Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIgnored guitarists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these largely ignored guitarists do you like best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.82%]
17 [50.00%]
2 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [11.76%]
8 [23.53%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 19:00
Holmes for me as well.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 04:15
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Probably the IQ guy, but I've never really been terribly impressed by IQ, or most Neo Prog for that matter. Mike Holmes is still a great guitarist though, in his own right. Thumbs Up

I maintain that "Neo-prog" is not really a genre in its own right, despite it being listed as such on here. It's just a continuation of symphonic prog by bands that started after the first wave died. Stylistically, there's no difference.

While some bands definitely straddle the line between neo and symph, they are two distinctive styles.  Neo has a tendency to be more song-oriented, with more emphasis on melody than on complex time signatures and chord changes.  Neo also has less focus on extended soloing. 

Given that IQ play in all sorts of complex time signatures and use complex chord structures as well as soloing frequently and extensively, they surely fall into symphonic then.

Just because PA uses the term neo-prog to define a genre (and some other prog forums don't accept it) doesn't mean it's right. Martin Orford particularly hates the term; I think he knows what he's talking about.

I heard Marillion regularly referred to as a neo-prog band way back in 1984, long before there was a PA.  That is a long-accepted term applied to several bands which arose in the late 70's/early 80's and played a more accessible style of symphonic prog.  Many neo-prog musicians hate the term.  It doesn't mean that isn't what they're playing.  Wink

Thank you for making my point so eloquently. Neo-prog was a term applied in the early 80s to the new wave of (post-punk) prog bands. It referred to their newness, not their style. Now they are no longer "new", so the label is redundant and inexact.

It's like one of my old universities, St Andrews; they built a hall of residence in the early 90s and called it New Hall. 20 years on, they realise that it ain't new anymore so they're renaming it Agnes Forbes Blackadder Hall. We probably need to reassimilate the neo-prog bands into their correct stylistic categories (because even Marillion and IQ are quite different in many ways), though frankly I am not genre obsessed; I just hate obvious inexactitudes.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
The-Winkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 04:53

All cool guitarists but my vote goes to Mike Holmes, seen them live 3 weeks ago and his playing is phenomenal...Smile

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 07:07
No contest for me, Mick Rogers is an incredible guitarist, I love every second in his playing with the Earth Band.
He is totally overlooked that's for sure.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 10:15
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

No contest for me, Mick Rogers is an incredible guitarist, I love every second in his playing with the Earth Band.

That was the whole point of this poll!

There are too many great bands and musicians who never feature on here because this forum is obsessed with certain bands WAY beyond their real importance/historical popularity. In my local prog group MME are considered extremely important and Rogers is highly rated, as also are Strawbs and BJH.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 11:24

There are too many great bands and musicians who never feature on here because this forum is obsessed with certain bands WAY beyond their real importance/historical popularity. In my local prog group MME are considered extremely important and Rogers is highly rated, as also are Strawbs and BJH.

I'm glad to hear that since I've talked about Rogers several times here but found no appreciation.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 14:33
I must admit with regard to MMEB I focus on Vocals first and Keyboards second and never thought about the guitarist. I always thought it was a guy called 'Davey'LOL
anyway did Rogers play on the album version of Blinded By The Light? If so then he deserves more attention than he gets.

Edited by richardh - July 30 2012 at 14:33
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 15:03
I think John Lees is the most unique sounding of this lot. All others, good as they may be (and some are really excellent) all sound generic or emulate previous guitarrists.
Bigger on the inside.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 15:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I must admit with regard to MMEB I focus on Vocals first and Keyboards second and never thought about the guitarist. I always thought it was a guy called 'Davey'LOL

anyway did Rogers play on the album version of Blinded By The Light? If so then he deserves more attention than he gets.

Actually no he's not, it's Dave Flett on guitars which he is pretty good indeed, at first I didn't notice a change in style only later on I noticed Rogers is not there anymore.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 20:45
There are so many ignored guitarists that could be included on this list, but I think Mike Holmes has never been given his due. He's a fine player and one that is tasteful and always knows exactly what to play and what not to play. Some guitarists just don't know when to keep quiet. Holmes is also someone who doesn't worry about being in the limelight. I always thought Mike Holmes should do some solo recordings, but I guess he's just way too busy with IQ.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 03:22

So in you're local group these popular prog related rock bands are considered extremely important. I'm pleased that on PA the truly progressive rock bands are considered the most important. And that popuarity is of less relevance. 

But of course: although once quite popular, (much like Peter Frampton or Gilbert O' Sullivan) BJH's music has practically no relevance in the 00's. Quite the opposite of say... VdGG. 
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 06:55
Obviously it is Dave Lambert as he hasn't received a vote yet!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 08:59
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Going with Rogers here. He had such a big hand in developing that special groove the Earthband fuelled in the 70s.

Absolutely, Rogers shines ! If you have any doubts , check out his solo on Visionary Mountain , a classic sizzle of momentous feel. 

I actually voted for Mike Holmes, being a huge IQ fan, but all these guitarists are indeed criminally underrated.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this clip for a brief musical interlude in the discussion:

Wonderful!!!
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 09:04
Voted for Johnny Fean. I saw him live and he was excellent.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 15:20
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Voted for Johnny Fean. I saw him live and he was excellent.

I've seen him 10 times and he's ALWAYS been excellent!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 15:31
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

So in you're local group these popular prog related rock bands are considered extremely important. I'm pleased that on PA the truly progressive rock bands are considered the most important. And that popuarity is of less relevance. 

But of course: although once quite popular, (much like Peter Frampton or Gilbert O' Sullivan) BJH's music has practically no relevance in the 00's. Quite the opposite of say... VdGG. 

"prog related rock bands"

Please do not talk such codswallop. All these guitarist's bands were amongst the archetypal progressive/progressive folk bands in the 70s (except of course IQ and MA, who are also undeniably prog) and I know because I've been a prog fan since c1968. All of them are just as progressive as VDGG and BJH in particular were considered to be amongst the inventors of the genre, alongside King Crimson, Traffic, The Moody Blues and others.

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 15:42
Speaking of yet another ignored guitarist is Alan Morse of Spock's Beard. I've read a thread here where a member doesn't like his distortion tone but he's got A LOT of effects and not just one distortion sound. He is constantly changing his effects: chorus, flangers, phasers...you name it. Anyway, I think he's a very technically accomplished guitarist and knows what and when to play. I was listened to SB's Snow earlier and was amazed at how good he sounded. Sure some of his outbursts are wacky, but they add another dimension to SB's overall sound. Much like Alex Lifeson adds so much color to Rush's music.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 31 2012 at 15:42
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 17:21

I know because I've been a prog fan since c1968. 

lol
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 17:39

BJH in particular were considered to be amongst the inventors of the genre, alongside King Crimson, Traffic, The Moody Blues and others.

Not bad for a band that released their largely ignored psychpop debut sometime in june 1970. I thought by then prog was "invented" and had already moved far beyond what BJH were releasing years later. But maybe you know something I don't?
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 18:17
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

BJH in particular were considered to be amongst the inventors of the genre, alongside King Crimson, Traffic, The Moody Blues and others.

Not bad for a band that released their largely ignored psychpop debut sometime in june 1970. I thought by then prog was "invented" and had already moved far beyond what BJH were releasing years later. But maybe you know something I don't?

Yes, obviously I do. I saw them in Manchester in 1968 (well before they released their first album) and they were clearly progressive in the same way Floyd were about the same time. And they'd been going for at least a year by then. Their first album was somewhat different from what they'd been doing before that and was largely dictated by their label, but it was hardly psychopop with tracks like "When the World was Woken" or "Dark now my Sky", was it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>