Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOcnos (Spain) for Symphonic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ocnos (Spain) for Symphonic Prog
    Posted: November 02 2012 at 01:54

http://ocnos.bandcamp.com/album/visions (free download)

Edited by Svetonio - November 02 2012 at 02:33
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2012 at 19:10
Having a listen now and like this style. 

It has symphonic textures, no doubt, nice keyboards and rhythms are powerful and locking into a groove so the keys can jam over. The ambience in the music is there too like how Eloy breaks into passages of gentle swathes of soundscapes. Very peaceful in places and definitely symphonic so far after only one song. 

I will listen to the whole thing now and get back to you and The Team can make a decision soon I believe.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 02:10
I like it

But I would like to talk about bands releasing free digital albums.

I believe they should release an album to be sold, until rthem, they are only a group of friends with a demo...Which BTW doesn't meet the standards of a proffesional recording

It's time to stop adding bands that don't really exist, we should recommend people albums that can be acquired, not albums that tofday may be in bandcamp and tomorrow nowhere.

Iván

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 03:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I like it

/.../

It's time to stop adding bands that don't really exist, ...

Iván
Ivan, do whatever you want with this suggestion, but it's pointless to say that this band doesn't exist (like many others new bands that their albums are available for free download at bandcamp's pages).

As you can see, there's  one band called Ocnos who play in the venues around Spain, they have fans and released an album.

Are they just a mirage because they gives their stuff to us for free (lol)?!

p.s. A lot of 70's 'one album wonders' are added to PA on the basis of  few Youtube samples,  because their albums, properly released as LPs  - 500 copies or something like that -  were not released as CD, what results that there's no way to hear their albums in entirety if you don't pay for a collector item (an old LP) on ebay; so, the question is  - are they exist more than Ocnos ?

Edited by Svetonio - November 03 2012 at 06:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I like it

/.../

It's time to stop adding bands that don't really exist, ...

Iván
Ivan, do whatever you want with this suggestion, but it's pointless to say that this band doesn't exist (like many others new bands that their albums are available for free download at bandcamp's pages).

As you can see, there's  one band called Ocnos who play in the venues around Spain, they have fans and released an album.

Are they just a mirage because they gives their stuff to us for free (lol)?!

p.s. A lot of 70's 'one album wonders' are added to PA on the basis of  few Youtube samples,  because their albums, properly released as LPs  - 500 copies or something like that -  were not released as CD, what results that there's no way to hear their albums in entirety if you don't pay for a collector item (an old LP) on ebay; so, the question is  - are they exist more than Ocnos ?

Svetonio, there's a special procedure for this bands, it's a discretion of the team to allow them.

1.- We don't add a single band based in Youtube videos, we get the albums even  if we have to pay a lot

2.- I believe that PA is a site to guide people through Prog, this bands are today for free in Bandcamp, tomorrow God knows if their album could be found...I don't see the point in adding them

3.- I listen a very amateur recording, not able to be compared with a professional one.

So that's my perspective.

At least one hit wonder albums are possible to be found somewhere, this bands after they leave Bandcamp, won't leave trace, unless they become professionals.

Iván

Have you noticed that no Prog site adds this bands to their database?

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 03 2012 at 10:53

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:19

LOL! What's the problem with recording exactly?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

LOL! What's the problem with recording exactly?

It's very amateur.

But most important, 

1. They have only one free album
  2. The production is amateur
  3. They don't have a website
  4. No other Prog site has included them
  5. If they leave bandcamp, their album will cease to exist

i don't consider they exist as a band yet, will wait until they release an official commercial album.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 03 2012 at 12:52

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 20:53
I think it is best to leave this band for a while until they build up a catalogue and at least have albums for sale and are classed as a legitimate band. 

Other sites perhaps feel the same way that's the reason they are not added to their database.

Thanks for the heads up on the band Svetonio!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 23:28
This thread has certainly 'muddied the waters' somewhat with regard to the relaxation (as I understood it) of the Unsigned Bands/Free Releases policy last year. I was under the impression that an album on bandcamp, even if freely downloadable and not actually being sold on there, was enough to for us to grant an artist eligibility for evaluation.

This matter needs clearing up so that everyone knows exactly where they stand. We need one policy regarding artist recording status and site eligiblity, which all teams are prepared to accept and follow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 23:39
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

This thread has certainly 'muddied the waters' somewhat with regard to the relaxation (as I understood it) of the Unsigned Bands/Free Releases policy last year. I was under the impression that an album on bandcamp, even if freely downloadable and not actually being sold on there, was enough to for us to grant an artist eligibility for evaluation.

This matter needs clearing up so that everyone knows exactly where they stand. We need one policy regarding artist recording status and site eligiblity, which all teams are prepared to accept and follow.

Yam Yam, it's clarified, it has muddied nothing this is not a case of unsigned band

Quote Free-release Policy

The Free-release Policy is to allow artists that have released their entire discography for free-download to be considered for inclusion into the ProgArchives database. The Free-release Policy does not apply to artists who have, or have had, CDs available for sale and permit free-download of only some of their material - those artists can be submitted under the normal Band Admission Policy.

Free-releases can be accepted at the discretion of the appropriate Genre Team if they unanimously decide that the releases are of a professional standard and they clear it with the Admin Team first.

This is solely at the discretion of the Genre Team evaluating the artist and the Admin Team, no other opinion or influence is accepted and non-team members must abide by the decision when the artist is accepted or rejected for inclusion.

We have policies for each case.

This is much longer, but this is enough for the moment

Believe me, nothing is new, some of us been here for almost 10 years and seen everything

1.- The recording is not professional IMHO
2.- The band has released ONE album and it's for FREE, it's no different than a demo (we can't talk about an entire discography)
3,.- If they leave Bandcamp, the band ceases to exist

I like the band, it's excellent music, but as Scott said, lets wait until they release a formal album, or at least a second free release to know if the band will continue to exist.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 03 2012 at 23:50

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 01:09
The band has been going for five years now, and does have a second free release from July 2011 (albeit a live album of songs from the 2010 'Visions' album as played at the Festival Del Lago De Bornos, in Cádiz): http://ocnos.bandcamp.com/album/ocnos-directo-bornos-2011. I would like to read more about them on their facebook and myspace pages: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ocnos/137012836316041 & http://www.myspace.com/ocnosband, but both sites are in Spanish. The facebook one is currently maintained, and would be where to find details of any plans for recording of new material, whereas the myspace one isn't (last log-in over a year ago).

Progarchives policies on this issue appear to be a bit more complex than I thought. I guess all that we ordinary members can do is suggest the bands whose music we feel is worthy of inclusion, and then sit back and cross our fingers! Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - November 04 2012 at 01:10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2012 at 01:10

The band has been going for five years now, and does have a second free release from July 2011 (albeit a live album of songs from the 2010 'Visions' album as played at the Festival Del Lago De Bornos, in Cádiz): http://ocnos.bandcamp.com/album/ocnos-directo-bornos-2011. I would like to read more about them on their facebook and myspace pages: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ocnos/137012836316041 & http://www.myspace.com/ocnosband, but both sites are in Spanish. The facebook one is currently maintained, and would be where to find details of any plans for recording of new material, whereas the myspace one isn't (last log-in over a year ago).

Please Yam Yam, it's live material of their free album and the quality is even more amateur.

I say no, sorry

policies on this issue appear to be a bit more complex than I thought. I guess all that we ordinary members can do is suggest the bands whose music we feel is worthy of inclusion, and then sit back and cross our fingers! Embarrassed

We all have to do that.I have suggested "The Bonzo Dog Doh Dah Band" who are accepted in many Prog sites and "Chetarca" for Prog Related and they said no.....Didn't complain, didn't protest, just accepted what the Adms decided.

That's how it works, we suggest and others decide.

If they release an official professional album, I'll check again, but forv their sites seems they don't have plans

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 04 2012 at 01:14

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 17:11
Cleared in Crossover, and hopefully will be added soon.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 17:19

Cleared in Crossover, and hopefully will be added soon.
ClapThanks David and Crossover Team. Approve
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 15:14
added
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/