Your pets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 26272829>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:43

Edit

Edited by The T - May 06 2012 at 21:47
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I know what you mean, but it is in their nature. I read somewhere, that the only animals who kill for sport are humans, cats and a few primate species.
I don't think cats kill for sport, even though we see them "play" with what they catch, they kill for food because they are predators. In the wild cats do not eat every day, which is why they sleep so much, also as kittens they learn to hunt by playing with prey their parents catch for them before eating it. In domesticating cats we keep them in an adolescent state and feed them regularly which screws around with their natural instincts - they act both as fully grown cats and as kittens, so they continue to "play" but rarely eat what they catch because they're not hungry.

I think you're right. Also when you see natural films about wild big cats - you often see these macabre scenes where the mother of these small kittens catches whatever prey and brings it back to them. This is obviously a lesson on how to kill and how to hunt. 
Many of our pets never experience the full training, because they are sold before any kind of bond has developed between parent and child. Plus, the parent could be a "victim" of the same procedure, as to which there is no real rebound. Of course they have instincts, but the swift clean kill is something that is taught methinks. There might be a few exceptions to this I gather though...

On another note, there are indeed many animals who play around with their prey. Killer whales play tennis with sea lions fx. Looks absolutely gruesome. 

I'd like to add that when prey is brought home to you it is most likely your cat trying to teach you... You should be hunting these things and it's their way of showing you whats out there and what you should go and find for yourself. Mommy cat does this routinely with her kittens. Starting with dead prey and after kitty takes an interest moving to the half dead prey. Since you never show any interest except for trashing it you are never promoted to half dead things :) The quick kill thing is mostly instinctual I believe. This I know from bringing kittens home and raising them as barn cats. They grow up and learn to hunt just fine with no parenting.

This space intentionally left blank

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I know what you mean, but it is in their nature. I read somewhere, that the only animals who kill for sport are humans, cats and a few primate species.
I don't think cats kill for sport, even though we see them "play" with what they catch, they kill for food because they are predators. In the wild cats do not eat every day, which is why they sleep so much, also as kittens they learn to hunt by playing with prey their parents catch for them before eating it. In domesticating cats we keep them in an adolescent state and feed them regularly which screws around with their natural instincts - they act both as fully grown cats and as kittens, so they continue to "play" but rarely eat what they catch because they're not hungry.

I think you're right. Also when you see natural films about wild big cats - you often see these macabre scenes where the mother of these small kittens catches whatever prey and brings it back to them. This is obviously a lesson on how to kill and how to hunt. 
Many of our pets never experience the full training, because they are sold before any kind of bond has developed between parent and child. Plus, the parent could be a "victim" of the same procedure, as to which there is no real rebound. Of course they have instincts, but the swift clean kill is something that is taught methinks. There might be a few exceptions to this I gather though...

On another note, there are indeed many animals who play around with their prey. Killer whales play tennis with sea lions fx. Looks absolutely gruesome. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:18

What?
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:13
My cat Roger (he's not my only cat, but he's the craziest and funniest cat I've ever seen).

Edited by ole-the-first - May 06 2012 at 12:15
This night wounds time.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:08
Spike will take down a rabbit, and then devour all but the tail and "innards". I arrived home one evening a few weeks ago to see a white van parked by my house with the driver searching the hedgerow with a torch. Assuming we was looking for something that had fallen off his van, I parked up and strolled down the drive to see what the problem was and offered to help. He said a black and white cat darted out of the drive opposite and hit his van, but he could not find the injured cat - fearing it was Spike I grabbed a torch from the car and joined the search, but after 30 minutes no trace could be found. In the end I thanked the guy for stopping and decided to wait for Spike to limp home (if he were able - though logic dictated that if was fit enough to run away and hide he couldn't be too hurt). More than a little upset, I went inside the house to find the kitchen floor covered in blood, further adding to my distress, I frantically searched the house to no avail and then took a mop and bucket and cleaned the house before my wife returned home. I fed the other three cats and went outside again to see if I could find him - and there he was sat on the fence as right as nine-pence without a scratch on him. I can only assume the blood-stained kitchen floor was all that remained of a hapless bunny, perhaps one Spike chased into the path of the van.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 11:57
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 11:48
The thing I don't like is when Marcel, the one of our cats who is the most dominant and "macho" of them all kills a bird and brings it home to show it off, he does't try to eat it or anything, he just wants to show that he protects the house and he is really proud of it, we shout at him that he may not do it but we can't get too angry at him, he means it well.
That's the call of nature not his fault...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 11:36
Yeah, I'm not the biggest photographer - in fact I never ever take pictures, but I'd love to share with you guys my feline friend Speedy, who is about 10 years old now - eats wood, watches TV, chases butterflies though only to kill - never to eat, listens to avant guarde music with me - occasionally enjoying herself I gather... She is one of my best friends and about as mad as myself - which I absolutely adore about her.

Other than that, I guess you could say that I have a voluntary pet who stays outside of the house - only visiting the house in the spring and summertime, but boy does he ever like it here! This blackbird comes every year, sits in the same tree - whistles the same erratic and mad fusion ditties as the previous year, and wakes me every morning around 5 o clock. Yeah, no wonder I call him Charlie - after the great Charlie Parker. He is one mad jazz bird this one.   

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 11:30
Marvelous creatures all!Big smile

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 11:26
Really cute cats!

Here's Carmen with her 5 kittens, we only kept one of them, 4 plus the dog is enough... we know that the other 4 are well taken care of.
I was lucky to be home when she gave birth, it was really fantastic to see. The last one took a while to come out and
when he (or she, I don't know) did, it did not move at all, I thought it was born dead and felt sad, then Carmen started to lick it and push it and after a while (probably short but which felt really long) it finally started to move and he was OK. I don't have children and this must have been one of the most moving moments in my life.

Edited by Gerinski - May 06 2012 at 11:36
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 10:12
Spike:

Mouse: 
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 09:37

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 06:17
^ Thanks. Yeah, she's quite the nougat Big smile . Now, she looks sweet, but you'll be damning her and yourself if you walk her out. She's quite a rascal. 

Now, did you put the cat into the bowl yourself or ... ? LOL

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 05 2012 at 06:32
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 06:08
Dayvenkirq, Harper's really cute and looks sweet!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 05:56
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

the adorable alarm just went off in my house, thanks a lot !

Yeah their fondness of getting into boxes, baskets and pots makes for very cute images

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 05:52
Fat cats are indeed the best, though we feed both ours the same amount, and in fact the other (thinner) cat eats more by pushing the other out of the bowl or hogging.

Guess they're just like people...some are just bigger than others
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 05:50
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I have a cat named TJ. He's the cutest thing ever and is the most important thing in the world to me. He's about 3 human years old now. Although today we had to pop an abscess/infection in his ear with an exacto knife (yes, it was satrilised), and I hated doing that so much. Well, luckily my dad did that, but I was right next to him and it made me cry a little. We squeezed the puss out and put some poroxide on it and now he's doing fine.
Well that's part of loving them, same as with people, if you love them you have to be there for the good and for the bad.
Our cat Lola was born with a problem in her eyes and a couple of years ago I had to take her to the clinic to have one eye removed, I was very sad not the least because the vet said that the other eye would probably develop the same problem and would eventually have to be removed as well. She assured me that cats can still live happily without both eyes but it made me really sad.

Luckily so far the remaining eye is still fine, and she is now much better than before removing the eye, when we could clearly see that she was in pain (the eye swelled a lot and made pressure in her skull). Now she's got only one eye but she plays and looks happy again, and I love her all the same if not even more.

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 05:20
Gerinski, you've got quite the family there Big smile . Real assortiment. 

Anyway, I've got two on my mind ... on my mind 'cause they aren't really mine, so technically they aren't really pets, but they do feel like members of my family. But hell ! , I'm an animal lover too, which is not to say that I love animals more than y'all put together ... but maybe I do Big smile Smile .

Here's Harper, my step-daddy's dog (posing innocently after my mother stupidly left a door open and Harper "jumped like a bullet" ... and then came back when mom found her):

She's got this white stripe on her neck just below the chin, a stripe my mom refers to as "like that of a tigress". I swear I'll get a better angle when the opportunity comes a-knockin'. My mother took the pictures.

Also, there is Clown. She lives in the car-and-truck shop of my step-daddy's work facility. I let her do all sorts of ... I'm pretty sure the admins and mods are tired of me using the word "s$%t", so I'll just go with crap ... I let her do all sorts of crazy crap, like smell my mouth, eat my yogurt, etc. 

Before and after a head massage:

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 09 2012 at 14:10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 03:10
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

the adorable alarm just went off in my house, thanks a lot !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 26272829>