Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 05:00
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

Prog Idol.
There is no doubt it would work to some extent - in the UK we've had a Opera Idol ('Popstar to Opera Star') - it hasn't made opera stars out of the winners or contestants in the competition, but (ironically) it did result in increased sales of CDs of two of the judges (Ronaldo Villazón and Katherine Jenkins) - though both of them were (relatively) big sellers in the classical market before, it made them classical-crossover pop stars.
What?
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 05:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Prog Idol.
There is no doubt it would work to some extent - in the UK we've had a Opera Idol ('Popstar to Opera Star') - it hasn't made opera stars out of the winners or contestants in the competition, but (ironically) it did result in increased sales of CDs of two of the judges (Ronaldo Villazón and Katherine Jenkins) - though both of them were (relatively) big sellers in the classical market before, it made them classical-crossover pop stars.

Fish and Rick Wakeman. With A Delegate from progarchives.

Format: Have to have a full band.

Mellotron Mondays

30 second Cape-offs

Lord of the rings / hindu books lyrics days

singing through a giant fox's head / slipperman costume

fitting in a solo of every instrument in one six minute song....
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 07:47
I think to do a prog idol, you'd have to have people doing long songs (not always but a fair bit of the time) like at least 9 minutes long, maybe more. And that all by itself would sink this as a marketable idea.

Perhaps a prog website could do something like this as an online only thing where the videos can be stored, viewed and voted on by the faithful/hardcore, but I think it's unworkable as a mainstream product.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 09:17

Prog Idol.

As a classical music snobbish elitist pricklish afficionado, there's all kind of things I don't like in the information you just provided. Even reading BBB Music or Gramophone I never heard of such a travesty.

But even in this case when my contempt for reality tv is fueled for other reasons, if people want to watch it, people will watch it, and if thus it generates lots of revenue and therefore the stars of the show get paid enormous amounts of money, that's how the world works and nobody should complain. Those who say "things should be this way" are sometimes the reason why eventually people get to power who decide to make the world their way, no matter what.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 10:56
I hate being poor.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 11:11
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Enjoying the debasement of others has nothing to do with reality TV. That goes back thousands of years. We're instinctually programmed to seize upon things that make us feel superior to others. Reality TV is a just a convenient fuel source for this.

True, but that doesn't justify reality TV for giving us that outlet.  Just because humans naturally tend to revel in the humiliation of others doesn't make it right, and reality TV just encourages us to sink deeper into the filth we already wallow in.  I believe that the pleasure we get from watching the humiliation of others is a result of our fallen, sinful nature, and we should be shunning those sinful pleasures, not indulging in them.  Murder goes back thousands of tears too, but that doesn't mean we should have gladiator games to satisfy our violent impulses.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 13:41
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Prog Idol.

As a classical music snobbish elitist pricklish afficionado, there's all kind of things I don't like in the information you just provided. Even reading BBB Music or Gramophone I never heard of such a travesty.
For a classical music snobbish elitist pricklish (oops, nearly for forgot the "L") afficionado it shouldn't matter - once a performer steps over the line from "serious" to "popular" they cease to be classical. Crossover-classical isn't classical music, it's pop music; just as all those 3minute classics by Andre Rieu or Vanessa Mae are "pop" music, or Nut Rocker by B Bumble and the Stingers or ELP, the Sabre Dance by Love Scupture and Dance Macabre opus 40 by Ekseption are pop, not classical.
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

But even in this case when my contempt for reality tv is fueled for other reasons, if people want to watch it, people will watch it, and if thus it generates lots of revenue and therefore the stars of the show get paid enormous amounts of money, that's how the world works and nobody should complain. Those who say "things should be this way" are sometimes the reason why eventually people get to power who decide to make the world their way, no matter what.
Come the revolution brother we'll line them all up against the wall and force them to listen to Roger Waters. Power to the people!

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 13:55

Edited by RoyFairbank - April 28 2012 at 13:55
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 04:28
Looking around the supermarket and cafes and so on, I wonder how much of the food available there is never sold at all. It must be quite a lot. So we have a whole lot of producers/suppliers knowingly wasting food because they'd rather have the possibility of personal profit than the actual good of diverting these surplus foodstuff to the needy.

Priorities.

I was playing the Fallout games and wandering this landscape with echoes of civility and intellect that are distorted by filters of savagery and destruction and I got to wondering if this is what it's already like in some people's minds, the great achievements of culture embedded in their heads left smouldering, half-remembered husks by the bombardment of the nuclear warheads of shallow, self-interested consumerism.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 07:10

Looking around the supermarket and cafes and so on, I wonder how much of the food available there is never sold at all. It must be quite a lot. So we have a whole lot of producers/suppliers knowingly wasting food because they'd rather have the possibility of personal profit than the actual good of diverting these surplus foodstuff to the needy.

Priorities.

I would hope you would check to see if grocery stores, et al. donate food past its sell-by date to charity before making such a sweeping accusation.  You might also consider local or state government regulations that would make giving such food to the needy is a crime.  But even then, stores will donate edible but unsalable produce to zoos, animal feed-makers, or compost manufacturers.

A supermarket's first priority is to make a profit.  Wasting food and having poor public relations does not accomplish that.  It actually costs the supermarket money to dispose of food, and they can write off the donation on their taxes.

I was playing the Fallout games and wandering this landscape with echoes of civility and intellect that are distorted by filters of savagery and destruction and I got to wondering if this is what it's already like in some people's minds, the great achievements of culture embedded in their heads left smouldering, half-remembered husks by the bombardment of the nuclear warheads of shallow, self-interested consumerism.

You chose to use your time to play video games instead of helping the needy? 

Priorities.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 07:41
The point in general about Ryan Seacrest is valid but its roots are pretty deep and at least a century old, if not more.  By and by, the ruling class have discovered the power of money and learnt to exploit it better and better.  And the more they do so, the more they use their position irresponsibly and take predatory, heartless decisions.  In this way, a lot many educated people have become disillusioned with religion or at any rate, leaders use religion as a weapon to perpetrate evil acts of cruelty.   And without religion, it is very difficult to support a value system.  Why should I give you the respect that I would like to be given by other people?  Why should I exhibit courtesy, why should I show empathy or compassion?  Why indeed if there is no God that might punish me for not doing so?  

I am not saying it is impossible to have a value system without religion but it is certainly difficult to get a large number of people to embrace values without God faith to sort of coerce them into it.  Human civilization remains in equilibrium through a delicate social adjustment which we are and have been for several years now in the process of breaking down.  Because there is no God. The God that priestly folk talk about is just on paper.  The only God is the thing that buys you food and makes you rich enough that you can show off and sneer at people who are less fortunate than you.  So may God help the world.          

Edited by rogerthat - April 29 2012 at 07:41
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 10:25

Priorities.

Restaurants are the ones that waste food. I work at one, and have worked at other ones as well. I'd say, on average, that we dispose of about 25% of all the food that is made.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 12:51
it's really funny because I assume as usual, Textbook did this just for sh*ts

I really think he's compiling a book about human nature and is gunna use all this crap he's compiled on PA for it
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 15:27
Rogerthat: Except look at societies where religion rules or ruled. They're awful as well. Sure, they give you a values system, but it's like communism, only works on paper. In reality, the leaders feel they're above that values system.

And there's nothing moral about values that come from religion anyway. People follow them in pursuit of a higher quality afterlife, heaven and hell is just carrot and stick.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 16:29
Through the Courts of the bureau of The Feeble District Clerk who awfully jinxed over why we still haven't split tries to close up.
Hailey stops that.

We're here to get circled.
      Don't let me ask twice.
          O. Hey. You. But.

One jar for two. Halfandhalf.
Ladling lumpy spoons. Liponlip, tonguetotongue doubling an amber moustache.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 16:48

Rogerthat: Except look at societies where religion rules or ruled. They're awful as well. Sure, they give you a values system, but it's like communism, only works on paper. In reality, the leaders feel they're above that values system.

And there's nothing moral about values that come from religion anyway. People follow them in pursuit of a higher quality afterlife, heaven and hell is just carrot and stick.

Agreed that values don't come from religion. That's a metaphysical proposition itself.

Values should be based on utility on the one hand and thinking-ahead on the other. Both are important.

Religion tends to take values of a certain utility at some point and makes them eternal, so that they neither think ahead nor adapt to changed circumstances or exceptions. This leads to significant errors.

A scientific viewpoint adapts and bases values on conscious understanding of what goes into utility and what is good in the long term, based on evidence and rationalism.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 19:33

I think the carrot and stick is quite important when it comes to a large section of people.   What exact higher quality of life you or I pursue is hard to judge and we cannot have a value system based on these things.  Societies which were religious BECAME awful because the religious leaders eventually turned corrupt.  I don't see that dispensing with religion alone will solve the problem; we need something else to fill the breach.  Right now, it is absolutely ok to pay a politician's way to power and make him pass laws that are detrimental to national interest just because it suits your own.  And what's new is it is even justified as being nothing more than human nature.  If that indeed be human nature, then humanity has set itself on the long, painful path to decay and deterioration.  Unfortunately, people are just too preoccupied with their lifestyle to either realize this or care about it or both.    
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 19:35

Values should be based on utility on the one hand and thinking-ahead on the other. Both are important.

And does that not have all the potential to essentially be a selfish proposition? Perhaps I am alone then in believing that a entirely selfish social setup is not feasible.  If people are really going to ask, "What's in it for me?" every time an appeal is made to them for help, we are headed for deep trouble.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 21:03
Rogerthat: But it's a carrot and stick that isn't rooted in reality. While it's possible that heaven and hell exist, it's quite easy to come to the conclusion that they don't. One also encounters the problem of "forgiveness", where sins become A-OK as long as you accept X as your saviour or say a certain prayer after sinning. This is where the church sold out and stressed membership of the club over following its rules.
Our moral incentives should be as centred in the real world because they will be that much more convincing.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 10:40

Rogerthat: But it's a carrot and stick that isn't rooted in reality. While it's possible that heaven and hell exist, it's quite easy to come to the conclusion that they don't.

For you and me, yes.  But it's easier to convince 700 million farmers of the existence of God than to hold their attention through a discourse on metaphysics.  To that extent, religion has or had some practical utility, until the ruling class became greedy enough to use religion to sanction corrupt or cruel acts...and that was where the trouble began.   What are we of the middle class going to do about anything in any case?  As long as we are comfortable and hold steady jobs, we are not a threat.  But the social adjustment depends heavily on keeping lower income groups happy.  These days, though, the ruling class seems to have become so intoxicated with power and wealth that they believe they can trample on the masses and get away with it perpetually.  I have a feeling the endgame will be messy.

Our moral incentives should be as centred in the real world because they will be that much more convincing.

But the real world is perceptive and subjective, thereby also allowing enough margin for people to rationalize their mistakes and develop their own value systems to justify themselves if they so wish.  I am not a religious person, just by the by, but between two evils to control people - religion and money - I do believe the former is at least marginally preferable because there is at least the pretense of good intentions.  But once we get to the money game, any means can be justified by the end....of making hitherto unheard of money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>