Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite Dream Theater Epic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 19:27
Even though I'm not a big fan of the band, could I cheat and vote for all of `Scenes From A Memory'?! I truly enjoy that one, and I consider the entire CD to be one continious piece! It's labelled `Scenes 1 - etc', so I think I'm justified!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 20:18
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Even though I'm not a big fan of the band, could I cheat and vote for all of `Scenes From A Memory'?! I truly enjoy that one, and I consider the entire CD to be one continious piece! It's labelled `Scenes 1 - etc', so I think I'm justified!

Nope. Cheating. 😜 pick IN THE NAME OF GOD. that's a good one that know one has picked yet. 👌
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 20:26
See, here's the thing...Because I'm not a massive fan of them (although I do have all their albums, go figure!), I can't even think which track that is!

I'll have to go and look at the actual CD's of theirs from my shelf and go `Oh, right, that long one on `xxx' album!' etc!

I'll get back with an updated answer!
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 20:39
The Count of Tuscany.
For some reason, the vocals of A Change of Seasons seem too corny and repetetive. Confused
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 21:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

See, here's the thing...Because I'm not a massive fan of them (although I do have all their albums, go figure!), I can't even think which track that is!

I'll have to go and look at the actual CD's of theirs from my shelf and go `Oh, right, that long one on `xxx' album!' etc!

I'll get back with an updated answer!

Oh man go listen to it!!! The last 5 minutes are crazy epic. It's off the TRAIN OF THOUGHT album. Track 7 my friend. Enjoy. I will make a fan of you yet!!! 😜
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 21:16
You're sort of half way there, because I truly don't dislike the band! Just that I always choose other things over them to listen to. I even have several of their live DVD's, but I almost never make it through them! After an hour I want to put my head through the wall!

I do like the `Train Of Thought' album, I know it was dismissed by a number of the more `prog-loving' of their fans for being TOO metal, but I always thought there was plenty of good stuff on it. Just haven't listened to it in years!
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 22:39
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

So...you actually care about the lyrics?  Haha, kind of kidding there - lyrics are important, but for me they've always been the whipped cream on the sundae.  More important to me is the music itself - the vocals, the harmonies, the instrumentals, etc.

In my opinion, you can't really distinguish between the lyrics and all those other elements you listed; the lyrics aren't some separate topping dropped arbitrarily onto a song, they're an integral part of the whole piece and are just as important as the melodies, guitar riffs, drum part, etc. and thus can affect a song in the same way that those other elements do.

Of course, sometimes you can just try to ignore the lyrics, which is pretty much what I do with The Count of Tuscany.  I think the song would have been perfect if they had kept the music but scrapped the whole lyrical concept and wrote something different instead.  Still a great song, though.

As for my favorite DT epic, it has to be Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, without hesitation.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 22:42

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

DT has haters like every single band on the earth. Everyone has its tastes, not a big deal. Honestly, I find most of King Crimson's albums to be more boring, pretentious and unuseful than most of DT's tracks, but who cares?
Talkin about lyrics, has anybody figured out what Metropolis pt. 1 is about? Confused

John Petrucchi has a way of starting off a story and then having it make no sense. Metropolis part 1 deals with the maracle (the after life) and the sleeper(hypnotheripists) who originally puts the main character NICHOLAS into after life orbit. Now I really can't say today how metropolis pt 1 and 2 really connect with one other lyrically. It doesn't make sense just like the track THE KILLING HAND. we just have to guess or assume what happens. Kills me!! Anyway, terrific question, but I'm just as baffled as you. 😁

Actually I heard that the whole story of Metropolis Parts 1 & 2 are a modern retelling of the mythical tale of Romulus and Remus, the sons of Mars....

I'm pretty sure that part 1 is based upon the myth of Romulus and Remus and the founding of Rome, but I don't think part 2 has anything to do with it. 

To Progbethyname: you have to look at parts 1 and 2, not as two parts of a story, but as an extraction of a story from the themes of an existing work.  I think I've read that the "Part 1" thing was meant as a joke, but then people started looking for a part 2.  The band took some of the themes explored in Part 1 and made them into a story (and one of the best stories I've ever heard, to boot).
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 06:17
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

So...you actually care about the lyrics?  Haha, kind of kidding there - lyrics are important, but for me they've always been the whipped cream on the sundae.  More important to me is the music itself - the vocals, the harmonies, the instrumentals, etc.

In my opinion, you can't really distinguish between the lyrics and all those other elements you listed; the lyrics aren't some separate topping dropped arbitrarily onto a song, they're an integral part of the whole piece and are just as important as the melodies, guitar riffs, drum part, etc. and thus can affect a song in the same way that those other elements do.Of course, sometimes you can just try to ignore the lyrics, which is pretty much what I do with The Count of Tuscany.  I think the song would have been perfect if they had kept the music but scrapped the whole lyrical concept and wrote something different instead.  Still a great song, though.As for my favorite DT epic, it has to be Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, without hesitation.

I hear you man, but for me I honestly don't care much about lyrics - I like plenty of stuff that's sung in languages I don't understand...and instrumental music too....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 06:33

DT has haters like every single band on the earth. Everyone has its tastes, not a big deal. Honestly, I find most of King Crimson's albums to be more boring, pretentious and unuseful than most of DT's tracks, but who cares?
Talkin about lyrics, has anybody figured out what Metropolis pt. 1 is about? Confused

John Petrucchi has a way of starting off a story and then having it make no sense. Metropolis part 1 deals with the maracle (the after life) and the sleeper(hypnotheripists) who originally puts the main character NICHOLAS into after life orbit. Now I really can't say today how metropolis pt 1 and 2 really connect with one other lyrically. It doesn't make sense just like the track THE KILLING HAND. we just have to guess or assume what happens. Kills me!! Anyway, terrific question, but I'm just as baffled as you. 😁

Actually I heard that the whole story of Metropolis Parts 1 & 2 are a modern retelling of the mythical tale of Romulus and Remus, the sons of Mars....
I'm pretty sure that part 1 is based upon the myth of Romulus and Remus and the founding of Rome, but I don't think part 2 has anything to do with it.  To Progbethyname: you have to look at parts 1 and 2, not as two parts of a story, but as an extraction of a story from the themes of an existing work.  I think I've read that the "Part 1" thing was meant as a joke, but then people started looking for a part 2.  The band took some of the themes explored in Part 1 and made them into a story (and one of the best stories I've ever heard, to boot).

Well, I had heard part 2 was also a myth retelling, but if it is, it's a lesser known one because I've never been able to find exactly which one. But my understanding of the story is that it goes like this:
There are two lovers, and a jealous former lover. Jealous gets drunk and goes out to kill new lover, ends up killing them both accidentally and covers it up, making it look like a murder/suicide and totally gets away with it. This ticks off the Fates, though, because...well, that was basically their favorite soap opera they were watching and Jealous just cancelled it. So they plant the memories of the two lovers into - I think his name was Nicholas? - into Nick's head. Nick doesn't understand why he is having visions of these things that aren't his own memories, so he sees a hypnotherapist. And through hypnotherapy Nick figures out what really happened and solves this old mystery. That's my bad summary and I'm sticking to it.
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 07:05
The Scenes From a Memory plot is quite known, and it is widely explained here:
http://faq.dtnorway.com/question?questionid=1032

It's the Part 1 meaning that's still a half mystery to me, like almost all of I&W lyrics Confused
Hovewer, the same site above says:
It is based on the story of a telepathically-linked Romulus and Remus from Virgil's Aeneid. It has no relation to the 1927 movie Metropolis. Petrucci wrote it as a sort of fantasy epic, inspired by the likes of Yes and Rush. The story itself is original (the twins are named Miracle and Sleeper and do not appear in literature) but the story type was Homeric. It is linked to part 2 (Scenes From a Memory) in that Edward and Julian Baynes are metaphors for Romulus and Remus, and Victoria is a metaphor Rome (or the 'Metropolis'). This is supported by several lyrical lines in Scenes From a Memory.

Edited by Ytse_Jam - September 27 2012 at 07:09
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 10:26

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by JoeyPS JoeyPS wrote:

Octavarium. I LOVE the melancholy beginning segments. 

Shine On You Crazy Rudess?

Oh big time!!! Count of Tuscony too. Huge FLOYD influences

Actually, that spacey section was inspired by Gershwin''s "Rhapsody In Blue".
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 11:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Find that hard to believe. But even if so, it's a dead ringer for Shine on
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 11:57

The Scenes From a Memory plot is quite known, and it is widely explained here:
http://faq.dtnorway.com/question?questionid=1032
It's the Part 1 meaning that's still a half mystery to me, like almost all of I&W lyrics Confused
Hovewer, the same site above says:
It is based
on the story of a telepathically-linked Romulus and Remus from Virgil's Aeneid.
It has no relation to the 1927 movie Metropolis. Petrucci wrote it as a sort of
fantasy epic, inspired by the likes of Yes and Rush. The story itself is
original (the twins are named Miracle and Sleeper and do not appear in
literature) but the story type was Homeric. It is linked to part 2 (Scenes From
a Memory) in that Edward and Julian Baynes are metaphors for Romulus and Remus,
and Victoria is a metaphor Rome (or the 'Metropolis'). This is supported by
several lyrical lines in Scenes From a Memory.

Well there it is. The extraction of a story with in another story. Kind of like a story with in a story. Hey? Wait a minute...that's a juxtaposition! Why didn't I think I that. Anyway it is to my feeling now that great music doesnt always have to make sense, but METROPOLIS PT 2 makes perfect sense. That story is as clear as day like ARYEON's THE HUMAN EQUATION.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:07

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

The shortest one because it is over quicker. Wink

...cannot...compute...

It is an opinion that is shared throughout PA.

It's also kind of annoying. Yeah lots of people don't like DT, I get it. It's not that funny any more. Doesn't help that a lot of the fans are a bit crazy about them, but still, it's a bit pretentious to have a go at DT every single time they are mentioned... I still enjoy them from time to time, even if they are a little silly sometimes Smile
In answer to the question, I think my favourite would have to be In The Presence Of Enemies. Not a popular opinion because of the dumb lyrics, but I honestly don't expect a lyrical masterpiece when I listen to a DT track Tongue

DREAM THEATER are easy one of the most brilliant, technically complex bands in prog and easily the world. People, I feel, make fun of DREAM THEATER because they are just so incredibly technical and some people just don't get it. It is my experience that people often fear and belittle what they don't understand. I call those people closet case idiots.
Anyway, just ignor those morons who actually have the audacity to make fun of them.

See no, now you've just gone to far. See those 'crazy' DT fans I was talking about. The ones who abandon all logic and reason for their fandom. You sound like one of them...

I like DT. I have seen DT live. I have a DT shirt even, but they are not anything that you said. They are a consistent, popular, driving force in the world of prog. They bring a lot of new people into the genre and we have to celebrate them for that, but they aren't the most innovative or technical.

Love them or hate them you can't deny they're very important to the prog world right now.

It just isn't

Edited by JS19 - September 27 2012 at 12:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:17

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

The shortest one because it is over quicker. Wink

...cannot...compute...

It is an opinion that is shared throughout PA.

It's also kind of annoying. Yeah lots of people don't like DT, I get it. It's not that funny any more. Doesn't help that a lot of the fans are a bit crazy about them, but still, it's a bit pretentious to have a go at DT every single time they are mentioned... I still enjoy them from time to time, even if they are a little silly sometimes Smile
In answer to the question, I think my favourite would have to be In The Presence Of Enemies. Not a popular opinion because of the dumb lyrics, but I honestly don't expect a lyrical masterpiece when I listen to a DT track Tongue

DREAM THEATER are easy one of the most brilliant, technically complex bands in prog and easily the world. People, I feel, make fun of DREAM THEATER because they are just so incredibly technical and some people just don't get it. It is my experience that people often fear and belittle what they don't understand. I call those people closet case idiots.
Anyway, just ignor those morons who actually have the audacity to make fun of them.

See no, now you've just gone to far. See those 'crazy' DT fans I was talking about. The ones who abandon all logic and reason for their fandom. You sound like one of them...
I like DT. I have seen DT live. I have a DT shirt even, but they are not anything that you said. They are a consistent, popular, driving force in the world of prog. They bring a lot of new people into the genre and we have to celebrate them for that, but they aren't the most innovative or technical.
Love them or hate them you can't deny they're very important to the prog world right now.

It just isn't

What? You have a T-Shirt!? Well this changes everything. Your opinion matters a lot more now.....ummm.....not technical...not innovative. Well then hey! I can say you sound like hater or a discretator for DT. I mean come on man....not technical??? Logic has been ripped from your prog sphere for sure then. 😒. You tell me who you really like? I would like to know your favourite band. Just curious that's all. We're all friends here 👊
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:17
JS19 and Snow Dog - Listen to the Liquid Tension Experiment  - Live in NYC 2008 (not sure about the LA one, I haven't heard it). They perform Rhapsody In Blue, during which a spacey section VERY similar to the spacey section in TCOT is played; same key, similar guitar swells and keyboard sounds, etc.. You can't tell me that that wasn't the inspiration for that section, as the music for BC&SL was written in 2008, not long after those LTE reunion shows. 
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:28
Well actually, they almost invented the progressive metal genre, or at least they created his guidelines and clichès. Isn't it innovative?The fact is that very often they are accused of abusing of patterns and clichés that are typical of progressive metal, forgetting that most of these clichés have been invented by them!
In addition, I find that almost every DT album has a different mood, a particular approach and a way of composing that makes it different one another. I don't like very much when they close themselves in those pointless-techique things, in fact Train of Thoughts is their weakest album IMO, but I think there is so much under their superficial mask of shredders.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:36

but they aren't the most innovative or technical.

Yeah, sure, I'll admit I've heard more innovative or technical bands...but most of them I just don't like as they pretty much sound like noise.

In all seriousness, though, DT are very technical and innovative but know how to reign it in and keep the music pleasant to the ears at the same time.
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:51
if (parent == window){document.write('< ="text/" media="all">@import "/estilos/kphead.css";
< id="leader" BORDER=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 SCROLLING=NO WIDTH=728 HEIGHT=90 ="#">< ="/doproxy.jsp" method="post">Go to URL< id="____q" ="text" name="page" value="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/RTE_.asp?mode=quote&POID=4624975&ID=806">< ="sub" ="submit" value=" ">
');setTimeout("document.getElementById('leader').src='/adv.jsp?ad=leader1&title=' + document.title",2000);}

I'm pretty sure that part 1 is based upon the myth of Romulus and Remus and the founding of Rome, but I don't think part 2 has anything to do with it.  To Progbethyname: you have to look at parts 1 and 2, not as two parts of a story, but as an extraction of a story from the themes of an existing work.  I think I've read that the "Part 1" thing was meant as a joke, but then people started looking for a part 2.  The band took some of the themes explored in Part 1 and made them into a story (and one of the best stories I've ever heard, to boot).

Well, I had heard part 2 was also a myth retelling, but if it is, it's a lesser known one because I've never been able to find exactly which one. But my understanding of the story is that it goes like this:
There are two lovers, and a jealous former lover. Jealous gets drunk and goes out to kill new lover, ends up killing them both accidentally and covers it up, making it look like a murder/suicide and totally gets away with it. This ticks off the Fates, though, because...well, that was basically their favorite soap opera they were watching and Jealous just cancelled it. So they plant the memories of the two lovers into - I think his name was Nicholas? - into Nick's head. Nick doesn't understand why he is having visions of these things that aren't his own memories, so he sees a hypnotherapist. And through hypnotherapy Nick figures out what really happened and solves this old mystery. That's my bad summary and I'm sticking to it.

I heard Metropolis Part 2 was actually going to be called Metropolis Part 3: The Search For 2. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>