Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArriving Somewhere...A Steven Wilson Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 18:55
Huge PT/Steven Wilson nutcase reporting for duty!

Have loved the band ever since I discovered them about four, five years ago. I've collected all their albums, and have got most of SW's other material too (Blackfield, No Man, IEM, Bass Communion, Storm Corrosion, and solo). 

Fear of a Blank Planet is my favourite PT album, though I love them all.
GfD is my favourite solo album, though Insurgentes is good too

My favourite SW related tracks are hard to classify, he's got so many good songs

Arriving Somewhere
Anesthetize
Time Flies
Russia on Ice
Raider II
Harmony Korine

Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 20:11
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I like Porcupine Tree....all of their albums.
I like Steven Wilson solo efforts. It took me seeing him live last April to fully appreciate GFD, I always liked Insurgentes.
I like Blackfield a lot....I cannot sit and listen to Storm Corrosion, its background music for me.

I like that Steven Wilson is an analog guy too, all the PT, SW vinyl I have is musically better than any CD or Digital I have.

WTF? Even the very first studio album? Shocked

Well, some (in face, many) people value Wilson's "experi-mentality" over the quality of musicianship and songwriting; obviously, you - and I - prefer to see both.  

You can trace gradual progression in musicianship throughout the 90's, culminating in Lightbulb Sun. That's how far Wilson had been able to travel with his then-PT team. 

Replacement of Maitland with Harrison added a much-needed dimension to the sound and texture of PT to match the advances in their creativity. It signified a quantum leap in their musicianship and  opened new horizons for the band. Where Maitland used to simply hit his kit with sticks to maintain rhythm, Harrison came in and started sculpting uniquely lush, complex world-class music (IMHO). 

If you listen and compare to Shemovedon on Deadwing vs. on Lightbulb Sun, the difference is almost unbelievable. On Lightbulb Sun is sounds thinnish, bleak and lightweight. On Deadwing, only 4-5 years later, it's a mighty symphonic ballad... huge difference.   

The only thing I disagree with you here is considering Lightbulb Sun their peak in the 90's, I believe that was Sky Moves Sideways, followed by Signify (and in Up the Downstairs' case, the bonus disk on the rerelease is, IMHO, better than most of the original album); their britpop phase isn't really that much to my liking, even though it's some decent pop prog.

Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 03:15
I really liked some of the tracks on On the Sunday of Life Tongue
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 17:01

The only thing I disagree with you here is considering Lightbulb Sun their peak in the 90's, I believe that was Sky Moves Sideways, followed by Signify (and in Up the Downstairs' case, the bonus disk on the rerelease is, IMHO, better than most of the original album); their britpop phase isn't really that much to my liking, even though it's some decent pop prog.

WADR, I don't see how the latest albums of PT would have anything to do with Britpop (as in Oasis, Blur, Pulp and the rest of it), but I wouldn't care if they did.  

Music doesn't have to be pedigree prog to be great. I don't have a prog fetish. I will listen to any kind of music, provided it's imaginative (but not too weird!), professionally executed and carefully recorded/mixed. 

I can't listen to more than 10-15 minutes of pre-Lighbulb Sun PT ... I do have 120 minutes of this stuff on Stars Die, but I don't even have a favorite song on it. We have been asked not to criticize PT in this thread, so I'll blame myself for this lack of chemistry:)  

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 17:07
^ I think Caio meant (only) Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun were "Brit Pop" (ie alt rock) albums.
What?
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 17:13
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

We have been asked not to criticize PT in this thread, so I'll blame myself for this lack of chemistry:)  

No, no, no, you've got the idea all wrong here. This thread welcomes criticism, but it doesn't welcome people who obviously don't like Wilson or any of his projects and they use this thread as a platform for their unwarranted negativity.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 17:59
I remember liking 'stupid dream' when it aired on a metal (yes, metal) radio broadcast. But I don't really like Wilson's "less is more" way of singing and having once bought 'lightbulb sun' I was so disappointed that I sold it.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 18:57

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I like Porcupine Tree....all of their albums.
I like Steven Wilson solo efforts. It took me seeing him live last April to fully appreciate GFD, I always liked Insurgentes.
I like Blackfield a lot....I cannot sit and listen to Storm Corrosion, its background music for me.

I like that Steven Wilson is an analog guy too, all the PT, SW vinyl I have is musically better than any CD or Digital I have.

WTF? Even the very first studio album? Shocked

A lot of it yes.......but only after appreciating later albums first.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 16:19
I think Deadwing and Grace for Drowning are his best... I like In Absentia, but I can skip a few tracks when I listen to it... Deadwing is one of those few albums where I absolutely love every single song off it.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 08:08
The AllAboutJazz website is offering a free download of Steven Wilson's song Sectarian off of his live album Catalog/Preserve/Amass.  http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/jazzdownload.php?id=7972
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 08:30
Fear of the Blank Planet is one of the best modern (90s++) albums, in my opinion (haven't heard much of these, to be honest).
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 09:03
I'm considering getting the new Wilson DVD.  I got the PT "Anesthetize" one, but I get kind of frustrated (as I do with a lot of modern concert films) with all the weird grainy visual effects, "artsy" camera angles, rapid jump-cuts, and overall resistance to the idea of just letting me see what the band looks like on stage playing the songs.  Is the Wilson DVD similar, or is it more traditionally shot?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 10:39
It's prolly going to be the same. I'm not sure what you're referencing to about the grain effects though. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 10:44
My mistake -  I went back and checked and the "grainy effects" were on a different DVD I've seen recently.  I guess it's the jump cuts, not staying on one image for more than 1-2 seconds, that bugged me.  

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 10:47
Also on that subject, one time we set up a single camera to film a performance of my band, and when I was watching it with the other guys, one of them commented that we are too boring and static on stage.  But I replied that's just because we don't have a zillion camera angles jumping out and in all the time, creating the illusion of motion, like most live DVDs have.  The cameras try to inject more excitement into the stage activity than there probably really is.  I think it kind of detracts from the experience, but that's just the way it is.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 30 2012 at 10:49

-Kehlog Albran
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2012 at 10:55
^ I think that's more a question of opportunity - often stages at smaller venues are too small to move more than a few steps before you do an impromptu stage-dive into the mosh pit (or at least the area where a mosh pit would be if enough people turn up).
What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 16:01

After a while, where my music have been drifting in quite diffrent directions, think I was a bit fed up with Grace... after the live show. It was great but i just had too much. Anyway im listning to Deadwing right now, and its just a fantistic album. Approve

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123