Topic ClosedLarks' Tongues 40th Anniversary edition coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 23:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

However, as far as I understood, they won't even have a full concert on video, only one song.

One song?  Here, I just saved everyone a fortune!!  Personally, I think this collection will be "the bomb!"  I've avoided many of the collectible stuff over the years, but this one will get serious consideration!!  

I saw this band live (without Muir), the free-form jamming was remarkable!  David Cross playing dueling Mellotrons with Bob Fripp etc.   Peter Frampton was the warmup band!!  A good time was had by all!  

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 19:31
Oh, I wish that concert was fully available on DVD, it sounds really great. Unfortunatley this is not among my favourite songs from them... but if only "Easy Money", "Exiles", "The Talking Drum / Larks part 2" were available in video, with just this line-up, it would be amazing. Don't know what else they could have been playing, I don't know if Starless was aready in their set-list so early, or if they were still playing something from the previous albums... perhaps Schizoid Mand at least?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 23:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Oh, I wish that concert was fully available on DVD, it sounds really great. Unfortunatley this is not among my favourite songs from them... but if only "Easy Money", "Exiles", "The Talking Drum / Larks part 2" were available in video, with just this line-up, it would be amazing. Don't know what else they could have been playing, I don't know if Starless was aready in their set-list so early, or if they were still playing something from the previous albums... perhaps Schizoid Mand at least?

Yeah, I remember them doing "Schizoid Man" in the encore at the Chicago show (Kinetic Playground, 1972, without Muir).  Wetton was just amazing!!  

The band jammed a LOT as I recall, they were young, strong and very much into the band chemistry!!  This was a powerful ensemble.....I think that some marvelous sounds will be found in this collection.  

The two "Midnight Special" performances used to be up on Youtube, I can't find them.  However, this is representative of the band I saw.... I was 18 years old back then, these guys were really just kids!! 

Edited by cstack3 - August 16 2012 at 23:30
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 10:59
Big smileBig smileThis was worth every second of waiting and every penny I'll spend on it Big smileBig smile

MY IDOLS
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 10:53
Up for preorder now.  Just bought the box set :-)
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 10:54
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/

looks like only 7,000 of these world-wide

Edited by rushaholic - August 18 2012 at 11:18
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 07:48
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/

looks like only 7,000 of these world-wide

Video listed as:

Video feature: 

1. Improv: The Rich Tapestry of Life 
2. Exiles 
3. Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part One 

Certainly got me interested even though we all probably have the last track.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 07:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Yeah, I remember them doing "Schizoid Man" in the encore at the Chicago show (Kinetic Playground, 1972, without Muir).  Wetton was just amazing!!  

The band jammed a LOT as I recall, they were young, strong and very much into the band chemistry!!  This was a powerful ensemble.....I think that some marvelous sounds will be found in this collection.  

Extremely jealous of you seeing them live.

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The two "Midnight Special" performances used to be up on Youtube, I can't find them.  However, this is representative of the band I saw.... I was 18 years old back then, these guys were really just kids!! 

These tracks are another of the Anniversary editions, hence their disappearance from youtube I expect.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 10:45
I'm holding out for the 50th anniversary edition. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 16:08
From DGMLive...

"This boxed set contains every known live performance
and studio recording by that band.

CD 1 & 2: October 13th 1972 Live at the Zoom Club, Frankfurt (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as KCCC20

CD 3: October 17th 1972 Live in the studio, Bremen (mono)
Previously only available as KCCC3

CD 4 & 5: November 10th 1972 Live at the Technical College, Hull (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as a download from DGMLive

CD 6: November 13th 1972 Live at the Civic Hall, Guildford (audio restored soundboard)
Previously only available as KCCC24

CD 7: November 25th 1972 Live at New Theatre, Oxford (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as a download from DGMLive

CD 8: December 1st 1972 Live at Green's Playhouse, Glasgow, (audio restored bootleg)
Previously unreleased

CD 9: December 15th 1972 Live at the Guildhall, Portsmouth (audio restored bootleg)
Previously unreleased

CD 10: January 1973: "Keep That One, Nick" - The Larks' Tongues In Aspic Recording Session Reels: Taking the form of an audio documentary & placing the listener in Command studios in early 1973 as the quintet maps out the material destined for the album produced by David Singleton. Featuring first takes of every piece recorded for the album interspersed with studio talk between band members & engineer

CD 11: January/February 1973: The original album mix 30th Anniversary Edition, The US Promo EP (transferred from vinyl) and the US radio advert

CD 12: January/February 1973: Alt Mixes: Steven Wilson's alternative Larks' Tongues In Aspic plus David Singleton's Session Reel Essentials

CD 13: January/February 1973: Larks' Tongues In Aspic, new stereo mix, mixed by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp

Disc 14: DVD-A: Complete album in 5.1 MLP Lossless & DTS Surround Sound album mix.

38 minutes film performance of the band never previously been released or screened, Original album 30th anniversary mix, 2012 alternate takes & mixes in 24/48 hi-res stereo, 2012 stereo mix in 24/48 & 24/96 hi-res stereo

Disc 15: Blu-Ray: Content as per DVD-A with all stereo gtracks in 24/96 hi-res plus hi-res stereo of "Keep That One Nick", hi-res mono tracks "Live in the studio", 24/96 transfer of original vinyl pressing, film footage of band performing "Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part I" as originally broadcast on Beat Club TV programme

plus

36 page booklet with photos, timeline/diary, transcript of extensive Robert Fripp interview conducted by David Singleton (July 2012), new essay by King Crimson historian Sid Smith and more.

Print of original album sleeve, individual band member postcards, reproduction of UK tour handbill, reproduction of Rainbow Theatre, London concert ticket stub.

Downloadable Content: see back of reproduction of Rainbow Theatre London concert ticket to obtain the concert from that venue as an exclusive download - listener beware - audio for this show is of such poor quality as to be beyond meaningful restoration and is included solely for historic purposes.
"
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 16:19
I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but...for the ones that have been previously released how is the sound quality of the recordings?
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 22:45

I'm trying to figure out the audio quality of the recordings out as well. $140 is a major investment! Here's what I know so far. I'll try to keep this updated. Anything quoted is what I was told by someone - as of now, it's from the user "jeffo" when I asked this question on Progressive Ears. Unfortunately he was the only one to respond to my question.

Any links to dgmlive.com lead to 30-second audio samples of each track. Of course, these samples are frequently in a section of the song of little interest.

CD 1&2: "Zoom Club (2 discs). B/B- quality audience recording. Vocals are kinda muffled, but that's okay since there are only a couple of vocal tracks, with very incomplete lyrics that Wetton clearly hasn't learned yet. Jamie is tough to pick out in the mix at times."   

CD 4&5: Hull, Technical College. DGM gives it 3/5 stars for audio quality. "B quality audience. Better quality than Zoom."   

CD6: Guildford Hall.    

CD7: New Theater, Oxford. DGM gives it 3/5 stars for audio quality. "I seem to recall the quality of this one to be very [high] quality (the band's performance was top notch too)" http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=248

CD8&9: Previously unreleased, so quality is unknown.

Ongoing discussion of the King Crimson releases at stevehoffman.tv; hopefully some info about audio quality will pop up there. One member suggests that "if you have to ask about audio quality, you probably don't want it."

Edited by Kestrel - August 19 2012 at 23:12
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 00:08
Ooh, this one's going to be good. Larks' is one of those albums that requires and demands excellent sound, due to all the musical congestion and little subtleties that must be heard, so I'm really looking forward to this one. The 30th Anniversary Edition sounds decent, but I feel that the album is definitely getting what it deserves with a package of this size. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 01:01
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the audio quality of the recordings out as well. $140 is a major investment! Here's what I know so far. I'll try to keep this updated. Anything quoted is what I was told by someone - as of now, it's from the user "jeffo" when I asked this question on Progressive Ears. Unfortunately he was the only one to respond to my question.

Any links to dgmlive.com lead to 30-second audio samples of each track. Of course, these samples are frequently in a section of the song of little interest.

CD 1&2: "Zoom Club (2 discs). B/B- quality audience recording. Vocals are kinda muffled, but that's okay since there are only a couple of vocal tracks, with very incomplete lyrics that Wetton clearly hasn't learned yet. Jamie is tough to pick out in the mix at times."   

CD 4&5: Hull, Technical College. DGM gives it 3/5 stars for audio quality. "B quality audience. Better quality than Zoom."   

CD6: Guildford Hall.    

CD7: New Theater, Oxford. DGM gives it 3/5 stars for audio quality. "I seem to recall the quality of this one to be very [high] quality (the band's performance was top notch too)" http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=248

CD8&9: Previously unreleased, so quality is unknown.

Ongoing discussion of the King Crimson releases at stevehoffman.tv; hopefully some info about audio quality will pop up there. One member suggests that "if you have to ask about audio quality, you probably don't want it."

I always ask about audio quality because I want it. Wink

But thanks for the reply.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 18:39
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

LTIA boxset... mmmmm.

I finally pre-ordered the boxset today from The Burning Shed.... this is the most excited I've been in a while.Big smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:29
I still find it odd to buy a boxset for only one album that contains just about as many CD's as if one were buying their complete discography. Plus paying just as much too. I would very much rather complete my KC discography than buy this. I believe they should just have released the remasters, plus perhaps some bonus tracks, and then release the best performance (or a 1 or 2 CD compilation of the best performances) as a separate live album. That's just about the same I thought about the Pink Floyd re-releases.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 19:30
But then again, many of you are really excited about this, so I guess in the end Fripp and co know exactly what they are doing.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 23:48
Thank you for the detailed list of the contents Phil, should help with purchase decision.
Andy, the price was bit over 100€ for the 13CD edition here in Finland.
Apollo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 20:11
Extremely excited for the video part!  Smile

It'll probably be the video version of the Beat Club Bremen KCCC release, right? 
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 12:12
Got the box today. Wow, have to admit that the vinyl-sized box for discs and the booklet + posters and thingies appear wonderful. There are also download codes for poor-audio quality Rainbow Theatre gig included. I think absorbing all this will take time and be worth the money Party
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>