Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larks' Tongues 40th Anniversary edition coming
    Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:45
^ Ok! Party Could whip this out after some days following the album data policy threads, unless somebody else does it first. Reviewing will take longer then Big smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 04:28
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

^

I wonder if Snow Dog looking for the album data standards should be consulted, would any information of the 40th anniversary releases be mentioned in the archives album page?
Adding all material possibly would mess the page, but mentioning release codes in the album release information might be one solution?

Been doing a bit of research in old threads. Seems like these super extended re releases should get their own  entry in  "boxsets"
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 23:09
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

This is hilarious- this guy is rich and buys all prog box sets so watch him and his knife he affectionately calls Swissie open up the Crimson box set

while you are at it watch him open up tons of other prog box sets on his channel - lucky British progger!

lololololol
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 04:45
^ Yeah, I understand that the improvs might not be most interesting for listening, though admit I got immersed to them personally quite strongly. "That feeling when you realize you like listening Providence more than Starless on Red's b-side" Wacko

If not charmed by the non-rational curls of musical interaction locks flowing on the aether, there would be left of finding out how the compositions were borne from some of these jam, how the composed songs developed, and which might have been best version. For most of the 72-74 compositions, I think the best live versions were on 73-74 era after Muir, allowing some nice variations to the arrangements and melting open blows as part of the written material, like you stated.
This kind of anecdotes however I believe would not justify the purchase of the 15 disc box.

I wonder if Snow Dog looking for the album data standards should be consulted, would any information of the 40th anniversary releases be mentioned in the archives album page?
Adding all material possibly would mess the page, but mentioning release codes in the album release information might be one solution?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 18:46

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^ now that type of box set I'm more into cause it's not an over saturating the material on just one album. I really like King Crimson, but I don't love them. Still would consider the 21st century Guide 4 discer. Sounds great. Love Massive, big colorful books containing lots of reading material. Reminds me of IQ's 25th anniversary box set of the WAKE album. Great set as well. 4 disc with a 65 page booklet. Another one is JUDAS PRIEST''s METALOGY. Excellent sets.

I personally did not felt this box oversaturating the album, as the majority of contents are from live gigs containg much improvisations, not relating to the album compositions.However I agree the question of "loving" this group or more specifically this line-up is essential when considering spending the money.I didn't like so much the albums before 72-74 line-up, but spent my first decade of adulthood after military service listening intensively to these fellows and the 80's Levin/Belew productionline. Smile

The thing is, I'm not too fond of improvs either. They may be interesting for listening once, or as back layer music, but not really much to enjoy. I think improvisations may be good as a means to composing music, or sometimes adding a different touch to an already existing song (which KC did often, actually).
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 11:19

Yeah heres my own personal King Crimson collection to on youtube
This vid features box sets of 21st Century Guide to King Crimson Volumes 1 and 2 featuring lavish detailed booklets.
It features also other CDs that I acquired over the years. sadly no vinyl. 
enjoy my Aus pommy accent wont you
Now you know me even betterBig smile

"we won't talk about ASIA"

I have the album IN THE COURT and RED in 5.1 surround. Pick up the 40th special editions of those. Steven Wilson did the remastering. Absolutely great. Lizard is on my spending list next!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 11:07

Please Santa
I will be a good boy  if you deliver down my chimney the three Rush Sector box sets
Yours proggingly and in hope
Scott ACR

I would love to have a copy of SIGNALS in 5.1!!! If the sectors box set had 5.1 recordings for all albums that would be a dream come true. Unfortunately these rush sets might. It be worth it for me considering I have high quality digital copies of all the albums. Those booklets look great!! Geez. I'm torn!!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 06:41
Yeah heres my own personal King Crimson collection to on youtube

This vid features box sets of 21st Century Guide to King Crimson Volumes 1 and 2 featuring lavish detailed booklets.

It features also other CDs that I acquired over the years. sadly no vinyl. 

enjoy my Aus pommy accent wont you
Now you know me even betterBig smile

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - November 08 2012 at 06:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 06:25
Looks also as fine box from Rush. I'll try desperately to twist the thread to the original topic by related yuotuba spam Party

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 04:42
Hey Rushaholics go here to see my Rush collection video - lots of fun

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 02:52

LOL rich bugger
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 02:42
Please Santa
I will be a good boy  if you deliver down my chimney the three Rush Sector box sets

Yours proggingly and in hope

Scott ACR

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - November 08 2012 at 02:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:25
god I love RUSH!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:12
Larks is a great album i own but i lose interest between the sandwhiched epics. these song in the meat of it are ok but not masterpiece tracks.

i will keep my eye open for ebay copies that are cheaper over the ensuing months.

however i am still saving for Rush Sectors. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:03

^ now that type of box set I'm more into cause it's not an over saturating the material on just one album. I really like King Crimson, but I don't love them. Still would consider the 21st century Guide 4 discer. Sounds great. Love Massive, big colorful books containing lots of reading material. Reminds me of IQ's 25th anniversary box set of the WAKE album. Great set as well. 4 disc with a 65 page booklet. Another one is JUDAS PRIEST''s METALOGY. Excellent sets.

I personally did not felt this box oversaturating the album, as the majority of contents are from live gigs containg much improvisations, not relating to the album compositions.However I agree the question of "loving" this group or more specifically this line-up is essential when considering spending the money.I didn't like so much the albums before 72-74 line-up, but spent my first decade of adulthood after military service listening intensively to these fellows and the 80's Levin/Belew productionline. Smile

You know, I think what I said may have been a bit unfair and unreasonable to say where I commented on the LARKS 40th box set being an overly saturated. I mean if someone really LOVES the LARKS album so much, then of course this box set is worth it. I also, for example, bought the 25th anniversary THE WAKE album as I mentioned above and that album box set had a ton of material of live recordings, studio vocal/instrumental outtakes and demos. I loved it all. I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical. Anyway, above all you should buy this box set if you LOVE the album, not just like it or your $$ goes down the toilet.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 23:53

I personally did not felt this box oversaturating the album, as the majority of contents are from live gigs containg much improvisations, not relating to the album compositions.
However I agree the question of "loving" this group or more specifically this line-up is essential when considering spending the money.
I didn't like so much the albums before 72-74 line-up, but spent my first decade of adulthood after military service listening intensively to these fellows and the 80's Levin/Belew productionline. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 18:28
^ 5.1 Mix!!! You have to get a sound system to play your music in that format! I'm telling you it's a night and day difference. You may pee yourself a little. It's incredible. ;)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 18:24

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yeah. Still, I think the Genesis box-sets (specially the live one) are really worth getting, because you're getting many albums in one box-set, plus rarities and so. However, with this Larks box-set, you're getting only one album, and for me it's too much money for just one album. I would sooner have bought the Pink Floyd ones, but in the end it was the same story, too much money for just one album, while there are so many other albums I haven't heard yet that I want to buy. I mean, I could get something between 5 and 15 new albums for the price of this box-set. Now, about the 2007 concert missing from the Genesis live box-set, I think I read that they reasoned that since that album had just been released, many people would already have it, so they just left it out of the box-set (even though they left the space so you can place the 2007 album that you "already" had in it). As a matter of fact, it was just the case with me, I had just bought the 2007 album when I learned about the box-sets, and I would have given it more thought about buying the box-set if I had already gotten an album from it (but in the end I guess I would have bought it anyway because of the extra album that you can't buy separatley).

hey man. Great point. It is just one album, but if you really love it you would get it. I personally don't adore it enough to buy it, so I'll probably pass. As for the Genesis Box set it is worth every penny for me. I think SECONDS OUT LIVE IN 5.1 is worth it on its own it's so good , but yeah I felt exactly like you did where by if I already had one of the albums in the box set would I buy it? Maybe buy them all seperately? It's possible. Anyway, it worked out perfectly and I'm glad it did so for not just me, but you as well. Enjoy my friend! Also, what's your favourite disc out of the 11? Mine is the SECONDS OUT in 5.1. Geez that's sounds bloody awesome !!

I guess my favourite album on the set would be Live at the Rainbow. The 5.1 I guess, for it has more songs (though I'm afraid to say I haven't gotten an audio sistem to hear the 5.1 mix . Or else, I might consider both Live at the Rainbow and Genesis Live as one same double album, for they don't repeat songs. The thing is, I liked most of the songs better on this live versions because of the power of the playing (specially Collins drumming) and because I didn't find Gabriel as annoying. Though I really hate that Firth of Fifth doesn't have the piano intro, and the mid "funny" section of Supper's Ready was rather ruined (otherwise, I also like this version of Supper's Ready better).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 11:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 06:19
If the Crims bring out a RED box set I am in it. I like Larks Tongue but not sure if i want heaps of versions of it - tho this is a magnificent box set. they should pay that guy on youtube as he sold it to me easily. 

I have a box set of the Crims they I adore here

and here

They are awesome boxsets with 4 discs in each and massive booklets compiling the history of the band. Both have live 2 live CDs that interested me and lots of snippets from their collection, there are previously unreleased things but its all good.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>