Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRick Wakeman appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 12:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

My very favourite albums from him are 6 Wives and Arthur, and for me they are some of the very best prog albums. Arthur may just as well be the album guilty of getting me into prog. I first heard it because a friend from High School.

Unbelievable, my friend. Smile    The same exact thing happened to me, but some years back.

King Arthur got me into Prog.  I had a music appreciation class in High School, 1st year.  The teacher played
a bunch of rock from that period and most of Wakeman's King Arthur.  I was fascinated from that moment on,
and the rest was history.

I do think that Arthur & Journey are masterpieces and will be exciting people young & old for as long as we have a civilized society.

I am looking forward to being 80 years old and inviting neighborhood kids over and blasting King Arthur
on my stereo for them!

Big smile

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

My very favourite albums from him are 6 Wives and Arthur, and for me they are some of the very best prog albums. Arthur may just as well be the album guilty of getting me into prog. I first heard it because a friend from High School.
Unbelievable, my friend. Smile    The same exact thing happened to me, but some years back.King Arthur got me into Prog.  I had a music appreciation class in High School, 1st year.  The teacher playeda bunch of rock from that period and most of Wakeman's King Arthur.  I was fascinated from that moment on,and the rest was history.I do think that Arthur & Journey are masterpieces and will be exciting people young & old for as long as we have a civilized society.I am looking forward to being 80 years old and inviting neighborhood kids over and blasting King Arthuron my stereo for them!Big smile

I do like Journey very much too, but I think Arthur is better. There are some very good moments on Journey, but I feel it's a bit patchy, and some ideas were repeated (some passages appear almos exactly the same twice), there's too much of a narrator in the middle of the songs... and well, the two, or four, big songs could have been divided more succesfully into shorter songs... but then, I guess Wakeman was going for a "single musical piece" experience, and didn't bother so much on the way it was divided.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 04:05
Played King Arthur yesterday. Great synth solos and lots of goosebump moments.Not sure about some of the drumming though.Wink
Journey is one that never could warm to for some reason but I havn't heard it for a long time.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 11:10
Check out the CD or DVD "Out There."

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 00:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Played King Arthur yesterday. Great synth solos and lots of goosebump moments.Not sure about some of the drumming though.Wink
Journey is one that never could warm to for some reason but I havn't heard it for a long time.

Gary Pickford-Hopkins from the band Wild Turkey was a rather odd choice for vocalist!  He was fantastic in WT, but I thought he weakened Journey.  

Been listening to TFTO remaster quite a bit lately, Rick did some remarkable things on that, considering how hostile he was to the whole effort!  

If he had fully signed onto Tales, oh my.....
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 07:06
I can't give the King total credit for getting me into prog, but it was, uh, instrumental.LOL

The vocals didn't put me off at all.  Anyone else find the Return Journey as disappointing as I did? 

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 19 2012 at 07:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 10:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I can't give the King total credit for getting me into prog, but it was, uh, instrumental.LOL

The vocals didn't put me off at all.  Anyone else find the Return Journey as disappointing as I did? 

Count me in.

I find "Return" unlistenable mostly due to the lifeless, too loud, mechanical, overly processed drumming.  Straight 4/4 drumming with the snare always on the beat and mixed up too loud ruins music for me.  I did really enjoy The Dance of 1000 Lights though.  I am not a fan of Trevor Rabin as he overproduces and commercializes songs.  I think Rick made a fatal error picking Trevor.  I think the magic of Journey & Henry VIII & Arthur was due to the collarobarative effort of all instruments. Those records had great blanace among bass, guitar, vocals & drums.  The perfect foundation to showcase
all of Rick's keyboard wizardry.

Someone said he didn't like the drumming in King Arthur.  I LOVE the drumming in King Arthur.  I love all the in between the beat tom tom fills and progressive beats that were NOT straight 4/4 mixed way too loud like some pop rock song.
The drumming in King Arthur & Journey is what was lacking from "Return" as well as Trevor's overly-sanitised & produced songs.  Just my $.02.

Smile

P.S.  Hey Slarti, how do you like my new avatar?  I got tired of waiting for you to add a full length version in yours.Wink

Edited by dennismoore - March 19 2012 at 11:24
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 10:46
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Gary Pickford-Hopkins from the band Wild Turkey was a rather odd choice for vocalist!  He was fantastic in WT, but I thought he weakened Journey.  

WTF Chuck???

First, nice chatting with you again.Big smile

Second:  The drums on King Arthur are one of that record's strongest assets.  Tongue (IMHO)

Thrid: "Journey" is a true masterpiece!  What is it?  Does the female chorale put you off?

Fourth: Gary Pickford-Hopkins delicate voice was a perfect compliment to Ashley Holt's strong & gruffy voice.
I always thought that pair were perfect.  I thought No Earthly Connection missed that balance.

Boy do you and me have issues to settle!Wink

Edited by dennismoore - March 19 2012 at 10:51
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 11:11
I still haven't made a connection with that album.  Hey why do I get the feeling my identity has been stolen? LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 11:28

I still haven't made a connection with that album.  Hey why do I get the feeling my identity has been stolen? LOL

Uh, wait until you get the call from your accountant & credit card company.Wink

Haven't connected with "Return..."  Why didn't you like it?

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 11:29

Something crazy has happened
Gonzo Daily View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 14:31
On the Gonzo Blog this fine spring afternoon, a repost of a review of the fine new album by Yes stalwarts Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman.
http://gonzo-multimedia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/andersonwakeman-repost-living-tree-in.html
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 17:25

Uh, wait until you get the call from your accountant & credit card company.Wink

Haven't connected with "Return..."  Why didn't you like it?

I never got a copy of it so I don't know if I'd like or not. LOL I think it's still out of print.  Nix that it is available as an import, I'm just broke. LOL

Yeah, I hate to say but my identity isn't worth squat these days and you may just lose money on it.

I just noticed the white bits at the bottom kind of look like genitals.  You should make them pink. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 19 2012 at 17:45

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 21:12

I never got a copy of it so I don't know if I'd like or not. LOL I think it's still out of print.  Nix that it is available as an import, I'm just broke. LOL

You aren't missing much, "Return...." is full of over-processed straight 4/4 commercial songs.  Too bad really.

Actually I think the bottom part clearly shows the two feet, nothing more.  Man do you have a dirty mind.LOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:47

I can't give the King total credit for getting me into prog, but it was, uh, instrumental.LOLThe vocals didn't put me off at all.  Anyone else find the Return Journey as disappointing as I did? 

Count me in.

I find "Return" unlistenable mostly due to the lifeless, too loud, mechanical, overly processed drumming.  Straight 4/4 drumming with the snare always on the beat and mixed up too loud ruins music for me.  I did really enjoy The Dance of 1000 Lights though.  I am not a fan of Trevor Rabin as he overproduces and commercializes songs.  I think Rick made a fatal error picking Trevor.  I think the magic of Journey & Henry VIII & Arthur was due to the collarobarative effort of all instruments. Those records had great blanace among bass, guitar, vocals & drums.  The perfect foundation to showcase

all of Rick's keyboard wizardry.

Someone said he didn't like the drumming in King Arthur.  I LOVE the drumming in King Arthur.  I love all the in between the beat tom tom fills and progressive beats that were NOT straight 4/4 mixed way too loud like some pop rock song.

The drumming in King Arthur & Journey is what was lacking from "Return" as well as Trevor's overly-sanitised & produced songs.  Just my $.02.

Smile

P.S.  Hey Slarti, how do you like my new avatar?  I got tired of waiting for you to add a full length version in yours.Wink

As a matter of fact, I did find Return to the Center of the Earth very OK. Not as great as the original, but it still had it's moments, specially the overture and the end. And The Kill was pretty cool too. I also somewhat liked "Buried Alive" and "Never is a long, long time"; however, you may be interested in the version of "Buried Alive" from the live album "Out of the Blue"... as a matter of fact that album is very good, or the DVD "Live in Argentina" (or Buenos Aires... I don't remember), which is taken from the same concerts, but doesn't have exactly the same setlist... as a matter of fact, "Out of the Blue" includes a killer (if shortende) version of "No Earthly Connection".
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 22:51
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Check out the CD or DVD "Out There."

Indeed, on of my favourites, and that album (along with the Retro ones) showed that Rick could still prog on the last decade. I hope he may still give us a few surprises this decade.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 00:48
Wakeman is responsible for bringing me into Prog, and I like many of his albums:

1. Myths & Legends
  2. Six Wives
  3. Journey
  4. Criminal Record
  5. Return to the Centre of the Earth
  6. No Earthly Connection
  7. Softsword
  8. 1984
  9. Stella Bianca alla Corte de Re Ferdinando
  10. Black Knights at the Court of Ferdinand IV
Iván

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 04:23
Of all the members of Yes who embarked on solo projects, Wakeman's early work set a level of expectation that he couldn't possibly hope to sustain: Six Wives, King Arthur and No Earthly Connection are all brilliantly executed slices of bombastic, over the top, flamboyant top grade cheese in my estimation and I love 'em to bits (whereas I've never cared for either Journey or Lisztomania) Thereafter alas, he degenerated into fondant new age piano drivel or brazen exploitation to get credulous Yes fans to empty their pockets for freshly minted 'rare obscurities'
Brilliant keyboard player, brilliant arranger, funny guy and crassly fleecing oink all rolled into one.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 06:57
For me personally, Wakeman for synth, Emerson for piano, Ritchie for Hammond.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 07:57
So how many people do we have so far that credit something from Rick's solo work for getting them into prog?  I think we're up to four.  No surprise really as his first solo efforts were concept albums and that is almost a defining feature of prog.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2012 at 07:57

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>