Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLarks' Tongues 40th Anniversary edition coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 08:51
I wish I could justify spending $130 for this.  Lark's is my favorite KC album of them all, and my copy has been missing for years.  I just simply don't have that kind of money to spend, especially since I need to re-purchase everything from Lark's onward.  This sounds like a great box though, so my interest may yet get the better of my pocketbook.......
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 08:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

However, as far as I understood, they won't even have a full concert on video, only one song.

One song?  Here, I just saved everyone a fortune!!  Personally, I think this collection will be "the bomb!"  I've avoided many of the collectible stuff over the years, but this one will get serious consideration!!  

I saw this band live (without Muir), the free-form jamming was remarkable!  David Cross playing dueling Mellotrons with Bob Fripp etc.   Peter Frampton was the warmup band!!  A good time was had by all!  

What's crazy is that I saw this video on MTV back in probably 1985 or so.  I had no idea what to make of it since I had never heard of King Crimson back then.  Needless to say, it didn't cause me to go out and look for their stuff (I was into Cheap Trick and the Scorpions back then, with Led Zeppelin being the closest thing to prog I liked) LOL

It does demonstrate just how far that channel has fallen over the years though...............
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 17:51
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

Got the box today. Wow, have to admit that the vinyl-sized box for discs and the booklet + posters and thingies appear wonderful. There are also download codes for poor-audio quality Rainbow Theatre gig included. I think absorbing all this will take time and be worth the money Party

ShockedI thought it would be coming out Oct. 29th
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 18:59

I still find it odd to buy a boxset for only one album that contains just about as many CD's as if one were buying their complete discography. Plus paying just as much too. I would very much rather complete my KC discography than buy this. I believe they should just have released the remasters, plus perhaps some bonus tracks, and then release the best performance (or a 1 or 2 CD compilation of the best performances) as a separate live album. That's just about the same I thought about the Pink Floyd re-releases.

I agree.  Why do I need 15 different copies of the same 6 songs and live video footage of Robert Fripp brushing his teeth, along with a special replica of the toothbrush he used on the tour?  Of course, there's an extra improv on each disc, but still.  I'll save my $120 for the BOC box set which includes all their albums up through Imaginos plus some rarities.  I was also thinking this about Peter Gabriel's So, which is getting a similar treatment, except that his has CDs of him constructing the songs.  Do I really want to hear Peter Gabriel humming the first strains of the newborn Sledgehammer while taking a bath?  I think not. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 00:08
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Got the box today. Wow, have to admit that the vinyl-sized box for discs and the booklet + posters and thingies appear wonderful. There are also download codes for poor-audio quality Rainbow Theatre gig included. I think absorbing all this will take time and be worth the money Party

I wonder if the release date was changed earlier by agreement, or the some stocks started distributing them to local vendors too early?
The gig on Zoom club was 13th Oct 1972, so I think the earlier distribution does not ruin the 40th anniversary celebration however.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 02:13
I will get it. I'm a sucker for big music purchases. Quite simply, I can't put a price on great music. 100$? So be it. I'll get the remastered cd set.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 15:07

I wonder if the release date was changed earlier by agreement, or the some stocks started distributing them to local vendors too early?
The gig on Zoom club was 13th Oct 1972, so I think the earlier distribution does not ruin the 40th anniversary celebration however.

What a drool fest... you made me drool into my coffee! Oh to have money to throw away on this.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 15:10
This is hilarious- this guy is rich and buys all prog box sets so watch him and his knife he affectionately calls Swissie open up the Crimson box set

while you are at it watch him open up tons of other prog box sets on his channel - lucky British progger!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 18:45
Bah hee hee hee hee
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 18:51
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

This is hilarious- this guy is rich and buys all prog box sets so watch him and his knife he affectionately calls Swissie open up the Crimson box set

while you are at it watch him open up tons of other prog box sets on his channel - lucky British progger!

I watch this guy on youtube all the time. LOL

Anyway, finally received the box set in the mail today. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2012 at 18:59

It's a meal and a half!

Looks great though. Probably thee most through box set I've ever seen. I've got many, but not one like that. You gonna get it?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 02:07

What a drool fest... you made me drool into my coffee! Oh to have money to throw away on this.

Smile Thank you Scott, I was sensing some sort of "pics or did not happen" effect, and had to proof the early purchase. Party 
I also enjoyed the youtube viedo you sent, and have carefully unwrapped the box.
Beat Club video is inserting, giving visual presence to the KCCC CD. I also enjoy the aggressive Zoom club +40 min improvs, which I had already heard from evil bootleg (tm), now this crime solved by paying Fripp & the co. justifiyingly from their great work.

I say it's worth of the money if one is into this stuff, and I wonder will there be something similar out from the "Red" in 2014?

EDIT: watching the youtubefellow cut the box open in 00:22-00:25 made me think how many times he has cut to his hand earlier, if not learned (or being very lucky?)

Edited by Eetu Pellonpää - November 06 2012 at 04:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 07:13
^^ I spent 112$ on the GENESIS LIVE BOX SET 1973-2007 and I found it extreamly worth it except their was no 2007 live over Europe included which makes no sense at all, but I already have it; in fact I bought it the year it came out so no big there. Anyway, if that was 07 live album was included I'd give it a 5/5. On the other hand, THE LARKS TONGUE looks like a 6/5!!!!! That's an amazing set, so my point is its worth the money. :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 18:50
Yeah. Still, I think the Genesis box-sets (specially the live one) are really worth getting, because you're getting many albums in one box-set, plus rarities and so. However, with this Larks box-set, you're getting only one album, and for me it's too much money for just one album. I would sooner have bought the Pink Floyd ones, but in the end it was the same story, too much money for just one album, while there are so many other albums I haven't heard yet that I want to buy. I mean, I could get something between 5 and 15 new albums for the price of this box-set. Now, about the 2007 concert missing from the Genesis live box-set, I think I read that they reasoned that since that album had just been released, many people would already have it, so they just left it out of the box-set (even though they left the space so you can place the 2007 album that you "already" had in it). As a matter of fact, it was just the case with me, I had just bought the 2007 album when I learned about the box-sets, and I would have given it more thought about buying the box-set if I had already gotten an album from it (but in the end I guess I would have bought it anyway because of the extra album that you can't buy separatley).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 22:32

Yeah. Still, I think the Genesis box-sets (specially the live one) are really worth getting, because you're getting many albums in one box-set, plus rarities and so. However, with this Larks box-set, you're getting only one album, and for me it's too much money for just one album. I would sooner have bought the Pink Floyd ones, but in the end it was the same story, too much money for just one album, while there are so many other albums I haven't heard yet that I want to buy. I mean, I could get something between 5 and 15 new albums for the price of this box-set. Now, about the 2007 concert missing from the Genesis live box-set, I think I read that they reasoned that since that album had just been released, many people would already have it, so they just left it out of the box-set (even though they left the space so you can place the 2007 album that you "already" had in it). As a matter of fact, it was just the case with me, I had just bought the 2007 album when I learned about the box-sets, and I would have given it more thought about buying the box-set if I had already gotten an album from it (but in the end I guess I would have bought it anyway because of the extra album that you can't buy separatley).

hey man. Great point. It is just one album, but if you really love it you would get it. I personally don't adore it enough to buy it, so I'll probably pass. As for the Genesis Box set it is worth every penny for me. I think SECONDS OUT LIVE IN 5.1 is worth it on its own it's so good , but yeah I felt exactly like you did where by if I already had one of the albums in the box set would I buy it? Maybe buy them all seperately? It's possible. Anyway, it worked out perfectly and I'm glad it did so for not just me, but you as well. Enjoy my friend! Also, what's your favourite disc out of the 11? Mine is the SECONDS OUT in 5.1. Geez that's sounds bloody awesome !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 06:19
If the Crims bring out a RED box set I am in it. I like Larks Tongue but not sure if i want heaps of versions of it - tho this is a magnificent box set. they should pay that guy on youtube as he sold it to me easily. 

I have a box set of the Crims they I adore here

and here

They are awesome boxsets with 4 discs in each and massive booklets compiling the history of the band. Both have live 2 live CDs that interested me and lots of snippets from their collection, there are previously unreleased things but its all good.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 11:08
^ now that type of box set I'm more into cause it's not an over saturating the material on just one album. I really like King Crimson, but I don't love them. Still would consider the 21st century Guide 4 discer. Sounds great. Love Massive, big colorful books containing lots of reading material. Reminds me of IQ's 25th anniversary box set of the WAKE album. Great set as well. 4 disc with a 65 page booklet. Another one is JUDAS PRIEST''s METALOGY. Excellent sets.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 18:24
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

hey man. Great point. It is just one album, but if you really love it you would get it. I personally don't adore it enough to buy it, so I'll probably pass. As for the Genesis Box set it is worth every penny for me. I think SECONDS OUT LIVE IN 5.1 is worth it on its own it's so good , but yeah I felt exactly like you did where by if I already had one of the albums in the box set would I buy it? Maybe buy them all seperately? It's possible. Anyway, it worked out perfectly and I'm glad it did so for not just me, but you as well. Enjoy my friend! Also, what's your favourite disc out of the 11? Mine is the SECONDS OUT in 5.1. Geez that's sounds bloody awesome !!

I guess my favourite album on the set would be Live at the Rainbow. The 5.1 I guess, for it has more songs (though I'm afraid to say I haven't gotten an audio sistem to hear the 5.1 mix . Or else, I might consider both Live at the Rainbow and Genesis Live as one same double album, for they don't repeat songs. The thing is, I liked most of the songs better on this live versions because of the power of the playing (specially Collins drumming) and because I didn't find Gabriel as annoying. Though I really hate that Firth of Fifth doesn't have the piano intro, and the mid "funny" section of Supper's Ready was rather ruined (otherwise, I also like this version of Supper's Ready better).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 18:28
^ 5.1 Mix!!! You have to get a sound system to play your music in that format! I'm telling you it's a night and day difference. You may pee yourself a little. It's incredible. ;)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 23:53
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^ now that type of box set I'm more into cause it's not an over saturating the material on just one album. I really like King Crimson, but I don't love them. Still would consider the 21st century Guide 4 discer. Sounds great. Love Massive, big colorful books containing lots of reading material. Reminds me of IQ's 25th anniversary box set of the WAKE album. Great set as well. 4 disc with a 65 page booklet. Another one is JUDAS PRIEST''s METALOGY. Excellent sets.

I personally did not felt this box oversaturating the album, as the majority of contents are from live gigs containg much improvisations, not relating to the album compositions.
However I agree the question of "loving" this group or more specifically this line-up is essential when considering spending the money.
I didn't like so much the albums before 72-74 line-up, but spent my first decade of adulthood after military service listening intensively to these fellows and the 80's Levin/Belew productionline. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>