Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedÄnglagård discussions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2013 at 23:57

I have Hybris and Viljans Oga. They are really unique albums, but very hard to digest without multiple diligent listens, especially the latter. Definitely not easy listening, but music of that caliber shouldn't be considered as such. I love them both for different reasons. Hybris I prefer, but Viljans Oga is distinctive enough to stand alone as an exceptional prog album.

I actually didn't miss the vocals; it seemed to me the tracks didn't need them to create such a unique set of moods and atmospheres, so including them might have been distracting, as dense as everything already was.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 01:01
Anglagard are possibly THE BEST thing that happened to Prog in the early-90's.  All 3 studio albums are beyond belief in intricacy, complexity, arrangement etc.  Incredible musicians, they run rings around lots of the more famous Prog musos.  Very difficult to pick a favourite but their latest is an absolute thrill-fest start to finish (just more to enjoy, I guess).
I really wish they'd re-issue 'Hybris' on LP one day (even if the Digipak CD I have is very nice) - prices for the original LP (on Colours) are waaaay overblown - I bought my 'Epilog' LP for 30 bucks years ago and Viljans Oga for a little more last year. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 01:19
I've found the latest album a lot tougher to listen to than Hybris. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and persevere if only because the level of musicianship is the very highest. I need more time to 'get it' perhaps.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 05:13
I only have Hybris. I didn't like it much at first, but it grew on me.
I'm curious about the other albums now too. 
They do have some similarities with some other Scandinavian bands, don't you think?
Anekdoten for instance. Some say Landberk as well. I'd also day White Willow. The combination of the sweet, the heavy and the barren, almost like a desolate landscape.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 05:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've found the latest album a lot tougher to listen to than Hybris. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and persevere if only because the level of musicianship is the very highest. I need more time to 'get it' perhaps.

Sadly, as much as it's still rather good, for me the latest one is not a patch on the previous two. It doesn't have that sense of flow, the constant reprises that the first two albums have. Strangely, I also get quite sick of it by about the half way point and rarely hear the album all the way through to the end. It's noisy, fragmented and abrasive, too many little sections and ideas that don't really form together too well.

But...it's certainly not a case of a band running out of ideas. Just a different approach than before, experimenting, and definately not merely repeating themselves. Guess I admire it more than actually like it.

I also noticed that, personally for me, I can think of endless other fairly recent instrumental albums that wipe the floor with it.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 08:34
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

They do have some similarities with some other Scandinavian bands, don't you think?
Anekdoten for instance. Some say Landberk as well. I'd also day White Willow. The combination of the sweet, the heavy and the barren, almost like a desolate landscape.

Well, the (now former) drummer Mattias Olsen plays drums on two White Willow albums (their second, and their most recent).

I love the newest Anglagard album, more than the previous two actually.  Probably because I heard a couple of the tracks live, and they were highlights of the performance.

I really don't see the new lineup as being a good thing.......I can't imagine Anglagard without Mattias behind the drum kit.  I guess a new album is being worked on, so we'll see I guess.  For those that like vocals, Tord is back in the band, so I understand the next album will feature vocals again.

Edited by infandous - July 15 2013 at 08:34
angelodevita View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 08:41
Incredible bands.... it's always a good surprise when you find a group of musicians that are dedicated in playing music in a KC way... so inspiring
Ice blue silver sky
Fades into grey
To a grey hope that oh yearns to be
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 08:47
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Well, the (now former) drummer Mattias Olsen plays drums on two White Willow albums (their second, and their most recent).

I love the newest Anglagard album, more than the previous two actually.  Probably because I heard a couple of the tracks live, and they were highlights of the performance.

I really don't see the new lineup as being a good thing.......I can't imagine Anglagard without Mattias behind the drum kit.  I guess a new album is being worked on, so we'll see I guess.  For those that like vocals, Tord is back in the band, so I understand the next album will feature vocals again.

Yeah, I was really impressed by the percussion in Hybris... Mattias was one of the best surprises I had at the time. Never heard of White Willow, but it seems unique... thanks bro
Ice blue silver sky
Fades into grey
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 22:19
Originally posted by angelodevita angelodevita wrote:

Does anyone know what the cover art for Hybris means? It looks like a sun, a mandala...but what is the true meaning?

Well...all 3 cd's have a picture of a young girl/woman as the cover theme done in different forms.On Epilog the face is  hidden in the woods and if you look carefully the face on Hybris is that of a young woman also.

This is from the unofficial website linked to on wiki.....

Who came up with the bandname? What does it mean?
"I think it was Tord. His story was that his grandmother as a young girl had a box with paperdoll pictures of Angels and she called the box Änglagård. A farm of Angels." (Mattias O. in
this interview)

Perhaps it's a tribute to his grandmother as a young girl.

Edited by dr wu23 - July 15 2013 at 22:20
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Does anyone know what the cover art for Hybris means? It looks like a sun, a mandala...but what is the true meaning?

Well...all 3 cd's have a picture of a young girl/woman as the cover theme done in different forms.On Epilog the face is  hidden in the woods and if you look carefully the face on Hybris is that of a young woman also.

"I think it was Tord. His story was that his grandmother as a young girl had a box with paperdoll pictures of Angels and she called the box Änglagård. A farm of Angels." (Mattias O. in
this interview)

Awesome...makes sense!

One thing I saw in one the reviews for Hybris, was that it may be a tribute to KC Larks' Tongue in Aspic. Both albums look similar, with the sun in the center...and not to mention the resemblance between the music
Ice blue silver sky
Fades into grey
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 22:40
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sadly, as much as it's still rather good, for me the latest one is not a patch on the previous two. It doesn't have that sense of flow, the constant reprises that the first two albums have. Strangely, I also get quite sick of it by about the half way point and rarely hear the album all the way through to the end. It's noisy, fragmented and abrasive, too many little sections and ideas that don't really form together too well.

But...it's certainly not a case of a band running out of ideas. Just a different approach than before, experimenting, and definately not merely repeating themselves. Guess I admire it more than actually like it.

I also noticed that, personally for me, I can think of endless other fairly recent instrumental albums that wipe the floor with it.

Hybris will probably always be my favourite of their three studio allbums and yes i'd rate Epilog ahead of the new one. Maybe as richardh says the new one is simply a tougher listen. Now considering I gave it 5 stars means I obviously was veyr impressed, but I prefer the nineties releases.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 01:16
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Hybris will probably always be my favourite of their three studio allbums and yes i'd rate Epilog ahead of the new one. Maybe as richardh says the new one is simply a tougher listen. Now considering I gave it 5 stars means I obviously was veyr impressed, but I prefer the nineties releases.

I've held off reviewing it as my instinct is to mark it down but I think part of the problem is the large gap between Epilog and Viljan Oga.  Hybris especially has become as important in my mind as any of the seventies classic symph albums and now we have something new to ponder over. Its a brave and committed work certainly. I think my feelings towards it are mirrored by Glass Hammers If which is a similarly dense offering although a different style of symph. I'm only just coming round to liking that but its been a struggle.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 11:24

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

this interview)

Awesome...makes sense!

One thing I saw in one the reviews for Hybris, was that it may be a tribute to KC Larks' Tongue in Aspic. Both albums look similar, with the sun in the center...and not to mention the resemblance between the music

The KC connection is certainly possible though it doesn't really look all that much like the sun and moon logo to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 16:18

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I've held off reviewing it as my instinct is to mark it down but I think part of the problem is the large gap between Epilog and Viljan Oga.  Hybris especially has become as important in my mind as any of the seventies classic symph albums and now we have something new to ponder over. Its a brave and committed work certainly. I think my feelings towards it are mirrored by Glass Hammers If which is a similarly dense offering although a different style of symph. I'm only just coming round to liking that but its been a struggle.

I still don't know how to rate it personally. While I'm listening to it, I think 4, but for some reason after like three hours go by I think it's a 5. Maybe it's the kind of album that's simply too dense to assess in the context of the immediate musical impact. Maybe I need to listen to it a few more times still... I've had it since Christmas of this past year, but it doesn't make it in the rotation as often as others.

Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 01:00
Okay, so I listened to it again a few hours ago, and I've made up my mind: it's a 5 star album for sure. It's just an album that is very easily influenced by the context in which you listen to it, very much more so than others in my collection.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 01:04
Not a huge fan of Änglagår, their debut LP is too epigone for me. Their new LP is a bit better though.
This night wounds time.
Djam Karet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 18:36
I love these guys! Who doesn't? They're GREAT!
warrplayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 08:12
A DK/Anglagard teamup/collaboration/side project would probably blow some minds, Gayle!

Edited by warrplayer - August 24 2013 at 11:09
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 22:11
Originally posted by Djam Karet Djam Karet wrote:

I love these guys! Who doesn't? They're GREAT!
Their newest album is superb and sublime...
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2013 at 13:32
Never listened to Anglagard until earlier this year.  Threw on Viljians Oga and just about cried.  A beautifully emotional album.  This is what I imagine in my head where symphonic prog would have went if it kept progressing

Edited by bloodnarfer - August 26 2013 at 13:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12