Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latin American Prog WC: Factor Burzaco- Climax
    Posted: April 05 2012 at 11:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Last day to vote. What do you people think the tiebreaker criteria should be?

If I could make a suggestion Morningrise, I would increase the time to vote for each round, especially in the first round here.  Yes, it would absolutely drag this on longer, but if you're looking to expose people to new music a longer time might make it more worthwhile.  Let's face it, you're putting a lot of work into this, a couple of extra days for each heat will give you the chance to expose more people to the music.  As it is now, if I have a busy day today, then I've missed the chance to vote in the first round.  More time = more exposure which seems to be the main purpose behind this iteration of the World Cup.

Just my two cents.

Hey Roland113! Long time no seeing. I hope you can actively participate on this WC as you did on the last one.

It's true. Perhaps 1 or 2 days more for each match would be more appropiate. To avoid possible problems, I won't change the deadline for THIS match. But for the next ones I'll try to make them last 4 or 5 days.

The only thing I fear about this is that after a couple of days, if the different polls are not discussed, they will fall into the 2nd or 3rd page, and remain there without people knowing of their existance until the end of each battle where I would announce the winner.

While I like the idea of extending the deadlines,  a faster pace can bring more excitement to the proceedings.  And with all of the other contests going on, unless they're bumped quite a bit, they could quickly fall of the page and be neglected.

I was hoping that the popularity  poll through the years one, for instance, would be much faster paced, but then I don't think that the aim of that is, as much as this one, about exposing people to music.

Hey man, good to see you as well.  You bring up a valid point and yeah, if you extend out the time frame you run the risk of burying it.  Either way, this should be enjoyable.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 10:21
Poll's over.

Final Score: Factor Burzaco 9- Climax 7

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 09:29
Climax
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 04:23
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I preferred Climax. 

My first instinct was right, I just heard climax's entire album and it is magnificent! I feel bad for the low votes.
This contest really paid off, and it's just the first round.
Oh and thanks for the streaming.

Edited by sagichim - April 05 2012 at 04:34
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 23:04
At last I got to give a listen to this songs. Not really my thing, though I thought Factor Burzaco was somewhat better. Hopefully I'll find something more interesting in other polls.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 18:56
If the time for voting will be so short, then surely enough I'll loose ti oportunity to vote in many polls. Perhaps even more than half.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 16:20
In case of a tie just add one day not two, if the tie continues add another day, I believe this will work fine.
Atoms View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 16:05
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Check out the streaming of the album that I posted in the 2nd post.  The quality is much much better.

Thank you! It was really useful.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 15:28

If I could make a suggestion Morningrise, I would increase the time to vote for each round, especially in the first round here.  Yes, it would absolutely drag this on longer, but if you're looking to expose people to new music a longer time might make it more worthwhile.  Let's face it, you're putting a lot of work into this, a couple of extra days for each heat will give you the chance to expose more people to the music.  As it is now, if I have a busy day today, then I've missed the chance to vote in the first round.  More time = more exposure which seems to be the main purpose behind this iteration of the World Cup.

Just my two cents.

Hey Roland113! Long time no seeing. I hope you can actively participate on this WC as you did on the last one.

It's true. Perhaps 1 or 2 days more for each match would be more appropiate. To avoid possible problems, I won't change the deadline for THIS match. But for the next ones I'll try to make them last 4 or 5 days.

The only thing I fear about this is that after a couple of days, if the different polls are not discussed, they will fall into the 2nd or 3rd page, and remain there without people knowing of their existance until the end of each battle where I would announce the winner.

While I like the idea of extending the deadlines,  a faster pace can bring more excitement to the proceedings.  And with all of the other contests going on, unless they're bumped quite a bit, they could quickly fall of the page and be neglected.

I was hoping that the popularity  poll through the years one, for instance, would be much faster paced, but then I don't think that the aim of that is, as much as this one, about exposing people to music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 15:02

Just my two cents.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 14:49

Just my two cents.

+1
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 14:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Voted Factor Burzaco, which was the only one of these I knew beforehand and really impressed me when I saw it suggested for PA, but I like both in different ways.

Tiebreaker? Not based on number of ratings certainly as I seem to remember you did before.  Maybe you could ask in a post questions about both bands and the first poster to get them right breaks the tie in favour of the album of his/her choice.  I know it sounds silly, but it adds more gameshow factor to the proceedings, even if they are just searching/gogling the info (course it depends whose online and is a bit unfair, I guess).  never-mind.  I'd be okay if you had the tie-breaker advantage based on your own preference , but you'd expect some heat for that.

Incidentally, it's your contest and I know you had to limit it (I thought this time around you would be doing more bands at a time while offering youtube clips of all of them but I guess I wasn't quite clear on how you'd do it from discussion in the thread where you asked if it was worth doing this), but I do wish you hadn't gone with so limiting a number of ratings.  I was hoping Arrigo Barnabe would qualify.  I don't have a big collection from the regions, but this is one of my favourites:

4.00 | 5 ratings Clara Crocodilo

Actually, at the end of the other WC, I proposed that exact same idea, not as a tiebreaker, but as a way to give extra votes to the band whose questions were correctly answered first. Most people hated my idea so I didn't put it in practise . Of course it was a different scenario, since the tournament was on its last stages, and perhaps people didn't want anything to change.

But now that the tournament is just beginning, I think it could work.

Anyway, keep those ideas coming. I'll take them into consideration.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 14:10

Just my two cents.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 13:55
I preferred Climax. 
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 13:32
Factor Burzaco, of course.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 13:26
It's a pity that Rodrigo San Martin is remained out. His "Eyes" is one of the best albums that I've listened to in 2012.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 13:23
I know very few of those bands. Probably I will vote very few times but it's an opportunity to know some bands new for me. Good idea. I mean the poll.

Edited by octopus-4 - April 04 2012 at 13:23
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:58
Voted Factor Burzaco, which was the only one of these I knew beforehand and really impressed me when I saw it suggested for PA, but I like both in different ways.

Tiebreaker? Not based on number of ratings certainly as I seem to remember you did before.  Maybe you could ask in a post questions about both bands and the first poster to get them right breaks the tie in favour of the album of his/her choice.  I know it sounds silly, but it adds more gameshow factor to the proceedings, even if they are just searching/gogling the info (course it depends whose online and is a bit unfair, I guess).  never-mind.  I'd be okay if you had the tie-breaker advantage based on your own preference , but you'd expect some heat for that.

Incidentally, it's your contest and I know you had to limit it (I thought this time around you would be doing more bands at a time while offering youtube clips of all of them but I guess I wasn't quite clear on how you'd do it from discussion in the thread where you asked if it was worth doing this), but I do wish you hadn't gone with so limiting a number of ratings.  I was hoping Arrigo Barnabe would qualify.  I don't have a big collection from the regions, but this is one of my favourites:

4.00 | 5 ratings Clara Crocodilo

Edited by Logan - April 04 2012 at 13:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:27
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 11:56
Check out the streaming of the album that I posted in the 2nd post.  The quality is much much better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>