songs. Six Wives is also a perfect album for me... a survivor poll for this album would be some kind of Hell for me... just no way I could choose any song below (or above) any other, they are all great.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 21:49
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I had "6 Wives" and "Criminal Record" as a teen and loved them...it took me a while to warm to his other stuff, but I like it now.   I guess when you develop a more classical direction than rock, like I have overthe years, you sometimes appreciate the cleaner more classically-based prog, and his stuff is rightthere for that kind of music.   The lyrics and singing are also usually very good.

I also like Criminal Record a lot. I find it very similar to 6 wives, specially the first 3 songs... plus they are almost some Yes songs (with Squire and White performing on them). Judas Iscariot is also an awsome piece of music, with the Church organ thing, and the choirs... really amazing (though perhaps a tiny bit overlong for it's own good). The Breathalizer is the one song I don't like at all on this album, and it's the main reason I don't consider it at the same level as 6 wives. I was lucky enough to get this album (as a matter of fact, a store at my city was able to find it for me), though weirdly enough, it was recorded with "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" in the same CD (as a duo album), which I already had... however, I still think it would have made more sense if it had been paired with 6 wives instead of Journey.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 21:57
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think I appreciate him more as a personality than a musician. He went through a distinctly weird phase around about 1980 when his personal problems (booze) seemed to overtake him. I remember him saying he was bankrupt but couldn't understand why ( I guess the 7 Rollers he purchased might have had something to do with it). What I really like about Rick is that he's a proper bloke. Enjoys his currys and the ermm aforementioned booze. Likes to moan about the government and stuff. He is also a commited Christian which even makes him a bit enigmatic.

Over the years I've collected various CD's and DVD's (you virtually can't avoid bumping into them there are so many) and seen him live (solo, with Yes and also the stand up routine). Great fun really.

The albums I like the most are 6 Wives , Criminal Record and King Arthur. All of those rank alongside the best keyboard based prog albums ever made. I have also given positive reviews to the Retro albums whihc have been unfairly overlooked/dismissed by many fans. OK they have Mr Holt 'singing' on them but there is much to enjoy depsite that. I also love the recent Six Wives DVD.

Overall I feel that Rick could have achieved a lot more than he has. Too many medicore releases would be a kind way of putting it. Those few gems make it for it though.

I don't know. I think Rick achieved enough as a keyboardist in his lifetime. He has his own classic solos. How far can he really get? Give the man a break Big smile (my actual smile is more genuine than that one) .

Those three are also my favourite Wakeman albums... perhaps I could throw in Journey and Out There too. I also liked the Retro albums quiet a bit, though not as good as the other albums mentioned, I think Wakeman proved he still has the prog flame burning brightly, and there are some wonderful prog songs in both albums, specially "Just another Day" and "The Temple of Life" (along with "Cathedral in the Sky", from Out There) are among my favourite prog songs from the last decade, as good as anything from the 70's. Oh, and "The Temple of Life" features Jemma Wakeman on lead vocals, his doughter, who did a very fine job at singing here. All in all, perhaps if Wakeman had made only one "Retro" album, with the best songs from both, he might have achieved another 5 star masterpiece.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 22:18
Great thread!  Few give Rick the credit for being the first electronic keyboardist to stack up lots of keyboards in the studio & onstage, back in the days when most prog & rock keyboardists seemed to be stuck with only Hammond organ with a Mini-Moog plopped on top!   

When I first saw Rick on the CTTE tour, I couldn't believe how he could fluidly play two sets of keys, one in front & one behind!  (only later did I realize that this was classical English church pipe-organ technique).  

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 22:24
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Tha man himself at a very rainy Cropredy Festival 2 years ago:

Played a stunning 90 minute set & despite the bulldog-chewing-a-wasp expression on the lady in the foreground, he went down a storm (appropriate for the weekend's weather that year), especially when he encored with Starship Trooper.

Most recently saw him on the duet tour with Jon Anderson last year; plenty of banter between the two, some great music (plus some reallllly banal ballads...), overall a great evening.

I'm afraid I have missed many concerts I would have liked to see, many of which because I discovered the bands a bit (or not so bit) too late. But at least I'm grateful enough that I was able to go to Wakeman's performance of 6 Wives at Hampton Court, with orchestra and all (and that's the CD version I have of that concert, for they recorded it and sold it after the show... with great sound quality I may add). It was particularly great for me that I was able to attend to that concert, considering that I live in Mexico, and was able to schedule some holidays I had planned to Europe on the date of the concert so I could attend

I really love that concert, by the way. It may be the best concert experience I have attended along with Waters' "The Wall".
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 22:50

Yaaaehhh Rick Wakeman!!!Thanks to him I was into prog before I got really into prog.  The culprits:Journey & King Arthur (edit...)I got the LPs through Columbia Record House club.  Gatefold covers and LP size booklets!!!Big smile

Dear Slartibartfast,

Your taste in music is exceptional, now if you will please resize your avatar to more of a vertical rectangle to show off

more of that great tuxedo you are wearing....Big smile    The way you have it cropped as a square dosen't do the original justice.Wink

Just out of curiosity:

What do you think of No Earthly Connection?

Even though that last question was not directed at me, here I go. I was actually a bit dissapointed with "No Earthly Connection". I already knew "The Prisoner" before (which I like a lot), and some live bits, but when I got the album, I found it sort of patchy. There were lots of great musical ideas, but I feel they were not fully developed nor properly organized throughout the "epic" centerpiece of the album. I liked much better the "shortened" version on the live album "Out of the Blue"... that one has all the best bits from the epic, and I may say better organized (even though I would have prefered if that live version had included "The Realization" at the end, instead of "The Prisoner"). I'm also looking forward to getting the live BBC recordings from Rick, which include concerts from Earthly Connection era, and I'm hoping it will include better organized versions from those songs.

Oh, and my version of "No Earthly Connection" came coupled with "Cost of Living", which was, well, listenable. Not on par with his best work, but from time to time it may be enjoyable.

Edited by Dellinger - March 16 2012 at 22:52
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 22:54

I prefer to think that we Yanks have "fine-tuned" the King's English a bit.Wink

And no, nothing we American's have done has come close to the complete trashing of English

that your own "Cockney" subculture has done!

At least we Americans got rid of all those "Ye and Thou" silly words. Big smile

Oh, about Rick:

I don't think 1984 is that bad. If you drop the songs with vocals, and you splice together all the instrumentals from 1984,

you have around 18 minutes of pure Wakeman classical & Orchestral magic!  Tongue   Smile

I didn't think 1984 was so bad an album either. Even some of the vocal songs are pretty decent... but still his 70's touch was gone (for the moment).
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 23:36
I found this quote on the YouTube Arthur post:

"Like Wagner, this is a perfect marriage of sound and subject matter. If your subject matter is sex and drugs and teenage rebellion, you probably want some edgy, punky sound. You do not, however, take on a subject like Arthur without expressing grandeur in the music. This is why some people find the music of Wakeman or countless other progressive rock acts overblown."

manlyduckling 11 months ago

Thought that was pretty apt.  That old "greasy spoon" aesthetic used to try to make proggers feel

guilty for not sounding like Lou Reed and singing songs about "real life," which always had to be

about something depressing.  But I think this Manly Duckling really speaks truth to the old debate

about the value of prog.

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 03:17

I think I appreciate him more as a personality than a musician. He went through a distinctly weird phase around about 1980 when his personal problems (booze) seemed to overtake him. I remember him saying he was bankrupt but couldn't understand why ( I guess the 7 Rollers he purchased might have had something to do with it). What I really like about Rick is that he's a proper bloke. Enjoys his currys and the ermm aforementioned booze. Likes to moan about the government and stuff. He is also a commited Christian which even makes him a bit enigmatic.

Over the years I've collected various CD's and DVD's (you virtually can't avoid bumping into them there are so many) and seen him live (solo, with Yes and also the stand up routine). Great fun really.

The albums I like the most are 6 Wives , Criminal Record and King Arthur. All of those rank alongside the best keyboard based prog albums ever made. I have also given positive reviews to the Retro albums whihc have been unfairly overlooked/dismissed by many fans. OK they have Mr Holt 'singing' on them but there is much to enjoy depsite that. I also love the recent Six Wives DVD.

Overall I feel that Rick could have achieved a lot more than he has. Too many medicore releases would be a kind way of putting it. Those few gems make it for it though.

I don't know. I think Rick achieved enough as a keyboardist in his lifetime. He has his own classic solos. How far can he really get? Give the man a break Big smile (my actual smile is more genuine than that one) .
A little unfair as I was only lamenting that he hadn't done more with his wonderful God given talent. I think he has been derailed with ex wife issues and booze. I also gave positive reviews of both Retro albums so I think I have have given the man more of a break than manyWink
What I do respect about Rick and also Steve Hackett a few others is that he didn't just rely on Yes(or Genesis in Steve's case) as some sort of pension plan and struck out on his own and was succesfull at it. Just that hundred odd albums later only a small handfull are actually that good of the ones I've heard and judging by the comments so far on this thread once you get past Six Wives, Journey, White Rock, Criminal Record and Arthur there isn't a lot else to get excited about.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 03:39

A little unfair as I was only lamenting that he hadn't done more with his wonderful God given talent. I think he has been derailed with ex wife issues and booze. I also gave positive reviews of both Retro albums so I think I have have given the man more of a break than manyWink
What I do respect about Rick and also Steve Hackett a few others is that he didn't just rely on Yes(or Genesis in Steve's case) as some sort of pension plan and struck out on his own and was succesfull at it. Just that hundred odd albums later only a small handfull are actually that good of the ones I've heard and judging by the comments so far on this thread once you get past Six Wives, Journey, White Rock, Criminal Record and Arthur there isn't a lot else to get excited about.

No offense, but if I were you, I would try not to use words like 'fair' and 'unfair' because, after all, Rick is a human being who is in charge of his own life and music and does not have to feel indebted to his fanbase.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 04:32

No offense, but if I were you, I would try not to use words like 'fair' and 'unfair' because, after all, Rick is a human being who is in charge of his own life and music and does not have to feel indebted to his fanbase.

If you are a musician making a living off of music then you do have a certain obligation to your fanbase to make good music.  But musicians have their hits and misses.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  No guts, no glory.  Rick is one of those prolific guys who is all over the place.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 10:26

Ouch
I am not offended just now extremely annoyed at you and your condascending attitude . As far as Rick goes he can do what he likes and makes a hundred more albums and I can choose not to buy them.
Just exactly what is your point?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 10:39

I agree.
My favorite Rick Wakeman albums are: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth and Criminal Record.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 11:52

Ouch
I am not offended just now extremely annoyed at you and your condascending attitude . As far as Rick goes he can do what he likes and makes a hundred more albums and I can choose not to buy them.
Just exactly what is your point?

I do not know how you got the impression of my condescending attitude, but if so, then I sincerely apologize. You are right, you can choose what album to buy or not to buy, but I just don't like the idea of zapping Rick on this. I'm just very new to this kind of topic and has only developed a perspective. Everyone makes mistakes at some point or another.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 17 2012 at 11:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>