Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre The Flower Kings a christian band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:54
Rednecks of America..............building benches the world around
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:30
Thanks for the news, slowpoke. 
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:00
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> ...
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:33
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> ...

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:34
^I have always wondered about that. Quite irritating.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:36
I agree, I was also mocking the absurdity of this thread.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^I have always wondered about that. Quite irritating.
The Jester is using (a possibly outdated) NetDefender (or BitDefender) firewall and it's inserting extraneous text.
What?
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:08
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I actually read somewhere that Roine Stolt basically thinks all religions are cool, but it was an interview I read a long time ago so he could've changed his stance since then I guess.  But all the same - it's no reason to get mad.  After all, Christians listen to music from people who aren't Christian, so why is it such a bad thing for you to listen to music by a Christian?  Oh, how awful of him to write about something he cares about....

Yeah I'm a Christ follower and listen to much secular music. I love Opeth (staunch atheists) and Cynic (mysticism stuff), for their wonderful music. Mainstream CC is just very bland musically and don't care for the vocals but hey its about the lyrics and they're always solid. I'm so grateful that Neal Morse exists, because got the lyrics and yes the prog epicness. He's my favorite. But I have way more secular records, the Christian music I listen are the reachrecord rappers like Lecrae, Trip Lee, and others (love them), Christian metal, some selected mainstream CC, dc Talk, and of course Morse.

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Ancient Tree Ancient Tree wrote:

happy now 

No, I'll never be happy until I shoot someone's eye out with that bb gun. Wink

I do have disdain for the asses who profess to be Christians but don't practice it.  You can look their god right in the eye.  It is unfortunate that they are the most prominent representatives.

And it is unfortunate and I apologize for anyone who has been hurt by those claiming to be Christians or Christians who weren't following Christ in that moment and hurt someone. Being a Christian myself , I too hate hypocrisy in our body. But down to the core aren't we all (everyone) hypocrites? But anyway.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:17
This is beside the point a bit, but yo know how everyone says "You don't have the be Christian to enjoy The Messiah" ? Well, yeah, but have you actually ever sat through it in concert? I like music as much as anyone, and I do enjoy a bit of classical every now and then, but yeesh. I mean if it changed and had a huge variety of things going on for 3 hours, then it might be better. But it all sounds kinda the same to me. Not a bit opera fan.

I should probably not even try Wagner's Ring cycle...

I guess what I'm trying to say is Allahu Akbar God is Great.,
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 18:06
TFK being a Christian band doesn't really make a difference, really. I certainly don't enjoy much of their music, but that's mostly because I think they're cheesy (whether that is a direct side-effect of them being a Christian band, I'll probably never know for sure).

But bands like Woven Hand and 16 Horsepower are Christian and I think they're fantastic and inventive. 

I personally don't understand Christianity and I am myself athiest, but I think, for the most part, music speaks for itself regardless of the religion believed by its creators. 

I just kind of skimmed this thread, so I have no idea if what I said is even relevant at all.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:07
They're an not an American band
They're an not an American band
They're not comin' to your town
They'll not help you party it down
They're an not an American band Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:15

and about religion : i always have bad experience with religious people,in my townwe have bunch of rednecks from USA whos/their) mission is to spread their stupid believes in my town (cuz our countrie was under communist regime pha right they even dont know what communism is)They rape us (kids,older people,...) with their ideas,in schools,outside,they build benches with religious text on it,...

And im pretty sick of it,this is why i hate really hate hate religion and people who believe in supernatural imagery friends.

And i know that there are also nice people that beleave in god but their numbers arent so big

"Dogs are barking Sancho, a sign that we are advancing"
The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha

Iván

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:17
Going straight away to burn all my TFK albums.  Thanks for that hot off the presses info.  Can't wait for your next news flash.  Hoping it will be confirmation for me that the sky is indeed blue.  Wink

It's always been pretty obvious to me that TFK are quite  a spiritual band with Christian leanings.  That doesn't bother me at all, I also like Iona who have a similar Christian/spiritual sound.  As long as it isn't preachy, I don't mind it.  It's only when the lyrics start to get preachy (e.g. some of Neal Morse's solo output) does it turn me off. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Going straight away to burn all my TFK albums.  Thanks for that hot off the presses info.  Can't wait for your next news flash.  Hoping it will be confirmation for me that the sky is indeed blue.  Wink

It's always been pretty obvious to me that TFK are quite  a spiritual band with Christian leanings.  That doesn't bother me at all, I also like Iona who have a similar Christian/spiritual sound.  As long as it isn't preachy, I don't mind it.  It's only when the lyrics start to get preachy (e.g. some of Neal Morse's solo output) does it turn me off. 

This

Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 19:54
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Yep, someone whose views you don't agree with is capable of creating music you like (that's scary- but only for a closed mind)
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 20:17
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

ClapClapClap   *brofist*

I'm glad to see more Iona fans out there.  They almost never get talked about here, and yet they've made some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.  
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 21:29
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

This is beside the point a bit, but yo know how everyone says "You don't have the be Christian to enjoy The Messiah" ? Well, yeah, but have you actually ever sat through it in concert? I like music as much as anyone, and I do enjoy a bit of classical every now and then, but yeesh. I mean if it changed and had a huge variety of things going on for 3 hours, then it might be better. But it all sounds kinda the same to me. Not a bit opera fan.

I should probably not even try Wagner's Ring cycle...

Messiah is not an opera. It is an Oratorio. Geek

Yes, don't try Wagner's Ring. It's sublime but if you can stomach a short oratorio like Messiah....

Anyway, on topic, now that Stonebeard mentions classical music, all I can say is: my favorite compositions by the guy in the left in my signature, my favorite musician of all time, are all heavily religious. That doesn't make them any less amazing. 

What if TFK are religious? Good for them! 

I'm an agnostic, I guess, but sometimes I feel the world needs more, not less, religious fervor. 
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 21:32
I doubt that they have a Christian "agenda," but the fact that their music has a strong theme of love and compassion and whatnot a) doesn't automatically make them Christian and b) really doesn't matter. Just listen to the music dammit.

Pretty sure any objective discussion here has ended, this is just going to end in another religion/atheism thread.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 22:10

and about religion : i always have bad experience with religious people,in my townwe have bunch of rednecks from USA whos/their) mission is to spread their stupid believes in my town (cuz our countrie was under communist regime pha right they even dont know what communism is)They rape us (kids,older people,...) with their ideas,in schools,outside,they build benches with religious text on it,...

And im pretty sick of it,this is why i hate really hate hate religion and people who believe in supernatural imagery friends.

Lets see:
  1. You hate Communism because they raped and killed in your country, well I don't have too much sympathy for them because Shining Path did the same in my country
  2. You hate rednecks from USA because they don't know what Communism is. (???)
  3. You hate religious people (opposed to Communism essentially) because you hate people who have imaginary friends...If I'm not wrong, I hate because I hate is a logical fallacy called  circular reasoning.
  4. You hate evangelism (Well I'm not a fan of this either, but not remotely hate people who believe they are doing God's work)
The only question I have is: ¿Who or what  you don't hate?

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>