Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopol Vuh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:33
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Where should I start with Popol Vuh? I've listened to Hosianna Mantra, but wasn't thrilled (at least on first listen).
Hosianna Mantra shows what the Vuh do best - dealing with the atmosphere in their own delicate way, painting sweet oblivion in my head. In other works they simply paint beautiful soundscapes. I guess it's a matter of time before you get into them. If not, then I guess their music isn't for everyone. Nothing mainstream about this band. There is no easy way in.

My personal favorite is their soundtrack work for Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes  (Aguirre, the Wrath of God). Others would probably point to In den Garten Pharaos.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 07 2014 at 14:37
melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

So what about you people out there - anyone into this band? 

Personal faves include:

Popol Vuh... I know it for about a year and In den Garten Pharaos is my favourite one. A masterpiece of krautrock that takes the listener in a 40-minute journey where the only limit is your imagination... That ecstasy during listenning Vuh where Florian Fricke did an awesome job on organs. I cannot describe what I feel when I listen to this album. I think is is similar to another krautrock classic by Ash Ra Tempel (we should mention that Manuel Göttsching was 19 when he recorded this piece of pure psychodelia):

I like Hosianna Mantra too. The rest posted I have on my PC and I never remember to try them, maybe today I'll do that. :D

Great taste in music dudeThumbs Up Makes me wanna put it on right now - as well as that Ash Ra Tempel album. Krautrock is my thing....big time!
If you like both Ash Ra Tempel and Manuel in his early years, then you gotta check out The Cosmic Jokers. Pretty much a who's who of the scene at the time, heavily drugged up on LSD - without any of them knowing - and then subsequently taped during some wild jams.....again without them knowing. 
Thank you Guldbamsen. For me both In den Garten Pharaos and Ash Ra Tempel give a kind of spiritual pleasure when I listen to them. Btw Amboss is a little bit sentimental for me because it is one of the first prog pieces I've ever listened to and was caused I love prog so much now. Smile Maybe a little bit weird that I began prog with krautrock but I think it was a good way for me. LOL I'll try The Cosmic Jokers soon, I'm really interested in what it is as you said it sounds a bit psychodelically.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:50
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Where should I start with Popol Vuh? I've listened to Hosianna Mantra, but wasn't thrilled (at least on first listen).

Hey Tony.

First of all, you gotta find the right mindset for PV. I find it's best listening to them late in the evening or very early in the morning. I have to be completely relaxed bordering on tired, and then I get the most out of the music. For newbies I would probably start out with Seligpreisung, Einsjäger, Salomon or Letzte Tage Letzte Nachte. Think of em as spiritual music, and you'll probably get a bit further;)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:55

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">So what about you people out there - anyone into this band? </span>
Personal faves include:

Popol Vuh... I know it for about a year and In den Garten Pharaos is my favourite one. A masterpiece of krautrock that takes the listener in a 40-minute journey where the only limit is your imagination... That ecstasy during listenning Vuh where Florian Fricke did an awesome job on organs. I cannot describe what I feel when I listen to this album. I think is is similar to another krautrock classic by Ash Ra Tempel (we should mention that <span style="color: rgb84, 84, 84; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 18.200000762939453px;">Manuel Göttsching was 19 when he recorded this piece of pure psychodelia</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">):</span>
I like Hosianna Mantra too. The rest posted I have on my PC and I never remember to try them, maybe today I'll do that. :D

Great taste in music dudeThumbs Up Makes me wanna put it on right now - as well as that Ash Ra Tempel album. Krautrock is my thing....big time!
If you like both Ash Ra Tempel and Manuel in his early years, then you gotta check out The Cosmic Jokers. Pretty much a who's who of the scene at the time, heavily drugged up on LSD - without any of them knowing - and then subsequently taped during some wild jams.....again without them knowing. 

Thank you <span style="line-height: 1.2;">Guldbamsen. For me both In den Garten Pharaos and Ash Ra Tempel give a kind of spiritual pleasure when I listen to them. Btw Amboss is a little bit sentimental for me because it is one of the first prog pieces I've ever listened to and was caused I love prog so much now. Smile Maybe a little bit weird that I began prog with krautrock but I think it was a good way for me. LOL I'll try The Cosmic Jokers soon, I'm really interested in what it is as you said it sounds a bit psychodelically.</span>

Hey no prob:)
I actually got into Krautrock before I got into prog, so we are pretty similar there. If you're interested in some really cool albums from the Krautworld, then I suggest you look up The Krautrock Space, a thread you can find if you scroll back a couple of pages in the prog bands appreciation forum (the same forum you find this thread under;).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 11:47

Hey no prob:)
I actually got into Krautrock before I got into prog, so we are pretty similar there. If you're interested in some really cool albums from the Krautworld, then I suggest you look up The Krautrock Space, a thread you can find if you scroll back a couple of pages in the prog bands appreciation forum (the same forum you find this thread under;).

In the earlier incarnations of that thread I was a part of it.

I have since dropped off it, because a lot of the stuff that is posted in there, is not related and there are times, when folks want to call "In a Gadda Da Vida", somethink like "krautrock", if I may make an analogy.

While I do not think that one improvisation makes "krautrock" and the other doesn't, there is something about the inner side of it, that is different for me. I can follow, "visually", and I know this is strange for many folks, almost ALL of the early krautrock things. I can not do so with the Iron Butterfly piece, and some of the SF thing. But I can, for example with Chicago 1 and 2, and the long cuts! Go figure.

To me, there was a certain exploration and feeling, that was important, even if the Helmut Hattler interview in PA is a bit dis-orienting for many of us, when him and Mani were stuck and Mani told him ... just play something ... which kinda tells you that even in those moments, they got stuck, but they did not panic, they continued and the results are in all of those albums.

Some of the bands listed, it's almost like new age ... we will put this here and some sound effects here and it will make people feel like they are in the beach taking in some rays ... and I don't know ... it did not feel the same for me, and I did not enjoy many of those pieces listed. Besides the fact that a choir of ladies does not make angels sing! Not even in imaginary ways!

I tend to think that, specially Popol Vuh, there was a lot more within the internal/psychic levels, that are not easy to discuss and mention and this would be very clear via Florian's wife's words, and the work itself, even if at times it seemed like he was trying out a "ritual" of some sort, to see what it came off like with this kind of music. Thus, a lot of pieces, that are being assimilated with "krautrock" , for me, come off as empty.

Now, let's take another example. Djam Karet's "The Trip" is 47 minutes long, and not for one second did I feel out of place, and to me, that was very much in the spirit of "krautrock", but it did not have the form that most folks here seem to be expecting or want. In fact, one of the things that throws people off, is that there are no beats or drums in the first 17 minutes, which is a very nice element ... stick to the trip ... it's not about the beat ... it's about the trip, and to me, this was perfect, as to what "krautrock" was, that we have forgotten, or do not see.

But I will easily accept that we all can trip differently and on/with different things. I do believe, also, that sometimes, a lot of the difference here might have been some of the drugs, because you do see something else, and that is one of the best teachers for your experience, if you do not undertake silly and socially defined stupid notions of fear and idiocy.

In the end, "krautrock" is about "experience" or as Jimi would say ... "are you experienced?" ... and many of the examples are NOT.

Edited by moshkito - May 12 2014 at 13:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 05:23
Quick (lingual) question here regarding a title of one of PV's albums. I know "jäger" means "hunter". What does "Einsjäger und Siebenjäger" mean? "Seven Hunters Led By One"? "One Hunter Against Seven"? How would it sound good in English?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 11:59
From.....http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh2.html

Einsjäger & Siebenjäger (1974)

This period of Popol Vuh contained one classic album after another, and Einsjäger & Siebenjäger ("ones Soldier & seven soldiers") is no exception. Here we are pared down to the core of Popol Vuh, the musicians that would constitute the heart of the group for years; Florian Fricke, Daniel Fichelscher (who now plays electric guitar, acoustic guitar and percussion) and the return of Djong Yun on vocals. Olaf Kubler, another member from Amon Düül II, guests on flute.

Fichelscher would have an enormous influence on the sound of Popol Vuh, especially now that that Conny Veit was gone, and Fricke seemed more than happy to let his musicians influence the music, whose visions seemed only to enhance his own. Here again we're treated to some of the best music ever to emerge from the "rock" genre, and there must have been a lot of overdubbing going on, as the drums, electric and acoustic guitars are often exhibited simultaneously, winding in and around each other in a magnificent way. Fricke's piano is much less to the fore here as in previous works, only emerging periodically to guide the way.

Side one contains five shorter superb instrumental tracks. The only negative one could really come up with in the work of Daniel Fichelscher is perhaps his over-reliance of cymbal crashes as part of his drumming style. While this can occasionally wear, it also fits in with a style of music that ebbs and flows and continually goes for higher and yet still more dramatic highs. Nowhere is this demonstrated more than on the sidelong nineteen-plus minute track on side two, "Einsjäger & Siebenjäger." We are again joined by the occasional soaring vocals of Djong Yun, and this is the one track in Popol Vuh's entire career that comes closest to the realms of progressive rock in terms of structure. By the time it's over, one is left exhausted, yet exalted - another indispensable work from another near-perfect album.

There are two bonus tracks on this CD. The first is the wonderful 1:55 "King Minos II," which oddly enough sounds nothing like "King Minos I" from Einsjäger, but more like a stripped down and shorter version of "Song of Earth" from their 1985 album Spirit of Peace. The second bonus track, the 5:42 "Wo bist Du?" is virtually identical to "Wo bist Du, der Du überwunden hast?" from the 1979 album Die Nacht Der Seele - Tantric Songs, which is odd to say the least. It's a beautiful song, though, so I'm not complaining.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 03 2014 at 12:01
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 23:30
I'm really starting to get into this band. I bought five albums today. I really dig Fichelscher's guitar work. So pure and full of emotion.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 23:43
^ Yeah, his compositions, nearly all of them, are fantastic. "Morgengruß"/"Morgengruß II", "Kleiner Krieger", "Der Große Krieger" (don't get Letzte Tage just yet ) - all of them are superb.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 23:55
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Yeah, his compositions, nearly all of them, are fantastic. "Morgengruß"/"Morgengruß II", "Kleiner Krieger", "Der Große Krieger" (don't get Letzte Tage just yet ) - all of them are superb.

Yeah, I'll wait on Letzte Tage for now. Smile I've been looking at that soundtrack box set even thought I already bought the single issue of Aguirre, it certainly looks enticing.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345