Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 15:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Dizzy is good Samuel!!

I remember that My Sleeping Karma album from a couple of years back. Heavy riff laden psych rock if I remember correctly?

Tame Impala - Currents
Banda do Casaco - Konks today
Yes it is! I continued my space trip on my way home with Equations, their album just keeps getting better Cool

You're right. It was a nice change of pace after Samsara's more aggressive sound Smile

I listened to a couple of tracks from that new album: if their previous music was too Pop for my taste, this one is even more Confused
Clap

Heh...yeah the new Tame Impala is very poppy....though in a nice 80s synth dressing. The trick is to play it right after something wild - like Fire! Orchestra if you get my drift. Soothes the punch with a cooling toniq of uncomplicated music and a great big beer/splif/dog/swim.

Konks today - konks tomorrow.
10-4

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 23 2015 at 15:03
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 16:30
Seven Impale--city of the sun. (Loving this one more and more with each listen. What a pleasure. A saxophonist's delight. )
NIN--year Zero (not as bad as most people let on. A rock solid electronic album. )
Pink Floyd--wish you were here. (I will never tire of this album. )
Symphony x--divine wings of tragedy. (Gearing up for underworld. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 01:12
Sleepy Sun - Fever
My Sleeping Karma - Tri
Sungrazer - self titled
Sunset In The 12th House - Moziac
Tides Of Man - Empire Theory
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 02:43
Pete Namlook/Klaus Schulze - Dark Side of The Moog vol 7
Radio Massacre International - Frozen North

Spacey electronic ambient friday Cool
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 06:10
^ I've never explored the dark side of the moog series before. There's just so much Schulze material out there that it literally makes my head spin. Aside from all his wonderful studio efforts, there's the La Vie Electronique series as well, which consist of something like a week's worth of new material that never found it's way onto an album.
Are there any must-haves in the dark side of the moog releases?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 10:48

^ I've never explored the dark side of the moog series before. There's just so much Schulze material out there that it literally makes my head spin. Aside from all his wonderful studio efforts, there's the La Vie Electronique series as well, which consist of something like a week's worth of new material that never found it's way onto an album.

Hi Dave. Well volume 7 is the only one I have and I love it. It's pretty trancey in parts (I know that would be a problem for some proggers but not you or I!) but ambient in others. That one comes recommended. The problem is they are all pretty rare and very expensive. I saw vol 7 for about £10 from an Amazon vendor and went for it straight off. I try to keep an eye out for any of the other volumes but no luck so far.

You're right about Klaus, the guy has just been so prolific. I have about 20 albums of his but that just scratches the surface. There's some gems on the LVE series though I've only got 4 of those. I love his last studio album Shadowlands. I'm really digging Are You Sequenced at the moment too.

How's life treating you?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 12:53
Tull....Chateau D'isaster 2 cd
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Hi Dave. Well volume 7 is the only one I have and I love it. It's pretty trancey in parts (I know that would be a problem for some proggers but not you or I!) but ambient in others. That one comes recommended. The problem is they are all pretty rare and very expensive. I saw vol 7 for about £10 from an Amazon vendor and went for it straight off. I try to keep an eye out for any of the other volumes but no luck so far.

You're right about Klaus, the guy has just been so prolific. I have about 20 albums of his but that just scratches the surface. There's some gems on the LVE series though I've only got 4 of those. I love his last studio album Shadowlands. I'm really digging Are You Sequenced at the moment too.

How's life treating you?

Ahh ok that explains a lot. Every time I seem to come across these Dark Side of the Moog releases, they cost a small fortune. Probably also why I've never taken the plunge - especially seeing as so many of his other albums are sold at a rather fair price. The ones from La Vie Electronique are often very cheap considering just how much music you get for your dough.
Heh I thought I was the only one who'd purchased Shadowlands. I simply adore the first disc but haven't really gotten my head around the second - felt a little too..erm docile/ambient perhaps? A revisit seems in place methinks.

Btw have you ever checked out Steve Moore's (one half of American electronic act Zombi) solo output? I think you'd dig his two most recent albums. Light Echoes sees him moving away from composed material and into a looser and ultimately more Berlin sounding palette with both nods to TD and Schulze (although he still retains his own 'voice' if you will), whereas his newest 'Pangaea Ultima' is a move towards a more original and modern expression.

I'm doing good thanks. I just spent a fortnight in Copenhagen, and while it was a lot of fun with friends and strangers, I still am feeling the aftermath of too much fun/drinking. So much so that I'm pondering just where the hell my summer vacation went. I start my studies in 10 days. Time to hit the water-wagon perhaps. 
Aside from that I'm just thrilled to lay around in my folks garden watching bumblebees flicker about like small fury drunk insects - listen to FSOL (like today) and just breathe ever so slowly. I love when time slows down to an ooze.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 24 2015 at 14:00

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:20

Heh...yeah the new Tame Impala is very poppy....though in a nice 80s synth dressing. The trick is to play it right after something wild - like Fire! Orchestra if you get my drift. Soothes the punch with a cooling toniq of uncomplicated music and a great big beer/splif/dog/swim.
On those cases I prefer listening to Jazz, Classical or Electronic stuff... like today Wink

I thought 5 CD's was enough for today, I guess not Tongue
Gazua - Convocação
Dream Theater - Awake
Anaquim - As Vidas dos Outros
The Doors - LA Woman
Syndone - Odysséas (Amazing as always, this album is an emotional roller coaster Smile)
Fire! Orchestra - Exit (Wild indeed Big smile)
Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:28
GotchaBig smile No pop for Kid Portuguese (Sounds like a gun slinger from an old western).

I just listened to LA Woman here the other day whilst visiting some friends. Man I love that album - then again i love every Doors album ever made - even The Soft Parade. 
Anyway, there's just something about putting LA Woman on while playing pool, completely unshaved and with a huge beer in one's hand. Go together like blue socks and whiskey - a match made in heaven.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:53

GotchaBig smile No pop for Kid Portuguese (Sounds like a gun slinger from an old western).

I just listened to LA Woman here the other day whilst visiting some friends. Man I love that album - then again i love every Doors album ever made - even The Soft Parade. 
Anyway, there's just something about putting LA Woman on while playing pool, completely unshaved and with a huge beer in one's hand. Go together like blue socks and whiskey - a match made in heaven.
LOL Pop Rock is tolerable, but their music is played over and over on the radio and I find his voice really annoying Confused I liked that new Pond album though Smile

Me too! That's not shocking to me, Soft Parade is actually one of my favourites Thumbs Up
That's probably because he has a huge beard on the cover photo Tongue
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:54
Morrison would probably agree with you Dave...

Man L.A Woman is my favourite Doors album and like you I like all their albums, Soft Parade included.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:02
Oh yeah - I'm far more into Pond these days. Their newest is one of the best albums I've heard all year. Oh well, they're also a lot more....interesting/progressive/psychedelicApprove

Speaking of The Soft Parade - do you own the boxset?
It has this INCREDIBLE live version of The Soft Parade (title track) that I find it hard returning to the one found on the original album.
Oh my there it is (thank you JooToob):

....and yes you're probably right - it's to do with the beardLOL LA Woman is better when you're unshaved.
Sagi knows what I'm on about.

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:12
Oh Dave you're the man! I don't own this boxset but this version of Soft Parade is absolutely the best, I knew it from the album Essential Rarities, I got that album before owning The Soft Parade and eventually when I got the original album I also thought Man how can I listen to this version after that live one? 
But of course in the end I've grown to like the original version too.

I'm glad you brought it up Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:23
Right back atcha my friend!Big smile That version is da bomb!! Jim's voice is booming.
It was recorded in studio right after they'd returned from the bar further down the street. A bit of whiskey is good I guess. It's a fine line though - especially with Jim.

The same boxset contains this little beauty (complete with Jim's words about fellatio):

Wrong picture though. Gloria was never on Absolutely LiveConfused

Ok I'll stop with ze Doors now. Safe to say the boxset is a no-brainer for anyone into this band. There's soooo much unreleased and utterly fantastic material to be found therein.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:38
I love the title track, it's "the best part of the trip". I didn't know that version, it's so awesome Big smile
I also didn't know the boxset, I'll have to look for it Thumbs Up I have a boxset with the first six studio albums and Absolutely Live on vinyl, it was the first LP I bought Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:42

I used to do the same thing while listening to Morrison Hotel.....though sadly I haven't played pool for awhile.
I need to take my son in law to the local pool hall.

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:45
Yeah pool and The Doors just work together.

And yes Samuel - you should definitely keep an eye out for that boxset. I promise you won't be disappointed.

- Douglas Adams
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 00:14
Protest The Hero - Volition
Plini - Sweet Nothings
Modern Day Babylon - Travelers
The Human Instinct - Stoned Guitar
The Black Mages - The Black Mages ll: The Skies Above
The Black Mages - The Black Mages lll: Darkness and Starlight
David Maxim Micic - Bilo 2.0
The Machine - Solar Corona
Causa Sui - Euporie Tide
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 11:56
Kid Portuguese. 😆👍

Today I surrender to headphone listening...

Joy division--Heart and soul box set (Disc 2 only. )
Saviour machine--Legend pt 2:1 special edition.
YES--Keys to ascension ( disc 2 only)--- gonna miss that Chris squire so much.
Devin Townsend-- deconstruction
Pink Floyd--WYWH
Panic room--Incarnate
Fields of the Nephilim--Remixes and rarities
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 376377378379380 511>