Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryan Seacrest Makes $15 Million A Year
    Posted: April 27 2012 at 04:13
Does that fact deserve its own thread?

No.

But what it signifies does.

To me it seems to be incontrovertible proof that our economy and our values system is completely broken. Seacrest stands in front of a camera for a few hours a year on American Idol and goes "Here's this person going to sing this song, hooray" and not only that but he does it without distinction. He's not particularly energetic or funny or interesting in any way. I think most people would agree with that assessment too, this isn't some wacky outsider opinion. And he takes home 15 million a year.

In a world that is so imbalanced and unsettled, you can teach or work to save lives or be a policeman etc etc and struggle to make ends meet. But if you entertain people in a fairly indifferent manner, it's possible to take home 15 mill a year and everyone thinks that's fine. Don't blame the company that pays Seacrest. They wouldn't pay him this if the population wasn't pouring their attention and money into him. People could decide not to do so, but they don't.

Our professed values system is a lie and this kind of thing proves it. We espouse values that we don't actually reward. We tell everyone to be selfless and humble and to do real things to help people, but what do we actually reward and encourage? Entertainment. That's all we want. Something to stave off that creeping sense of windows closing all around you, that makes you feel it's OK to be a bit useless and irrelevant yourself because these successful people are useless and irrelevant too.

Here in New Zealand, they're shutting down Channel 7, a Channel dedicated to intelligent, quality television. The programming on it is excellent. Nobody watches it. Everybody talks sh*te about wanting to be informed and mentally stimulated and so on, but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of the population just says this for appearance. They really want vapid little distractions that confirm things they already think so they don't need to worry about having an inadequate worldview, that reassure them.

We need to give an honest revaluation of what it is that people care about because so many of us are continuing this fantasy narrative of how our society desires things that it makes no effort whatsoever to bring about. One of the things stopping us from bringing these things about, is the fairytale that we're already trying to.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 06:15
Sleepy

Meaningless pronouns.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 06:55
A mans income should be a function of his needs.

15 million is more than any man's needs are worth.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 07:28
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

A mans income should be a function of his needs.

15 million is more than any man's needs are worth.

For me it's just more evidence that you can't tax the rich enough.

Hey, his dad runs a law firm in one of the buildings where I do projects, where's my money dammit?!?!
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 07:33
I have no idea who he is.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 08:46
It signifies that a single entertainer can reach more people than a single doctor can. What do you want everyone in the country to donate money to a handful of doctors? I don't really get your criticism here.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 09:53
Honestly? He doesn't deserve the 15 million, but he does a LOT more than stand in front of the TV for a few hours a year. That guy does an almost daily 3 hour radio show, daily E! News, produces massive numbers of TV shows on the E! network as well as MTV, he hosts American Idol, and I believe he also does a couple other things. The man is actually supposed to be one of the hardest working people alive in the entertainment industry. Sure, he doesn't deserve 15 million a year, maybe more like 1/10th of that, but he still does a HELL of a lot more than most entertainers that make as much money as him.

I am certainly not defending that evil evil person, because he helps subjegate our children into oversexualization by creating and promiting reality television shows, most of which include horrible behavior by the cast, and this terrible behavior is thought to be normal by someone who has not been exposed culturally yet, like children. When a 13 year old girl sees Kim Kardashian (all their shows are produced by Seacrest), she has NO CLUE that Kim Kard is a terrible terrible, succubus of a human being. Instead, she emulates her behavior. What a bunch of HORRIBLE SCUM RUINING THE MINDS OF OUR YOUTH.

But honestly, he is not the main one to complain about. If you want to comlpain about someone simply making too much money, try Tyler Perry, , Dr Phil, Ke$ha, Bieber, Drake, Lil' Wayne, etc. These people make way too much money and instead of working 14 hour days like Seacrest, they don't do jack crap.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 09:56
Also, to the OP, we reward what makes money. What they teach you in school is not how the real world works. No one cares about others. "CHARITY" is doing good when others are watching. There is rarely such thing as "anonymous donation" and any large large donation that goes anywhere usually ends up in the hands of scum anyway.

In short, the world is a hellhole I hate everything.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:17
So what? NFL football players make about the same money. I don't give much of a crap about what they do but millions of other do. Star soccer players also get paid like that. Many here won't get a damn about they do but I and even more millions actually do. These people generate money and revenue in other ways. And that's why they get paid those apparently outrageous sums. 

No matter how, no matter what kind of brain-social engineering you come up with to modify people's priorities, a fireman who saves a person or a doctor who cures another one will never ever generate the same revenue that one of this famous people can, therefore they will never be paid as much. 

I know it's sad that more people watch the Kardashians than a cultural show in PBS (the US' public channel, which, curiously, is one of the better ones) but that's how life works. Most people want to be entertained after their days of work and just prefer some extremely idiotic show. Many people have never known anything about what you deem quality television that have been catered to the elites. Most people are average people, stupid and redundant as that statement sounds. You are an exception. 

Also, being a policeman mentioned as a life-saving job sometimes can be quite a stretch.... 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:23
I guess you take what you can get. If they are willing to pay him that good luck to him whoever he is. 
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:58
I recognize that name. WTF is he now?

I will once again say that when my wife and I decided to get rid of our TV, it was one of the best choices ever. It took a whopping 2 weeks to not even miss it. I'm not bragging, it was a simple experiment and it worked. I'm just telling people to give it a try.

The money system makes everything stupid.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:07
Getting rid of my tv would mean getting rid of the screen I need to watch movies in bluray or dvd, one of my favorite pastimes (I never watch movies off movie channels, I prefer to do the choosing), and to play games, an eventual pastime, so I definitely wouldn't do it. I prefer to just ignore the stupid shows that abound, but I need my monitor. Also, eventually there's information or a soccer match or something that makes me actually watch broadcast tv. So no no. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Getting rid of my tv would mean getting rid of the screen I need to watch movies in bluray or dvd, one of my favorite pastimes (I never watch movies off movie channels, I prefer to do the choosing), and to play games, an eventual pastime, so I definitely wouldn't do it. I prefer to just ignore the stupid shows that abound, but I need my monitor. Also, eventually there's information or a soccer match or something that makes me actually watch broadcast tv. So no no. 

It's not the TV you need to get rid of, it's the cable box.

But I agree that there is occasionally something actually worthwhile and stimulating to watch.... Occasionally...

Edited by darkshade - April 27 2012 at 12:17
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:43

If there is really something interesting to watch, you can wait 1-2 years and get it on DVD

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:06
We watch DVDs on our computers. Including some old series.

We eventually (about 5 years in to the process) bought a desktop with a big screen to watch movies.

But I will tell you, if you haven't watched video with commercials for several years, it will disgust you.

Again, just try it. See what happens.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:13
O i know this- makes you wanna choke yourself. I feel like commercials have only gotten MORE annoying.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:14
Eh, even for you Textbook this is pointless. LOL
What do you want?

Does he deserve $15 million a year? No.
Do baseball players deserve $200 million contracts to play a game? No
This isn't even new...since I was a kid I've heard the parents complaining about him or her and how they have these butt tons of money and etc   I don't think many people like it when they really think about it.
I'll agree with celebs and athletes and all that our value system is screwed up but seriously, watcha gunna do?

I pretty much agree 100% with you especially about our general "now" society, love of the dumb and simple and throwing money at people who don't earn it...but all you can do is not be a part of it. (To the best you can)
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:25
Good for him, (or maby not, actualy..he should prob. get a life instead) 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:37
Glad you did hit on the main point though textbook:
Natural inclination is to blame him or the company, but as you said...it's us.
It's not like he started a company that became multi billion or did something of use.
As an entertainer his outrageous pay is solely from us.

Is it "not right"? Not really, because if only 10 people enjoyed him it would not have happened. It is 100% because of the masses he's so big, he has earned it...because we give it him.

Like the people who make YT channels (IMO that aren't that great) but get huge and actually earn a living just from YT videos!!! How can this guy make a living from that while I have to work? Well, he put it up there and people liked it enough to donate, and enough to get him sponsored. He's earned it...like it or not.

Really, the only group that annoys me are people who are from rich families and can literally do nothing and live wonderfully (I've known a few) or these bankers/wall street people that shuffle $$ around and make tons but don't really contribute to society.

As for your point Slart, I hate to break it to you but:
By saying "you just cant tax the rich enough" you are saying, (admit it or not) you are jealous of his wealth.
I will fully admit I am, but I no longer hide behind by claiming their fair share. Deep down, it's a want to take their wealth.

Now I still believe people like....oh let's say Mitt Romney and Warren Buffet shouldn't pay 15% when my family pays 30% but second unfortunate truth for Slart:
Since the times of monarchs the wealthy have never paid their fare share, and they never will.
you may be surprised the shift in outlook you'll have when you accept it, and change from "punishing the wealthy" to "we should benefit everyone" Big smile

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 13:44
Let's just set everything on fire and let everyone die. Maybe next time people will evolve from birds and we will be too busy flying to give a crap about Bradgelina.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>