Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny Procol Harum lovers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Procol Harum lovers?
    Posted: July 15 2005 at 05:23

Procol Harum. Not an unknown band, mind you, but always a but underrated in progland. The band name was derived from a dog's name if I'm not mistaken, and that dog's name meant "Far away from these" < --- that's procul harum in Latin, if my Latin is still okay  .

There have been a few threads about whether they were progressive or not. Well, they're in PA now, so now they're OFFICIALLY labeled as progressive   .

So, having said, that leads us to a more interesting question: do you like or even love Procol Harum? I do: their first 7 albums are very good, I think. I didn't check out later albums yet.

Their classic sound was developed in:

Procol Harum ('67)

Shine On Brightly ('68)

A Salty Dog ('69)

They became more radically experimental in:

Home ('70)

Broken Barricades ('71)

They did a live album with an orchestra:

Live In Concert With The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra ('72)

They returned to their classic sound in:

Grand Hotel ('73)

The last one, although retrogressive, is my favourite at this moment, although I like all of the albums I mentioned above. Their 8th album, Exotic Birds And Fruits, is supposed to be good too.

Something I have on my mind: I always felt that Genesis' Supper's Ready was very strongly influenced by In Held Twas In I, their magnificent epic from the album Shine On Brightly. In general, because of the almost religious matter that was covered in both songs, a bit tongue in cheek but still serious, and more specific: Willow Farm as a comedy track within the more serious epic Supper's Ready, which reminds me very much of Twas Teatime At The Circus  in In Held Twas In I. What are your thoughts / feelings about that?

Edited by Moogtron III
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 06:57

I like their early work quite lots! The band was quite succesful in Finland at the 60's, and you can find their albums easily from any major CD store around here. My favourite albums from them are "Home" and the orch.live from 1972.

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

...procul harum in Latin...

I have few times seen their name written in this way. This would explain this "spelling error".

Quote I always felt that Genesis' Supper's Ready was very strongly influenced by In Held Twas In I, their magnificent epic from the album Shine On Brightly. In general, because of the almost religious matter that was covered in both songs, a bit tongue in cheek but still serious, and more specific: Willow Farm as a comedy track within the more serious epic Supper's Ready, reminds me very much of Twas Teatime At The Circus  in In Held Twas In I. What are your thoughts / feelings about that?

Sounds logical.  Never thought about it earlier...

Edited by Eetu Pellonpää
Gluonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 07:06
I really love them!Salty dog is one of my favorite songs ever!And 'In Held Twas in I' is one of the greatest prog epics ever!!And what about "Repent Walpurgis"!!!!I always put this one in my prog complilations!IMHO   PROCOL HARUM  are superb!!!!
...But my dreams are for dreaming and best left that way-and my zero to your power of ten equals nothing at all...
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 10:28
For me they were just the band that played ' A whitershade...' ,until  I got nearly their entire backing catalogue last year and they have become one of my favourite bands especially the outfit with Mathew Fisher. A great mixture of Soul, Classic and then some... and one of  the best Organ sounds.My favourite record is 'Shine on brighly'. 
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

beterdedthnred4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 11:43
I have their first 4 albums and Live in Edmondton (spelling?) and I can't get enough.

Quite Rightly So is one of the most perfect songs ever written
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 13:27
Yes, I think Procol Harum were one of the first progressive bands, along with The Nice, and made some incredibly good and consistent albums- their first 8 albums are all brilliant, and 'A Salty Dog' and 'Grand Hotel' are two of my favourite prog songs ever, being very elegant and sophisticated.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 08:01

I never owned any of their early stuff.

I got 'Exotic birds and fruit',which is not very experimental,but with tight songwriting though.

Shake & bake.
Don_Frog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 11:35
I have a couple of their albums.  They're not my favorite band, but I play them from time to time.  They did some good stuff.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 19:31
Never liked Salty Dog, always preferred mine with onions and chillies. Seriously a fine band who are often underrated, usually i'm fighting against bands being named prog but these guys are A1. Definitely prog.
plodder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 19:33
Saw them live many years ago.

Worst. Show. Ever.

No heart or emotion. Simply awful.

Sorry.
Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 19:37
Yes I like Prool Harum.  I am even more of a Robin Trower fan.  I love his first five albums, ecspecially "Bridge of Sighs.  What a guitar player.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 21:47

Procol Harum. Not an unknown band, mind you, but always a but underrated in progland. The band name was derived from a dog's name if I'm not mistaken, and that dog's name meant "Far away from these" < --- that's procul harum in Latin, if my Latin is still okay  .

There have been a few threads about whether they were progressive or not. Well, they're in PA now, so now they're OFFICIALLY labeled as progressive   .

So, having said, that leads us to a more interesting question: do you like or even love Procol Harum? I do: their first 7 albums are very good, I think. I didn't check out later albums yet.

Procol Harum ('67)

Shine On Brightly ('68)

A Salty Dog ('69)

Home ('70)

Broken Barricades ('71)

Grand Hotel ('73)

The last one, although retrogressive, is my favourite at this moment, although I like all of the albums I mentioned above. Their 8th album, Exotic Birds And Fruits, is supposed to be good too.

Something I have on my mind: I always felt that Genesis' Supper's Ready was very strongly influenced by In Held Twas In I, their magnificent epic from the album Shine On Brightly. In general, because of the almost religious matter that was covered in both songs, a bit tongue in cheek but still serious, and more specific: Willow Farm as a comedy track within the more serious epic Supper's Ready, which reminds me very much of Twas Teatime At The Circus  in In Held Twas In I. What are your thoughts / feelings about that?

Well, I have some of their albums, and they are good.

Yes, I agree. "Supper`s Ready" has  influences from "In Held Twas in I". I only have listend to the live version of this song in their "Live with the Edmonton..." album.

If you are interested in a very good website dedicated to Procol Harum:

http://www.procolharum.com/

There is the story of their name and the meaning of their name in Latin, among a lot of things.

Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 22:18
never heard that band!Confused
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
ldlanberg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 22:50

I like just everything I've heard from Procol Harum. I'd always thought about purchasing some of their Lps - just never have. They were a serious art rock group who never lost their perspective; never fell off-the-edge by tinkering with extended nonsense . Good, concise drama with a backbone.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 10:19
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Procol Harum ('67)

Shine On Brightly ('68)

A Salty Dog ('69)

Home ('70)

Broken Barricades ('71)

Grand Hotel ('73)

Yes, I agree. "Supper`s Ready" has  influences from "In Held Twas in I". I only have listend to the live version of this song in their "Live with the Edmonton..." album.

There is the story of their name and the meaning of their name in Latin, among a lot of things.

Thanks!  That's a great site, and also interesting what's been told about their name. 

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:23

I have all the albums except Broken Barricades ... if you haven't heard Exotic Birds And Fruit, you're in for treat Moogtron, it contains one of my favourites PH tracks ever in As Strong As Samson, and also has a number of other interesting pieces like Thin Edge Of The Wedge. I consider to be the strongest of the post-Trower albums ...

Procol's Ninth also has some great songs ... Pandora's Box and Fool's Gold come to mind ... and although Something Magic is definitely a bit flat compared to the other PH album it also has its moments ... the title track for one ...

I don't know whether or not the two reunion albums are worth getting ... Prodigal Stranger (in the early 90s and The Well's On Fire (2003) are more about sentimentality than they are about great progressive music ... 

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 23:27
great band

In Held Twas I (1968) and Whiter Shade of Pale (1967) are monuments of the genre as much as anything else.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 06:21
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

I have all the albums except Broken Barricades ... if you haven't heard Exotic Birds And Fruit, you're in for treat Moogtron, it contains one of my favourites PH tracks ever in As Strong As Samson, and also has a number of other interesting pieces like Thin Edge Of The Wedge. I consider to be the strongest of the post-Trower albums ...

Thanks, that sounds really good!

MANTICORE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 15:45

Procol harum ..!! rules.!!!!

The Beatles
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 00:57

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Procol Harum ('67)

Shine On Brightly ('68)

A Salty Dog ('69)

Home ('70)

Broken Barricades ('71)

Grand Hotel ('73)

Thanks!  That's a great site, and also interesting what's been told about their name. 

Yes. It is a great site, and it is not their official website, it is a Fan Website!

I have a book called "Pete Frame:The Complete Rock Family Trees". he says that Procol Harum came to Mexico to play some concerts in 1975 because the then President of my country asked them to come here! My brothers and some cousins went to one of their concerts here in 1975. I was 10 years old, and I didn`t go because at that time Rock concerts were not safe as there were riots! The now defunct Goverment`s TV channel broadcasted songs from the concerts in two parts (two one hour programmes) also in 1975. My brothers said that the President`s sons liked Procol Harum!

(By the way, this ex-President was recently under investigation for some crimes done during his goverment period; of course, like one ex-President of one South American country, he was  almost "absolved"  ; his prosecutors still can appeal the  judge`s decision).

Edited by Guillermo
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>