Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 284285286287288 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 16:35
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Today, so far:

Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Herbie Hancock - Thrust

And add to that:

Trioscapes - Digital Dream Sequence
Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 16:37
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I'm glad you like it Nick and Autumn '68 is one of my favourites there.
I got in on vinyl but in blu-ray it must be also great, how's the 5.1
mix? By the way, I'm waiting for a blu-ray copy of 'The Raven' from SW
to test my new player. Already configured a 5.1 system on my "music
appreciation" room Big smile

Hey Sam the record man.

Buddy, The Endless River is beautiful in 5.1 DTS. I like DTS because it does way better in treating the LFE on subs to their full potential. A greater low end bass frequency if you will. :)
I have always felt that this is where digital media really shines. I'm an Analog kid myself, so for me 5.1 audio formats is a difference I enjoy. :)

Today, yesterday and tomorrow. Lol

Tim Bowness--Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. (This one keeps getting better and better with each listen;)
Devin Townsend--Z1 ( preparing for Z2 when it comes in the mail. ;)
Pink Floyd-- The endless River. ( oh 5.1!!! ;)
Godsmack--The otherside (felt like some acoustic. )
Knifeworld--The Unraveling ( this one is pretty bloated. Not loving it...yet. )
Pink Floyd--Animals ( my god what an album. I don't know how so eke couldn't love this kind of music.)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 16:37
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

HH, Sextant and Crossings are my favourites of the six of his I have. Recommend checking out Sextant, more accessible than Crossings that one too, IMO.

Good to know Smile
... and my list of albums to check is getting big again Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 16:46
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hey Sam the record man.

Buddy, The Endless River is beautiful in 5.1 DTS. I like DTS because it does way better in treating the LFE on subs to their full potential. A greater low end bass frequency if you will. :)
I have always felt that this is where digital media really shines. I'm an Analog kid myself, so for me 5.1 audio formats is a difference I enjoy. :)

Tim Bowness--Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. (This one keeps getting better and better with each listen;)
Pink Floyd--Animals ( my god what an album. I don't know how so eke couldn't love this kind of music.)

I heard that about DTS but never tried. I tested my system the other day with my copy of 'Jarre in China' in Dolby but it also has DTS: I will have to try it soon to spot the differences Wink

Keep on progging and godsmacking... I will too Tongue

Tonight's album:
Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Edited by Meltdowner - November 19 2014 at 17:59
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 23:49

Yo Nick this album has become my favourite from this year, although it has a weird production (maybe to distinguish itself from all those crystal clear mixes) but anyway the material is really really good, it has some excellent guitar playing and the sax adds so much and makes everything sounds so interesting and progy. I hope it eventually will grow on you Cool

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:33
Genesis - Seconds Out (Much better than their previous live album and Bruford playing on 'Cinema Show' is really great)
Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush (Really cool music Audun! Definitely not plastic Tongue)
Yes - Fly From Here (The fragmented epic is kind of a bummer but it's a very enjoyable album)
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri (A saucerful of tangerine Cool)
Herbie Hancock - Sextant (A natural transition between Crossings and Head Hunters and a really good one)
Frédéric Chopin - Andante Spianato & Grande Polonaise Brillante
Tim Bowness - Abandoned Dancehall Dreams

Edited by Meltdowner - November 20 2014 at 15:36
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:34
^Thumbs Up

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:36
One of Steve Hackett's fantastic classical albums and one of my very favourites of him:

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 15:40
^ Never listened to this one, but from what I'm reading now it seems interesting. I'll return here with a faster Internet connection Tongue
Eh-Dogg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 17:02
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 17:14
Gong - I See You
PFM - Un' Isola (1st play 2/5)
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Pallas - Arrive Alive
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 20:24
Antoine Fafard's Ad Perpetuum
Emerald Dawn's Searching for The Lost Key
Esosome's What We Thought Would Save Us
Jerzy Anczark's Ego, Georgius 
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 07:18

Hey Sam the record man.

I heard that about DTS but never tried. I tested my system the other day with my copy of 'Jarre in China' in Dolby but it also has DTS: I will have to try it soon to spot the differences Wink

Keep on progging and godsmacking... I will too Tongue

Tonight's album:

I will never stop progging buddy. That would be impossible. :)
Also, the LFE functionality is the ONLY discernible difference between Dolby digital vs DTS. I assure you it's a coke vs Pepsi comparison. Not much unless you are STEVEN Wilson who on his latest Tull: A Passion play remaster/remix did the album in DOLBY AC3 which is a lossless 5.1 codec!! Truly amazing and very rare to get. It's about as warm and less crispy as digital media can sound. Remarkable. :)

Anyway Sam and my other fellow friends here. Today I am revisiting some classics that I know inside and out because I bought a new headphone cable for my super cans. Gonna be doing some A/B tests. :)
So here are a handful of albums that are pretty dear to me right now where by every little riff or nuance played/heard I know like the back of my hand. :)
Good day guys! Talk again tomorrow.

Saviour Machine---SM1
Dream Theater--Images And Words
Fields Of The Nephilim--Elyzium
IQ--Ever
Iron Maiden--Somewhere In Time
Depeche Mode--Violator
Arena--Immortal?
Soulfly-- Dark Ages.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 07:29
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Yo Nick this album has become my favourite from this year, although it has a weird production (maybe to distinguish itself from all those crystal clear mixes) but anyway the material is really really good, it has some excellent guitar playing and the sax adds so much and makes everything sounds so interesting and progy. I hope it eventually will grow on you Cool

Hey my good friend. I am doing my best with it. It's gonna take a few more serious listens with the headphones to appreciate this title more. I am, however, venturing into pretty new Territory here with psychedelic pop and XTC/Cardiac influences. Not normally my cup of tea but I live to expand my horizons and keep an open mind. :)
I will try and spin this one today (Friday) but I already have so much on the go.   Lol.
What I can say Sagi, is the bassoon passages are really cool and very pleasing to my ears.
Lets hope I get more of that feeling, but Kavus's voice isn't working for me. Yet. ;)

Have a great day buddy. Glad you are still crushing Prog albums like crazy. Also, lets a get a type O Negative marathon going soon. ;)
I am do for that. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 07:47

Also, the LFE functionality is the ONLY discernible difference between Dolby digital vs DTS. I assure you it's a coke vs Pepsi comparison. Not much unless you are STEVEN Wilson who on his latest Tull: A Passion play remaster/remix did the album in DOLBY AC3 which is a lossless 5.1 codec!! Truly amazing and very rare to get. It's about as warm and less crispy as digital media can sound. Remarkable. :)

Anyway Sam and my other fellow friends here. Today I am revisiting some classics that I know inside and out because I bought a new headphone cable for my super cans. Gonna be doing some A/B tests. :)
So here are a handful of albums that are pretty dear to me right now where by every little riff or nuance played/heard I know like the back of my hand. :)

Saviour Machine---SM1
IQ--Ever
Depeche Mode--Violator
Arena--Immortal?
Soulfly-- Dark Ages.
That sounds very nice for a digital version. By the way, the postman brought my copy of The Raven today and it has two 5.1 mixes, LPCM and DTS, but I don't know the difference between those. Also my system has DTS for 6 speakers (Neo 6), but it's a 5.1 mix and I only have 5 connected, so many different things, it's so confusing Confused

What do you mean by "bought a new headphone cable", did you change the original cable of the head-phones? Ermm
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 08:08
Nick, Sam, Sagi - sorry haven't been contributing much to this thread the last week or so! I've been on holidays, but with all the comings and goings with the concerts, I've barely been able to listen to any CD or LP's!

Will commence regular postings over the next day or so!

But other than overdosing on Tangerine Dream albums, both new and old, I've been spinning on the way in and out of the shows:

Pink Floyd - The Endless Rover
I.Q - Road of Bones
Sensations' Fix - Music is Painting in the Air
Yes - Heaven and Earth

And on the quiet lonely early A.M drives home after parting company with my concert-going friends, this beauty from jazz-goddess Julie London:

Where's Finnforest/Jim? He likes a classy lady!

Will be back catching up with you all better shortly!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 08:09
Soft Machine 7....and then 4 & 5.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 12:35

Saviour Machine---SM1
IQ--Ever
Depeche Mode--Violator
Arena--Immortal?
Soulfly-- Dark Ages.
That sounds very nice for a digital version. By the way, the postman brought my copy of The Raven today and it has two 5.1 mixes, LPCM and DTS, but I don't know the difference between those. Also my system has DTS for 6 speakers (Neo 6), but it's a 5.1 mix and I only have 5 connected, so many different things, it's so confusing Confused

What do you mean by "bought a new headphone cable", did you change the original cable of the head-phones? Ermm

Not to worry man. It confuses a lot Of people.
A lot of these digital matrix codecs ( about 9 to choose from these days) a lot of them are for namesake really, although the Neo 6 is a bit unique. ;)
What that matrix does is it (supposedly) creates a 'phantom' channel in your 5.1 set up, so it actively represents a 6 channel audio system. It adds to the immersion while listening to music or watching movies. The big difference between Neo 6 cinema and Neo 6 music is that the cinema will focus more on center channel use, while the music setting will play around more of the left and right channels more actively. This is typically because music played on your sound system demands more because a lot more signaling/information is traveling to your speakers than watching a movie....
I would not fret about all these digital media formats. Your receiver has 5-channel stereo or Dolby pro logic 1&2 it is enough!! Those are the benchmarks really. :)
Anyhow. Have a great time with RAVEN. A quality recording you will see. :)
Oh and selecting the LPCM matrix you should turn the surround to OFF! Select an analog lead from your player to your receiver and that will enable you to achieve the highest resolution possible in a 2 channel audio. You can select 5 channel stereo but the DSP will have to on, so you won't get that pure analog warmth/sound.
I don't know what kind of gear you have, but feel free to PM myself and we can go through it together and see how or what we can do to utilize its full capabilities. Will need to talk about receiver settings! :)

Prog on.

Oh and I have a new headphone cable coming in the mail to replace my HD 800's stock cable which is actually quite sub par compared to the cable I'm getting. I can explain that later on if you want.

One last thing. Forever live in 5.1 by IQ is unbelievable. You gotta get that DVD.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 14:31
Corvus Stone - Corvus Stone II
Silhouette - Beyond the Seventh Wave
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 14:39
Oh Nick it's been a while since I've listened to some Type O but I'm always looking forward to my next time that's for sure! Kill all the white people!!!LOL (Hey where's the headbanging emoticon?) 

Today...

Supersister - Iskander
Supersister - To The Highest Bidder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 284285286287288 511>