Topic ClosedChildren & Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Children & Prog
    Posted: November 12 2012 at 20:33
My eldest has always gone to sleep with music.

At first it was a Capella lullabies.  Then it was nursery rhymes and similar songs ("Old MacDonald" and "This Little Piggy").

For a few weeks recently, he's gone to bed with Three Dog Night's greatest hits.

This past week, it's been Foxtrot.

He used to love when I played "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" for him on guitar, but I think he's forgotten it.  There's a video we made of us somewhere "playing" that song together.

Earlier I asked him what his favorite Foxtrot song was.

He said, and I quote, "I like number six, but it's a long song!"

Approve Hug

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 20:40
My sister just had a baby. I got her this:

Raymond Scott needs to be on PA.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 21:38
I am a teenager and I wasn't always raised with prog. I used to go to sleep with little lullabys like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. My first experience to prog was Supertramp. I was also raised to Sting before I Got interest to music. Ahhh, childhood memories.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 21:50
I've been listening to Frank Zappa since the age of four. It has been claimed that this has had quite an effect on me. Wink

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Genesis is probably the kind of music that will cause massive waves of nostalgia when you listen to it as an adult after having heard it as a child, so I applaud that. You might want to play him Wind & Wuthering. That seems like an album made for childhood nostalgia.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 21:54
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

I've been listening to Frank Zappa since the age of four. It has been claimed that this has had quite an effect on me. Wink

Genesis is probably the kind of music that will cause massive waves of nostalgia when you listen to it as an adult after having heard it as a child, so I applaud that. You might want to play him Wind & Wuthering. That seems like an album made for childhood nostalgia.

Not really aiming at nostalgia- our eldest is autistic.

He likes slightly zany music.  I mean, listen to the middle section of "Supper's Ready" and all of "Get 'Em Out by Friday."  It's goofy.

I'm thinking about letting him have Fragile next week if he is comfortable in letting me change CDs.  I think he would get a kick out of "Five Per Cent of Nothing."
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 22:59
I got my 9 year old sister to listen to all of Phideaux's "Snowtorch" without being bored. Thought it was a pretty good achievement, since she wants to be a singer but only knows lady gaga.

For the brief prog I was exposed to at a young age, I loved most of it. Songs like Elton John's "Funeral For a Friend" and Deep Purple's "Child In Time" remain top songs to this day. Just something about them going beyond the norm intrigued me. Of course, in those days I thought it was rare haha, and that 8 minutes was a very long time for a song.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 23:03
Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

I am a teenager and I wasn't always raised with prog. I used to go to sleep with little lullabys like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. My first experience to prog was Supertramp. I was also raised to Sting before I Got interest to music. Ahhh, childhood memories.

Supertramp was one of the first for me as well. One of those sort of bands that non-prog fans love without really knowing it's prog. My parents used to play them all the time. I remember acquiring some of my dad's old records a few years ago and being shocked that I knew basically all the lyrics to Breakfast in America, despite it only being played really when I was age 4-6.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 23:39
Dude, that's awesome!  When I was real little I used to listen to a lot of Disney music.  Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf was my favorite song.  The first record I bought (or rather chose since I was only 6 or 7) was The Markettes Play the Batman Theme and Others.  My first band was The Monkees.  I heard a lot of Three Dog Night on the radio when I was a tween, since they were HUGE in the early 70s, but Foxtrot?  I don't think I was ready for that until I was at least 16.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 02:22
I grew up on Pink Floyd. I really wish I was shown more prog as a kid. I had a long metal phase from around 11-16 but if I had just been shown things like King Crimson or Camel when I was 10 years old it would've blown my mind. I remember getting The Doors' Strange Days at the local library as a kid and going home and just listening to it over and over and over again nonstop because I was so captivated by that magic sound.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 02:49
I grew up with prog.
My brothers were all teenagers / early twens when I was about 6, 7 year old.
I remember that hen I was 4, I was crazy about See Me Feel Touch Me by The Who.
I remember that when I was 7, Air from Ekseption was my favorite song.
My brothers liked Genesis, Yes, ELP, Procol Harum and I was fascinated by it.
Kids should be proggified more and more! LOL
My wife said to me several times that I should play my music to my kid daughter too.
Excellent idea, I must say Clap
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 03:14
My parents used to send me to bed listening to Radio Luxembourg and I'm pretty sure that is the reason why I've been obsessed with music my entire life. My Dad had this theory that if you sent babies to sleep in total silence you were making a rod for your own back so later you'd never get them to sleep if there was any noise in the house. I used that same theory on my own daughter, making a "baby tape" of various pieces of music for her to listen to as she slept (Bowie, Floyd, Siouxsie etc) - at age 7 she "discovered" Courtney Love and all my good intentions were undone. LOL
What?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 03:25
My little girl loves The Snow Goose and my teen is getting into Mostly Autumn and some vintage Genesis. Its all my fault of course!

She likes Nursery Cryme but doesn't understand it.

When I was only 8  I grew up in the 70s and I heard Bungle in the Jungle and Black Night. I know this cos I used to write down songs off the radio and kept the lists!

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 03:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

at age 7 she "discovered" Courtney Love and all my good intentions were undone. LOL

there's still hope, try to turn her on to Grace Slick or Janis Joplin! :P
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 06:11
One interested thing about our oldest son is that he must have singing.

When "Watchers of the Sky" first began, he became upset, saying, "He forgot to sing!"

But once P.G. began, all was right with the world.

So I probably won't give him The Snow Goose any time soon.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 07:25

One interested thing about our oldest son is that he must have singing.

When "Watchers of the Sky" first began, he became upset, saying, "He forgot to sing!"

But once P.G. began, all was right with the world.

So I probably won't give him The Snow Goose any time soon.

The first album I ever loved was Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf, which I discovered at age 10. The first track has about 3 minutes of instrumental music before the vocals come in, and I remember my ten year old brain being utterly unable to understand how that was possible.

I got the idea of an instrumental, but an entire section without vocals in an otherwise vocal driven song was completely foreign to my experience. By the time you got to three minutes, the song was supposed to be over, not just getting started!

My how things have changed.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 07:30
I know that when I was a small kid, I thought that all songs adhere to a rigid formula: Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus, outro. I was utterly shocked when a song played on the radio that consisted only of verses. I remember asking my parents: "Where's the chorus? That's not a real song!"
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 07:38
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

I know that when I was a small kid, I thought that all songs adhere to a rigid formula: Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus, outro. I was utterly shocked when a song played on the radio that consisted only of verses. I remember asking my parents: "Where's the chorus? That's not a real song!"

Was it a Bob Dylan song? He has lots of those.
Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 07:41
From age 5 I was interested with prog rock. One of my first albums was Styx's Paradise Theatre. I then listened to The Grand Illusion and Pieces of eight, when one day in my dad's old room at my grandparents house, I found five cassettes that amazed me, Rush's Exit Stage...Left and Moving Pictures and Pink Floyd's The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon, and Wish You Were Here. 

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 07:44
My daughter (almost 7 now) used to request I play "Shesmovedon" by Porcupine Tree, and "Ruby is the One" by Earth and Fire.  Nowadays, she's devoted most of her considerable musical interest to the Beatles.  I put their whole catalog on her little mp3 player for her room, and she knows all the songs by heart.  Often on weekends we'll go down to the basement and pull out the vinyl and we'll listen to Beatles records while she reads along on the lyric sheet.  Just like I did when I was a kid. Approve
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 08:24
Hi,

My younger brothers picked up on a lot of the stuff I had ... like Scorpions (1st 3 albums), AD2, and Mike Oldfield, Vangelis and others.

The house we had, was fairly educated when it comes to various cultures ... for example, my sisters had travelled in Europe and they had Aphrodite's Child way before their last album, and even had a Demi Roussos album to their credit ... so by the time I heard 666 and loved it, they thought it was not good, because they had the earlier stuff! They also had other things that were fairly progressive ... like Alan Stivell's opus album that went Red Seal and some other odd things here and there.

Children .. younger sister's son became a bass player in many bands until he decided that he was too good a musician and others too lazy around him, and he became a dj in the LA area ... apparently has an album already and a fairly good reputation. He plucked on my bass several times ... a Gibson EB-0 at the time.

Other than my younger brother, who is a music fiend like me, pretty much the rest of the family is "music'less" for my tastes and I tend to follow the Shakespeare's dictum on this one ... not trust anyone that has no music inside!

Odd stuff ... related to this somewhat. I have always had a "tinker bell" ... that I can use for meditation or other things. One of its best uses, has always been on babies that cry ... because their teeth might be hurting as they pop or such ... I get to calm them down. I have had better luck with them by doing "visuals" than music, however ... and is one of the reasons why I have a lot of fun with kids ... sometimes more so than adults ... or as one child once told her mother ... he plays with us, not give us toys! ... which ended a relationship!

Mostly music has been ... an adult's mind game in our house ... and I have written the story about my dad listening to Tomita's version of Debussy and him looking at it as fooling around, just like Walter Carlos had ... and I got ticked and trashed him ... and a week later when I visited, my mom told me that he had listened to the album again and that it was really faithful and very well done as an interpretation, unlike the Walter Carlos album that was less serious music than it was fun. So I have him the next Tomita album ... he was now ... "sunthesized"!

And we're talking very early ... and this is not something that we discuss a lot ... but he already had Heinemann,  Stockhausen and many others. He did not have Terry Riley, which I gifted him with as a way to show him that what those two were doing was "colder" and more "mechanical" than what Terry was doing ... which he eventually agreed to. By that time, I already had Beaver and Krause in my collection, btw ... which I got because they were involved in a few films and their music was adapted and adjusted in several things.

All in all, for us, the "children" did not take to it as much, because our house had that stupid "intelectual" thing ... and never once thought that a child's opinion was as valuable as ours! For all intents and purposes, because of the "famous dad", the "music" and the "art" was taken out of all children and offsprings ... in some cases as a reaction to the over-bearing situation that says that in every house and country, there is only one God, and the children are not important ... they kiss the legacy's bums!

Edited by moshkito - November 13 2012 at 08:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>