FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVinyl vs CD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2004 at 20:06

I really miss the LP covers and inserts, but not the hiss and crackle, which drove me absolutely nuts. The usual 16-bit CD Audio does sound 'clinical' in comparison to a new LP on a high quality HIFI though, although 24-bit DVD Audio is supposed to be very good. I've got a DVD player that plays DVD Audio as well as video, but my amp is not good enough to bring out the difference, and I'm not going through the hassle and expense of investing in yet another amp.

What we need, in my opinion, is a completely new, static technology, i.e. no rotating discs, moving laser heads etc. that eventually go out of alignment or seize (as one of my CD players did), and no discs that can get scratched easily. I'm waiting for 24-bit (or higher) audio albums with 6 channels on something robust no larger than an xD-Picture Card, with high resolution graphics also stored on the card, so that I can look at high quality album art and text on a big TFT TV, TFT screen or even wall projector while I'm listening to the music.

And while I'm on the subject of CDs, the person who designed the so-called Jewel Case cannot have been an engineer: the hinge lugs are so flimsy the darn things break very easily. It's a very poor design in my opinion.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2004 at 07:36
Originally posted by Fitzcarraldo Fitzcarraldo wrote:

...24-bit DVD Audio is supposed to be very good...

It's like the difference between 16-bit pictures and 24-bit pictures - at certain resolutions they look more or less the same, but zoom in and the pixellations and other digitised artefacts are noticeable. With audio, that means turn it up a bit and the flat dynamics and audio artefacts can become apparent. MP3s are the best demonstration of this - many DVD players also play CDs with MP3s on - and the artefacts that are unnoticeable on your PC suddenly become far worse than the crackle of vinyl.

What we need, in my opinion, is a completely new, static technology, i.e. no rotating discs, moving laser heads etc. that eventually go out of alignment or seize (as one of my CD players did), and no discs that can get scratched easily.

We've already got that - solid state MP3 players are but the beginning of such technology. All we need is a device that will store and reproduce 24-bit 192Khz audio files, with a capacity equal to the average DVD (around 5Gb) that doesn't cost too much. 5Gb RAM is currently £1,000 or so, retail, and prices are dropping every year. I don't see why it shouldn't reach the consumer market in 2-3 years. In the meantime, I'm quite attracted to the mobile mp3 devices that have hard disks - up to 40Gb (maybe more!). 40Gb will store 8,000+ mp3s, which will sound OK on a portable player designed for the job (ie Creative or iPod).

And while I'm on the subject of CDs, the person who designed the so-called Jewel Case cannot have been an engineer: the hinge lugs are so flimsy the darn things break very easily. It's a very poor design in my opinion.

With all the money we're expected to pay for the things I totally agree! CDs cost a fraction of what it costs to produce vinyl LPs, so we should not be paying so much for them. When they introduced CDs in the 1980s, Vinyl LPs were around £5, and CDs were at least twice that. It costs less than 10p to produce a CD, excluding artwork and printing costs - so why didn't prices drop to reflect lowered production costs...

I'll still collect vinyl first and foremost for the warm sound and great artwork - it is possible to track down 2nd hand first-press copies that have had little play and still sound good - and then burn them to CDs. That way, if the CD dies, you just create another one - and you have the wonderful artwork that came with the vinyl into the bargain. It's quite a simple matter to run the recording through Goldwave first to remove the crackle before you burn the CD.

The other advantage is that when you upgrade a copy, your old copy can still fetch a nice amount on eBay, as there are many collectors out there!

mimusica View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2004 at 09:26

Nice discussion here! My two cents:

When talking about vinyl sounding better than the CD keep in mind that during the 80's and certainly toward the end of the LP era, most pop and 99% of all classical recordings were done digitally. So if you had an LP of let's say The Boston Pops playing "Jukebox" tunes, these recordings were done on 24 track digital machines, mixed and mastered in the digital domain and then released on vinyl as well as on CD. Claiming the LP sounded better than the CD in this case was a bit silly, right? However, some audiophiles fell in this trap.

I have a few classical LP's in my collection, recorded before 1978 on analog tape machines, mixed and mastered in the analog domain and released at that time on vinyl only. Later I bought the same on CD and "did the test". Yes, of course they sounded different, with the LP winning on all fronts. Here however the mistake was made, as with most pop LP's released in the 80's, that the record company used the analog master tapes and converted them in to digital, not realizing the mastering engineers had boosted the top end, so after playing the LP a few times the highs from the LP still sounded reasonable. This was the reason many audiophiles rejected the CD, because they sounded so "harsh"! Later the record companies adjusted the mistake and started to release the so called re-mastered versions.

Even today, they continue to re-re-re master and re- re- re- release the same products over and over again (as if they did not make enough money already). To be honest, the latest re-releases, since the early 2000's sound incredibely good. Just yesterday I bought Emmylou Harris' "Quarter Moon In A Ten Cent Town" of which I also had the original LP. Guess what, the CD wins on all fronts! An excellent mastering job, this time around. (I don't care for the extra tracks, but hey, they have to give you an excuse to buy this thing, right?).

So in conclusion having analog recordings all the way through to LP still sound very very good (must have good equipment). Early CD's sounded like crap, but we've come a long way with 24 bit mastering, SACD and DVDA and they can match and even surpass the analog recordings. (one last note: audiophiles always like to have the widest frequency range and widest dynamic range. Even professional analog recorders, like the ones from Studer had filters in the 30 kHz area in order not to get into beating with higher bias recording frequencies. The dynamic range of a classical orchestra is 80 dB or more, which is impossible to record on vinyl . Even CD's have a limited - on purpose - dynamic range, so that not everyone blows up their speakers, blows out their windows or blows up whole neighborhoods

Greetings form a (skeptical) audiophile!

Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2004 at 17:26

Not only was stuff remastered to death, but then there was this "Direct Metal Mastering", as if that was supposed to be a good thing! The process involved creating the mother from a copper disk instead of a lacquer. The advantage is that the sound is clearer, and copper disks are much easier to make. The disadvantage is that the grooves aren't as deep, meaning a much less fat sound.

Creating lacquers is a real art, and there are certain engineers who have a high reputation. These guys often carved their names into their work - e.g. "A PORKY PRIME CUT". Got a Led Zep 1st pressing? It's a Porky! And you can tell - those Plum and Orange 1st presses are a great way to test your stereo to breaking point, especially Led Zep II. Later pressings were always on thinner, softer compounds - especially during the 1980s, where you could easily flex most LPs. Avoid those!

More recently the trend has been for 180 - 200g heavyweight vinyl, and the sound is better.

But I've yet to hear anything to compare to a late 1960s - early 1970's first pressing. I can recommend anything by the Beatles - especially if you can track down a "Near Mint" Mono version of Sgt Pepper. Should be around £50-£60, but it's worth it! The bass on that baby is awesome!! Led Zep III is another good bet - you can normally get a really nice Plum and Orange "Do What Thou Wilt - So Mote It Be" for £10-15 - same as a CD (the engineers often asked the bands if they wanted anything carved in the run-out groove at the end of the lacquer. Maybe they should have waited for Mr Page to come down a bit first...).

One of the best things about collecting vinyl is wandering into those old vinyl shops in back alleys or charity shops, then suddenly discovering a near-mint 1st press marked at 50p.

Beats collecting CDs, I'd say!

NyghtOwl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 06:19
New Vinyl on a good deck with a good stylus etc is waaaay better than CD can ever be; reason?
Well, I reckon it's cos Music is a vibration/movement of air
Therefore to reproduce this using a stylus (which works by reading the grooves and translating the vibration into sound) has to by definition be better than a laser reading a CD with no physical contact.
Life is a beach...
How come I'm not on it?
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 09:49

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

But I've yet to hear anything to compare to a late 1960s - early 1970's first pressing. I can recommend anything by the Beatles - especially if you can track down a "Near Mint" Mono version of Sgt Pepper. Should be around £50-£60, but it's worth it! The bass on that baby is awesome!!

I've got one! I've got one! I've got one! I've got one! I've got one! I've got one! I've got one!

bought it for 10 euro's.. A very mint copy!

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 13:44

10 Euros? is it a UK copy? If so

You lucky brd!!!!!!

I bought my first for £45, then, because it was a really rare variant with wide spine and long flaps, tracked down a normal spine version for £12.50 (inc shipping) and thought I'd got a bargain. This latter had an unsplit "Fool on the Hill" inner as well as the proper dark green cutouts - and mother/stampers of 1 AG /1 AR - very early!

I'll get my anorak...

Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2004 at 04:27
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

10 Euros? is it a UK copy? If so

You lucky brd!!!!!!

I bought my first for £45, then, because it was a really rare variant with wide spine and long flaps, tracked down a normal spine version for £12.50 (inc shipping) and thought I'd got a bargain. This latter had an unsplit "Fool on the Hill" inner as well as the proper dark green cutouts - and mother/stampers of 1 AG /1 AR - very early!

I'll get my anorak...

I don't know for sure... I can only mark the "1967", It is printed in the netherlands tough

It's a gatefold sleeve, with this with it:

So ehm yeah.. well it will never be a bad album

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2004 at 18:01

Right, you audiophiles, perhaps you can put me straight on another question that has been niggling me for some time.

As far as I understand it, Audio CD technology as originally invented by the Dutch electronics giant Philips is fundamentally 16-bit, i.e. commercial CD players have 16-bit D-to-A converters to turn the digital signal from the CD back to an analogue signal. Is my understanding correct?

Now, I have seen (and indeed own) a few gold-coloured CDs labelled as "24-bit encoded". How can a 24-bit signal be played through a 16-bit D-to-A converter? Or is the "24-bit" referring to the encoding of the master, which is then subsequently converted down to 16-bit to burn onto Audio CDs? In which case, does it actually make a difference aurally? Surely it does not if the limiting factor is the 16-bit CD Audio format. Of course, if the studio master is recorded as a 24-bit signal and used to produce DVD-Audio or another decoding format which *does* use 24-bit D-to-A conversion then I could understand the benefit. But I don't see why there should be a difference playing on a CD player a 16-bit Audio CD encoded from a 24-bit master and the same album encoded from a 16-bit master. Surely the end result is the same? Can anyone enlighten me?

Edited by Fitzcarraldo
mimusica View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2004 at 21:55

Fitzcarraldo,

I can spend hours, even days explaining the concepts of digital recording techniques, but that would get very booring very soon. Also explaining the "hype" about "everything digital" is a chapter in itself. To make a long story short, "24 bit encoding" does not mean the actual CD has 24 bits. The CD format has never been and will never be more than 16 bits PERIOD. The Redbook format (an industry standard) dictates 16 bits and the show ends there and then. Recording a project in 24 bit is possible ('though it is very hard to actually use all of the 24 bits, as it was in the early days of 16 bit ADC's and DAC's) mixing and mastering is also possible in 24 bits, but then comes the kicker. In order to make this signal ready for CD one can ignore the 8 extra bits (called truncating them) or one can use a scheme called dithering. Truncating is thank goodness not in use (anymore). The dithering process recalculates the 24 bit signal into a 16 bit signal and according to the hype: "preserving the dynamics and precision of the 24 bit signal". Granted, a dithered 24 bit signal sounds better than a straight recorded 16 bit signal, theoretically it has to, but a 16 bit signal can NEVER "preserve the dynamics" of the original 24 bit master, because it is a pure matter of mathematics. So anything on a regular CD that says "recorded in 20 or 24 bit" means simply everything BEFORE the pressing of the CD was in the higher bit rate, the CD will still be just 16 bittaroos.

BTW the number of bits has a direct relation to the dynamic range, for 16 bits theoretically 96 dB and for 24 bit 144 dB. This wide dynamic range has no real meaning, because if you stand direct behind a jet taking off, the difference of that noise with total silence (0dB) is around 120 db and that is so loud, it could damage your inner ears. The average dynamic range of the average pop record is (GET THIS) no more than 15 dB!!! So some sceptics have asked the question, why do we need all these super audio formats (like SACD and DVDA) when most people listen to crappy (meaning: dynamically compressed) recordings anyway............ good question! Besides, we have now the so called digitally compressed formats like MP3 that reduce the dynamic range even more, let alone diminish other "digital precision"; why bother recording in 24 bits?........another good question. At least the record companies have accomplished what they had in the pre-digital era, a master of a higher standard than what Joe Schmoe listens to in his car, on his iPod or in his home (if at all).

Both Philips and Sony were working on digital formats in the mid and late seventies. To avoid diferent formats and format wars these companies decided to work together and release the CD as we know it. All other formats like CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, CD-Video and others are a progression of the original CD format. It's all "just zero's and one's on a piece of plastic".

Friedrich Nietzsche

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 07:21
mimusica, thanks for the concise explanation. So my thoughts were not a million miles/kilometres from the truth, although, from what you have said, the dithered 24-bit signal does sound better than a straight recording using 16-bits quantization.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 16:47

Easy comparison:

Any of the 1st 3 Marillion CDs were re-released as 24-Bit Remastered versions. And they seem to have a much wider dynamic range whatever trickery is used!

mimusica

Great to have someone aboard who knows this stuff in some depth!

Which side of the *opinion" do you take - does vinyl sound better than CD to you?

mimusica View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2004 at 21:43

Good question, Certif1ed! I could not give you a straight answer, simply because I do have technical knowledge "in some depth" and I have been a promoter of digital recording/mixing and mastering. However I must say that every time I listen to a true analog recording I am flabergasted by the "naturalness" of it. And I don't mean LP's in this case. Original analog (analogue) recordings on professional analog tape playback systems sound incredibly good. LP's... I can not listen to too much, because when the needle gets over half of the record, the speed at which the needle goes through the grooves has gone down by 50% and the distortion increases almost exponentially. I simply can not listen to songs at the end of any 33 rpm record, because of this (IM and other) distortion. Obviously pops and other noises from a record will make me sit up straight, a "tick" left over since the early days of digital.

I am in favor of well (re)mastered recordings, preferably from original analog tapes, however there have been some excellent recordings made over the last twenty years in high resolution digital (20 or 24 bit) that can stand the test of time. I would like to emphisize here, that there are bigger differences in recording techniques, microphones and/or loudspeakers than there are differences in 16, 20 or 24 bit recordings. Anyone who buys a set of cheap little stereo speakers, places one on a bookshelf and the other behind curtains or a couch, should not engage in discussions about differences between vinyl or low or high resolution CD's. IMHO good loudspeakers set up in a decent environment with decent gear to run them, create a much greater listening satisfaction, then any fuzzing about the differences of good old vinyl, CD's, 16 or 24 bit recordings. I have a dedicated stereo system next to a home theater system (in a different room even), both expansive and expensive enough to make some people declare me rife for the asylum. Anyway, the love for music made me do it.....isn't that all that counts?

Friedrich Nietzsche

theis the one View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2004 at 16:53

100% Vinyl, totally.

Theis|Shogun
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 17:38

I don't know if someone's already said this, but technically DAC converters shouldn't alter the sound at all, merely convert it into a listenable format.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2004 at 13:34

Technically, yes, but they use an algorithm to calculate how to convert from digital to analogue. That means an amount of guessing to fill in the gaps that digital necessarily leaves.

It's been argued that this is imperceptible to the human ear - but sound doesn't only affect the ears, even if you do completely buy that argument!

Maybe my ears are somewhat jaded, because I really don't mind the distortion in the inner grooves or the pops and crackles - it's all part of the vinyl listening experience to me! Makes it all the better when I head into the studio to record stuff - I don't mind background noise, rather I try to encourage some, as I've never been to a gig where I haven't been aware of the noise from the equipment at some point. To my ears, it's all authentic sound and is ambient.

I know I'm not alone in this, because that's one of the points behind 4'33" by John Cage. There's no music for that period of time and one of the ideas is that you listen to the ambient sounds in the auditorium (and pray that no-one has a hacking cough or bad digestion - or that they do, depending on how evil you feel!).

Just got my vinyl copy of "Outside Inside" by Blue Cheer today. There's so much equipment noise on that it'd sound horrible if it was ever cleaned up!

Crazy_Guitar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 06:56

There's nothing like a brand new vinyl. Pity it scratches too easily.

Guitarist - The Crew
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2004 at 06:59

Hello,

Someone wrotes:

"When talking about vinyl sounding better than the CD keep in mind that during the 80's and certainly toward the end of the LP era, most pop and 99% of all classical recordings were done digitally. So if you had an LP of let's say The Boston Pops playing "Jukebox" tunes, these recordings were done on 24 track digital machines, mixed and mastered in the digital domain and then released on vinyl as well as on CD. Claiming the LP sounded better than the CD in this case was a bit silly, right? However, some audiophiles fell in this trap. "

Analog is another world compared to numeric.

Even "digital" vynil are often better than the latest CD version( on a good system of course)

It's the same when you copy a cd to a k7 with a good deck (like nakamichi 1000 or even a pionner ctf 1000, for example) the k7 sounds much better than the CD!

badc0ffee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 03:20
Originally posted by mimusica mimusica wrote:

In order to make this signal ready for CD one can ignore the 8 extra bits (called truncating them) or one can use a scheme called dithering. Truncating is thank goodness not in use (anymore). The dithering process recalculates the 24 bit signal into a 16 bit signal and according to the hype: "preserving the dynamics and precision of the 24 bit signal".

Both truncating and dithering start by eliminating the least significant 8 bits of data. Dithering adds parts (chosen by an algorithm) of the missing 8 bits back to the new 16-bit signal (effectively amplifing the softest changes in the 24-bit signal and mixing them in to the new signal). It's a software trick. I've heard that sometimes engineers will listen to a truncated and dithered version of a 24-bit master and choose the truncated output.

Oh, and vinyl. More than once I've talked to an owner/employee at a used record store and he turns out to be an old prog geek, and we have a great conversation. Of course, record store employees can sometimes be the crustiest people in the world...

lomboklombok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2004 at 08:08
Vinyl is the best ! The credits are much more easier to read........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>