Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 507508509510511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 07:12
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 13:00

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 13:26
^Hey, that's also a very nice way of listing the albums here. Smile Me and Tom Ozric (who sadly does not drop by in this thread too often recetly) amicably consider Two Rainbows Daily from Hugh Hopper and Alan Gowen a masterpiece. How did you like it?

Eskaton - 4 Visions.
I knew it would happen! I love zeuhl, man! And especially the bands from the late 70's that are not only Magma. I enjoyed Weidorje immensly yesterday so I thought I would listen to this one - another very highly rated non-Magma zeuhl album. I was not disappointed! In fact, I loved this one. I really did. Perfect accompaniment to The Martian Chronicles, which I finnished today. (with an opera-like voice) Love it!
Cluster - Cluster II. I thought I'd come back to Cluster. I had remembered this album as a very solid effort and today's listen confirmed it. In my opinion, this is way better than their debut, which is generally higher rated. It has a very mystic vibe to it and what makes me really like it is that quirky sound of combo organ. Nice!
Klaus Schulze - Picutre Music. Throughout my Klaus Schulze listenings, I somehow missed ths album (and was reminded by the great Nico (Modrigue)) and I had to come back to it, because I really liked this era of Klaus' career. And the album was really nice! But I guess I could not enjoy it as much; after listening to the artist everyday for a week now, everything seems a bit monotone. I do appreciate it, though!
Dedalus - Dedalus. Italians really did have a great feel for jazz-rock/fusion. There are so many bands that have proved it over the years. This band is sort of lesser known, I think. Very nice interplay of all instruments and even though it's mainly based on improv, Dedalus make sure to include some variety to their music.

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 14:41
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

^Hey, that's also a very nice way of listing the albums here. Smile Me and Tom Ozric (who sadly does not drop by in this thread too often recetly) amicably consider Two Rainbows Daily from Hugh Hopper and Alan Gowen a masterpiece. How did you like it?

I love that album, is incredible how only two musicians can express so many emotions in just a few tracks. Pretty relaxing, delicate, and atmospheric record. '94 remastered version is great, it includes five live bonus tracks + Nigel Morris on percussion. Excellent Thumbs Up  
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 19:24
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 00:04
Pere Ubu - "The Modern Dance"
The Stooges - "I'm Sick of You!"
deM atlaS / MF DOOM - "mF deM"
Pere Ubu - "Dub Housing"
Ego Depths - "Dýrtangle"
Black Flag - "Family Man"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 00:38
Tuesday...

Mothership - Mothership
Bus - The Unknown Secretary
Wo Fat - The Black Code
Poseidotica - El Dilema Del Origen
Poseidotica - La Distancia
Pet The Preacher - The Banjo
Pathos - The Elixir

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 03:06
^ Very nice, that Pathos album Smile

Our Solar System - In Time
Electric Orange - Misophonia
Evership - s/t
MO-DU - MOD01
Ad Maiora - Repetita Iuvant
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 07:16
Only one album, several times:

Comedy of Errors - Spirit - OK, well, it's definitely better than the previous one. More mature, more varied, not as bouncy and silly, and the emotion on the album is heartfelt and genuine. It really doesn't sound too dissimilar to the early Pendragon albums (although not as prone to lengthy guitar solos).

But...I've finally figured out what it is about this band that personally irks me.....the lead singer sounds almost identical to Weird Al Yankovic!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 07:28
^ I only heard it once but it seemed to me worse than the previous one. I guess I like the "bounsillyness" of it, certainly makes sense with Weird Al's vocals LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 07:33
Yep, the earlier album had a `dorkier' sound with the constant up-tempo songs (urgh, I still have nightmares over that opening track with the kind of dancy beat behind it!), but this new one seemed like it was trying to be more thoughtful and mature. It flows nicely but still seems kind of unmemorable, for me at least. But personally, I don't think I'll be buying any more of their discs...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 07:43
I don't have any of their albums, there are way more interesting Neo Prog albums than these. I'd rather get some Pendragon, or more Arena albums, etc.

By the way, did you listen to the new Ad Maiora? I'm really liking it, more than the debut actually.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 07:50
No, I haven't got it yet, Sam. I think the band wanted to send it out to me to review, but nothing's shown up yet, and to be honest I don't even know if it's been sent at all at this point. Will report back when I get it (I mean, if they don't end up sending it, I'll likely be buying it at some point in the near future anyway).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 08:00
^ OK. I only got mine last Friday and it was sent when they had the CD copies ready.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 09:25
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Very nice, that Pathos album Smile

Yes, it is. I listened to it twice yesterday.
I have the CD but when I found the red/black vinyl copy on ebay this morning I had to buy it.  Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 09:51
Cool Thumbs Up
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 13:20
Dun - Eros. I love zeuhl! This is another great album. It was fully instrumental besides a few mumblings here and there. I really liked it. The original Eros was only like 36 minutes long or something. I listened to it with bonus tracks, which make it twice as long!
Ashra - Blackouts. I was suprised by this one. Compared to New Age of Earth, one would think this one would have been the first one. Classic Gottsching elements are there. He is said to have added a sequencer to his rig at that time which gives oustanding results and enables him to enter minimalist Berlin School territories.
German Oak - Nibelungenlied. Again, German Oak bless us with their jams. Every track offers a distinctive motiff that they jam on. In my humble opinion, their debut album was slightly more accomplished... I don't know, the idea is identical, yet it seemed more innovative, fresh.
Lol Coxhill & Steve Miller - Miller/Coxhill, Coxhill/Miller. This is this one Canterbury album that I always forget. On a big part, it is filled with free-form improvisations, but it's mainly composed of great semi-organized piano/sax combo pieces. Nice!
Eberhard Schoener - Meditation. This is as ambient as I have listened to so far. I guess the rule of ambient being more like "background music" really applies to this one. Schoener gets some very nice mellow, smooth, lush tones that seem to be made for this kind of music. Pretty good!

Edited by ALotOfBottle - July 27 2016 at 14:00
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 13:44
Al Green - Call me
Simon and Gar - Bookends
Cat Stevens - Numbers
Minutemen - What Makes a Man Start Fires

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 14:07
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Al Green - Call me
Simon and Gar - Bookends
Cat Stevens - Numbers
Minutemen - What Makes a Man Start Fires

Nice list.....and it's nice to see that people play things other than just full blown prog albums.
-------------------------------------------

I recently played...
Ys- Il baletto..
PFM- Per Amico
Rocky's Filj
Le Orme- Felona /Serona

After all these years I'm still tying to 'get into' RPI.....much of the music is great but I still can't get by some of the Italian vocals .....I just prefer my vocals and lyrics in English.
BTW...is there a web site that specializes in translating all these RPI lyrics into English for those of us who want to know what the hell they are singing about..?

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 14:13
Thanks Wu....yes I do listen to more Non-prog than prog these days....not really intentional, just follow moods.

I don't know of a specific site but Google Translate is always there.  Of course the translation are not perfect as any Italian speaker will confirm, but they give one a quick idea of content. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 507508509510511>