Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John McLaughlin vs Allan Holdsworth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which guitarist do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [51.81%]
40 [48.19%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John McLaughlin vs Allan Holdsworth
    Posted: July 30 2016 at 12:14
Holdsworth is a one-man wrecking crew whereas I always viewed McLaughlin as an equal part within the talent in which he surrounded himself. I also think that the latter is less technical than the former. Then again, I'm no guitar player.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon (?) it." - Eno
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2016 at 02:02
I'm not a big fan of Mahavishnu Orchestra, but John McLaughlin for his work on: Donovan's Mellow Yellow; Tony William's Lifetime's Emergency, Miles Davis' In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, On the Corner and a couple of particular favourite albums of mine Big Fun and Get Up With It; the great Miroslav Vitous' Infinite Search and Purple; the Shakti with Jon McLaughlin albums; plus his work with Larry Coryell and Wayne Shorter.

Mind you, Allan Holdsworth has worked with some of my favourite acts too (Gong, Nucleus, and Soft machine), but not I think on my favourite albums by those acts.
Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 14:37
Probably said this in the thread earlier.....but McLaughlin for his work on the first two MO albums....but Holdsworth's work with UK and Bruford is outstanding.
Et In Arcadia Ego
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 07:19
Holdsworth
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 04:08
  Confused Page 4 seems to be deja vu all over again. LOL

Edited by SteveG - July 27 2016 at 04:08
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 08:09
John Mclaughlin . 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 04:21
Hmm...tough question but a very good one! I enjoy Holdsworth's playing more, but McLaughlin is the more inventive player of the two, IMHO. Tied.

Edited by SteveG - July 26 2016 at 04:23
BaldJean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 01:53
Allan Holdsworth is the Jan Garbarek of guitar

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2016 at 23:21
McLaughlin is exhilarating, but Holdsworth is more influential to me as a guitarist with his legato technique and use of atypical scales.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 07:20
 They both found patterns that allow very high speed, but I find Holdsworth solos more diverse and intriguing.
Support mine-clearing: http://www.digger.ch/?lang=en
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrapin Station Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 05:01
Originally posted by petewhit petewhit wrote:

He shouldn't be in this forum anyway.  Prog rock is Gentle Giant and Yes.  Mahavishnu and Holdsworth are
jazz fusion. 

One of the reasons I value progarchives so much (I've been using it for artist info for many years even if I only now registered for the forums) is that it lists fusion and other "prog-related" artists pretty comprehensively, too. I like fusion and some other "prog-related" stuff just as much as I like progressive rock. I've always seen fusion as basically "the same idea" as progressive rock, anyway--it's just that idea executed by musicians with more of a jazz background rather than musicians with more of a rock background.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrapin Station Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 04:29
I like both a lot, but Holdsworth for me. It particularly doesn't get any better than his work with Bruford. I just wish there had been more than two albums of that Bruford lineup. I love Holdsworth's work elsewhere, too, though, going all the way back to 'Igginbottom.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 00:53
This guy, though it's hardly a fair contest, he doesn't even play - -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 23:47
Who?
across the plateau no clouds storm the sky
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 20:25
Holdsworth solely on the strength of that damned UK debut. Doesn't get a whole lot better than that one.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 18:48
McLaughlin, either electric or acoustic. It doesn't matter.
And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 22:08
No contest: Realized potential over unrealized potential; emotion over cerebral; consummate team player over solo flash player; JM over AH
Drew Fisher,
Prog Is Alive and Well in the 21st Century,
Second Cloud on the Left Farm

La Farge, Wisconsin
petewhit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petewhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 21:41
He shouldn't be in this forum anyway.  Prog rock is Gentle Giant and Yes.  Mahavishnu and Holdsworth are
jazz fusion. 

Edited by petewhit - July 21 2016 at 21:42
petewhit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petewhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 21:39
I'm not feeling Alan Holdsworth....and they blast Coryell for being too mechanical?  McLaughlin seems to much more versatile in his approach to the instrument.  He spent seven years studying Indian rhythms which take a lifetime to master.  I just got finished watching thirty Holdsworth videos from young to old.  He has great technique and nice moments but I'm not blown away.       
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 02:46
Allan is the greatest guitarist ever.
"It's music, and I like it" - Miles Davis on Sketches of Spain
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic