1 [8.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enchant
    Posted: July 10 2012 at 10:06
Here is a band that does not get much attention around here.  I only have one album and I think it is incredible.  What is Enchant's best album?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 13:46
I don't know which is best, it's all subjective, they've never released a bad or weak album anyway. 
I can't vote for now, I have to choose between the debut, Break and last album which are my favourite these days. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 13:47
I've not listened to them in quite awhile, but I like them.  Not sure that I can pick a favorite without giving them all a fresher listen. 
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:36
^ this Thumbs Up
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:46
'A blueprint of the world' is very Marillionesque, and truly a good companion to fish-era Marillion, albeit more dynamic. Steve Rothery is featured on some tracks. A 5-star album in my book. it showcases the skills of their drummer, Paul Craddick.

'Wounded' is more prog-metal oriented than its predecessor (say, Vanden Plas meets Rush). This is a very "elegant" album, more "mature" than the previous one. Another 5-star album. Another album I would recommend in this same vein is Altura's 'Mercy'.

'Time Lost' is a collection of previously unreleased songs, the first four songs very melody-oriented, recorded around the 'Wounded' sessions, and the last three at the time of 'Blueprint of the world', more technical-oriented. They are all excellent. A best of both worlds in other words. This is the one I give the more plays.
'Break' was somewhat a disappointment after the previous two gems. It is a blend of pop and grunge. I sold my copy after a few listens and don't keep good memories, although some tracks were quite decent.

'Juggling 9 or dropping 10' saw them even more pop-oriented, with the grunge factor dropped. It is a good album, nice to listen to on a sunny day, Ted Leonard's vocals are impressive and the music is "light". One complaint maybe : the pompous keyboards, especially on "paint the picture". A good companion to this album is Paul Craddick's project Xen, the album '84000 Dharma doors', featuring all his Enchant mates. This was the last album with the great Paul Craddick.

'Blink of an eye' is more aggressive than 'juggling' and the very first to feature their new drummer, Sean Flanegan, more "classic" sounding than Paul. Benignus is not there anymore as well. Enchant continue to give a melodic approach to their music, but the balance with prog elements is now fair anew, especially on the instrumental track. It features prog-metal songs in between more sweet pop songs. Doug Ott provides some virtuosic solos and Ted still shines with stunning vocals.

'Tug of war' is in the same vein as 'Blink of an eye', a blend of pop, neo-prog and prog-metal.

Before joining Enchant, Doug played in a short-lived AOR-oriented band, Chapter, not bad, but recorded with a very bad sound. Could appeal to fans of Saga. Doug's typical signature was alreday present.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:49
It's been a long time but i know i liked the earlier albums much better than the later ones. I'll need to re-visit as well.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:57
wow, i forgot how hated is Break around here...Ouch
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 15:10
I only know 'Tug Of War' and liked it very much some years ago .. I do remember ...
and have Live at Last DVD, which is excellent imo

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 15:28
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

I only know 'Tug Of War' and liked it very much some years ago .. I do remember ...
and have Live at Last DVD, which is excellent imo

you really need some Craddick drumming, I strongly recommend 'Time Lost' for that matter :

Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 15:54
A Blueprint of the World.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 17:07
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

'A blueprint of the world' is very Marillionesque, and truly a good companion to fish-era Marillion, albeit more dynamic. Steve Rothery is featured on some tracks. A 5-star album in my book. it showcases the skills of their drummer, Paul Craddick.

'Wounded' is more prog-metal oriented than its predecessor (say, Vanden Plas meets Rush). This is a very "elegant" album, more "mature" than the previous one. Another 5-star album. Another album I would recommend in this same vein is Altura's 'Mercy'.

'Time Lost' is a collection of previously unreleased songs, the first four songs very melody-oriented, recorded around the 'Wounded' sessions, and the last three at the time of 'Blueprint of the world', more technical-oriented. They are all excellent. A best of both worlds in other words. This is the one I give the more plays.
'Break' was somewhat a disappointment after the previous two gems. It is a blend of pop and grunge. I sold my copy after a few listens and don't keep good memories, although some tracks were quite decent.

'Juggling 9 or dropping 10' saw them even more pop-oriented, with the grunge factor dropped. It is a good album, nice to listen to on a sunny day, Ted Leonard's vocals are impressive and the music is "light". One complaint maybe : the pompous keyboards, especially on "paint the picture". A good companion to this album is Paul Craddick's project Xen, the album '84000 Dharma doors', featuring all his Enchant mates. This was the last album with the great Paul Craddick.

'Blink of an eye' is more aggressive than 'juggling' and the very first to feature their new drummer, Sean Flanegan, more "classic" sounding than Paul. Benignus is not there anymore as well. Enchant continue to give a melodic approach to their music, but the balance with prog elements is now fair anew, especially on the instrumental track. It features prog-metal songs in between more sweet pop songs. Doug Ott provides some virtuosic solos and Ted still shines with stunning vocals.

'Tug of war' is in the same vein as 'Blink of an eye', a blend of pop, neo-prog and prog-metal.

Before joining Enchant, Doug played in a short-lived AOR-oriented band, Chapter, not bad, but recorded with a very bad sound. Could appeal to fans of Saga. Doug's typical signature was alreday present.
so many reviews in a nutshell ClapClapClap, will follow up
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 17:30

This is the one I have and love.  I bought it when I was 18 and did not even know who Enchant was.  I bought it based on the cover art.  Embarrassed

But I love it when it's so good.  Approve
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 17:37

What grunge in "Break" are you talking about? I don't get it. 
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 19:14
I've only listened to the first album and liked it. Unfortunately i haven't found much material around the internet
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 20:28
I have the first three and the latest.

Blueprint: Probably the best.  Not as Marillion sounding as others claim, though!  Heavy without being metal; and also quite melodic.
Wounded: Wow was I disappointed when I first got this one.  I thought they had turned into yet another bad Dream Theater clone.  And I even like DT.  I think Ted's voice sounded quite different than on the first album.  Nonetheless I have come to like it.  But not as much as Blueprint.
Time Lost: Probably their most "classicly proggy"; especially the last half.  My second favorite.
Tug of War:  Another disappointment at first.  (Strangely, my favorite song was the live version of "Below Zero", which was originally on Wounded).  Seemed too AORish.  But I've also grown to like it as well.

Thanks for starting this thread.  Looking forward to a new album after such a long break!
By the by, Paul Craddick is one of progs finest drummers.  Too bad he left the band!!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
IbanezzDream View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 00:59
Amazon Mp3 has a pretty good selection.

I'm a big fan of everything Enchant has put out, but I do admit that Break and Juggling 9 or Dropping 10 get the least amount of playing time, while Blueprint of the World, Blink of an Eye and Wounded get the most. The latter 3 albums also feature some of all time favorite Enchant songs: Pure, Look Away, Below Zero, Oasis, Seeds Of Hate and My Everafter. 

Does anyone have any news regarding the new album initiative? 

Forward Shapes
Melodic Prog featuring Marco Minnemann and Alison Vance.
Seeking reviews for 1st album!
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 04:08
Time Lost is my favourite Enchant Album. Funny that it is only a collection of previously unreleased material, but turns out to be their Masterpiece (at least in my opinion)
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 15:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

the title track sounds grungy in the chorus.

And this review is also confirming this fact (I kept only the sections highlighting the grunge influence) :

Review by Cesar Inca
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Heavy Prog Team
4 stars[...]There may be a slight flirtation with standardized melodic rock and grunge-like guitar riffing in places, [...]From then on, things begin to get a bit average wih the sequence of tracks 4-7: the hints to the new closeness to pop-rock and/or grunge are more evident in these items. The same goes for the very sentimental 'Once a Week'[...]
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 15:06

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

the title track sounds grungy in the chorus.

And this review is also confirming this fact (I kept only the sections highlighting the grunge influence) :

Review by Cesar Inca
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Heavy Prog Team
4 stars[...]There may be a slight flirtation with standardized melodic rock and grunge-like guitar riffing in places, [...]From then on, things begin to get a bit average wih the sequence of tracks 4-7: the hints to the new closeness to pop-rock and/or grunge are more evident in these items. The same goes for the very sentimental 'Once a Week'[...]

Grunge like riffing? what does that even mean? The guitar work does not remind me of any grunge works, not Alice in Chains, or Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, you name it. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 19:22
My favourite three are A Blueprint Of The World, Wounded and Break. I went with Break with the debut second. I have the debut with the bonus cd.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>