Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopol Vuh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 18:10
^ Now that you've really underscored it, I'm getting it now.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2012 at 14:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Florian Fricke Interviews from 1996

Thanks Dean ... shameless plug for the link!

I wish that we could do an interview of Archie himself ... because he is insane, and his knowledge of music is amazing and he is so very independent ... I'll see if I can get this done for PA ... he deserves a strong mention in the history of all progressive music. And he is still sharing it around!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
watermouse View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 22:39
last cd i bought by popol was Shepherds symphony 1997 (2004 reissue)

Popol Vuh - Short Visit At The Great Sorcerer

trance tune

Edited by watermouse - October 25 2012 at 22:41
zhengyi23 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hey I'm a Chinese-American Spam.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2012 at 20:59
Dear, again in the valentine's day.I don't know how many of you have me to your chocolate, but I see clearly...This year I can send--to reduce weight tea? And I'm a Chinese-American spambot sorry. (edited by DX)

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 26 2012 at 22:05
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 16:36
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

For the record: I've never quite bought into this whole "spirituality and religious experience" thing. Never been into religion, but I don't have to be in order to enjoy their music.

I actually agree.

The real problem is that there are way too many folks out there doing stuff under the auspices and the name of this and that, and the spiritual'ness of it all is just a set of words or lyrics, and not really anything else.

For example, YES's TFTO is one of the most spiritual things ever written that I have ever seen, or heard. It is no different than reading the Bardo, the Popol Vuh (the book!), and many others. However, because it was here at the time of rock music and some popular music, it is not thought of as this at all, but as something else ... that more folks find a way to trash, then appreciate good work.

Jon Anderson's Olias in SunHillow is the same thing ... quite out there ... but we have a problem here ... it's folks thinking that "religious" music has to have an ORGAN ... loud and clear and if it has pipes all the better ... that makes it "religious" and that is one of the most bizarre and silly ideas ever devised ... so now comes something where the folks are heavily into meditation and internal work, and they create something ... and no one knows about it, because the most internal and spiritual folks, don't usually talk about it ... it's a personal trip ... but we, as an "audience" (and a PAYING audience for that matter) always feel that you can't do this, because you MUST know what day and hour Jesus came and went and what happened to believe it, 2k years after terrible translations and ideas and mis-translations ...

In general, from what I understand, if you are innerly centered, regardless of how you do it -- I believe arts are no different than a "religion", btw -- it doesn't matter what your medium is ... you will do whatever makes sense to you ... and no one will understand it anyway ... this was the case with so many of them, going all the way back to the Summerian days ... and nobody believed them and even persecuted many of them because they were "thinkers" that were against the feudal lords with their words! It's still like this today - except in America and England we use a board like this one and state that there is no opinion, or reality ... there is only a database! ... you have to draw your own conclusions, even if you are not centered enough!

Yeah ... as some mystic said, everything you ever wanted or needed is right in front of you if you ever want to reach for it! Unfortunately, you have been told that you need so many CD's and crystals, and books and people saying that it is good in PA for you to know the difference! Someone's individual experience is not important to you, to learn how to figure it all out! This is what my tagline is about, in case you didn't notice it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Doomstoner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 21:01
The music is very fitting for Herzog's Nosferatu! Great film and soundtrack.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2012 at 18:27
Originally posted by Doomstoner Doomstoner wrote:

The music is very fitting for Herzog's Nosferatu! Great film and soundtrack.

And there is other music in the film as well, including Wagner.

Of all the films he did music for, none fit the film better than "Aguirre", which actually had Florian compose something that Werner used a lot, with the long cut on side 2 of the LP. And used very well, to help you feel the anguish, the fear and everything else.

There is a line in the Florian interview that is fun and far out for me ... and it was about Werner going into the closet, picking up some tapes and next week he would come around ... look Florian, I have a film!

So if you think that one image/idea influences the other, here is the opposite ... some music helped Werner see things though it that he went out and immediately put together a story around it ... and the whole thing is soooooo "krautrock" that it is insane. It's the free-form-ness of the creativity of the work ... you don't think twice ... you do the work ... and you can evaluate and edit later and add/subtract anything that you wish. But in general, from film, theater and writing experience, you always KEEP about 90% of the original ... because that is where the color, the vision and the detail is ... and you pretty much only fix a couple of words here or there! With Werner, and Klaus Kinki (the krautrock of acting!) ... it was all free form and his camera catching as much as possible! Now tell the the difference between Florian's forays into his vision and experiment, Guru Guru's early albums, Werner Herzog's early films (remember one of his first films was about Amon Duul 2!), Wim Wenders camera and photographs, Peter Handke and his word "plays" and many other folks that became famous in Germany for their work.

And unlike others, even Klaus Schulze is appreciated in his land, and Edgar Froese gets an evening with an orchestra that does his work! ...

And we just do top ten!
www.pedrosena.com
Sergey Lenkov View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:29
Thank you Guldbamsen for reviving this topic!
It seems for me that Popol Vuh is much underrated project.
I think that there was no single album of which you could say - This is Popol Vuh's The Dark Side of the MoonSmile And there's no Greatest hits album which could plug you into the heart of PV's music.
The style and sound dramatically changed through the years, very strong compostion or song on the album could be followed by the boring one. For the listner who likes Affenstude - Das Hohelied Solomon or Shepherd's Symphonie could be the big surpriseLOL
Hosianna Mantra is very imressive and fragile but you should also listen to Aguirre or to In Den Garten Pharao to get more or less starting impression of the music by Popol Vuh.
The sad thing - there are only fansites as popolvuh.nl or eurock.com which could give additional information about PV (much thanks themSmile).
The article of Gary Bearman about Transendental music of PV is informative, but sometimes is not quite correct.
Gary labels the albums Spirit of Peace/For You and Me as New Age/ambient music - did Gary ever listened to real New Age/ambient music to understand the difference between "Spirit of Peace" by PV and Deuter/Kitaro and the relaxation music?
Gary do right in other thing - there's ritualistic element in Popol Vuh music which was much developed and much more manifested in the music by modern ambient musicians - Klaus Wiese (he tought Florian Fricke to play Oriental instrument tampura), Robert Rich (Temple of the Invisible), Oophoi or Mathias Grassow as example, but it's obviously not Spirit of Peace/For You and Me should be mentioned in this context
There are many mentions in the interviews of Florian Fricke about his work with other musicians in the 80-90s, about his last piano/ambient album, there's Kailash soundtrack, there are some bootleg concert recordings of PV - why not to publish it all officially at last?
We are buying SPV remastered editions only to find 2 different versions of the booklet with the same 2 texts in all CD digipacks.
As for me - I'm not typical PV lover.
For the first time I heard music by Florian in film Aguirre back in the 90s on TV and was much impressed, but I started to listen to PV and to buy their albums only after I had heard... The Shepherd's Symphonie.
I'm lstening much to electronic music and I was so impressed that Florian could compose light positive compostions in Deep Forest/Enigma style that I started to listen to the older olbums and did opened new world for myself.
I wrote the main part of Russian Wiki article about Popol Vuh - I believe for now it's most developed Wiki article about PV. 
Popol Vuh couldn't be fixed stylistcally into the very obvious genre, even prog is not quite adecvate term here.
I hope the more people would open for themselves the wonderful music by Popol Vuh.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 03 2013 at 14:26
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 13:51
P.S. I find CDs by Popol Vuh in one biggest music store in Moscow, but it seems strange for me that in the Web age somebody couldn't find anything in his local store. There are Amazons, Discogs, GEMM, Musicstack, eBAy etc. - and it's easy to find any official CD or LP by Popol Vuh there.

I wanted to ask you - may be someone here is having the information - Florian was frequently credited on the albums as piano player - even on those albums there you could hardly hear the sound of piano (City Raga/Sheperd's Symphonie).
Why? Did he compose the music on the piano, did he play keyboards and the keyboards were simply called "piano"?
What do you think about it?

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 03 2013 at 14:06
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 20:05
I just ordered  the Aguirre CD.  I'll prolly take it slow from there.
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 20:57
^ Yeah, that album is hard to recommend or describe. I'm not into world and chamber classical music, yet it worked for me. Something like ambient meets world music. Which version did you get? 'Cause there's like three of them.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 03 2013 at 20:58
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 23:48

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=6731943&style=MUSIC

This one. The choral synth is an amazing machine! 
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 00:34
^ Agreed.

That one has "Aguirre III" for the bonus track, and unfortunately I'm not a big fan of that one. I have two copies of this version (second one was purchased due to miscommunication). Plus, it has a version of "Vergegenwartigung" (that I really didn't fancy) that is different from the one I heard first (which I thoroughly enjoyed). But I hope you will feel differently about it.

I just don't know where I can get that one version that I love. I probably should hit Discogs.com or some place else.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 01:30
Yes, very long and boring Moog drone track "Vergegenwärtigung" on "Aguirre" is not the most interesting part of PV's music. And nobody said that all albums and tracks by PV are of the same highest quality.

On older versions of the album "Aguirre" there were tracks from other albums icluded, from "Spirit of Peace", as example
http://www.popolvuh.nl/aguirre

Old (1999) version of Aguirre is available here: http://www.discogs.com/Popol-Vuh-Aguirre/release/740361

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 04 2013 at 01:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 01:39
^ Yes, "Spirit of Peace" is ... so beyond. Mayhaps the best thing the Vuh ever did.

Looks like I'm gonna have to spend a few more bucks on the version I actually love. And hey, thanks for the link, by the way, and it's always great to hear from other Vuh fans.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 04 2013 at 01:44
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 01:51
AnytimeWinkSmile
Though it would be wise to check track list from the seller of CD.
Truely I wrote reviews of not much popular last albums by Popol Vuh with electronic sound on Progarchives.
Yes, it's hard to find real listeneres/fans of PV at all, but we are existing.
Truely in main Moscow record stores their CDs from SPV were always available for the last years.
For the starters I could recommend to start with the films by Herzog - Aguirre, Nosferatu... Arthouse and slow, meditative films but music by Popol Vuh works here ideally.
For those who researched discography by Popol Vuh very well - I could recomment to check out  two albums -
Gila "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" - project by Popol Vuh guitar player Connie Veit, but all Popol Vuh including Florian are presented on this album - more prog rock sound.
Tangeine Dream "Zeit" - track "The Birth of the Liquid Plejades" - Florian plays Moog much more impressive comparing with his own Popol Vuh tracks.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 04 2013 at 02:48
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 02:00
I do not have the energy for long drawn out responses anymore but PV represent what was so great about Krautrock and how they delievered their music to the masses. Unbelievable genius will the antiques roadshow affirm one dayApprove
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 03:01
By the way, rare situation  - on www.jpc.de  - major German Web seller - set by Popol Vuh "Werner Herzog Soundtracks" is on their top 10 best sellers list (with Deep Purple, Vangelis, Sigur Ros and pop hits)
P.S. Dayvenkirq, Ian Anderson, Florian Fricke and Barry Gibb on your icon - are the good choice of musicWinkSmile

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 04 2013 at 03:11
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 04:22

I've only been able to obtain 5 Popol Vuh LP's (always rare and expensive) but each and every one of them is a real winner.  I really love 'Einsjager/Siebenjager' and 'In Den Garten...' a lot.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 11:54
According to popolvuh.nl in September LPs by Popol Vuh would be re-released:
The Barcelona-based Wah Wah label announces the release of first five Popol Vuh albums in special editions for september. Have a look in their interesting backcatalogue in the meantime: www.wah-wahsupersonic.com
So may be you'd find something intetesting for more democraticSmile price.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>