Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 00:48
Nuova Era - L'Ultimo Viaggio
Alan Sorrenti - Come Un Vecchio Incensiere...
Anekdoten - Until All The Ghosts Are Gone
The Trip - Caronte
La Maschera Di Cera - self titled
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si...
IL Tempio Delle Clessidre - self titled
IL Paese Dei Balocchi - self titled
Mezquita - Recuerdos De Mi Tierra
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 14:08
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Deep Purple - Made in Japan
That album is awesome especially the version of 'Lazy', it's so much better than the studio one Clap
Oh, Sam, I wish I did, but I just can't get into DP. After each time I listen to "Made in Japan", which is the only DP album I have, I can never remember any of the songs, except for "Child in Time" and "Smoke on the Water", nothing else sticks. They just can't keep my attention. Perhaps I should check out some of their studio albums, I know "In Rock" and "Machine Head" are well praised. Or perhaps I should just concede that DP just isn't my thing. Ouch

Blue Öyster Cult - s/t (I just joined the cult Cool)
Cool
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sam, I can NEVER make it through that Mars Volta album, as you said, waaaaaaaaay too long. I seem to get quite fed up with it by the half-way mark, even though I know there's good stuff afterwards.

But the biggest hurdle I've always had with the band are the overwrought squealing vocals, just exhausting! Instrumentally they're frequently dynamic, but I do find the band hugely self-indulgent, and they often mistake droning feedback and noise as `art'! 
I feel the same as you guys about Frances, I love the first half very much but the second half just seems to go nowhere with its endless noodling. I love all their albums and I don't have a problem with their vocals to be honest but of course they are not for everyone, anyway I really tried to get into that second half since I thought man it's Volta it's gotta be good... sorry but I gave up on it.
I've never had the problem of finishing a TMV album, or any other album for that matter (I just shut my ears when there's an album I can't get into, like in the case of DP above LOL Wink), but I agree listening to their other albums besides the debut is not exactly a breeze. Good stuff, sure, but not on the level of "De-Loused...", anything else from them I've heard (not the last two, I have them, but both are recent purchases I haven't gotten around to listen to yet), and definitely not easy listening. LOL

I'll just say I was glad when the album ended Tongue It sounded great on the first 15 minutes, but after that not so much Ermm

They were actually my gateway to my gateway to Prog: Led Zeppelin Wink I'm very fond of the first album and I used to play over it a lot, when I got my first electric guitar Smile
I have that Wolfmother album, their debut. Must dig it out and spin it again soon. Don't remember much of it to be honest, other than that I liked parts of it, I think. LOL

Oh, and speaking of Led Zeppelin, I actually started a Led Zep marathon yesterday. One of my all time favourite bands, although, like with another big favourite of mine, Tull, I can easily do without their bluesy beginnings.

So, to catch up, my picks the last week or so:

The Who - Tommy
The Who - Live at Leeds (deluxe edition) (I have for a long time had the same problem with The Who as I have with DP, but listening to this for the first time, and especially the rendition of "Tommy" on disc 2, have made me realise TW is a pretty good band after all, so perhaps there's hope for DP too if I check out more of their music, who knows? LOL)
The Who - Who's Next
The Who - Quadrophenia
Motorpsycho - Trust Us (forgot to mention this one, Sam, their psych rock masterpiece, well worth checking out this one too)
Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol. 1
Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol. 2
Sun Ra - Space Is the Place
Motorpsycho - Angels and Daemons at Play
Motorpsycho - Black Hole / Blank Canvas
Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol. 4
Led Zeppelin - s/t
Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions (disc 1)
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Today so far:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions (disc 2)

Edited by The Bearded Bard - June 01 2015 at 18:30
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 18:31
Got another one in:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

That's it for today, Led Zep marathon to be continued tomorrow. Big smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 19:01

Oh, Sam, I wish I did, but I just can't get into DP. After each time I listen to "Made in Japan", which is the only DP album I have, I can never remember any of the songs, except for "Child in Time" and "Smoke on the Water", nothing else sticks. They just can't keep my attention. Perhaps I should check out some of their studio albums, I know "In Rock" and "Machine Head" are well praised. Or perhaps I should just concede that DP just isn't my thing. Ouch
I don't listen to Deep Purple often but I like to give them a listen occasionaly. Most of the tracks of "Made in Japan" are precisely from those two albums, they sound very different from the studio versions though. I like their earlier albums too.

I have that Wolfmother album, their debut. Must dig it out and spin it again soon. Don't remember much of it to be honest, other than that I liked parts of it, I think. LOL

Oh, and speaking of Led Zeppelin, I actually started a Led Zep marathon yesterday. One of my all time favourite bands, although, like with another big favourite of mine, Tull, I can easily do without their bluesy beginnings.
Let me know when you do Smile

One of the few bands I marathoned many times, and one of my favourites too Wink I like their bluesy songs though.

Motorpsycho - Trust Us (forgot to mention this one, Sam, their psych rock masterpiece, well worth checking out this one too)
To the list it goes Smile

Today:
Tim Blake – New Jerusalem
Fusion Orchestra - Skeleton in Armour
Motorpsycho - Phanerothyme (Amazing album Audun! Clap I love its positive and sunny vibe, the same feeling I get when I listen to The Doors Cool)
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 20:06
Scanned the last few pages of this wonderful thread. Been out of commission lately, noticed some petty interesting about The mars Volta. Gonna say, I have to agree with all that was said. Anyway, for the past week I've been really saturating myself in the Arena. :) I also finally got The Unquiet sky!! Jesus that too a while. Lol.

Arena--the visitor
Arena--Breakfast in Biarritz.
Arena -- Live and Life
Lunatic Soul--Walking on a flashlight beam. (Gorgeous album. Wonderfully produced as well. It's a masterpiece all the way. )
Arena--The Unquiet Sky. ( I got this album last Friday and I've listened to it close to 20 times already! Needless to say, I love it. I'm even getting more enjoyment out of this album than IQ's The road of bones! This is yet another perfect album from Arena. They are my choice for best prog band of 2015 thus far. The album is beautifully mixed as well, and I will be sure to review this album at a later time. So much to say. ;)

Happy listening.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 01:03
Ligro - Dictionary 2
Slivovitz - Hubris
Osiris - self titled
Praxis - La Eternidad de lo Efimero
Som Imaginario - A Matanca O Porco

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 03:02
So far this eve :
RPWL - A Show Beyond Man And Time
PETER HAMMILL - Nadir's Big Chance
KAJAGOOGOO - Too Shy 12" (always incorporate these guys on my listening roster)
RARE BIRD - Born Again
and currently - FLAMEN DIALIS - Symptome Dei (superb, tripped-out Mellotron classic)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 18:08
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Arena--The Unquiet Sky. ( I got this album last Friday and I've listened to it close to 20 times already! Needless to say, I love it. I'm even getting more enjoyment out of this album than IQ's The road of bones! This is yet another perfect album from Arena. They are my choice for best prog band of 2015 thus far. The album is beautifully mixed as well, and I will be sure to review this album at a later time. So much to say. ;)
I'll certainly read it Thumbs Up

Today:
miRthkon - Vehicle
Mort Garson - Plantasia
Saint Just - s/t
Ballettirosadimacchia - s/t
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 08:22
Bwaahahha, what a surprise, Nick loves Arena's `The Unquiet Sky'! Now you can join us obsessed fans - one of us, one of us!

Today:
Tim Blake – New Jerusalem

Hey mate, that's great, what did you think of it? Vocals are a little hard to warm to at first, then they just become part of the character of the album!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 03 2015 at 08:36
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 09:24
Schicke Fuhrs & Frohling - Live 1975
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Chrome Hoof - Chrome Black Gold
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Granada - Hablo De Una Tierra
P.L.J Band - Armageddon
La Seconda Genesi - Tutto Deve Finire
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 12:18

Bwaahahha, what a surprise, Nick loves Arena's `The Unquiet Sky'! Now you can join us obsessed fans - one of us, one of us!

Hey mate, that's great, what did you think of it? Vocals are a little hard to warm to at first, then they just become part of the character of the album!
LOL

I had no problem with the vocals, they are quite quirky, a bit like Gong... which isn't surprising Tongue

Today:
Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Funkadelic - Free Your Mind
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 15:25
Tonights choices:

Beggars Opera – Pathfinder
The Byrds – Notorious Byrd Brothers
Van der Graaf Generator – The Least We Can Do...
Hawkwind – Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
Steve Hillage – Fish Rising
Andreas Vollenweider – Behind the Gardens
Biglietto Per L’Inferno – Il Tempo Della Semina
Area – Event ’76 (unlistenable tuneless waffling garbage! No music, just crashing noise!! Sounds like the death of music itself!!)

Then a modern one:

Astralis – Fantasia de Invierno (a nice Neo album that would be much better with far less vocals!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 17:55

Let me know when you do Smile
Will do. It'll probably be shortly after the Led Zep marathon is done.

Motorpsycho - Phanerothyme (Amazing album Audun! Clap I love its positive and sunny vibe, the same feeling I get when I listen to The Doors Cool)
Yeah, listening to it always leaves me with a smile on my face, and I agree about the sunny vibe as well. It really is a summer album for me (to be played in the summer, or any other time of the year when I wish it was summer LOL). I think I got the album and listened to it for the first time in the summer/early spring as well. And you're not the first to compare the sound of it to The Doors. I always think of The Beatles and The Beach Boys, too, when I listen to it, but that's perhaps because of the summer connection. LOL Glad you like it. As you probably understand by now, it's a spceial album for me. First MP album I got and heard. Pretty much love at first listen.

Anyway, the last couple of days:

Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - The Soundtrack from the Film The Song Remains the Same (their best live album? OK, that's probably HtWWW, but this is really great too, wonder why I don't listen to it more often...listening to the soundtrack beats watching the movie, that's for sure. The movie's good too, of course, but I prefer to just concentrate on the music, makes you realise how good it really is)

Edited by The Bearded Bard - June 03 2015 at 18:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 18:54
I guess I'm pretty predictable when it comes to my feelings about ARENA's overall sound approach.
I am definitely one of the Arena faithful.

Busy work day today. Home late. Bed early. Only 2 albums today, but I made it count!

Arena--The unquiet sky. ( yeah I am hooked. It's a perfect album. )
Lunatic Soul--Walking on a flashlight beam. (this album is a great way to appreciate a peaceful exsistence. )

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 15:37

Lunatic Soul--Walking on a flashlight beam. (this album is a great way to appreciate a peaceful exsistence. )

NIck, I've only just ripped this for the car, while start giving it a proper listen as of tomorrow night. I've got some kind of set that has a hard, book-like case which I think has both a bluray or dvd-audio version along with the CD.

Tonight's choices:

John Mitchell – Lonely Robot
Anthony Kalugin’s Kinematic Orkestra – AKKO 1
Andreas Vollenweider – Down to the Moon
Stratosphere – Aftermath
Erik Wollo – Blue Radiance
Steve Roach – Skeleton Keys
Tangerine Dream – Cyclone

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 04 2015 at 15:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 16:00

The Byrds – Notorious Byrd Brothers

Hawkwind – Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
So that's where your name comes from Smile Don't know them, only The Yardbirds Tongue

How's that Hawkwind album?

Yeah, listening to it always leaves me with a smile on my face, and I agree about the sunny vibe as well. It really is a summer album for me (to be played in the summer, or any other time of the year when I wish it was summer LOL). I think I got the album and listened to it for the first time in the summer/early spring as well. And you're not the first to compare the sound of it to The Doors. I always think of The Beatles and The Beach Boys, too, when I listen to it, but that's perhaps because of the summer connection. LOL Glad you like it. As you probably understand by now, it's a spceial album for me. First MP album I got and heard. Pretty much love at first listen.

Led Zeppelin - The Soundtrack from the Film The Song Remains the Same (their best live album? OK, that's probably HtWWW, but this is really great too, wonder why I don't listen to it more often...listening to the soundtrack beats watching the movie, that's for sure. The movie's good too, of course, but I prefer to just concentrate on the music, makes you realise how good it really is)
I'll have to get the album to listen this summer Tongue It is certainly easier to get into it at first listen than the last one, but both really great in different ways Smile By the way, I listened to a song from 'Death Defying Unicorn' the other day and it sounds really epic Big smile

I only saw the movie, it's really good although I find the 30 minute version of Dazed and Confused so boring Sleepy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 16:01
^^ How was Cyclone this time?

Also yesterday:
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Tangerine Dream - Cyclone

Today:
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Blue Öyster Cult - Agents of Fortune

Edited by Meltdowner - June 04 2015 at 16:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 09:03

NIck, I've only just ripped this for the car, while start giving it a proper listen as of tomorrow night. I've got some kind of set that has a hard, book-like case which I think has both a bluray or dvd-audio version along with the CD.

Tonight's choices:

John Mitchell – Lonely Robot
Anthony Kalugin’s Kinematic Orkestra – AKKO 1
Andreas Vollenweider – Down to the Moon
Stratosphere – Aftermath
Erik Wollo – Blue Radiance
Steve Roach – Skeleton Keys
Tangerine Dream – Cyclone

Hey man. The Lunatic soul album is fabulous. Explores all that dark ambient sound moods very well. It's a thinking man's music...a dreamer if you will. My favourite is the S/T track. Incredible work and the albums audio quality is just about first rate. :)
Also, how are your feelings on that Lonely Robot album? The opening track is great, but for the most part the album did not wow me. Tracks 6,7,8 are a tad mediocre which bog down the album.
Love John Mitchell though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 09:08
Keeping it simple. Another Arena day with an ambient finish.

Arena--Breakfast in Biarritz
Arena--Live and Life
Arena--The unquiet Sky
Lunatic Soul--Walking on a flashlight beam ( Michael. I have the deluxe version of this album. It comes with a 25min documentary that showcases Duda's influence and reasonings to create such a passionate, yet dàrk piece.
To me, he is the polish Steven Wilson. Kinda looks like him too! Lol)
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 14:05
Soft Machine - Softs
Patto - s/t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 511>