Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas prog ever made you cry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has prog ever made you cry?
    Posted: April 12 2012 at 12:57
Before one of my classes some girls asked me and two other guys if we ever cried (one was arguing that men don't cry because their emotions are black and white), I said the last time I cried was when a long term pet had died a little over a year ago, but that music sometimes made me well up. Another girl was shocked, "Music!? What kind of Music!?" These three girls in particular are known for their well-broadcast fondness of Korean pop whose lyrics they could not understand- so I think I understand that they would be bewildered by the suggestion music could move someone. The girls voice was utterly shocked, I wish I could convey it, as if the concept of crying or feeling any deep connection to music was unfathomable. Classic.

Prog for me unleashes very, very deep emotions. I don't listen to my favorite band, Floyd, too much, because it unleashes great forces of introspection and awe at the universe, society and my fate in my mind. I've listened to Floyd since I was a child, and its like a Freudian connection.

I don't cry frequently, or sob or anything, but a tear has dropped a few times over the years. Oddly enough, one song that effects me is Fanfare For The Common Man by ELP, I don't know why, it just conjures up images that I consider beautiful.

More frequently I reach that "pre-cry" stage where I think most men naturally go to, rather than outright shedding tears.

I'm listening to Dark Side Of The Moon as its raining outside.... It's pretty powerful stuff.

Similar experiences, or "no one should take music so seriously."
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:04
A few of the more emotional pieces about life and death have gotten me there; "Turn of the Century" by Yes and "Never the Same" by Echolyn are two that immediately spring to mind.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:18
Sure, the cover art of Love Beach LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:21
Yes, and it still does sometimes. Few examples: Mostly Autumn's The Gap Is Too Wide and Mother Nature, everything of Syd Barrett if I think to his story, and the poetry of the prog-related Fabrizio De Andre' (because I understand the lyrics), just to say the first things that I have in mind.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:21
and of course High Hopes
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:22
I mostly listen to Progressive Metal (hey, I try other things, but I know what I like), so it's rare that this music makes me cry. Actually the one artist that causes tears for me isn't even progressive - David Gray. However, two Progressive Metal songs do come to mind that did make me cry the first time I heard them, both having to do with parenthood. The first, I heard before I was a father - Goodnight Kiss, from Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater. The second I heard when my son was about nine months old, so it meant a lot more to me then than it would've had I heard it earlier in my life - Keep Breathing by Redemption. One of their guitarists wrote it about his daughter, Parker, who has a degenerative disease that caused her to go blind. He talks about how he hates to see her going through the pain, wishes he could take the pain from her, but can't believe how brave she is and how it inspires him. Man, I had to pull over when I heard that one in the car...

Edited by dtguitarfan - April 12 2012 at 13:23
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:23
Was just a joke, didn't mean to sound disrespectful.

I can't remember any specific case but yes, I know that if I happen to be in some certain intense state of mind, certain songs or passages can surely tie a knot in my throat. Maybe the a cappella begining of Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, indeed Turn of the Century, Queen's Nevermore or You Take My Breath Away, The Lamia...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:25
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

More frequently I reach that "pre-cry" stage where I think most men naturally go to, rather than outright shedding tears.

Yeah, I get that too.  I never could come up with a name for that state, so I'm glad you finally did.  "Pre-cry".  Simple, spot on.

Anyhoo, if you count the Moody Blues as prog (some people don't), a lot of Mike Pinder's songs make me "pre-cry".  My Song, Lost in a Lost World, Melancholy Man, Dawn is a Feeling... he put the "Moody" in Moody Blues, I think.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:28
Pre-cryLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:32
Knowing the value of a good cry, sometimes when I'm in pre-cry mode I try to just let it go into a full-on deluge of tears (if I'm alone, especially), but I can't do it.  What prog song will release me from the chains of stoicism?

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:32
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I mostly listen to Progressive Metal (hey, I try other things, but I know what I like), so it's rare that this music makes me cry. Actually the one artist that causes tears for me isn't even progressive - David Gray. However, two Progressive Metal songs do come to mind that did make me cry the first time I heard them, both having to do with parenthood. The first, I heard before I was a father - Goodnight Kiss, from Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater. The second I heard when my son was about nine months old, so it meant a lot more to me then than it would've had I heard it earlier in my life - Keep Breathing by Redemption. One of their guitarists wrote it about his daughter, Parker, who has a degenerative disease that caused her to go blind. He talks about how he hates to see her going through the pain, wishes he could take the pain from her, but can't believe how brave she is and how it inspires him. Man, I had to pull over when I heard that one in the car...

Ooh, I just remembered one more - Seventh Wonder has a concept album called Mercy Falls (which I HIGHLY recommend), the plot of which is very difficult to decipher. We know there was a car accident and the dad is in a coma, and "Tears for a Father" is a scene where the son is by his dad's bedside talking to him about how much he misses him. Man, I hope my kids never have to go through that...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:39
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Knowing the value of a good cry, sometimes when I'm in pre-cry mode I try to just let it go into a full-on deluge of tears (if I'm alone, especially), but I can't do it.  What prog song will release me from the chains of stoicism?

This ethereal Zeuhl classic just might do the trick:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:43
Often.

Recently...Genesis Rome 2007.

Cinema Show­, Firth and Carpet Crawlers.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

This ethereal Zeuhl classic just might do the trick:

Yes... I believe it has come close before.  Great song/album...

-Kehlog Albran
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:46
Well, yes.Embarrassed

Men on average cry less than women, but that doesn't mean we don't cry - just look at the dedicated sport fans.

Prog songs that stimulated my lachrymal glands are 750000 Anni Fa, L'Amore from Darwin! by Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, and the best guitar solo in history (sorry Mr. Gilmour): Rhayader Goes To Town from The Snow Goose by Camel.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:50
I only cry when I run out of beer and smack...

Seriously though, I might've shed a tear or two the first time I heard The Madcap Laughs, but that is because I have a deep affection for Syd. I really feel him - and to some extent I can relate to his insanity - I am just able to hold it together - currently that is...

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:50
Hi,

Not only "progressive" music ... but any music really.

The last piece in Nektar's Recycled is one of the saddest things I have ever heard. The band was done and broke and tired and it was over. The material in the next album was almost all from previous stuff they had done in concert before, so that album was not "new" per se, and since then ... I personally have not felt that it was as good or strong as it could be. I did, enjoy tremendously their concert in America (Nearfest?) which was good, but ... but ... but ... I had tears in my eyes ... it felt old, tired, and trying to find a spark that was not there.

Fairport Convention - One More Chance from the album "Rising for the Moon". Sandy Denny did not survive this song and died a couple of weeks later. To make matters even more nerve wrecking, on the remastered CD there is a piano version that is far more hauntingly beautiful than the massive voice and instrumental jam on the first version on the album, which is magnificent already and a very honest and touching tribute to the lady ... one of the most powerful and saddest moments in rock music for me! A truly beautiful voice.

AD2 - Apocaliptyc Bore on the Side 2 of Vive La Trance -- It is an anthem of sorts but it really helps tell the story of the band and its work ... and after that piece ... it was over. No more jams that mattered and that enthralled us, instead a few pieces of some synthesizer touch here and there in the album "Made in Germany" that were pathetic and were mostly meaningless as opposed to the previous montages they had done. The lyrics kinda tell it all, that the days of drugs and fun were over ... and the music in their albums never again regained the power, strength and intent that it had before. There always was one or two cuts worth listening to, but hearing "Loosey Girls" is not the same thing as "Yeti" or anything in "Wolf City" ... and to me it was ... not good.

AD2 - Part 2. The hatred and the disgusting attitude that they have towards a lot of their music. The album "Utopia" is very good and has a lot of nice things ... yet John calls is "b*****d" on an email. The album No blah blah number is also very good ... it's not even listed on their website! In the end, this is sad, and a disrespect to the art of creativity and experience. You can not tear out a piece of your heart and not pay the price for it! And in art it is visible ... and as Guy Guden would say ... get thee off your bummery!

Can - I saw Damo with a band over here in the west coast. I took pictures on the show and such (posted on teh website) ... and just before the end of the show ... I left. I felt empty. I felt out of time and place. Because of my film/theater work and studies and background, I loved the free form that this was and what it brought about. For people on stage and film (and hopefully music ... as Can is that example!), stuff like this is very important and valuable ... and all I saw was ... a sort of top ten rendition now of what was left of it. It was not good. Not even close. It had nice bits ... but it was not that great. When I got home, I started crying ... it was like our friends had left. I certainly do not want Damo to be on my wall like Elvis is on so many walls, but what I saw ... was not "creative" ... and it lacked spark.  I kept thinking of the old like in the old days ... these guys needed to be and get stoned, because they stunk!

The Who (At Knebworth or equivalent about 6 or 7 years ... not sure which). There is a moment in there that I had seen inside my dreams several weeks earlier and one of the reasons I wanted to see The Who do their thing (and hoped the screwed up tv transmissions would show it!), was to try and find/catch that moment. It's very subtle, last a few seconds and it's just before a loud scream ... and the moment before it was what I was looking for it ... it was him saying to himself "I don't want to do this anymore. It doesn't mean anything to anyone in here!" .... and I have always agreed and thought that the album "Who Are You" was specially important because of that and what this group had come through and how they were also revolting to a lot of the social bs ... and guess what ... that scream is about that ... and I know what Roger meant and wanted to say, and could no longer say it, because it didn't matter anymore ... we're just a bunch of __________ fans that don't give a cahoot about the music and what it means. We also believe in prog ... not because of what it means, but because of our own ideas. And that is not the main reason why most artists ever get on the stage. It was sad ... and the real end of my generation as a bunch of geriatric hippocrites that don't know what the word "love" really means, and on top of it, they mostly don't care and are not capable of showing it. And it's a totally disassociated group ... that believes in the top ten, but not in the music itself. How much more vain can that be? Roger you can scream again ... but no one will hear you! And you know it!

The Man Band -- The long cut of C'mon in "Back Into the Future". I think this is Mickey in that long version of the piece that does the yodeling and lala's alongside the choir and the guitar. It sure sounds like him. A few years back I saw the DVD about Tom Dowd and him talking ... about "catching the magic when it happens" ... you can't set it up, and sometimes it is not perfect, but the moment itself ... is glorious ... and he found us ... one of the best moments in rock history ... in Layla. Every time I hear that long piece and that wonderful lala'ing in the middle of it, you know one thing about music, or ideas ... you have to FEEL IT to do it ... and you will never find a better example, in live music than those few minutes of the most amazing feeling ... and here was ... a very special moment that you can not script ... to me this is as good as anything else ... and I still cry ... because you can hear the dreaminess and the desire coming through ... at least what the piece meant to Mickey that no one else could relate to is my thought!

Klaus Schulze with Lisa Garrard - Das Rheingold. This is not for everyone, and not something that progressive afficcionados even enjoy listening to ... but yeah ... when I was done hearing that I applauded the grit, the courage and the essential desire to just live through the music ... regardless of what it is. Someone in this board once sais that LIsa was boring repetitive and stuck up ... and I ... I cired. I thought that Richard Wagner, Mahler and many others would have loved to have heard this, and might have added/changed the course of opera ... Italy is/was way too melody minded to appreciate something like this ... and what I heard there was ... yeah ... I have few words for it, but I will dream with this forever. It talks more than anyone will ever know.

And finally ... Magma in San Francisco 1999 at the Music Festival that Sean Ahearn lost his shirt and shorts on. He didn't deserve that loss for his insane efforts with "progressive music" but we're a fickle and f**ked up group sometimes. I was the first out of my seat for a standing ovation that ended up lasting almost 15 minutes and had Christian in tears. I had a camera and was shooting the whole event, and I could no longer focus and the last 45 minutes ... just let it go ... you gotta see it to believe it. Maybe it was the feeling that after all these years, like 30 of them, FINALLY a validation that all this is important and means something for me ... but I was very glad to shake Christian and Stella's hands and thank them ... for some reason I kept thinking this would not come off well live ... despite having heard a couple of their live albums ... and of course ... sublime is not enough of a word for this hour plus of music!

Edited by moshkito - April 12 2012 at 14:26
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moonlitbay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:59
The whole concept of "Remedy lane", by Pain of Salvation. Especially Undertow....
A reunion.......it will never happen in my lifetime!!
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 14:02
The first time I heard the a capella beginning of Dancing with the Moonlit Knight off the live box set, I felt some tears.

And the reprise of "Hey baby, with your guardian eye so blue" at the end of Supper's Ready.

I feel tears at awesome moments during live concerts sometimes. Even with cover singer, when I saw Yes a few years ago and they got to "I get up, I get down" I felt it.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 14:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I only cry when I run out of beer and smack...

Seriously though, I might've shed a tear or two the first time I heard The Madcap Laughs, but that is because I have a deep affection for Syd. I really feel him - and to some extent I can relate to his insanity - I am just able to hold it together - currently that is...

That's interesting. I can not say I did not feel somewhat like that when I bought the album ... and thought ... good God ... who is that ... when compared to the work he had done with Pink Floyd ... so the stuff with PF, was able to take his lyrics and create a massive atmostphere around it ... Syd by himself? ... was almost invisible and the words ... lacked meaning.

Something was not right.

But then, almost all of that group that came out of that house with Syd ... the only one that cleaned himself up quicker and sooner than anyone else, was Daevid Allen ... the others survived, but there is a lot to them that ... is sad, and sometimes strange and then ... downright bizarre and weird. I'm not sure I like thinking of my generation like that at all ... we have way too much great music and art ... that was much more indicative of our spirits and souls ... than the blatant dismembering of Syd ... and it is not better on his next album either!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>